As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Intresting take, but what would say it said that we could double, nay triple the polygon count on those monsters. How about colored lighting and curved surfaces? What say you now?
    Drake wrote: »
    That crunchy low poly pixelated cubism is just part of the horror for me now. Kind of like how Doom's 2D sprites just enhance that feeling of being in a comic book (for me anyway).

This is part of the challenge of redoing Quake-the bestiary is rife with angular forms that do a great job of differentiating the silhouettes of enemy types and conveying character, but at the same time-

Should a Shambler have eyes? It would seem to be furry, but what kind of fur? Are those giant hooves for its feet? Even the claws-are they just matted with the blood of enemies, or are they actually red? Are they starfish-like hands?

Just...capturing that stuff correctly and parsing the gestalt elements. Devil in the details and all that.

As for lighting and curved surfaces, well...

I'm fairly certain colored lighting is a thing that's been modded into Quake at this point, so, go nuts if it behooves you.

Curved surfaces don't feel hugely important to my conception of Quake, but I bet interesting things could be achieved if that were possible.

I could really go for pages attempting to extrapolate on the technological limitations that informed the texture and aesthetic choices.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I always thought the Shamblers had gross, puckered white skin. I remember I was super bummed when I learned they were supposed to have shaggy fur instead.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is anyone playing Quake Champions? Because

1503353970768zssrj.png

Also did they give him a voice?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

1503353970768zssrj.png

I am disappointed that the Doom guy doesn't have the highest top speed.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Here is the new trailer for Dusk
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-new-dusk-trailer-is-all-about-high-speed-violence-and-loud-music/

https://youtu.be/tsu9uDMlIMM

Looks like it's leaning right into the Quake and surprisingly Rise of the Triad side of things. Getting pretty excited for this one! Still no release date yet outside of "2017"

Quick update - launches on October 31st and if you plonk down 20 bones for a pre-order you can play episode one right away

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

1503353970768zssrj.png

I'm playing it through the Bethesda Launcher. If anyone else is, I'll add you to my friends list there.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Quake 4 now on gog.com. I don't think it's been there before? Currently going for $3.74

Doom 3 BFG edition also on gog.com now.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Discovered a neat series browsing around doomworld, it's called Evolution of the WAD. The first episode is an exhaustive breakdown of Sandy Petersen maps and the mark he made on Doom. Bring snacks and kick back, these are long and in depth commentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t5LKWP-oZY

• Options
    Discovered a neat series browsing around doomworld, it's called Evolution of the WAD. The first episode is an exhaustive breakdown of Sandy Petersen maps and the mark he made on Doom. Bring snacks and kick back, these are long and in depth commentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t5LKWP-oZY

He streams these videos under www.twitch.tv/capnclever so its worth following his channel and catching it live

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Thought this was neat enough to be worth sharing

https://youtu.be/dWUfMr3Wobo

It's a SP mod that takes parts of Brutal DOOM and chucks in some new things the latest GZDoom 3+ engine can do. Looks neato and probably worthwhile checking out if you've got a spare hour to kill. Will hopefully have time to check it out and report back this weekend

It even has Deux Ex style vent trawling!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    To my shame I have yet to play the new Doom. My computer needs to be upgraded and I don't own any of the current gen consoles. I've just been making do playing Doom 4 Doom with random WADs and pining for the real thing.

id related, I just played through Rage. . . it was serviceable, but not really a top quality id game. I ignored the racing whenever possible and just did all the shooty stuff, which was okay. It's a good thing the studio rebounded with Doom.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I always thought the Shamblers had gross, puckered white skin. I remember I was super bummed when I learned they were supposed to have shaggy fur instead.

I remember rrading a thing by the guys that did the starcraft hd remake that this was a big problem. Like they would do a new zergling sprite that looked awesome but people would look at it and say "thats not what they looked like in my mind" and high level players would basically play worse because their brains wouldn't accept the new sprites as being a zergling without having to think about it, so they ended up having to redo some of the sprites a couple of times to get something that looked good but captures the sihouette and feel of the original unit for a reasonable percentage of players.

• Options
    Playing the new Doom after finally getting a PS4...

