As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wussification of Modern Society

MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Listening to Doug Stanhope the other day, I realized he's right; we're going to be the first generation of elderly in the retirement home bitching about how kids today are fucking pussies. But, is this a problem, and if so, what is it causing?

My dad and I talk a lot, about various random things. Often the conversation turns to the old days, and sometimes I'm shocked at how much he could get away with. Maybe it's because there were fewer laws back then, maybe it's because it wasn't so socially unacceptable, but getting in to an after school fist fight back then rarely resulted in law suits or prosecution, and almost never resulted in expulsion from school. Today, very few of my friends have ever even been in a real fight. Really, few people I talk to around my age ever have. The closest to a fist fight many children will come to today is a flame war on an internet message board or AIM. Children don't stick up for themselves many times because they've learned it's much easier to go to an authority figure and ask them to fix their problems for them, and then they get a pat on the head for it.

In the 70s, school shootings were truly a rare occurrence. Suicides were not quite as rare, but neither were they as prevalent as they are today. I'm not saying they're connected to wussification, because it could never be proven, but it certainly makes me wonder. If children are never forced to toughen up for themselves, do they lose the ability to adequately cope with day-to-day life? Can they ever learn it back?

And if this is the case, what went wrong and how can it be fixed? Would encouraging children to stand up for themselves make a difference? Would abandoning the philosophies of positive reinforcement help? Is the cure as simple as a stern bitchslap every now and then?

This is not a thread to discuss school violence or suicide as anything other than their merit as symptoms of the problem. I used those two things as examples because they were the easiest ones to use. Please try to refrain from derailing it into one.

MrBallbaggins on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are you saying having fewer fist fights in schools, or that actually punishing kids for fighting is a bad thing? That seeking nonviolent resolutions is a bad thing?

deadonthestreet on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh noes, people have a better thing to do than hit each other now?

As for self-defense, unlike in my father's day, it's hard to go to many schools armed. He has endless stories of knife fights and pulled guns if you want to hear tell of the good ol' days. I've had weapons pulled on me as well. I find myself not unhappy my baby sister has never had a knife pointed at her face. That said, she'd karate the crap out of you if needbe.

But hey, you want the kids who can stand up for themselves?

They're called poor people and country folk. Because they don't have much of a choice.

Incenjucar on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Totally the feminists' fault.

Totally.

JamesKeenan on
    edited December 2007

Totally.

I'm a feminist.

Wanna fight about it?

Incenjucar on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Totally.

I'm a feminist.

Wanna fight about it?

Who isn't?

Wanna make out?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited December 2007

Totally.

I'm a feminist.

Wanna fight about it?

wanna_fight_about_it.jpg

Absolutely.

JamesKeenan on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My father and some of his friends once had a pretty angry argument with some guy. So one day at school they grabbed him, put him in the trunk of my father's car, and left him there for a few hours until school let out, then drove out into the country and dropped him off.

He got a suspended I think.

I'm not really disappointed that this can't be pulled off anymore.

Quid on
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are you saying having fewer fist fights in schools, or that actually punishing kids for fighting is a bad thing? That seeking nonviolent resolutions is a bad thing?

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with nonviolent resolutions, I'm saying that sometimes people need to stick up for themselves and they shouldn't be afraid of going to jail because of it.

That wasn't really my point at all. My point is that the less people have to do for themselves, the less they will, and the harder it's going to be for them when there's noone to turn to to fix their problems for them.

The fighting in school was only meant to illustrate my point. I believe that people need to deal with adversity themselves sometimes to become well adjusted individuals.

MrBallbaggins on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    These days suck, but it's not like any days prior were any better.

Cervetus on
    edited December 2007

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with nonviolent resolutions, I'm saying that sometimes people need to stick up for themselves and they shouldn't be afraid of going to jail because of it.

That wasn't really my point at all. My point is that the less people have to do for themselves, the less they will, and the harder it's going to be for them when there's noone to turn to to fix their problems for them.

The fighting in school was only meant to illustrate my point. I believe that people need to deal with adversity themselves sometimes to become well adjusted individuals.

I gained my sense of self-respect and bravery from Stand By Me.

JamesKeenan on
    edited December 2007
    Please come up with a different example, then.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2007
    I think you're confusing "We need more violence" for "lawyers suck."

Incenjucar on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

No, and no.

The point he is trying to make - and one that I agree with - is that these kids aren't learning to look after themselves. Instead they are encouraged to take all their interpersonal problems to authority figures, who strong-arm both parties into an uneasy resolution that most of the time turns out to be temporary.

The thing is, when the kid grows up, runs into a problem and the authority figure is not there, they are fucked.

