As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twitch ads.

CromartyCromarty DanielleRegistered User regular
I like to watch streams on SRL sometimes and lately, even on streams that I know for a fact do not run ads, an ad will play as soon as I try to load the stream. It is distressing and disturbing. I have already solved this problem on my machine at home with streamlink, but still like, what the hell? Why is this happening?
I've had this happen elsewhere as well, like on Twitch itself and on Saltybet, but for the moment it seems to be only SRL.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Twitch runs ads in front of most streams as far as I know. Streamers don't generally get to decide if ads run on their own stream or not unless I'm missing a setting somewhere. You can always use uBlock Origin or Adblock to block the ads, but the ads showing up isn't usually indicative of a problem. Unless you're getting like, weird malware ads.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    There’s also, y’know, the Twitch Prime option which gets you ad-free across the entire site.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Twitch runs ads in front of most streams as far as I know. Streamers don't generally get to decide if ads run on their own stream or not unless I'm missing a setting somewhere. You can always use uBlock Origin or Adblock to block the ads, but the ads showing up isn't usually indicative of a problem. Unless you're getting like, weird malware ads.
    I know at some point adblock just stopped working with the html5 player, but it wasn't until more recently that I started seeing this. Used to be I could pull up whichever stream on the SRL front page and never see an ad. I know a few in particular that got partnered or something so they could run ads, but the way that would go, they'd be going on a break and say "okay, I'm going to run an ad and I'll be back in five minutes" or something, and then it would play the ad. That was the only time they ever came up.
    So for me, ads getting dropped in front of every stream without exception looks like something strange is going on.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    There’s also, y’know, the Twitch Prime option which gets you ad-free across the entire site.
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I have already solved this problem on my machine at home with streamlink,

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    if adblock isn't blocking them it may be that twitch paid them to whitelist twitch's ads in the default filters, as I vaguely recall that adblock was quietly offering advertisers that service at some point
    try using ublock origin instead and see if it still happens

like I know that sounds sort of paranoid but it's worth a shot trying a different blocker

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    if adblock isn't blocking them it may be that twitch paid them to whitelist twitch's ads in the default filters, as I vaguely recall that adblock was quietly offering advertisers that service at some point
    try using ublock origin instead and see if it still happens

like I know that sounds sort of paranoid but it's worth a shot trying a different blocker

Could be. In Adblock Plus's settings, by default, it has a box checked that says something along the lines of "let some acceptable ads through". You have to uncheck it for it block them. I switched to ublock origin.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, make sure it's set to run on the page you're viewing the video on. I see youtube ads if I watch the videos here on the PA site because I have the ad blocker turned off for the penny arcade domain.