As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    @azith28

Everyone else already answered the "how soul breaks work" stuff, but with regards to:
    I assume this is good since its a party re-raise.

Reraise is...unfortunately not super great with how it was implemented. What it does is your person is "killed" and then brought back with moderate HP (I think it's around 50%).....but they lose all buffs. No protect, no shell, no haste, no stat boosts. Basically, it makes them sitting ducks for the next hit to take them out permanently. There's a newer ability, Last Stand, which does a very minor heal (100 HP or so) but keeps them alive so the buffs are intact. That being said, Reraise is better than nothing, just don't expect it to be gamebreaking.

Lenna's burst does this: Reraise on everyone, moderate medica, moderate MND boost to Lenna (which increases how much her heals do), increases her RES a small amount (less damage from magic). Her CMD1 deals four holy attacks and boosts Lenna's MND further (it stacks with the first buff), CMD2 is a cura medica - small amount of healing to the whole party. That command will probably be what you spam, maybe after doing CMD1 to increase the amount it heals for.

Arc's burst does this: 5 holy and non-elem attacks to the enemy, moderate medica, moderate MND boost to Arc. His CMD1 is a curaga-level heal to one person AND cast esuna on them, his CMD2 is minor medica to all.

Of the two, I'd favor Arc's because of that CMD1 - large heal+esuna is a very potent combo for bosses which deal in damage+debuff attacks.

e: Not to say that Lenna's is BAD, mind you. The entry heal and ability to continue party healing is great. I'd just focus on getting Arc's mastered first, because having the esuna/larger targeted heal will be more useful for more content.

Well i don't have arc yet. Will hold off till after the rest of the draws before i invest any hero souls or such.

BTW, how exactly does the "Difficulty" number translate? I've done things up to around 45 with 3 characters in the 40-50 range, and seen the nightmare dungeons are waaaaay past 100-200 so its obviously not a direct 'average party level' number.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    azith28 wrote: »
    @azith28

Everyone else already answered the "how soul breaks work" stuff, but with regards to:

Reraise is...unfortunately not super great with how it was implemented. What it does is your person is "killed" and then brought back with moderate HP (I think it's around 50%).....but they lose all buffs. No protect, no shell, no haste, no stat boosts. Basically, it makes them sitting ducks for the next hit to take them out permanently. There's a newer ability, Last Stand, which does a very minor heal (100 HP or so) but keeps them alive so the buffs are intact. That being said, Reraise is better than nothing, just don't expect it to be gamebreaking.

Lenna's burst does this: Reraise on everyone, moderate medica, moderate MND boost to Lenna (which increases how much her heals do), increases her RES a small amount (less damage from magic). Her CMD1 deals four holy attacks and boosts Lenna's MND further (it stacks with the first buff), CMD2 is a cura medica - small amount of healing to the whole party. That command will probably be what you spam, maybe after doing CMD1 to increase the amount it heals for.

Arc's burst does this: 5 holy and non-elem attacks to the enemy, moderate medica, moderate MND boost to Arc. His CMD1 is a curaga-level heal to one person AND cast esuna on them, his CMD2 is minor medica to all.

Of the two, I'd favor Arc's because of that CMD1 - large heal+esuna is a very potent combo for bosses which deal in damage+debuff attacks.

e: Not to say that Lenna's is BAD, mind you. The entry heal and ability to continue party healing is great. I'd just focus on getting Arc's mastered first, because having the esuna/larger targeted heal will be more useful for more content.

Well i don't have arc yet. Will hold off till after the rest of the draws before i invest any hero souls or such.

BTW, how exactly does the "Difficulty" number translate? I've done things up to around 45 with 3 characters in the 40-50 range, and seen the nightmare dungeons are waaaaay past 100-200 so its obviously not a direct 'average party level' number.

Its basically the point system from Whose Line is it Anyways.