It's not shocking to say I like it. It is an excellent game. I haven't quite gotten enough of a handle on the controls-I had to turn the sensitivity settings way down to get a satisfactory feel for turning and aiming and I realize there's some obvious tradeoff in that when it comes time to make fast decisions in a firefight.

A few things I don't entirely like-

-The mantling feature for grabbing ledges and advancing over high points is, largely, great, but I frequently find myself wanting to mantle while strafing, which does not seem to be built into the game. There may be a very good reason for that, in terms of critical facing mechanics and so on, but I want to be a spider monkey like the Imps in terms of agility.

-I am not incredibly impressed with the Gore Nest mechanic. It was fine the first few times, but there don't seem to be really any kind of variations in them, which really limits their novelty. I was beginning to suspect they might open up areas, involve unique enemies, or maybe become bigger and more involved with multiple rip and tear points that have to be extracted. As is, they're becoming my least favorite part of the game, as they mainly signal that that the mini-combat hub you are in is going to unlock and generate more monsters to fight, which may in fact be mostly the same ones you are already killing in the general area.

-I didn't really follow the incentive system early on, which may be intentional. Not knowing that Drones provide single use upgrades for weapons and that Drones are, in fact, limited in number and hard to find may be difficult to communicate in the early game, especially when you don't have enough weapon options to consider upgrading. Maybe a more-or-less circumstantially necessary thing, not bad, just is.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

I remember rrading a thing by the guys that did the starcraft hd remake that this was a big problem. Like they would do a new zergling sprite that looked awesome but people would look at it and say "thats not what they looked like in my mind" and high level players would basically play worse because their brains wouldn't accept the new sprites as being a zergling without having to think about it, so they ended up having to redo some of the sprites a couple of times to get something that looked good but captures the sihouette and feel of the original unit for a reasonable percentage of players.

And they did a fucking bang up job on that, as far as I'm concerned. So much so that it's actually quite easy while playing to forget how hard their job must have been; StarCraft Remastered is so successful with its aesthetic, for the most part, that it sometimes feels less like they painstakingly added a huge amount of visual information to the game, and more like they simply lifted a grainy shit-filter that was previously obscuring the game from your vision.

• Options
    The Adventures Of Square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIkDpiCetJw

An original game built on ZDoom tech, that I saw demonstrated on Ep3 of Evolution of the WAD. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there's a archive of the old ftp.cdrom.com folders for Quake 1&2 mods? I remember going there weekly to look for new stuff and trying out tons of mods with my brother. while I've managed to find some of the big name mods like AirQuake, QPong, ActionQuake, etc there where so many more I haven't been able to track down.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Does QuakeWorld or Planet Quake not exist any more? Those I think were the places I went, back in the day.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Both of those are dead and no longer have a ftp or mod directory that functions. I've found a few places with the idstuff\quake and quake2 folders, but only thing inside are usually the patches, nothing mod related.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's an issue that has a lot of discussion around Doomworld. A lot of historic sites for early id games are disappearing. There are a few people currently trying to retrieve and archive as much of this as possible before there isn't any hope at all of recovering these sites and the stuff they host. Perhaps there is a similar effort in the Quake community. Maybe ask around Quaddicted? They seem to be a pretty active Quake community.

• Options
    Fraggle, of Chocolate Doom fame has created a github repository for original Doom (and related games) cover art and posters. If you have higher quality versions or something he doesn't have he'd like to hear from you.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fraggle, of Chocolate Doom fame has created a github repository for original Doom (and related games) cover art and posters. If you have higher quality versions or something he doesn't have he'd like to hear from you.

Anyone else hear Tay Zonday in their heads when they hear "Chocolate Doom"?

• Options
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a archive of the old ftp.cdrom.com folders for Quake 1&2 mods? I remember going there weekly to look for new stuff and trying out tons of mods with my brother. while I've managed to find some of the big name mods like AirQuake, QPong, ActionQuake, etc there where so many more I haven't been able to track down.

Archive.com has some of the Walnut Creek (cdrom.com) stuff https://archive.org/details/walnutcreekcdrom?&sort=-downloads.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I picked up a PS4 and Doom today so I can be fashionably late to the party! It's been great so far, especially with the enemy AI - I was surprised to see Imps using hit-and-run tactics, the sneaky buggers. I suck at finding secrets though; two stages in and I've only found one.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Some of the secrets are pretty dang great, but there's also no so many of them that it makes you not even want to bother finding them. Finding almost all of something like the runes isn't bad, but you can replay every level individually so there's no reason you can't go back later to find what you missed.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Also make sure it is fully patched. Launch game has some serious bugs.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Well, the Argent Tower was certainly something. I've never seen that much verticality in a Doom game before. I'm also shocked about how I missed a good amount of stuff in a stage that's extremely linear. The game just keeps getting better.

• Options
    On the subject of the new Doom, I just want to add how much I appreciate the level of study they applied to the original designs and art assets. Even just seeing the same skull switches in the Hell levels is a brilliant touch. It really makes everything more resonant and emblematic.

• Options
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Doom is good game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I love how absurd they went with the story of the new Doom. Going to Hell and hearing about the Doom Slayer was great.

Once you start getting more weapons and see more demons, and unlock a few more suit upgrades the game really starts to shine. I'm usually down to my last few bullets at the end of encounters now because the game just throws so much at you. For a while I was leaning on the heavy machine gun to do the heavy lifting but now that I'm facing multiple Hell Knights, Barons of Hell, Mancubi and Summoners I really need to bring out the rocket launcher and gauss rifle. Even the plasma rifle, which I think they gave you a little early because it's really good against bigger guys but it seems like a waste against the normal soldiers.

• Options
    I really feel like they should have given the machine gun more round capacity. I understand a big intention to force you to keep switching up your arsenal, but I can’t begin to understand a mere 250 rounds. Like, keep it 400.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I love how absurd they went with the story of the new Doom. Going to Hell and hearing about the Doom Slayer was great.

Once you start getting more weapons and see more demons, and unlock a few more suit upgrades the game really starts to shine. I'm usually down to my last few bullets at the end of encounters now because the game just throws so much at you. For a while I was leaning on the heavy machine gun to do the heavy lifting but now that I'm facing multiple Hell Knights, Barons of Hell, Mancubi and Summoners I really need to bring out the rocket launcher and gauss rifle. Even the plasma rifle, which I think they gave you a little early because it's really good against bigger guys but it seems like a waste against the normal soldiers.

I actually thought the Plasma Rifle was better against weaker enemies; it didn't seem to do much to bigger guys, but it melts smaller ones.

I finished the game yesterday; it was consistently great and got pretty crazy in the end. (I played on Hurt Me Plenty and got beat up quite a bit). Now, do I start a fresh file on Ultra Violence, or mess around with mission select and get everything I missed?

Also, I've been playing Alien Vendetta with the Doom For Doom mod as well. It's quite hectic. Map 18 is possibly one of the worst slaughtermaps I've been through; thankfully the mod manages to alleviate all the BS. It's just a testament to how well the gameplay translates to the classic games.

• Options
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

That's... beyond awesome. I need this in my life (and laptop) right. now.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, aint this just fitting (DOOM 2016 level 4 or 5):
    Olivia blows open the portal, I get the hell event or whatever countdown, games goes white then black and...nothing.

And thanks to the shittastic console bullshit checkpoint system who knows what I'll have to redo, though hopefully just the fight I was in when it died.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hey, question. If I enjoy fast-paced shooting but I'm really bothered by excessive blood and gore, on a scale of one to ten how bad an idea is it to pick up the new DOOM on the steam sale?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hey, question. If I enjoy fast-paced shooting but I'm really bothered by excessive blood and gore, on a scale of one to ten how bad an idea is it to pick up the new DOOM on the steam sale?

Ten.

The game literally has a mechanic where you horribly dismember zombies and demons with your bare hands, in graphic detail, to get health powerups.

You can blow up one of the monsters in such a way that their entire upper body is torn apart, aside from the spine and the head, which bobs around like a cat toy.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Ten.

The game literally has a mechanic where you horribly dismember zombies and demons with your bare hands, in graphic detail, to get health powerups.

You can blow up one of the monsters in such a way that their entire upper body is torn apart, aside from the spine and the head, which bobs around like a cat toy.

There may be a mod to remove some of the blood and gore (console pleb here) but unless they totally remade most of the combat models there is no avoiding it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion