As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

196979899100102»

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Really, the whole Legendary system was just poorly thought out. Random drops with no tutoring for specific pieces when some of those pieces are far more valuable than others only really works in a game like D3, where enemies are loot pinatas and you're finding 5-6 Legendary items every 15 minutes.

For example, my two single target BiS Legendaries are two of the only three I haven't gotten yet, even though they're the two I've wanted more than anything else. Our main Priest healer, who has raided since launch, is only missing Velen's, by far the best Legendary he could have. Admittedly I don't think he grinds the old content to maximize his pity timer, but still, Legendaries have been dropping for over a year.

Hopefully moving forward they rework this system. I do love having lots of Legendaries that do different things, it's cool as a DPS to have different sets of gear that are more optimized for multi-target, single target, soloing, etc, but not having any choice over the order in which you get stuff that drops randomly really stinks. I would have vastly preferred a system where you can choose the order you get them in, or make it more deterministic (e.g. every two weeks if you fill up some bar by doing some stuff you get one).

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    1ff2nbr6u6k7.jpg
    Got something from all this Augunite farming at least.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nice! I got the Crimson one from Blistermaw the other day. I love their little excited puppy hop run.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I still wish I had a vague indication to whether a legendary would drop soon. Would help out a bunch with off-specs since I'm always wondering if I'm getting close to actually getting one, but I don't know what the system thinks.

Hell, make the fortune teller out on at the Darkmoon Faire do it for like 1k gold.

That's actually a pretty clever idea for a thematically appropriate goldsink and player quality-of-life feature.

I can't see how you actually implement this. Legendaries are a probability, not a "time to receive". All it could do would be show you your current % chance based on active bad luck protection, and even then different activities have different chances for legendaries. I don't see any way of unifying all the variables into a single piece of info to tell you how close you are.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    edit: nevermind

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I still wish I had a vague indication to whether a legendary would drop soon. Would help out a bunch with off-specs since I'm always wondering if I'm getting close to actually getting one, but I don't know what the system thinks.

Hell, make the fortune teller out on at the Darkmoon Faire do it for like 1k gold.

That's actually a pretty clever idea for a thematically appropriate goldsink and player quality-of-life feature.

I can't see how you actually implement this. Legendaries are a probability, not a "time to receive". All it could do would be show you your current % chance based on active bad luck protection, and even then different activities have different chances for legendaries. I don't see any way of unifying all the variables into a single piece of info to tell you how close you are.
    I think they should be a "time to receive".

There's nothing more demoralizing to me than the vagueness of "oh, if you keep doing content, you might get a legendary!", or "if you keep opening the paragon emissary caches, you might get a mount!". If you tell me that I need to open a thousand caches and then I'll get a mount, I'll grind out those caches like an idiot; if you tell me that I might get the mount whenever I open one, I'm just literally not going to do it at all.

edited September 2017
    I mean I'll still do it for the vague nebulous chance because operant conditioning works super well but I'm going to bitch about it a lot.

3cl1ps3 on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    If I'm doing some WQs for some reason (like if I need Order Resources or bacon or whatever), then absolutely, I will try to optimize it so I can finish an emissary in the process, and when I can get the paragon cache I'll pick it up. But I have too little time and much other interesting stuff to do to spend my time 100% WQs for the promise of maybe a reward.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    If I'm doing some WQs for some reason (like if I need Order Resources or bacon or whatever), then absolutely, I will try to optimize it so I can finish an emissary in the process, and when I can get the paragon cache I'll pick it up. But I have too little time and much other interesting stuff to do to spend my time 100% WQs for the promise of maybe a reward.

This sums up my feeling about a lot of things this expansion

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think they could've easily solved basically the whole problem by having like, a six week quest or something that rewarded you with a selected class legendary; do it kinda like they gated the class hall campaign initially, with some weekly lockout bits, some follower missions, etc.

There's nothing more demoralizing to me than the vagueness of "oh, if you keep doing content, you might get a legendary!", or "if you keep opening the paragon emissary caches, you might get a mount!". If you tell me that I need to open a thousand caches and then I'll get a mount, I'll grind out those caches like an idiot; if you tell me that I might get the mount whenever I open one, I'm just literally not going to do it at all.

I mean this basically is how it works, there just isn't a visible counter of the number of bits of entropy you've put toward a legendary drop

maybe it would feel better if there were a counter, I dunno

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I think they could've easily solved basically the whole problem by having like, a six week quest or something that rewarded you with a selected class legendary; do it kinda like they gated the class hall campaign initially, with some weekly lockout bits, some follower missions, etc.

I mean this basically is how it works, there just isn't a visible counter of the number of bits of entropy you've put toward a legendary drop

maybe it would feel better if there were a counter, I dunno

Aren't MMORPGs basically about filling bars (when you aren't praying for/rolling on loot drops)? Seeing that incremental progress is like the most core, fundamental part of the gameplay loop, so it's kind of bizarre to have anything that could be described as a progress meter not visible to the player in any way.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Because it's not a progress meter. Yes, theoretically bad luck protection can eventually result in having a 100% chance that your next activity will lead to a legendary, but you'd have to be monumentally unlucky to get to that point.

One of my concerns is that I really like the legendary system in concept - that is, powerful items that do rotation-disrupting things. It's just the distribution format that is horribly flawed. I'm concerned because I'm worried they'll just dump the whole idea next expansion rather than coming up with a way to make it work :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Nice! I got the Crimson one from Blistermaw the other day. I love their little excited puppy hop run.

Just please stop riding it around Dalaran, you're giving all the citizens heart attacks.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    One of my concerns is that I really like the legendary system in concept - that is, powerful items that do rotation-disrupting things. It's just the distribution format that is horribly flawed. I'm concerned because I'm worried they'll just dump the whole idea next expansion rather than coming up with a way to make it work :(

OH that's 100% what's going to happen

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Because it's not a progress meter. Yes, theoretically bad luck protection can eventually result in having a 100% chance that your next activity will lead to a legendary, but you'd have to be monumentally unlucky to get to that point.

Yeah but you can quantify how much BLP you got pretty easily and that alone would make people feel like they are getting somewhere. And sometimes just seeing something like that helps so much.

But I mean honestly, you could make an addon that just increases a number every time you do a thing that could give a legendary. Just to remind you how far you have come with BLP. Hell maybe even guestimate how much each thing is worth. It doesn't even need to be super accurate because it is just a representation. Almost makes me want to learn how to make addons to do it.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Creating a bar that you could follow would only increase the urge to grind, which would suck.

Javen wrote: »
    Creating a bar that you could follow would only increase the urge to grind, which would suck.

I dunno, I would rather know what I'm working towards than just hope and pray I will randomly win the lottery twice (once for getting a legendary, the other for it not being a shitty one). I don't mind a little grinding if there is a clear goal I'm working towards. It's the grinding for the random chance to maybe someday get something that I don't like.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    completely randomly: I'm messing around on alts and I love that demonology warlock has a spell that launches imps riding felhounds at a target. Very entertaining.

I dunno, I would rather know what I'm working towards than just hope and pray I will randomly win the lottery twice (once for getting a legendary, the other for it not being a shitty one). I don't mind a little grinding if there is a clear goal I'm working towards. It's the grinding for the random chance to maybe someday get something that I don't like.

Yeah, but the way the system currently works it would not be possible to have a bar that guarantees you a legendary when it's full. You could only ever represent the current chance based on your BLP.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is flying unlocked per account, or per server?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious

Yeah, but the way the system currently works it would not be possible to have a bar that guarantees you a legendary when it's full. You could only ever represent the current chance based on your BLP.

Oh yeah, you'd have to totally redesign the whole thing. I'm talking about like, if they don't abandon the idea next expansion. Or like, anything in general (I feel like this expansion has a lot of that kind of stuff... Like all the 1% chance emissary crap, none of which I have ever gotten)

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Account WoD (achievement), and Legion (different achievement). Character in MoP, and earlier expansions.

steam_sig.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Account WoD (achievement), and Legion (different achievement). Character in MoP, and earlier expansions.

Sorry, yeah I meant Legion flying.

Still havent gotten WoD flying because the one Assault mission I need hasn't appeared in months.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I came back on Legion prepatch so didn't bothered with Draenor Pathfinder. Is not like you NEED it, even going from bonus area to bonus area doesn't take that long.

On stuff, first Leggo on Baby Shaman, woo! Is the chest, that is tier 2, and in a slot that I already used Augunite, but is something at least. Also bought the new 935 crafted pieces, so only missing Belt, Gloves and Relics.

• delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Sorry, yeah I meant Legion flying.

Still havent gotten WoD flying because the one Assault mission I need hasn't appeared in months.

I'm not sure if it counts for the achievement, but I think there's an NPC near the garrison resource cache that sells (for resources) items to start any of those Assault missions.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I think missions are only available after you do the corresponding daily. I could be wrong though

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    completely randomly: I'm messing around on alts and I love that demonology warlock has a spell that launches imps riding felhounds at a target. Very entertaining.

Yes and it is a really good talent as well giving you four demons per cast of fel hounds. They better let that or something like it stay in the next expansion because it is also the most demonically adorable thing ever.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'll start a new thread when I get home tonite, but I haven't been playing WOW much lately so the OP is going to be very lite on content. If someone would like to jump in ahead of me, please do.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Making some assumptions here:

Geth lock the thread

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Making some assumptions here:

Geth lock the thread

I think you need mod/admin privileges to do that.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the thread doesn't need to be locked as long as people just stop posting in it

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.