As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Maz where the hell did you find the CE pre-order?

EDIT: Never mind, Gamestop had it. Deal with the devil is a go.

I got if off Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075LKWQN2

Also, here's the gameplay segment from Gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_R1QP3prb4

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Systems look very interesting.

MC still looks dreadful and I'm saddened knowing how much that is going to affect my enjoyment of the game.

Here's hoping that there's another one of the Drivers that is actually appealing to me to play as.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Maz where the hell did you find the CE pre-order?

EDIT: Never mind, Gamestop had it. Deal with the devil is a go.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xenoblade-chronicles-2-collectors-edition-nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch/6111329.p?skuId=6111329

^ where I got mine. Still in stock even.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Systems look very interesting.

MC still looks dreadful and I'm saddened knowing how much that is going to affect my enjoyment of the game.

Here's hoping that there's another one of the Drivers that is actually appealing to me to play as.

I'm probably missing something obvious (still watching the videos) but... MC?

I'm pumped for the game...love the series. The only thing I see that I don't like is the blade entities feeding power to your character. I like the concept, but having them on the field always behind you seems like they will constantly be getting in the way of the camera. I'm noticing in this long video posted above that most of the time he is very zoomed out and looking down from a high position, which is a camera view I really don't enjoy.
    Hopefully it won't really be an issue, but we shall see! Not that it would stop me from playing =p.

Coming from Xenoblade X, I'm certainly going to miss flying around in a big ass mech. Hopefully there will be some fantasy type version of flying around for this game.

Also, while impossible, I hope they have as good of a town theme song as Xenoblade X did =p.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    MC = Main Character.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Ah ha. Duh! Thanks =).

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like there have been some graphical changes since the initial reveal

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm curious about what the combat is going to be like. XCX felt like it had way too many things going on at once and too many poorly explained systems. I managed to blunder through the story well enough without knowing the details or bothering to figure out enhancing equipment, but I ended up being walled by Rexoskell. The fact that if you last long enough 90% of the combat is replaced by a much simpler system probably didn't help.

XC was more focused, and I felt closer to mastering it as a result.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, XCX combat was a mess of too many systems. I think there were also issues with balance between classes and such making it worse, since everyone's going to want to run what seems neat to them.

Skell combat was too simple though - it was all "press X on cooldown" and hope for cockpit RNG.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Shulk struck me as a total generic JRPG dork at the outset of XC1, so I'm not totally counting Rex out for potentially having some interesting character development down the line.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So far they have earned my trust to make me like the characters.

XC had some amazingly fun and complex characters. In fact, all of them were great characters for different reasons.

XCX had some fantastic characters also, and even made morons like H.B. and Boze interesting. Then it had characters like L and Mia that were all kinds of amazing.

I trust that they know what they are doing.

As they say, it's not over until the fat baby sings!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Shulk struck me as a total generic JRPG dork at the outset of XC1, so I'm not totally counting Rex out for potentially having some interesting character development down the line.

I always took that as intentional as it subverts a few tropes as it goes and he has to evolve.

Although it was refreshing that his motivation to begin with was revenge and he didn't shy away from that.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

I always took that as intentional as it subverts a few tropes as it goes and he has to evolve.

Although it was refreshing that his motivation to begin with was revenge and he didn't shy away from that.

Yeah, I was actually floored when the initial part of his story was simply "I'm going to kill those metal fuckers." Don't see it that often or that direct in the genre for the main character. It's usually a sidekick trait.

And it makes everything that follows so good. It all felt earned.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

Yeah, I was actually floored when the initial part of his story was simply "I'm going to kill those metal fuckers." Don't see it that often or that direct in the genre for the main character. It's usually a sidekick trait.

And it makes everything that follows so good. It all felt earned.

Yeah I have a soft spot for otherwise heroic characters motivated by revenge. It's why I like Heather from Silent Hill 3 so much.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm curious about what the combat is going to be like. XCX felt like it had way too many things going on at once and too many poorly explained systems. I managed to blunder through the story well enough without knowing the details or bothering to figure out enhancing equipment, but I ended up being walled by Rexoskell. The fact that if you last long enough 90% of the combat is replaced by a much simpler system probably didn't help.

XC was more focused, and I felt closer to mastering it as a result.

The biggest problem with X's combat was the six different damage types. The original had two, a perfectly serviceable amount. Six is just way too many, especially if your party can only have four people in it!

