The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Insight on 2018 dates?

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
I'm guessing the 31st-3rd but the WSCC calendar is not showing anything and I can't recall which years PAX gets preempted for the doctors convention thing.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
myjlGB4.png

Posts

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The WSCC calender isn't going to show PAX, they keep them from showing it. Since moving to the WSCC, PAX been on Labor Day except once every 4 years. 2015, 2011, and 2007. It is almost certainly going to be on Labor Day in 2018. It won't be on 9/7-9/10 because Dam Safety is then. It won't be on 8/24-27 because both The Seattle Gift Show and SharePoint Fest Seattle would be in the way. When reading the calendar, you have to consider PAX Dev and the setup time needed.

    YoungFrey on
    SkeleVader
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    The WSCC calender isn't going to show PAX, they keep them from showing it. Since moving to the WSCC, PAX been on Labor Day except once every 4 years. 2015, 2011, and 2007. It is almost certainly going to be on Labor Day in 2018. It won't be on 9/7-9/10 because Dam Safety is then. It won't be on 8/24-27 because both The Seattle Gift Show and SharePoint Fest Seattle would be in the way. When reading the calendar, you have to consider PAX Dev and the setup time needed.

    Also, they need the tear down time after PAX. There is currently a giant hole in the schedule around labor day and Sheraton has no rooms available for that time. I would think it is certain to be Labor day weekend again next year. Since we basically already know the date I, wish PA would just help out the attendees and make it official so people can schedule time off and travel whenever they need to.

  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    The WSCC calender isn't going to show PAX, they keep them from showing it. Since moving to the WSCC, PAX been on Labor Day except once every 4 years. 2015, 2011, and 2007. It is almost certainly going to be on Labor Day in 2018. It won't be on 9/7-9/10 because Dam Safety is then. It won't be on 8/24-27 because both The Seattle Gift Show and SharePoint Fest Seattle would be in the way. When reading the calendar, you have to consider PAX Dev and the setup time needed.


    Dam Safety is the other big convention I wait for all year! Also, I got an e-mail from the Seattle Homewood offering a discount for re-booking with them for PAX 2018. The dates show 8/29 (Wed) - 9/4 (Tues).



    I need my dam to remain safe...!

    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Also, I got an e-mail from the Seattle Homewood offering a discount for re-booking with them for PAX 2018. The dates show 8/29 (Wed) - 9/4 (Tues).
    Interesting. As an hhonors member, I've not received anything like this. And while I can page over to that weekend for 2018, the site is currently saying that there is nothing available for it or a few weeks previous.

    I'm going to guess the system just doesn't let me reserve anything this far in advance :P

    PAX Prim..err, West 2018 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Badges [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Name on Forum Badge
    ZJpbXmR.png
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've seen PAX on the WSCC calendar quite a few times but not until closer in the year. Why would PA care. I've been going since 09 so I've got a good handle on times just couldn't recall the last "off date" sounds like it going to be 2019 for the next one. Thanks for the insight. I've reserved my timeshare. :)

    And yes I've tried 2 or 3 years now to reserve normal hotels a year out and their booking systems just won't let you. You should have better luck early in the year but people tend to grab the ones not reserved for onpeak fairly quick.

    ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    myjlGB4.png

  • smashilatorsmashilator Registered User regular
    Dam Safety: Don't just be safe. Be Dam safe :biggrin:

    P.D.B. FishsticksCroatian Sensation
  • DEAFGAMERDEAFGAMER Registered User new member
    Hello
    I am first time here
    I ask when come PAX WEST 2018? I must check my date and press media note

    PAX EAST
    PAX WEST
    PAX SOUTH 2019 = ?

    Please tell me,
    thank you

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The general timeframe for future PAXes is known, but the exact dates are usually not announced until ~6 months out.

    PAX South is mid to late-January
    PAX East March-April, this year taking place April 5-8.
    Pax West is almost always Labor Day weekend, but occasionally happens a week before or after. As others have stated in this thread, signs point to it being Labor Day weekend this year.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    YoungFreyIncreaseBlueDEAFGAMER
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Booked a hotel for labor day weekend.

    sqdWXXl.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Assassin's Creed
    Youtube | Twitter
    DEAFGAMER
  • DEAFGAMERDEAFGAMER Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The general timeframe for future PAXes is known, but the exact dates are usually not announced until ~6 months out.

