As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why do my TV's speakers buzz?

DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a good'ol 27" Sony Trinitron CRT. The casing is made of black plastic. The glass on the screen is not perfectly flat. It displays only...*gasp* standard-definition signals. Its most advanced input is an S-video jack.

The picture on it is great. However, whenever it's on, there's a constant buzz coming from the speakers, even if the volume is turned all the way down. Additionally, the volume doesn't scale right - from 1 to 3 bars of volume are nearly completely silent and 4 is much, much louder. It scales normally from there. The buzzing is loud enough that at a normally comfortable hearing volume, the buzzing drowns out the actual sound. The buzzing does not get louder or quieter as I adjust the TV volume. It does not matter what the signal source is, or if there is a signal at all. It does not matter if I move the TV.

I don't know if the volume scaling problem and the buzzing are related, but friends of mine have similar models of Sony Trinitron TVs and don't have either problem.

Normally I would just use some external speakers, but as I said the speakers buzz whether the volume is up or not.

I have used my substantial Google-fu to see if this is a common TV problem but I can't find anybody else that describes exactly the same thing, and most things that cause TVs to buzz are either 1) not the speakers or 2) are the speakers, but scale with volume or they depend on the incoming signal.

Anybody have a clue what this is? It's really been driving me nuts for the last two years and I thought maybe I should attempt to remedy it.

DrFrylock on

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Normally I would just use some external speakers, but as I said the speakers buzz whether the volume is up or not.

Is there a way to disable the speakers entirely? I have a TV that has a speaker buzz, no matter what volume I had it at (even mute), but I found an option to TURN OFF the speakers. So I'm using external speakers with no buzz now.

To add to my post:
    Have you tried using any of the audio out functions? This may also be a way to disable the speakers, should there not be a menu option, thus eliminating buzz.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think this just means its time to get new a tv. TV is not like a computer where u can download new drivers or replace a piece of hardware. usually if something is messed up its prob cheaper to get a new tv than to pay for repairs.

turpentyine on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If there were a way to disable the speakers entirely, I would have done that. Sadly, as far as I know, there is not. Maybe there's some sort of undocumented service mode, but I'm doubtful this would even help.

I understand the economics of getting a new, er, used 27" TV from Craigslist here, I do. However, other than this one problem this is a perfectly good 60 pound piece of electronic equipment and I sort of feel like if this isn't a $200 flyback transformer I should at least attempt to fix it - or, well, have it fixed.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Like I said man, try throwing something into one of the audio out ports. Sometimes plugging in headphones into the headphone jack will turn off TV speakers, for example. Which would allow you to plug external speakers into that. Or the RCA audio out port. Try that, worth a Hail Mary.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I imagine it's something pretty easy to fix, but electronics repair rates are kind of exorbitant. I would check with a local electronics repair place and see how much they'd charge you to repair it, but also ask them how much they'd charge just to physically disconnect the speakers. The second option should be basically the cheapest thing you can get them to do, since they won't need to order parts and it will be less than an hour of work (which I'm assuming is what they'll bill you by).
    The only reason I'm not suggesting you just open it up and desolder/clip the wires yourself is that TVs have components inside them that can kill or seriously injure you if you don't know what you're doing, even if they've been unplugged for a considerable time.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/