Aside from all of that, I'd say that the single biggest issue with XCX is that Skells can't jump after you get flight.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I guess I need to buy a Switch in December.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Aside from all of that, I'd say that the single biggest issue with XCX is that Skells can't jump after you get flight.

well, let's be honest, would you?

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    And the flight music transitions immediately instead of waiting a moment since you were just gonna land anyway. You'd think double jumping would be the best way to activate the flight module.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yes.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hah! I'm with @Magic Pink here. Until this moment I literally had no idea you couldn't jump once getting flight. Like, it never crossed my mind that I couldn't anymore. Hilarious.

On another note, I fucking loved XCX. Warts and all one of my most favorite games.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yes.

sorry the correct answer was No.

I need to get back. I got to the second phase of the lion-men boss fight and realized I needed to grind.

That was 16 months ago.

Enlong wrote: »
    I need to get back. I got to the second phase of the lion-men boss fight and realized I needed to grind.

That was 16 months ago.
    Second phase? You mean when they get in their skells? The first part of the fight against the Wrothians was the hardest for me, mainly because Ga Jiarg has a nasty AoE attack that wrecked me a few times. I'm not sure if it was beam or thermal, but it hurts. My guess is thermal because Elma's beam resist was 100 and from what I can remember she still took a lot of damage.

During the second phase the hardest hitting of Vasara's attacks are beam damage. I had a single Mastema, I believe it has the highest beam resist so that might be part of why I had a relatively easy time with it.

edited September 2017

That was 16 months ago.

Same thing happened to me when I played. Going through the game and doing fine, doing fine, doing fine suddenly Thunder Cats and I get my ass handed to me.

For anyone playing the game or looking to I recommend checking out these character builds. The game relies on synergy between abilites and then synergy between characters to make combat shine. Unfortunately these synergies are pretty damn specific so if you're not using the "correct build" combat may be a chore or unfun. One of the gripes I have with the game.
    I did not create this, but I do use it and give it Axen's Seal of Approval.

Elma
    Art Selection:
    • Killing Machine
    • Primer
    • Electric Surge
    • Shadow Strike
    • Hundred Shells
    • Sliding Stinger/Filler
    • Side Slash
    • Ghost Factory

Skill Selection:
    • Background Noise
    • Crisis Catalyst
    • Master Edge
    • Steady Hand/Mortal Enemy

Elma, unfortunately, relies on positioning to maximize her damage. This wouldn't be a problem if the AI wasn't so finicky with utilizing positional skills correctly, but as it is, Elma's performance is going to be a bit unstable. However, Ghost Factory alone makes Elma worth consideration due to how powerful a party wide decoy is, only failing to give adequate defenses against enemies that have multiple multi hit attacks, of which there are a few, and enemies that have attacks that can bypass decoy, of which there are even fewer. So, despite how unstable Elma tends to be, she is definitely worth consideration for a Party, although keep in mind she's kind of frail, due to having no Flesh skills and only having Ghost Factory for defense.

Elma goes the Melee route because her skills lean that way and she only has 3 ranged arts, only 2 of which that deal noticeable damage. Stinger is filler, I put it there for it's TP regen, as is Steady Hand. Feel free to exchange Stinger for something else if you want, same with Steady Hand, but best alternative I could see to that was Mortal Enemy... she doesn't really have any useful skills to put in the 4th slot.

Lin
    Art Selection:
    • Drum Roll
    • Reality Rift
    • Trash Talk
    • Cool Off
    • Shield Wall
    • Supershield
    • Wild Smash
    • Filler/Wild Down

Skill Selection:
    • Shield Screen
    • Steel Flesh/Dirty Fighter
    • Stand Strong

Lin is not as good a pure Tank as L, since she doesn't have access to Astral Protection or Mindstorm, but she deals far more damage than he does due to access to Drum Roll, an extremely powerful offensive art. Lin sacrifices a bit of her viability as a tank to actually be able to damage enemies. Whether or not that's worth it is up to you. I personally think she has merit to use over L, since L's only use hinges on if the AI uses Trash Talk correctly or not, while Lin can be useful even if she isn't using Trash Talk.

Lin learns Wild Down (L does too), but Lin also learns Dirty Fighter, unlike L, which means in addition to the native 50% damage boost everyone gets from attacking a toppled enemy, she get another 100% and all on Drum Roll... which is devastating. Before postgame though and Arts: Gain Tp, 3 Tp Arts for a single AI tend to be too much, so you can always opt for something else. You can do that postgame as well since Toppling endgame tyrants requires 1-2 resistance reducers, and maybe someone that can stagger, like Elma can with Shadow Strike.