Also, it should be noted that it is completely possible to reach non-violent resolutions without involving an authority figure. In fact, I'd argue that that is the mature thing to do.

ege02 on
    edited December 2007
    It should be noted that, due to the prevalence of lawsuits, you're not allowed to defend yourself in schools anymore.

This is how I once ended up with a skinhead for a cape instead of a doormat.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2007

I still believe it is a perfectly functional example, and Ege seemed to have no problem at all seeing my point.

Maybe later I'll make another one. But I see no problem with the one that's there now.

MrBallbaggins on
    edited December 2007
    I do not know what this sentence means.

Also, yes, you can defend yourself if you get attacked according to tort law. The entire point of tort law is to make it so the violence doesn't happen in the first place by punishing the aggressor.

deadonthestreet on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Americans are wusses, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited December 2007

I still believe it is a perfectly functional example, and Ege seemed to have no problem at all seeing my point.

Maybe later I'll make another one. But I see no problem with the one that's there now.
    Because you are painting a desirable situation as a bad thing. Not letting kids kick the shit out of eachother is a good thing Teaching kids that violence is bad and will be punished is a good thing. I don't see how not getting into fist fights as a kid somehow makes a person unable to deal with other forms of conflict later in life.

deadonthestreet on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    Also, it should be noted that it is completely possible to reach non-violent resolutions without involving an authority figure. In fact, I'd argue that that is the mature thing to do.
    Yes, children are often known for being mature and reasonable during conflict.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I, and more or less every male I know, has been in a physical altercation at some point in their life, some more than others. I don't know where you're drawing your figures, but at least in the big cities, it's still pretty goddamn simple to come by a scrap.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Here's what I learned for the too many fights I've been in: Don't let them see you coming, and keeping hitting until they cry. I mean, it's great that some of you want to overthink the great life lessons you'll get out of that, but there aren't any.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Also, yes, you can defend yourself if you get attacked according to tort law. The entire point of tort law is to make it so the violence doesn't happen in the first place by punishing the aggressor.

It means that, rather than beat the shit out of the stupid skinhead who was trying to strangle me, I put my hands in my pockets and just kept walking while he hung off my back, and his friend punched my chest. I had the great fortune of being an extremely durable kid with largely incompetent enemies.

This is because the official stance of my high school was that self-defense was against the rules.

Schools have their own rules.

They are stupid and lame, but the fact remains.

Because they get sued if you beat up a bully.

Incenjucar on
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Somebody else posted this on another board somewhere and I liked the phrasing. Today's kids grow up in a hypothetical world of zero risk. Anything that is remotely unpleasant or dangerous is not just frowned upon or punished, but actively averted.

I was having a nice chat with two co-workers today. They were talking about how when they were kids, they used to make contact explosives out of seemingly innocuous chemicals and rebuild medical testing equipment from scrap (blowing at least one transformer in the process). I have no such experiences, but we're from different generations - they're in their late 40s and I'm 30. I might have been able to get away with some of that had I wanted to, but today you'd get on a government watch list for doing that stuff. Of course, they grew up, didn't lose any fingers, and both hold doctorates in engineering today.

Now, if you have 100 kids doing what these guys did, at least one of those kids is going to lose a finger. And so the cry goes up - "is allowing children to play with dangerous chemicals and equipment worth even one child's finger?!?" And the answer is inevitably, "uh, of course not!" And what isn't immediately obvious is the little death of creativity and risk-taking that accompanies that restriction.

DrFrylock on
    edited December 2007

Because you are painting a desirable situation as a bad thing. Not letting kids kick the shit out of eachother is a good thing Teaching kids that violence is bad and will be punished is a good thing. I don't see how not getting into fist fights as a kid somehow makes a person unable to deal with other forms of conflict later in life.

We are not necessarily talking about just fist fights here.

We're talking about kids being encouraged to go to authority figures when they have the smallest problem.

Their personal growth goes in the opposite direction from self-reliance.

ege02 on
    edited December 2007

I got cornered in a hallway my junior year, and I was told that a certain person and 5 of his closest friends were going to be waiting for me after school to kick the hell out of me. So I bounced his head off of the brick wall about 5 times until he quit resisting.

I then got suspended for a week, and almost got sent to jail until someone finally came forward and admitted to hearing what was said. If they hadn't, I'd have probably had to pay for some ER bills and spent the next 6 months in juvenile hall. Then until the day I graduated, I was threatened with expulsion every time I was suspected of doing absolutely anything. Previously I had not had anything more than a couple detentions, and no criminal record.