    PAX South is mid to late-January
    PAX East March-April, this year taking place April 5-8.
    Pax West is almost always Labor Day weekend, but occasionally happens a week before or after. As others have stated in this thread, signs point to it being Labor Day weekend this year.

    Okay I am not in US that I live in Europe.
    The planning must be before 6 months early booking my vacation and hotels, flight. This isn't easy for me. I have many collapse planning date from Press Media and my work.
    On PAX East I can not attend there :bigfrown:

    for help is us :biggrin:

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DEAFGAMER wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The general timeframe for future PAXes is known, but the exact dates are usually not announced until ~6 months out.

    PAX South is mid to late-January
    PAX East March-April, this year taking place April 5-8.
    Pax West is almost always Labor Day weekend, but occasionally happens a week before or after. As others have stated in this thread, signs point to it being Labor Day weekend this year.

    Okay I am not in US that I live in Europe.
    The planning must be before 6 months early booking my vacation and hotels, flight. This isn't easy for me. I have many collapse planning date from Press Media and my work.
    On PAX East I can not attend there :bigfrown:

    for help is us :biggrin:

    Is this a question? In case it is, I'll say it again:
    There has not been an official date anounced for PAX West.
    There likely will not be an official date anounced until May or June (whenever tickets go on sale).
    Every indicator we do have says it will be over Labor Day (August 31 - September 3).
    Those indicators are:
    • Hotels are unavailable that weekend (but are available on the surrounding weekends)
    • The year is off the 4 year cycle (2007, 2011, and 2015 were not on Labor Day)
    • The other events sceduled in the convention center leave only 1 weekend available (PAX requires the whole convention center and several days before and after to set up and tear down).

    ASimPersonwykydtronik
  • anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    Perhaps my memory is failing me, but don't we usually have dates confirmed by now? It's usually in February I thought.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Perhaps my memory is failing me, but don't we usually have dates confirmed by now? It's usually in February I thought.

    Not recently no. I want to say in 2017 it was very close to when tickets went on sale. If not at the exact same time.

    anettie76
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Perhaps my memory is failing me, but don't we usually have dates confirmed by now? It's usually in February I thought.

    Not recently no. I want to say in 2017 it was very close to when tickets went on sale. If not at the exact same time.

    I'm pretty sure last year we knew the dates a decent amount of time before tickets went on sale because I bought my plane ticket knowing the dates but held off on the hotel because I wanted to get it with the tickets.

    *edit*

    Actually it looks like the dates became official in April (Info via this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210063/pax-west-2017-dates#latest)

    KopeAcetic on
    IncreaseBlue
  • anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Perhaps my memory is failing me, but don't we usually have dates confirmed by now? It's usually in February I thought.

    Not recently no. I want to say in 2017 it was very close to when tickets went on sale. If not at the exact same time.

    I'm pretty sure last year we knew the dates a decent amount of time before tickets went on sale because I bought my plane ticket knowing the dates but held off on the hotel because I wanted to get it with the tickets.

    *edit*

    Actually it looks like the dates became official in April (Info via this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210063/pax-west-2017-dates#latest)

    Thank you for the responses. I have a place booked, but I'm really anxious about getting this party started. :) It's only six months away, after all.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Perhaps my memory is failing me, but don't we usually have dates confirmed by now? It's usually in February I thought.

    Not recently no. I want to say in 2017 it was very close to when tickets went on sale. If not at the exact same time.

    I'm pretty sure last year we knew the dates a decent amount of time before tickets went on sale because I bought my plane ticket knowing the dates but held off on the hotel because I wanted to get it with the tickets.

    *edit*

    Actually it looks like the dates became official in April (Info via this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210063/pax-west-2017-dates#latest)

    Yeah, that is definitely more lead time than I remembered. I guess compared to previous years, when tickets were on sale in April (2010, 11, 12, and 13), that seems very late.