Irina
    Art Selection:
    • Last Stand
    • Smooth Recovery
    • Repair
    • Absorber Skin
    • Energy Source
    • Assault Hammer
    • Flash Grenade/Medic Free
    • Quick Cannon

Skill Selection:
    • Inner Search
    • Healing Touch/Filler
    • High Tension
    • Filler

One look at Irina and it's easy to tell she's hard support. Exclusive access to the party wide healing art Smooth Recovery wasn't enough, nope, she also learns Last Stand. This art at max level gives every other party member 2k TP, at the cost of 1k. Irina is one of the only two party members that learn this art. She also gets Quick Cannon, so she can also be fitted to deal some damage if you give her some Ranged Attack Up. Irina is the best full support party member in the game, and is definitely worth consideration.

Flash Grenade is better during the main game, but postgame when you can get Arts: Gain TP, Medic Free actually gives Irina some survivability, since she is one of the most defensively frail characters in the game, she needs as much defense as you can throw at her. Besides her frailty, her Skill selection sucks, which is also rather unfortunate. Still one of the best Party Members you can pick if you give her enough defense. Her comrade-in-arms however, isn't so lucky...

Gwin
    Art Selection:
    • Defensive Stance/Gunforce
    • Flash Grenade
    • Furious Blast
    • Grenade Blitz
    • Takedown Shot
    • Power Dive
    • Tornado Blade

Skill Selection :
    • Conflagrant Edge
    • Healing Aura
    • Theroid Slayer

Gwin is an unfortunate one. His DPS is... there I suppose, but it's honestly pretty underwhelming. From his skills, I could tell he was suffering an identity crisis, because those skills are more suited for a melee user while Gwin's Arts pretty much force him to use Ranged attacks, and even his ranged attacks don't deal too much damage, besides Grenade Blitz and Furious Blast. Only real positive I can offer to Gwin is that he can use Defensive Stance with minimal penalty, which aids immensely with his survival. His Offensive TP arts under perform and he doesn't learn anything to boost his potential so they could deal serviceable damage. For overall damage, just boosting Ranged Attack is better in the long run for Gwin. He is outpaced by so many other characters in terms of usefulness, that I find there's not much reason to use him, unless you want to do his affinity missions. He learns no support arts that could make him usable like Irina, and has mediocre DPS and only average survivability with Defensive Stance.

Whether or not you want to use Gun Force depends on if you want Gwin to be more durable or deal more damage. Don't use both though, as mentioned earlier, the AI can not juggle multiple Auras very well. Gwin should be using a Thermal Assault Rifle to take advantage of Conflagrant Edge.

Doug
    Art Selection:
    • Subterfuge/Myopic Screen
    • Geolibrium
    • Starfall Rondo
    • Starfall Blade
    • Starlight Duster
    • Galactic Cataclysm
    • Pathogen Blast/Myopic Screen
    • Gravity Blast

Skill Selection:
    • Inner Search
    • Supreme Sword
    • Aura Assault
    • Beam Boost

Doug is alright at DPSing, Inner Search, Beam Boost, Supreme Sword, and Aura Assault all allow for Starlight Duster and Galactic Cataclysm to hit reasonably hard. The support he provides lies with his debuffing, as he learns Subterfuge, as well as some other debuff arts to take advantage of subterfuge. If you're more interested in Doug having the most actual debuffs, rather than subterfuge to make them easier to land for him and the party, you can take Myopic Screen over it, if not, then you can take Myopic other Pathogen, since Pathogen's viability depends on what you're fighting (Virus disables ranged arts for enemies). However, keep in mind that debuffs tend to be kind of useless postgame without 1-2 resistance reducers.

Doug is a pretty decent substitute for Mia until you get her, and even after, he's solid enough to be used over Mia if you like him more as a character. As far as how he matches up overall against the cast, he's useful for subterfuge and his debuffs before postgame, but drops in terms of usefulness when you get Mia and drops again postgame, because he's outdone in terms of damage, utility, and survivability by other party members.

Hope
    Art Selection:
    • Astral Protection
    • Energy Source
    • Repair
    • Absorber Skin
    • Brain Jack/ Tacit Censure
    • Servant Sacrifice/ Black Butterfly
    • Stellar Ray
    • Shooting Star

Skill Selection:
    • Knight's Soul
    • TP Overdrive
    • King's Decree/Inner Search

Good Grief, Hope is horrible. She's such a poor party member she makes the Tyrant named "Lockhart, The Killer of Hope" question its existence. It doesn't even need to kill Hope, the game devs did it themselves!

