As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/h6nAx_daJX0

Here is the mwg review of it. Sadly my knowledge of Adeptus Mechanicus is like 0 because they after I stopped playing and no one in my gaming group has brought them yet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Wait, do I need another Codex already, or do Renegade Knights still run off of the Index: Chaos? My wallet hurts :(

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This is just to field a Knight in a mechanicus army.

Although it looks like it is just a 1 to 1 copy of the normal Knight rules. Still split up into 5 different entries for some reason.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oh god I just had a thought.

I have a unit of 20 Plauge Marines.

I have the guy that buffs grenades and makes em deal mortal wounds on a six+

I use veterans of the long war, and then the blight bombardment strategems.

This whole unit throws 20d6 Grenade shots, hitting on 3's, str 4 with a +1 mod rerolling ones, dealing an additional mortal wound on 5s and 6s. Also the grenades deal 2 damage.

This seems like a lot of points, but I am 100% going to try this and grenade a knight off the table.

Norgoth on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

This whole unit throws 20d6 Grenade shots, hitting on 3's, str 4 with a +1 mod rerolling ones, dealing an additional mortal wound on 5s and 6s. Also the grenades deal 2 damage.

This seems like a lot of points, but I am 100% going to try this and grenade a knight off the table.

you can squeeze another d6 out of this with the foul blightspawn and his deathshead

Only problem is that they're quite slow and only have 6" range, but if you can pull it off you can wreck some face.

Now that Stygies and Raven Guard have the same trait and stratagem I'm thinking about what Space Marine rules I could use for count as mechanicus conversions. Maybe some Aggressors as Myrmidons?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

you can squeeze another d6 out of this with the foul blightspawn and his deathshead

Maybe more because I'll be honest I'm considering playing multiples of these guys because holy shit is their flamer insane.

And yeah the marine blob is slow. But, you can use cloud of flies on it.....

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I thought a unit with grenades could only throw one grenade total, not one per model. Do the plague marines get a special rule? (I don't have the codex.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I thought a unit with grenades could only throw one grenade total, not one per model. Do the plague marines get a special rule? (I don't have the codex.)

They have a 1 command point stratagem that lets a unit all throw grenades. Then they have another that makes them more deadly. And then you have a character that buffs them even more.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Can you use more than once stratagem in a phase?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Svenska wrote: »
    Can you use more than once stratagem in a phase?

Yes.

You cannot use the same stratagem more than once a phase.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Well, that's good then.

Brb, going to assemble more 30k death guard.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    So I've put my big Black Templars army on eBay. I'm contemplating whether or not to delist it. I don't really need the money, but I don't like buying new kits and putting my PayPal account in the negatives. There's not much opportunity to play in my area, the local community is super clique-y, and I'll be moving soon anyway so that's more junk I gotta fit in my trunk.

Listing everything with all the options and taking a bunch of pictures made me realize I kinda don't want to sell it though. 300+ bucks in my pocket does seem pretty great, though against time and effort putting it together it's probably not that great. I just don't know when I'd be able to actually use it and don't have any great storage options.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I'd say that's down to money made.

Ain't nothin wrong with more junk in your trunk.

I don't play AoS but following the Community articles like the previews for the city army traits I get the impression that army traits in AoS are somewhat more varied (and interesting, maybe) than the 40k traits we've seen so far.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I don't play AoS but following the Community articles like the previews for the city army traits I get the impression that army traits in AoS are somewhat more varied (and interesting, maybe) than the 40k traits we've seen so far.

Maybe as the factions get more exotic, things will get a bit more diverse? The Imperium and Chaos Space Marines having similar traits is pretty reasonable, but the Daemon and Xenos factions could go much weirder.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Maybe as the factions get more exotic, things will get a bit more diverse? The Imperium and Chaos Space Marines having similar traits is pretty reasonable, but the Daemon and Xenos factions could go much weirder.

Maybe, but I'm betting that things like the Raven Guard trait get reused at least a few more times.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!

They absolutely are, but 40k is a different beast than AoS mainly due to things like vehicles and transports. AoS still also features formations that tack on extra effects, and the equivalent of "chapter" rules are usually contingent on having several formations of a similar theme.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw something similar from 40k via Chapter Approved, but I think for now they're just trying to get base lines.

Also, I learned last night that the best HQ choice for the Dark Eldar really is a Farseer.

It doesn't matter that two out of three psychic powers don't work at all when Doom makes splinter weaponry melt things.

daveNYC wrote: »

Maybe, but I'm betting that things like the Raven Guard trait get reused at least a few more times.

At the moment they're even reusing the same trait/stratagem combos, see again Raven Guard, Alpha Legion, Stygies VIII.

I guess that's a side effect of basically writing all the codices in a rush at the same time.

I also guess that we won't actually see much new models except Space Marines and maybe another CSM Legion before next spring/summer when all the current armies have some kind of codex and the rules base is established.

The next full release of new models will like accompany the Thousand Sons codex. After that I'm not sure. Maybe Sisters

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    TS wont get any new minis.
    They just got a whole range like a year ago

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »
    TS wont get any new minis.
    They just got a whole range like a year ago

They got Rubrics, Terminators, Tzaangors, Ahriman, the Exalted Sorcerers, and Magnus.

The Deathguard are getting/ will get- Mortarion, Typhus, the 5 new character units (psyker, apothecary, bell toller, the guy with the toxin vials, and the guy with the goo hose), 2 separate new Terminator kits, new Plague Marines, a multi variant Blight Drone kit, the Myphitic Blight Hauler (which MIGHT be part of the Blight Drone kit), and the Plague Crawler Tank.

So I do t know how many new units will get exactly, but it seems safe to say they'll get more- especially vehicles of some kind.

Death Guard are also literally the poster boys for 8th edition. I dunno if I'd expect more Thousand Son units just because they didn't get quite as many as Death Guard in their last wave.

It's official, the Horus Heresy is coming to an end (slowly)

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/09/20/the-siege-of-terra-dawns/

More importantly, have you been shot? Here's some help:
    haveyoubeenshot-flowchartv2.jpg

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Also, I learned last night that the best HQ choice for the Dark Eldar really is a Farseer.

It doesn't matter that two out of three psychic powers don't work at all when Doom makes splinter weaponry melt things.

the more I play with the aeldari the more I feel it's what I have always wanted out of the various flavors of eldar

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can a unit embark in a transport the same turn a different unit has disembarked? I essentially want to have a unit advance out of a land raider on turn 1 and have a unit standing behind the raider take their place before the land raider moves

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It's official, the Horus Heresy is coming to an end (slowly)

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/09/20/the-siege-of-terra-dawns/

More importantly, have you been shot? Here's some help:
    haveyoubeenshot-flowchartv2.jpg

I wonder how much the super omnibus of the entire Horus Heresy will cost once it's all done.

Because I'll be getting it. Ideally a digital copy but maybe I can convince my fiance to let me have a shelf.

A really big shelf

Hmmm...folks what are your thoughts on Forgefiends post codex?

I am sitting there thinking about it. In the Index they were expensive for 8 str 8 ac shots with only a 4+ bs that was on a big target.

The base stats are there but they are rather cheap, 159 pts for a base one with the double hades acs. But not you can daemonforge them rerolling your misses and failed wounds. That is is increasing your wounds and hits by about 25%. The biggest problem is -1 ap. But a weight of fire could help with that. I can see them being decent with a cheap lord in the back or with prescience or just for 1 cp. They are still 2 damage a shot that gets through.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The rerolling buff is much better than 25%, isn't it?

Against t4,3+ it goes from 1.66 wounds to 2.91 wounds (x2 for multiwound models). That's an increase of 75%.

Against T8,3+ it even goes from 1 wound to 2.25 (x2 for multiwound models). 125% percent better.

It's a pretty nice stratagem.

The rerolling buff is much better than 25%, isn't it?

Against t4,3+ it goes from 1.66 wounds to 2.91 wounds (x2 for multiwound models). That's an increase of 75%.

Against T8,3+ it even goes from 1 wound to 2.25 (x2 for multiwound models). 125% percent better.

It's a pretty nice stratagem.

I was napkin mathing in my head.

I think the stratagem takes a kind of mediocre unit and makes it well worth its points.

A decent spearhead detachment of:

2xForgefiends (~304 pts)
    1xDefiler(~180 pts with how I build it)
    1xCheap lord(~74 pts)

558 pts for some really decent back line fire support.

Actually I think this would work pretty well with Tzeentch daemon support. Throw in a changling in the back and all the daemon engines are -1 to be hit with their 3+/5++ saves.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hmmm...folks what are your thoughts on Forgefiends post codex?

I am sitting there thinking about it. In the Index they were expensive for 8 str 8 ac shots with only a 4+ bs that was on a big target.

The base stats are there but they are rather cheap, 159 pts for a base one with the double hades acs. But not you can daemonforge them rerolling your misses and failed wounds. That is is increasing your wounds and hits by about 25%. The biggest problem is -1 ap. But a weight of fire could help with that. I can see them being decent with a cheap lord in the back or with prescience or just for 1 cp. They are still 2 damage a shot that gets through.

I think the autocannon variant is the way to go, especially with the stratagem. The 2dmg per wound is solid and S8 is nothing to sneeze at. I see them being useful at putting damage on light vehicles. I rhink they do need a little push from the stratagem or the Prescience psi power to be worth it, however.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Forgefiends are kinda nice in that they're chaos marines and also daemons, so they double dip from a lot of buffs. Put the changeling next to a forgefiend gunline for -1 to hit, or heal them with the Nurgle Daemon power.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I proxied a little box as a forgefiend in a friendly game and that stratagem actually turned it into crazy consistent damage. It was always throwing 6-8 damage down against T7 units

• frayfray Registered User regular
    So rules question related to the new ad mech stratagems. You can only use each stratagem once per phase, right, so does deployment count as a phase? IE with the strats that are used during deployment to let you deep strike stuff, can you effectively only use them once?

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    So rules question related to the new ad mech stratagems. You can only use each stratagem once per phase, right, so does deployment count as a phase? IE with the strats that are used during deployment to let you deep strike stuff, can you effectively only use them once?

Ooh, good question! I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited September 2017
    fray wrote: »

The rulebook has a text about the stratagems before the game not being limited. Some Space Marine stratagems have especially been FAQed to be limited because of that I think.

Edit: Next week preview has the Imperial guard with rules for 8 regiments including stormtroopers, and some pretty nurgle characters.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/24/daemon-engines-a-battlefield-in-a-box-and-a-new-codex/

honovere on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Could it be? could they make the spures of the imperial guard work with each other?

Similarly, the codex is set to diversify Astra Militarum lists with tweaks to rules and points aimed at putting each unit on an even footing. Conscripts, for example, have been changed to better reflect their inferior discipline compared to professional soldiers.

Thank fuck for that.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    If Commissars didn't make IG completely immune to morale then Conscripts would be fine, what I want to see a nerf to is indirect fire bullshit. It should be something like -2 to your BS if you don't have LoS, -1 to your BS if you have a friendly unit in LoS to act as a spotter, full BS if you fire normally. So tired of Basilisks and Manticores parked six feet across the board behind a LoS blocking piece of terrain shooting up the entire field with nothing that can be done against them.

I could rant about the current state of the Guard for days though, everything is too cheap, they have so many auras, they basically ignore most of the rules of the game through one shenanigan or another.

This discussion has been closed.