  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Guess I'm holding out on buying my flight at least until next month. Here's hoping prices drop a bit. Idk about everyone else but Alaska Air has gotten way more expensive this year.

    *Slinks back into the shadows*

  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Guess I'm holding out on buying my flight at least until next month. Here's hoping prices drop a bit. Idk about everyone else but Alaska Air has gotten way more expensive this year.

    *Slinks back into the shadows*

    Where are you coming from? For me, Alaska is sitting pretty close, if not a bit cheaper than this time last year (I'm leaving from BWI). Though I don't book until after I secure tickets, so hopefully they hold at this price.

  • HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    I'm planning on heading to Las Vegas for VMWorld sunday through thursday afternoon, then popping up to Seattle for PAX on Friday through monday on my way home :) Ultimate nerd convention week!

    CKingCroatian SensationIncreaseBlue
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Coming from Arizona, Southwest is higher than it usually is. It was about $100 cheaper this time last year.

    IncreaseBlue
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Okay, NOW Alaska Airlines is more expensive than this time last year.

    IncreaseBlue
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Coming from Arizona, Southwest is higher than it usually is. It was about $100 cheaper this time last year.

    I'm in YoungFrey's boat. I'll keep an eye on it because I know airfare goes up and down but these prices certainly worry me a bit.

  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Alaska Airlines out of Vegas is only $5 more than last year ($171 instead of $166). I'm tempted to buy right now, but without date confirmation I'm not sure. Even though I'm like 99% sure...

    PAX Prime '07, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17
    PAX South '15
    PAX East '16, '17
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »
    Alaska Airlines out of Vegas is only $5 more than last year ($171 instead of $166). I'm tempted to buy right now, but without date confirmation I'm not sure. Even though I'm like 99% sure...

    It's more like 99.9%. The only risk factor is one that has yet to occur in the history of PAX, making it something we can't account for.

  • hamadrianohamadriano Registered User regular
    Same situation with Alaskan here

    ISksJel.png
  • ImZelkovaImZelkova Registered User regular
    I'm eagerly waiting on dates to be confirmed, but moreso for getting a decent airbnb rather than flight.

    OGrhkY6.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get worried with how much airfare is rising. 3 times in less than a week and a half. Only comforting thing is that this is no where near the usual sweet spot.

    IncreaseBlue
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    This is interesting to think about...

    East is doing it's first time at four days this year, and they are starting Thursday instead of running through Monday. I wonder if Pri...err, West is going to do the same...

    PAX Prim..err, West 2018 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Badges [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Name on Forum Badge
    ZJpbXmR.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    This is interesting to think about...

    East is doing it's first time at four days this year, and they are starting Thursday instead of running through Monday. I wonder if Pri...err, West is going to do the same...

    I had not considered this, but would think it's a bit unlikely since the Monday of West falls on Labor Day. If they changed it, that would mean more days off people would have to request :(

  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    I had not considered this, but would think it's a bit unlikely since the Monday of West falls on Labor Day. If they changed it, that would mean more days off people would have to request :(

    Hey, I for one would be happy to have an excuse to take more days to explore Seattle :biggrin:

    anettie76
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I doubt west will be changing, though I have no information one way or the other.

    1Hpxumw.png5OEMupX.png
    IncreaseBlue
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This is interesting to think about...

    East is doing it's first time at four days this year, and they are starting Thursday instead of running through Monday. I wonder if Pri...err, West is going to do the same...

    I had not considered this, but would think it's a bit unlikely since the Monday of West falls on Labor Day. If they changed it, that would mean more days off people would have to request :(

    If 2019 follows the trend of PAX West not being on Labor Day weekend, they would have fewer reasons to not start on Thursday at least. I don't think it'd really gain them anything, so I'd be surprised if it happens.

    IncreaseBlue
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Also, don’t forget that PAX Dev runs before PAX West, on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a day off to prepare for PAX West. If PAX West were moved back a day, so would PAX Dev, which means rather than having Monday for last minute PAX Dev setup, they would need to have it all done on Sunday. I doubt they would go to that much trouble.

    Croatian Sensationbacon_avengerIncreaseBlueanettie76
Sign In or Register to comment.