She sacrifices the offensive force Celica commands and the supportive force Irina commands for... Astral Protection? Don't get me wrong, Astral Protection is a great art, but it really isn't good enough to carry Hope by itself, since Hope's exclusive arts aren't very good on her. Secondary Speed sucks and isn't worth using over Astral Protection without Smooth Recovery and Tacit Censure is just... bad. Hilariously enough, Hope does get Supreme Sword... with practically nothing to use it with. Black Butterfly + Dispel? Really?

There is ZERO reason to use Hope, as Irina and Celica are both superior to her. If you're using her, it should only really be for her affinity missions. Brainjacking or not is up to you, it doesn't work on bosses, but it's pretty funny to use on regular mobs or bosses that have regular mobs around them... generally brainjacking is still bad and is only worth consideration on Hope because of her lack of good Arts to choose from.

H.B.
    Art Selection:
    • Last Stand
    • Gun Force
    • Decoy Round
    • Trash Talk
    • Shield Wall
    • Atomic Hit
    • Power Dive
    • Furious Blast

Skill Selection:
    • Steel Flesh
    • Shield Screen
    • Mighty Muscle
    • Combat Presence/Trauma Tension

The worst of the three tanks in terms of survivability, H.B. suffers from a Lack of Defensive Aura of his own to benefit from and not learning the extremely useful Stand Strong skill, which is pretty strange considering he's the only one of the three tanks to learn 2 provoke skills. However, even if H.B. did get a decent defense aura, I'm not too sure he'd even want to use it, since he has another Aura that makes him a better TP battery than Irina, Gunforce. This aura's most important effect is that reduces secondary cooldowns, H.B. doesn't learn enough offensive arts to take much advantage of the ranged attack increase. But, the secondary cooldown reduction is important because Last Stand's secondary effect is that it can be immediately reused after using it, which makes H.B. the better T.P. battery over Irina. He's also less fragile than her, so you don't have to worry too much about him dying. The Taunts he have are mainly there to make starting his TP support easier, since they also give TP.

H.B. however, does not hit as hard as Irina does or have any healing capabilities like Irina, so the choice between the two depends on what you want. H.B. is less prone to dying and is better at being a T.P battery, while Irina hits harder than H.B. and is better overall as a supporter. Both warrant consideration for a party, and you can't really go wrong with taking either.

Combat Presence and you using it depends on if you want H.B. to hold aggro long or not. As aggroing DOES put him at risk. If you REALLY need a tank and H.B. is the only one you can fit on your team, it's worth using. Otherwise, go with Trauma Tension.

Yelv
    Art Selection:
    • Galactic Cataclysm
    • Astrolibrium
    • Starfall Rondo
    • Starfall Blade
    • Starfall Blossom
    • Myopic Screen
    • Subterfuge/Gravity Cloak
    • Astral Purge

Skill Selection:
    • Supreme Sword
    • Beam Boost
    • Inner Search/Synchrocy

A lot like Doug, he sacrifices access to Starlight Duster, Pathogen Virus, and being a bit better in damage before Yelv uses Astrolibrium for access to Starfall Blossom, an aura that actually boosts his damage (Astrolibrium), Gravity Cloak, and the Synchrocy Skill. Since he has Blossom, Yelv is less reliant on potential to deal damage, and more on good ol Melee attack. Both are relatively close to each other in terms of damage, both just attain them in different ways. However, Yelv gets access to the more useful in postgame art: Gravity Cloak, and he's also one of the two characters that learns Synchrocy, the best skill for a Skell user. So I'd have to say Doug is slightly outclassed here, but if you like Doug, you can use him over Yelv, especially since Yelv needs Astrolibrium to stay relatively even with Doug in terms of damage while Doug gets constant healing from Geolibrium. Yelv learns Geolibrium too, but makes him inferior to Doug damage-wise, although he still has Synchrocy over him.

Both characters are relatively average on the ground, anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much, just that Yelv's access to Synchrocy nets him automatic consideration for a party, unlike Doug who should only really be used over other DPSers if you like him.

Subterfuge = Before postgame.
    Gravity Cloak = During postgame.

Alexa
    Art Selection:
    • Rajin
    • Trident Buster
    • Maximum Voltage
    • Arcing Horn
    • Furious Blast
    • Overwhelm
    • Assault Hammer
    • Hair Trigger/Power Dive

Skill Selection:
    • Steel Flesh/Synchrocy
    • Fortified Flesh
    • Electric Boost

Ah, Alexa, with both Flesh skills making her extremely bulky, Electic Boost + Arcing Horn + Maximum Voltage with an electric weapon giving her great DPS, access to a myriad of debuffs Debuffs and being one of the only two party members to learn Synchrocy along with her charming personality, she truly is who I am unashamed to award the title: Best Grill.

But enough with my Alexa fanboying, from a critical perspective, she's definitely an awesome party member. Regardless of whether or not her skell is destroyed, Maximum Voltage hits hilariously hard, and an electric Javelin will only serve to make her hit harder. Constant healing with Rajin and having both flesh skills makes her one of the more bulky party members. Synchrocy access also makes it hard to not recommend her. Definitely worth consideration as a party member.

Boze
    Art Selection:
    • Arcing Horn
    • Eagle Eye
    • Sidewinder
    • Shrapnel
    • Trident Buster
    • Slayonet
    • Hair Trigger

Skill Selection:
    • Conductive Strike
    • Knock n' Shock
    • Electric Boost

Boze and Alexa and very similar, although Boze sacrifices Bulk and Synchrocy for being able to potentially deal more damage. With access to Conductive Strike, Boze's damage can reach truly insane levels, however, due to not having access to Maximum Voltage, he can't focus his damage on Melee Arts since the only Javelin art that deals good damage is Maximum Voltage and thus, must use them only for increasing his damage for his Ranged Arts that deal more damage. Eagle Eye + Conductive Strike + Slayonet is truly devastating damage, Arcing Horn makes it even more ridiculous with it's Electric Res Down effect.

However, since Boze is reliant on getting his shock on to out damage Alexa, he falls off massively in terms of usefulness postgame, where endgame tyrants are extremely resistant to the Shock Debuff. And his best chance of inflicting shock is through a TP art, so postgame, Boze is going to want some support from someone else who can inflict shock and some resistance reducers to not completely fall behind Alexa. He is definitely usable before postgame, and is sort of usable postgame, depending on how much support/specialization you decide to throw his way. Some enemies are immune to Shock, so if the potential to deal more damage isn't more enticing than more bulk, access to Synchrocy, and more consistent damage, then do not use Boze over Alexa.

Lao
    Art Selection:
    • Trident Buster
    • Eagle Eye
    • Hawkeye
    • Overwhelm
    • Balance Breaker
    • Arcing Horn
    • Shrapnel
    • Afterburner

Skill Selection:
    • Electric Boost
    • Knock 'n' Shock
    • Conductive Strike
    • TP Overdrive

Lao deals even MORE damage than Boze due to access to Conductive Strike and Afterburner. Not much to say about Lao except "Better Boze".

Lao doesn't take Rajin because 3 TP arts before Arts: Gain TP Augments tend to be too much for the AI to handle and survivability isn't really an issue during the main story. Conductive Strike + Electric Boost + Eagle Eye + Hawkeye + Afterburner = DAMN LAO, YOU SCARY!

Frye
    Art Selection:
    • Burning Slash
    • Bullet Twister
    • Tornado Blade
    • Missile Volley
    • Bullet Storm
    • Defensive Stance
    • Cool Off
    • Filler (Don't Take Offensive Stance)

Skill Selection:
    • Machine Gunner
    • Rising Renewal
    • Iron Knuckle

Frye shares the same glaring flaw as Gwin, skills are Melee leaning, but Arts are Ranged leaning. However, Frye is more useful than Gwin, since his Arts scale better and his Gattling Gun gives him great mobbing capabilities. If you're in the market for a character that can attack multiple enemies at once, Frye's your guy.

No offensive TP arts are taken since they don't scale too well and the non TP ranged arts scale very well, so focusing your damage on them is the best course of action. Frye has a very niche use in his mobbing, but it's a use nonetheless if you like him. Use a Physical Gatling Gun for Iron Knuckle and have someone in your party focus on thermal damage to better benefit than Frye from Burning Slash and Missile Volley's thermal res down effect. Frye can just get his damage boosted without relying on thermal res down.

Frye has no other Arts of note to take, just don't take Offensive Stance, since his Melee Arts suck and the Aura only makes him easier to kill.

L
    Art Selection:
    • Astral Protection
    • Mindstorm
    • Shield Wall
    • Trash Talk
    • Reality Rift
    • Wild Down
    • Wild Smash
    • Filler

Skill Selection:
    • Stand Strong
    • Steel Flesh
    • Shield Screen

Best defensive party member tank due to having access to Astral Protection and Mindstorm. Unfortunately, can't do much in the way of damage, but if you aren't interested in your Tanks dealing much damage and just want them to be as Tanky and Supportive as possible, L is definitely a solid choice, otherwise, use Lin. H.B. Outdoes L and Lin in his semi unique niche of TP generating, so he's the wild card choice.

Other than L's defensive arts... not much else to take. Reality Rift is taken because Slow Arts is a useful debuff, same with Wild Smash. Wild Down just capitalizes on the topple from Wild Smash. Last Art doesn't really matter, because he has so few options. I'd recommend one of L's cloak arts depending on what you are fighting. Definitely worth consideration as a party member.

Phog
    • Art Selection:
    • Shadow Runner
    • Hundred Shells
    • Electric Surge
    • Back Slash
    • Sliding Stinger
    • Sky High
    • Side Slash
    • Primer

Skill Selection:
    • Background Noise
    • Master Edge
    • Crisis Catalyst

Honestly no reason to actually use him outside of his affinity missions. He trades the Ghostwalker and Shadow Strike Elma gets and the Astral Protection and Seventh Edge Murderess gets for... Sky High? Yeah... he's basically just a worse version of those two. He has nothing over them, as he has no skills or arts that help his ranged damage, only his melee damage, which forces him into a Melee Build, so he can't even really take advantage of Sky High. He’s usable, though.

Murderess
    • Art Selection:
    • Astral Protection
    • Back Slash
    • Hundred Shells/Gravity Lunge
    • Side Slash
    • Electric Surge
    • Stellar Ray
    • Seventh Edge
    • Jet Stream

Skill Selection:
    • Aura Assault
    • Trigger Happy
    • Lifeline

Very much like Elma, shares her erratic damage performance due to the AI being finicky with using positional skills properly, but worth consideration as a Party Member. However, unlike Elma, she does not learn Ghost Walker, instead she learns Astral Protection. This art makes her more self sufficient than Elma since she isn't reliant on Decoys that can be broken through/ignored to survive. Elma is more a team player, while Murderess is more self sufficient. Elma does deal more damage since she learns Background Noise. But despite that, Murderess is still worth using for Astral Protection alone.

Give Murderess Beam Dual Swords to take advantage of Stellar Ray. Gravity Lunge vs Hundred Shells is up to you, Hundred Shells deals more damage and takes the element of the weapon, so it can take advantage of Stellar Ray if you use a beam sword, but Gravity Lunge topples the opponent. However, some enemies cannot be toppled + postgame it becomes a bit difficult to topple consistently.

Celica
    Art Selection:
    • Absorber Skin
    • Primer
    • Violent Streak/Ghost Walker
    • Energy Source
    • Repair
    • Executioner
    • Full Specs
    • Zero Zero

Skills:
    • Red Zone
    • Inner Search
    • Steady Hand

Celica provides less support than Irina, instead opting to focus on abusing her multitude of Green Arts to stay in Overdrive as long as possible to deal nasty damage. Executioner + Full Specs + Energy Source + Execution + Primer + Red Zone +Inner Search = Extremely high damage. If you want someone who is okay at supporting, but able to lay down the hurt on enemies, Celica is your gal.

Ghost Walker vs Violent Streak depends on if you want more consistent DPS or more survivability, both are valid options.

Mia
    Art Selection:
    • Clarity Ray
    • Full Specs
    • Beam Bomber
    • Beam Barrage
    • Gravity Blast
    • Myopic Screen
    • Subterfuge
    • Gravity Cloak

Skill Selection:
    • Tactical Analyst
    • Resistant Flesh
    • Gravity Boost

With unique access to Clarity Ray, both a Ether Res Cloak plus Debuff clearer for the party, Gravity Cloak, Subterfuge, Tactical Analyst, and a good selection of debuffs, Mia is definitely worth consideration as party member if you find her debuffing, cloaks, and debuff clearer to be useful. Give her one or two Resistance Reducers to have her be able to debuff Tyrants postgame, and she's good to go! Her damage is also nothing to sneeze at, learning Full Specs, Beam Barrage, and Beam Bomber.

Ether Blast isn't taken because it scales horribly and is far weaker than Beam Barrage. Gravity Boost is taken to Boost Gravity Blast's damage along with her other arts if you use a Gravity Raygun, but Ether Boost and Beam Boost can be taken if the enemy resists Gravity.