Edit: You should be able to complete most of the event battles released on Thursdays through judicious use of RW OSB's and blowing everything else you have to get to the boss.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    silence let me know that the JP 3rd Anniversary Select items are known. Ayame's BSB is on there but I'm both not willing to wait 6 months nor do I trust that they'll leave those mostly unchanged for global any more at this mess. Thanks for the headsup, though.

Some of the choices on that list are...well. Who would EVER pull the VIII set there? For any reason? Even if Quistis was your personal FFBFF, they've got Lightning BSB2 on one of those.

I get the sense that DeNA is really bad at "systemic approaches".

Brody wrote: »
    @azith28

Well thats helpful.

@azith28

Well thats helpful.

Sorry, I edited my post to add more helpful information. I have a newborn at home, so my brain is only half engaged.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I have a solid number of healer bursts, so I'm trying really hard not to pull on this, even if I keep wondering if Vanille might help me finally beat a Magicite dungeon.

On that note, how are people hitting cap on Bismark with OSB's? I've got TGCid, Minfilia's burstga/Rikku's USB, and I'm still just hitting in the mid/upper 80's.

TGCid can't enelement himself. I take him out to Bismarck with 40% lightning boost gear and he hits the 80k threshhold too, but if he could boost his damage with an enaura? Capped for daaaays.

Someone like Lightning, meanwhile, with her natural 9% lightning legend sphere boost, plus 3% boost for using a Sword or Gun, and can EnLightning herself via 3 different ways, shouldn't have a problem.
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    So, healer BSB question for you folks also drowning in them. Iris' BSB seems very interesting, and I see the general power of it. I don't know why I would opt for her over Larsa or Y'shtola though. I dunno if stoneskin would make up for the lost healing and SB generation compared to Larsa, and Astra is either golden or useless depending on if the boss is using status attacks without much room in the middle. I will have to take her out for a couple of test spins to see for certain when I find a good target. Crystal Tower future boss obviously makes the concerns much less since you can have space for all 3 on various teams as needed. Is there a niche just for her though?

I suspect Iris will have more uses in an MP raid, where she's usually not the sole healer, but any amount of healing is useful against some of the more dangerous fights, and a status blink is almost always welcome. Her lower healing entry just means you'd use it when characters aren't quite at death's door, but still just after a heavy piercing AoE.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

@azith28

Well thats helpful.

Sorry, I edited my post to add more helpful information. I have a newborn at home, so my brain is only half engaged.

No, i understood you perfectly, your fine. I love Whose line is it.

I have a solid number of healer bursts, so I'm trying really hard not to pull on this, even if I keep wondering if Vanille might help me finally beat a Magicite dungeon.

On that note, how are people hitting cap on Bismark with OSB's? I've got TGCid, Minfilia's burstga/Rikku's USB, and I'm still just hitting in the mid/upper 80's.

TGCid can't enelement himself. I take him out to Bismarck with 40% lightning boost gear and he hits the 80k threshhold too, but if he could boost his damage with an enaura? Capped for daaaays.

Someone like Lightning, meanwhile, with her natural 9% lightning legend sphere boost, plus 3% boost for using a Sword or Gun, and can EnLightning herself via 3 different ways, shouldn't have a problem.

Bah, I have her BSB2/Good enlightning SSB, but not her OSB/USB.

Maybe I should try Hydra or something. I have Tifa's BSB, or Rydia's. And Rinoa's OSB/Enearth... Maybe that would be enough?

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    @azith28

Well thats helpful.

Fight-specific mechanics start dominating the difficulty of the fights as you progress. If you've got a team that can clear a level 70 difficulty fight, that team should be able to clear any level 70 difficulty fight. For the 200s, you need to have some combination of specific stat bonuses/relic effects, and the real difficulty will depend on what you've been able to pull.

Narbus wrote: »
    @azith28

Well thats helpful.

Fight-specific mechanics start dominating the difficulty of the fights as you progress. If you've got a team that can clear a level 70 difficulty fight, that team should be able to clear any level 70 difficulty fight. For the 200s, you need to have some combination of specific stat bonuses/relic effects, and the real difficulty will depend on what you've been able to pull.

Which is where the scale starts to break down. Pulled Cid's (FFT) OSB? Then fight A is a cakewalk, but fight B will be basically impossible. Pulled Cid's (XIV) claw? A isn't going to happen, but B will get wrecked. Pulled Y'shtola's BSB? Well, at least it won't kill you right away...

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Maybe I should try Hydra or something. I have Tifa's BSB, or Rydia's. And Rinoa's OSB/Enearth... Maybe that would be enough?

I would think it should be. I manage Hydra with Tifa BSB, and Maria BSB. Admittedly Maria does a lot of the heavy lifting, but a en-OSB combo fueled by entrusters should more than make up for it. This is assuming proper support staff so to speak, but if you made it this far I assume you have most of that in place.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also, I found that difficulty numbers on normal dungeons and elite dungeons don't really map, either. Early on, there was cases where I'd completely wreck difficulty 50 in Normal dungeon, but have a hard time with difficulty 50 in Elite.

I would think it should be. I manage Hydra with Tifa BSB, and Maria BSB. Admittedly Maria does a lot of the heavy lifting, but a en-OSB combo fueled by entrusters should more than make up for it. This is assuming proper support staff so to speak, but if you made it this far I assume you have most of that in place.

I feel like thats where I keep running into trouble, I have 3/4 of a couple different teams that would be great, but I always seem to be missing something.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Golem down to 00:36.43 on a near perfect run with this team. Argh, I'm SO close. I just don't know what else I can do.

I need like OK BSB or some other Entruster that can haste.

Wait shit is it time for Larsa SSB shenanigans?

Oh. Hmmmm. That bears thinking about.

I can switch Alphinaud to Faith/Shellga to make up the difference and just ride the line of less healing...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Oh, hey. Deuce can use Allegro con moto.

Hmm. HMMMM.

Nah. Gotta hold onto megalixers.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Is Deuce's BSB good? I got that as well as a dupe vanille bsb

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

I can cap Orlandeau's OSB against Bismarck, but I'm packing 40% lightning gear and use Hydra to imperil first, after VoF and Minfilia's SSB. I also cap each hit of Lightning's BSB2 entry but that's also with 40% gear and her USB active. With en-lightning and an imperil or two both should cap with their SBs.

Also, I found that difficulty numbers on normal dungeons and elite dungeons don't really map, either. Early on, there was cases where I'd completely wreck difficulty 50 in Normal dungeon, but have a hard time with difficulty 50 in Elite.

This is definitely a case of "first year problems". The first 3 or 4 content updates were riddled with fights that had a difficulty rating that meant one thing, but were vastly overtuned, or gave the boss enemy one mechanic that ignored all your high level shenanigans. Elite Mt. Kolts with Vargas and the two Ipoohs? Elite North Mountain with Magissa and Forza? Not balanced at all. A good chunk of the later FFVI elite dungeons like the Mt. Zozo stages and Wind Dragon fight were rough before they made some changes, but I think there's still a few unbalanced fights in the game if a regular party tried them without going in with an overpowered RW.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

Deuce's BSB is ridiculous good for speed clears on Magicite.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    So I've got Rinoa and Rydia, neither of whom can Wrath, and Rikku USB (no wrath), and Selphie BSB (no wrath). I feel like for a normal Earth weak boss this would be fine, but with Magicite I just can't imagine it will be fast enough.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have lit boost sword, shield, +30% damage rm,
    Darklyre wrote: »

I can cap Orlandeau's OSB against Bismarck, but I'm packing 40% lightning gear and use Hydra to imperil first, after VoF and Minfilia's SSB. I also cap each hit of Lightning's BSB2 entry but that's also with 40% gear and her USB active. With en-lightning and an imperil or two both should cap with their SBs.

Really? What is your Orlandeau's attack? I have 40% lit gear +30% damage RM, two level 90 enlirs, shout and VOF and dark bargain and I'm still around 80k

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Dupe/11: Larsa BSB. 's alright, gettin' the bad ones outta the way now.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    silence let me know that the JP 3rd Anniversary Select items are known. Ayame's BSB is on there but I'm both not willing to wait 6 months nor do I trust that they'll leave those mostly unchanged for global any more at this mess. Thanks for the headsup, though.

Some of the choices on that list are...well. Who would EVER pull the VIII set there? For any reason? Even if Quistis was your personal FFBFF, they've got Lightning BSB2 on one of those.

I get the sense that DeNA is really bad at "systemic approaches".
    Hey now, Quistis has a wrathable enelement+OSB combo on a mage. There aren't many of those! And in an element which most people don't have (although I guess DeNA has all but given up on bio-weak enemies...).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Deuce's BSB was probably my biggest want here, so yea Deuce's BSB is good, heh.

And re: 3rd anniversary selection, don't hate on the Quistis Enpoison Doomtrain combo. It's devastating!

Just hard to use now with the way resists are everywhere these days. But man when I got the enelement to go with doomtrain at the beginning of this year she lit up so many fights with dingdingdingding.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    cursedking wrote: »

Maybe. Probably. She's the BSB of choice for speedruns in Japan right now, but that relies on bard skills which we may or may not get. She's a self-packaged source of huge buffs for phys or mage parties if we do though.
    So, healer BSB question for you folks also drowning in them. Iris' BSB seems very interesting, and I see the general power of it. I don't know why I would opt for her over Larsa or Y'shtola though. I dunno if stoneskin would make up for the lost healing and SB generation compared to Larsa, and Astra is either golden or useless depending on if the boss is using status attacks without much room in the middle. I will have to take her out for a couple of test spins to see for certain when I find a good target. Crystal Tower future boss obviously makes the concerns much less since you can have space for all 3 on various teams as needed. Is there a niche just for her though?

The thing that makes her extra appealing to me is that I also drew her LMR, so I get free 2x cast without needing to dive her, which is great because her legend dive sucks. Her bubble likely gives her more effective heal than Larsa, especially in physical parties, and the advantage she has over Y'shtola (sometimes) is the Astra.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    So I've got Rinoa and Rydia, neither of whom can Wrath, and Rikku USB (no wrath), and Selphie BSB (no wrath). I feel like for a normal Earth weak boss this would be fine, but with Magicite I just can't imagine it will be fast enough.

Do you have any other magic buffs? If not it might be doable, but yeah I see the struggles. Personally, I would run Chain Stonega, and/or Meltdown on the first two, and use the second two for buffs with the last slot for a healer. Hydra damage is no joke, but I would think it was a doable team. I dunno what kind of crystal, or mote access you have so it might be more difficult than I am imagining.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Larsa and Iris are pretty sidegradey. Larsa is probably generally better just because he can wrath his BSB and Iris can't, but Iris will heal a bit more, but will steal 50-100 meter from everyone per cast, and they are identical besides that. I'd probably use Larsa in most cases where I wanted an Astra just because stoneskin is rough business depending on the status going out, since you can't bonk off silence and confuse with a bubble up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Man, Sealion does not fuck around. I've got a repeatable ~45sec clear party with Locke OSB (but not an EnFire, unfortunately) and Braska BSB, but the boss does like to pile on with the Savages.

Edit: Ok well I just had a 41.28 clear with 1 stack of Ice Imperil on the party. Earlier today it was 45sec with three and a dead guy. Perhaps Sealion is just a bit inconsistent?

Also I haven't ever really used Locke OSB for anything but damn if he hasn't found a niche here, especially with R3 FireShooter. 1.2 second cast time for 50k damage is pretty damn nice.

Rius on
  • mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    1/11, Vanille BSB (non-dupe)

Sure!

Son's account:
    2/11, Porom BSB, dupe Aerith BSB

Sure!

Wish either of these pulls had provided some clarity on the fest banners, but maybe tomorrow's will.

Rius wrote: »
    Man, Sealion does not fuck around. I've got a repeatable ~45sec clear party with Locke OSB (but not an EnFire, unfortunately) and Braska BSB, but the boss does like to pile on with the Savages.

Edit: Ok well I just had a 41.28 clear with 1 stack of Ice Imperil on the party. Earlier today it was 45sec with three and a dead guy. Perhaps Sealion is just a bit inconsistent?

Also I haven't ever really used Locke OSB for anything but damn if he hasn't found a niche here, especially with R3 FireShooter. 1.2 second cast time for 50k damage is pretty damn nice.

Locke is on my shortlist to go full dive ham whenever we get his Legend Sphere unlocked, which I'm hoping will come to Global when his USB drops. I don't have his OSB, but his USB+BSB2 combo will be incredibly good. His LCSB being on the second banner is a shame, but this is where I hope DeNA still drops a Superfest banner on us when they open up Holy/Dark magicites.

Do you have any other magic buffs? If not it might be doable, but yeah I see the struggles. Personally, I would run Chain Stonega, and/or Meltdown on the first two, and use the second two for buffs with the last slot for a healer. Hydra damage is no joke, but I would think it was a doable team. I dunno what kind of crystal, or mote access you have so it might be more difficult than I am imagining.

Sarah(XIV), but she doesn't stack with Selphie...

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Apparently Locke and Zack got their legend dives along with the banners that came with magicite, so knowing Dena and the effort unlocking a thing separately apparently takes, I wouldn't count on Locke getting legend sphere anytime soon.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

If someone is bored and wants to work on creating any sort of Magicite team with https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/YueA#tab_soulstrikes available, and minimal 5*/6* abilities, I wouldn't complain.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    @silence1186 your post a few pages ago about Magicites for certain types of teams was super handy; I linked to it in the OP under the Magicite section in the big info spoiler.

Azith's questions as a newbie make me realize that that whole "info for beginners" section needs to be redone. It's all good info, but some of it isn't really new player pertinent. I need more info under that heading about RMs and leveling things up and mastering things and less info in there about Torment dungeons.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Deuce's BSB was probably my biggest want here, so yea Deuce's BSB is good, heh.

And re: 3rd anniversary selection, don't hate on the Quistis Enpoison Doomtrain combo. It's devastating!

Just hard to use now with the way resists are everywhere these days. But man when I got the enelement to go with doomtrain at the beginning of this year she lit up so many fights with dingdingdingding.

Even with Omni-resist, Quistis with her combo can put out some nice damage, since her BSB command 2 provides a MAG buff, and every part of her combo has a non-elemental component.

• MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    Should I pull on this lucky healer banner if I have decent medica choices already? Don't have healer bsb options beyond Penelo, but I have plenty of good ssb's and Aphmau USB

Kind of thinking I should save my 25 mythril for tomorrow

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2017
    MummBrah wrote: »
    Should I pull on this lucky healer banner if I have decent medica choices already? Don't have healer bsb options beyond Penelo, but I have plenty of good ssb's and Aphmau USB

You should definitely pull. Healer BSBs outperform SSBs by a ton, and variety will be key coming up with Crystal Tower.

Edit: Wait, do you only have 25 mythril? That may change things.

Gnizmo on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

Medica BSBs tend to make Cid Missions way more doable, so if you have any interest in those, I'd say it's worth the mythril

You should definitely pull. Healer BSBs outperform SSBs by a ton, and variety will be key coming up with Crystal Tower.

Edit: Wait, do you only have 25 mythril? That may change things.

IIRC he's also a fairly new player. In which case a couple of solid medica's are a good start, and maybe use that Mythril elsewhere.

edited September 2017
    doublepost

Brody on

This discussion has been closed.