As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - My Thing

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - My Thing

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The first panel is so good

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I love the throwaway Gabe line.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gabe/Mike's word games are my favorite thing ever, and I'm jealous that he can come up with them so fast.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Gabe/Mike's word games are my favorite thing ever, and I'm jealous that he can come up with them so fast.

That is also a reasonable question, so I didn't even get it was wordplay.
    This remains my favorite wordplay strip:
    215521632_BSftc-2100x20000.jpg

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Gabe's got reason to be wary of spiders.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/07/hes-got-legs

steam_sig.png
  • AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    Co-signing that panel 1 is amazing, and I'm hoping this strip is featured in a DLC pod.

• BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    It took me longer than it should have to realize this SCA thing is basically a REN faire.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Man, back at one of the panels Mike and Jerry did during the 2005 PAX (or possibly 2007, the only other one I've been to) after I asked a question I made a point of saying how much I enjoyed the wordplay strips (and got a cheer of support from the audience). Mike complained (pretty sure he was just playing along), and then Jerry had to make it weird*, but my point is I am on record as really loving them and I still didn't catch that Gabe's first line was one until reading your post. Very sneaky.
    *Just kidding, it was funny

Edit: Hah, I just realized if I'm visible in video of that panel, it's long enough ago that I probably still had hair.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • AnderHallisonAnderHallison Registered User new member
    Honorable mentions to House Gremlyn and House Baekyn for your competition experience! And it's not a ren faire, more medieval re-creation, no fantasy (i.e. we aren't dwarves and goblins, we're Norse, Japanese, English, etc, just pre 17th century) . We're re-living the medieval ages, the way it should have been.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Really sad I didn't go to Banner war this year, my avatar was taken there 4 years ago!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sadly I can't do the local chapter of the SCA around here. I got into it with an ex of mine who is really into the group and after we broke up they told me not to come around anymore.

• AkamarAkamar Registered User regular
    Really wanted into it when I was older.. :/ still can't afford to visit my local chapter, so I'm not too worried about it anymore

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Honorable mentions to House Gremlyn and House Baekyn for your competition experience! And it's not a ren faire, more medieval re-creation, no fantasy (i.e. we aren't dwarves and goblins, we're Norse, Japanese, English, etc, just pre 17th century) . We're re-living the medieval ages, the way it should have been.

how many people roleplaying as lepers on average?

and do you also stop brushing your teeth a few weeks in advance?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Persoanlly I had more fun doing Dagorhir LARP with big foam swords and acting dumb then I did with the SCA people with their $300 swords and heavy metal armor jumping around trying not to hit any exposed skin.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Persoanlly I had more fun doing Dagorhir LARP with big foam swords and acting dumb then I did with the SCA people with their $300 swords and heavy metal armor jumping around trying not to hit any exposed skin.

Here's a million dollar idea you can have for free: A LARP meeting based on the SCP Foundation. You sell tickets but don't tell anyone where it is because it's been [REDACTED].

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    how many people roleplaying as lepers on average?

and do you also stop brushing your teeth a few weeks in advance?
    We're re-living the medieval ages, the way it should have been.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Gabe's got reason to be wary of spiders.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/07/hes-got-legs
    Actually, his relationship with spiders is very...conflicted.
    eOzO8ZL.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    That's why he's so attracted (to spider-man). It's that thrill that comes from a sense of danger, like the stereotypical teenage girl dating that bad-boy with the motorcycle the adults in her life don't approve of.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    That's why he's so attracted (to spider-man). It's that thrill that comes from a sense of danger, like the stereotypical teenage girl dating that bad-boy with the motorcycle the adults in her life don't approve of.

That went to kind of a weird place

edited September 2017
    It felt like an apt analogy for the strips that portray (comic) Gabe as having homosexual tendencies. People were joking about Gabe having a history of spider problems in the old strips, and I was just joking that it is part of his attraction to Spider-Man.

Edit: I mean, they've made a similar comparison:
    215530187_g6Z3H-2100x20000.jpg

Edit 2: God-damnit, you were referencing the same thing. *smacks forehead*

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    It felt like an apt analogy for the strips that portray (comic) Gabe as having homosexual tendencies. People were joking about Gabe having a history of spider problems in the old strips, and I was just joking that it is part of his attraction to Spider-Man.

Edit: I mean, they've made a similar comparison:
    215530187_g6Z3H-2100x20000.jpg

Edit 2: God-damnit, you were referencing the same thing. *smacks forehead*

Yeah, duh, and boo on you for not immediatly getting the reference I was making to a 10-year old comic! You have brought shame upon your household!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Gabe is definitely all about the danger.
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/03/26

steam_sig.png
  • KanrathKanrath Registered User new member
    Been an SCA member for 10 years here in New England...the event they talk about in this comic reminds me of the bard's retreat I used to go to...drinking started early, and then was followed by music, stories and good times while sitting by a fire in an old cabin