Axen on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Phog
    • Art Selection:
    • Shadow Runner
    • Hundred Shells
    • Electric Surge
    • Back Slash
    • Sliding Stinger
    • Sky High
    • Side Slash
    • Primer

Skill Selection:
    • Background Noise
    • Master Edge
    • Crisis Catalyst

Honestly no reason to actually use him outside of his affinity missions. He trades the Ghostwalker and Shadow Strike Elma gets and the Astral Protection and Seventh Edge Murderess gets for... Sky High? Yeah... he's basically just a worse version of those two. He has nothing over them, as he has no skills or arts that help his ranged damage, only his melee damage, which forces him into a Melee Build, so he can't even really take advantage of Sky High. He’s usable, though.

The real reason to roll with Phog is for gimmicky Brainjack/Servant Sacrifice cheese builds. See, if you run that build, which I did literally all time, then you're going to want as many purple soul voices as possible, and Phog has five purple soul voices. Team him up with L and Murderess, and you'll be able to consistently cast Brainjack on anything that isn't outright immune to it.

Barrakketh wrote: »

That was 16 months ago.
    Second phase? You mean when they get in their skells? The first part of the fight against the Wrothians was the hardest for me, mainly because Ga Jiarg has a nasty AoE attack that wrecked me a few times. I'm not sure if it was beam or thermal, but it hurts. My guess is thermal because Elma's beam resist was 100 and from what I can remember she still took a lot of damage.

During the second phase the hardest hitting of Vasara's attacks are beam damage. I had a single Mastema, I believe it has the highest beam resist so that might be part of why I had a relatively easy time with it.

Yeah the Skells.

Last time I tried the fight, they blew up Elma's Skell inside of 1 minute. I need more levels or better Skells, and either method means sitting down and grinding out EXP or cash.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don't think most people are upset about his potential personality, since we have no idea of knowing that.

Some people just really care about the aesthetics of the characters they play.

He could be the coolest kid ever and that wouldn't stop me from hating how stupid he looks.

Granted the update helped a tiny bit. Has him looking less round and slightly improved proportions. The scene with him fighting the Nomura designed guy though really threw the issues I have in my face though. He's super tiny, as I think he's supposed to be super young which is a big downside, which makes it completely impossible to ignore. That scene which would be cool normally just turns into me going "uggghhhh".

• WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I remember XCX also had a horribly unbalanced yet easy to exploit augment system.

I breezed through the entire main game farming and slotting nothing but +Melee/Ranged damage on my team. These are easy to farm augments and increase your dps by a stupid huge amount.

Combine that with good character builds (like the ones posted above) and you can crush any non-skell fight.

As in, bosses would typically die after a single cycle of art usage. This was with the longsword, btw.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I will be highly amused if there's some crazy lore reason the MC looks the way he does. I mean, it's Xenoblade, so that's well within the realm of possibility.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    His parents were a steam engine and a bathysphere

• WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    He reminds me of what you would get if an artist was told to draw mega-man, but as a real boy.

Waveform wrote: »
    He reminds me of what you would get if an artist was told to draw mega-man, but as a real boy.

Mega-Man by way of Jules Verne.

Given that there was in fact a valid plot reason for the character models in XCX to look so off, I could see something similar applying here.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Given that there was in fact a valid plot reason for the character models in XCX to look so off, I could see something similar applying here.

I should hope so, because it looks like they're clashing two entirely different character art styles and I don't understand why.

edited September 2017

Hah, I loved that plot point. Suddenly all those "gamey" things that I just completely take for granted, because it's a game and most games do them, suddenly had a valid reason behind it.

Axen on
    Waveform wrote: »
    I remember XCX also had a horribly unbalanced yet easy to exploit augment system.

I breezed through the entire main game farming and slotting nothing but +Melee/Ranged damage on my team. These are easy to farm augments and increase your dps by a stupid huge amount.
    And I never realized just how easy until I watched a speedrun. The Attack Up V augments are really trivial to craft and add +30 Ranged/Melee attack, which is a very substantial amount relative to weapon stats (especially on a Gatling Gun). The XX version of them has some steep requirements (especially that 16 Bonejelium, but also 48 of each of the other materials), but are even more broken at +150 damage.