That's not the point, though. The point is that if children are taught to go running to authority figures every time anything happens, they will never learn to deal with their own problems.

MrBallbaggins on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    Here's what I learned for the too many fights I've been in: Don't let them see you coming, and keeping hitting until they cry. I mean, it's great that some of you want to overthink the great life lessons you'll get out of that, but there aren't any.
    I think there's a certain magic I'd appreciate if some dumb-asses had gotten punched in the goddamn jaw or something like that when acting like assholes. I definitely learned from my peers at a young age that certain behaviors really weren't cool, because if you did it, you'd get your ass kicked.

The actual fights? Yeah, they're forgettable. But having a reason to come to blows is somewhat worthwhile.

I'm actually reminded of the on-going fighting debate in hockey -- should it still be allowed to be there -- and personally I think one of the ways the NHL has degraded is by curbing fighting, thus allowing the cheap shot artists and dirty little hacks get away with more than they should.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited December 2007
    Ege: How many kids do you honestly think can solve a problem involving a pack of bullies twice their size?

In my dad's day, the answer was carrying a gun to class.

Incenjucar on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »

To this end, I learned that I'm not ashamed to fight dirty. The high school I went to in Atlanta was pretty rough. Fights didn't mean black eyes and skinned knees for me, fights meant severe concussions and broken bones. I never saw the point of not kicking somebody in the groin when it was pretty likely they were going to get you down on the ground and just pound on you until you were unconcious. I raked eyes, I kicked in the nuts, and I ran like a bitch.

Fights aren't honorable, desirable, or necessary for anybody's development or maturity.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited December 2007
    Ege: How many kids do you honestly think can solve a problem involving a pack of bullies twice their size?

In my dad's day, the answer was carrying a gun to class.

The type of people that carry guns to class are the wusses that I referred to in the OP. They are not well adjusted individuals. What time period was your dad in school?

MrBallbaggins on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Eh, it depends on where you grow up, really. I grew up in a city and I got in lots of fights as a kid. I mean, I see it as lots of fights now but then it seemed pretty normal.

I was charged with assault once because I wouldn't let some douche throw bottles at my little cousin. I laughed at the charge, because any kid with any experience in the law will know that A) for a first offense they aren't going to get shit and B) they aren't going to throw the book at you for fighting off a bully.

I think the fear of lawsuits is more prevalent than their effective use.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited December 2007
    The type of people that carry guns to class are the wusses that I referred to in the OP. They are not well adjusted individuals. What time period was your dad in school?

Ahahaha.

Yes.

I'm sure wusses fight off five attackers, armed with knives, with their bare hands, making them run away in terror, several of whom later become murderers.

You don't bring a sword to a gunfight.

My dad was born in '51.

I'm sure I'm a wuss, too, for picking up a stick when a kid pulled a knife on me with his two buddies until they lost their nerve.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2007

I got cornered in a hallway my junior year, and I was told that a certain person and 5 of his closest friends were going to be waiting for me after school to kick the hell out of me. So I bounced his head off of the brick wall about 5 times until he quit resisting.

I then got suspended for a week, and almost got sent to jail until someone finally came forward and admitted to hearing what was said. If they hadn't, I'd have probably had to pay for some ER bills and spent the next 6 months in juvenile hall. Then until the day I graduated, I was threatened with expulsion every time I was suspected of doing absolutely anything. Previously I had not had anything more than a couple detentions, and no criminal record.

That's not the point, though. The point is that if children are taught to go running to authority figures every time anything happens, they will never learn to deal with their own problems.
    Slamming some kid's head against the wall is positive somehow? Jesus dude.

Yeah, go to a fucking teacher. Why is that somehow bad? It stops violence. I mean my god you could have killed the kid or given him brain damage. We want to avoid that kind of shit.

Give me an example that doesn't involve violence, because I'm not thinking of any. Like, there is nothing wrong with getting in an argument or debate. Kids do that all the time. They don't always run for an authority figure.

This thread is basically "Waah I'm a tough guy but I cannot act tough, they are taking my manliness!"

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Somebody else posted this on another board somewhere and I liked the phrasing. Today's kids grow up in a hypothetical world of zero risk. Anything that is remotely unpleasant or dangerous is not just frowned upon or punished, but actively averted.

I was having a nice chat with two co-workers today. They were talking about how when they were kids, they used to make contact explosives out of seemingly innocuous chemicals and rebuild medical testing equipment from scrap (blowing at least one transformer in the process). I have no such experiences, but we're from different generations - they're in their late 40s and I'm 30. I might have been able to get away with some of that had I wanted to, but today you'd get on a government watch list for doing that stuff. Of course, they grew up, didn't lose any fingers, and both hold doctorates in engineering today.

Now, if you have 100 kids doing what these guys did, at least one of those kids is going to lose a finger. And so the cry goes up - "is allowing children to play with dangerous chemicals and equipment worth even one child's finger?!?" And the answer is inevitably, "uh, of course not!" And what isn't immediately obvious is the little death of creativity and risk-taking that accompanies that restriction.

Everyone read this very carefully, especially the last sentence.

ege02 on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I should note that there is a functional difference between a scuffle between elementary school kids and teenagers beating the piss out of each other.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

In some cases, yes, they are both bad things. After going through elementary and highschool, I can say without a doubt in my mind that those two things really fucked with the students I've encountered, mainly because it dramatically increases a student's dependence on authority figures.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2007

Ahahaha.

Yes.

I'm sure wusses fight off five attackers, armed with knives, with their bare hands, making them run away in terror, several of whom later become murderers.

You don't bring a sword to a gunfight.

If he was capable of fighting off 5 attackers with knives and making them run away in terror, he would have had no reason to carry a gun.

I highly suspect either you or he is just making shit up.

MrBallbaggins on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This is true. Also, what else happens is that when a kid (or adult who was brought up this way) runs into a problem that authority figures can't solve, they are generally completely fucked.
    celery77 wrote: »
    I, and more or less every male I know, has been in a physical altercation at some point in their life, some more than others. I don't know where you're drawing your figures, but at least in the big cities, it's still pretty goddamn simple to come by a scrap.

It's not just a city thing. Hell, it's probably easier to come by a fight out in rural/semi-rural areas...maybe not so much in schools (see: this thread) but by the time you hit 18 or 19 and end up out in the world? Yeah.
    This is because the official stance of my high school was that self-defense was against the rules.

Schools have their own rules.

They are stupid and lame, but the fact remains.

Because they get sued if you beat up a bully.

I don't know about that last bit (getting sued) but I do know that I went to at least one high school that had very strict rules about physical altercations: both sides suspended, police called and both sides cited. They didn't give a shit who started it, whether it was self defense, nothing...take it to court, not their problem. They just threw the book at both (or all) parties.

It was pretty fucked up, really.

Compare this to an elementary school that I went to. I told a kid that if he didn't stop doing whatever he was doing to annoy me (I think it was knocking my pencil off my desk or something...but definitely something he had no right to be doing) I was going to punch him. He didn't stop. I punched him in the face in the middle of class.

Upon reaching the principal's office, I explained why I hit him. The principal asked the other kid if I had indeed said that. He confirmed. The principal told him then maybe he should have thought twice before doing it again, and I got in no real trouble.

mcdermott on
    edited December 2007
    If he was capable of fighting off 5 attackers with knives and making them run away in terror, he would have had no reason to carry a gun.

I highly suspect either you or he is just making shit up.

Life is not a movie.

You are not always going to be able to fight off five guys who are better armed than you.

Or even one.

Especially if they pack a piece, too. Which many did.

Incenjucar on
  • ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No offense, but Jesus Christ.

If I turned a corner and saw one person "bouncing" another's "head off of a brick wall," I'd sure as hell call the cops because that description sounds to me like a crime is being committed. You said this other person was resisting somehow, which means you had to overcome that resistance and therefore could have caused some serious injuries. To be honest, I think you got off light for not at least having to pay for the other person's medical evaluation.

Maybe appeals to authority are being over/mis-used, but authorities are there for a reason, which is ostensibly to protect people from the unlawful and harmful actions of others.

Zalbinion on
    edited December 2007
    Slamming some kid's head against the wall is positive somehow? Jesus dude.

Yeah, go to a fucking teacher. Why is that somehow bad? It stops violence. I mean my god you could have killed the kid or given him brain damage. We want to avoid that kind of shit.

Give me an example that doesn't involve violence, because I'm not thinking of any. Like, there is nothing wrong with getting in an argument or debate. Kids do that all the time. They don't always run for an authority figure.

This thread is basically "Waah I'm a tough guy but I cannot act tough, they are taking my manliness!"

Well, it's positive in that I never got threatened again. So yes, I would consider it an absolute success.

Here's another example for you.

Tommy: Billy you smell like doo-doo.
    Billy: Teacher! Teacher! Billy said I smell like doo-doo!
    Teacher: Tommy that's very very bad.
    Tommy: I'm sorry, Billy.

And then if Billy continues being thin skinned and running to an authority figure every time he feels bad, how will he cope with say, an asshole boss? A bitchy neighbor?

MrBallbaggins on
This discussion has been closed.