I guess while we're dumping useful information, here's my probe setup. Once you've gotten all your probes and FrontierNav sites unlocked and no longer need money (enemy drops cover your cash flow), you're gonna want storage and Miranium. Personally I didn't like having to make frequent trips to create augments or have L add slots to gear, so this gives me three ticks to hit my storage cap. 66,245 Miranium, 183,000 storage, and a mere 12,132 revenue:
    FN 101 : Mining G2
    FN 102 : Storage
    FN 103 : Mining G2
    FN 104 : Storage
    FN 105 : Mining G2
    FN 106 : Storage
    FN 107 : Storage
    FN 108 : Mining G2
    FN 109 : Mining G2
    FN 110 : Storage
    FN 111 : Storage
    FN 112 : Mining G10
    FN 113 : Booster G1
    FN 114 : Mining G3
    FN 115 : Mining G2
    FN 116 : Mining G8
    FN 117 : Mining G8
    FN 118 : Mining G8
    FN 119 : Mining G3
    FN 120 : Mining G8
    FN 121 : Mining G8

FN 201 : Mining G2
    FN 202 : Mining G9
    FN 203 : Mining G9
    FN 204 : Mining G9
    FN 205 : Mining G9
    FN 206 : Mining G2
    FN 207 : Mining G2
    FN 208 : Mining G9
    FN 209 : Mining G3
    FN 210 : Mining G9
    FN 211 : Mining G9
    FN 212 : Mining G9
    FN 213 : Mining G2
    FN 214 : Mining G6
    FN 215 : Mining G6
    FN 216 : Mining G6
    FN 217 : Mining G2
    FN 218 : Mining G6
    FN 219 : Mining G2
    FN 220 : Mining G2
    FN 221 : Mining G2
    FN 222 : Mining G2
    FN 223 : Mining G3
    FN 224 : Mining G6
    FN 225 : Mining G6

FN 301 : Mining G4
    FN 302 : Mining G4
    FN 303 : Mining G4
    FN 304 : Mining G4
    FN 305 : Mining G4
    FN 306 : Mining G4
    FN 307 : Mining G4
    FN 308 : Mining G4
    FN 309 : Mining G4
    FN 310 : Mining G4
    FN 311 : Mining G4
    FN 312 : Mining G5
    FN 313 : Mining G4
    FN 314 : Mining G4
    FN 315 : Mining G5
    FN 316 : Mining G5
    FN 317 : Mining G5
    FN 318 : Mining G5
    FN 319 : Mining G3
    FN 320 : Mining G5
    FN 321 : Mining G5
    FN 322 : Mining G5

FN 401 : Storage
    FN 402 : Booster G2
    FN 403 : Booster G1
    FN 404 : Mining G7
    FN 405 : Storage
    FN 406 : Booster G2
    FN 407 : Mining G10
    FN 408 : Duplicator
    FN 409 : Duplicator
    FN 410 : Storage
    FN 411 : Booster G1
    FN 412 : Duplicator
    FN 413 : Booster G2
    FN 414 : Mining G7
    FN 415 : Mining G10
    FN 416 : Duplicator
    FN 417 : Mining G7
    FN 418 : Storage
    FN 419 : Storage
    FN 420 : Mining G3

# Ores (14/15):
    # Arc Sand Ore
    # Aurorite
    # Boiled-Egg Ore
    # Cimmerian Cinnabar
    # Dawnstone
    # Enduron Lead
    # Everfreeze Ore
    # Foucaultium
    # Infernium
    # Lionbone Bort
    # Marine Rutile
    # Ouroboros Crystal
    # Parhelion Platinum
    # White Cometite

Cauldros is filled with Mining G1 probes for Bonejelium. 180,000 Miranium is enough for six slots on level 60 ground gear, or four slots on level 50 Skell gear.

Meanwhile, I saw the list of craftable augments, saw that I couldn't craft any of them, and ignored it for the rest of the game.

Meanwhile, I saw the list of craftable augments, saw that I couldn't craft any of them, and ignored it for the rest of the game.
    Were you destroying appendages? The augments that Waveform mentioned only take two materials (for Attack Up V) from the same enemy (Suids...those boar-like things) + the precious resource (mined via FrontierNav). Target either the tail or the bulge on their head, lock-on to it and tell your teammates to go ham on the appendage. Melee requires the Muscled Suid Bulge and the ranged augment requires the Appetizing Suid Tail.

In most cases throughout the game destroying an appendage gives you a very high (if not guaranteed) chance of getting drops from that body part.

Axen wrote: »

Hah, I loved that plot point. Suddenly all those "gamey" things that I just completely take for granted, because it's a game and most games do them, suddenly had a valid reason behind it.

I also remember a person near the top of that big elevator complaining about how people keep jumping off the edge rather than waiting for it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I need an XCX2 to clean up loose ends so badly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy