As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I need that candy. This event is purely pandering to high-level players and I love it. Ampharos, Ho!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    The stardust is the big thing for me. I've been able to collect more thankfully now that I have a plus but that getting double would be a huuuuuge help.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I hope the weather cools down here in Ohio. It's been humid and hot the past few days.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    My area is getting to that point where it's raining every day again. I've already got 6 Pokemon holding down gyms for days. That's not good at all.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Monday night I saw an egg spawning in my neighborhood for a Raikou. I figured "hey, I'll let it spawn and give it 10 minutes for people to assemble before I walk over there."

I show up at the Raikou with the timer on the gym literally showing 50 minutes left on the clock. And the group that killed it was already disbanding when I got there. I didn't want to be rude, but I politely told all of them that not even waiting 10 minutes to kill it is kind of dickish.

Fast forward to last night. Saw another gym with the Raikou egg. Due to my experience on Monday night, I was like "I will leave my apartment at the 60 minute mark, which will put me at like 3 minutes of actual spawned time when I get there. Show up and he's already dead. I was like "what the hell" to the group and they were like "oh yah, we've been sitting here waiting."

Like what the fuck. I guess this new egg meta means if you aren't there AT the spawn time you miss the kill. These people have no consideration for waiting for other people to show up. Jeez.

• Options
    Yeah that's a dick move. Why not hang around for ~10 minutes at least to make sure everyone can stop by.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    If there's no communication before-hand about people coming I don't see why anyone should wait just in case another person shows up. If they know you're coming that's another thing entirely.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    If there's no communication before-hand about people coming I don't see why anyone should wait just in case another person shows up. If they know you're coming that's another thing entirely.

IMO if the raid JUST started I'd hang around a few minutes just in case.

But this is also dependent on the weather.

• Options

On Monday night I actually did post it in the local Discord channel for my city. Nobody replied or said anything at all.

Last night I just went. But seriously. They had it dead within like 3 minutes of spawning.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Dead within 3 minutes of spawning is pretty surprising. The lobby wait time is 2 minutes alone. Must have been a high level raiding group or a large crowd or something. Totally understandable to be frustrated about that.

That said, I just wanted to push back against the idea of waiting, like, 10 minutes for people that may or may not come. There are times when I'm ducking out on my lunch break to try and get a raid in and while I'm always willing to wait (or X out of lobby) if I see someone coming, I do have limited time available to me.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It's highly unlikely 10-15 people showed up to the egg independently. Especially this late in the cycle. More likely they were a preorganized group and had no way of knowing you were coming.

• Options
    Dead within 3 minutes of spawning is pretty surprising. The lobby wait time is 2 minutes alone. Must have been a high level raiding group or a large crowd or something. Totally understandable to be frustrated about that.

That said, I just wanted to push back against the idea of waiting, like, 10 minutes for people that may or may not come. There are times when I'm ducking out on my lunch break to try and get a raid in and while I'm always willing to wait (or X out of lobby) if I see someone coming, I do have limited time available to me.

Everyone has limited time. Getting to a raid that you just noticed and having people walk away immediately sucks. Waiting a few minutes after the raid unlocks seems like a pretty good idea to me.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Everyone has limited time. Getting to a raid that you just noticed and having people walk away immediately sucks. Waiting a few minutes after the raid unlocks seems like a pretty good idea to me.

???
    They've already been forced to wait an hour?
    If we still didn't have the egg wait time then you would have a point.
    There is nothing wrong with starting if they don't know you're coming or haven't already announced a later time in a chat somewhere.

Just be punctual, and arrive on the hour.

• Options
    I guess I'm a bit more patient than others. Unless there's a dire need to do it right then and there's 2 hours until despawn I can wait.

This whole thing would be resolved if fucking Niantic would let people redo a raid... Maybe not for the capture but at least the exp and loot.

• Options
    I guess I'm a bit more patient than others. Unless there's a dire need to do it right then and there's 2 hours until despawn I can wait.

This whole thing would be resolved if fucking Niantic would let people redo a raid... Maybe not for the capture but at least the exp and loot.

This would require either purchasing another pass (at which point people would want to recatch) or allowing players to level up very quickly for no cost.
    I do not think we want to increase the burn-out rate on new raids...

• Options
    I think perhaps a time broadcast system that allows interested players to display a next party starting at: on the gym and also click on the time to add themselves to a counter of expected players would be the way to go.
    Basically an in game group organisation system

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I think perhaps a time broadcast system that allows interested players to display a next party starting at: on the gym and also click on the time to add themselves to a counter of expected players would be the way to go.
    Basically an in game group organisation system

Why would you want that in a game that requires coordination across player groups? Madness.

• Options
    Yeah the RSVP system would be a great addition to the game.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    There are a few people in our local discord group that I get along great with and was lucky enough to do a couple of raids with when my wife and I went out hunting last night. Wound being fruitful too as I got a 96% Venusaur and a 100% Wheezing. :D

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I completed my Mewtwo EX Raid last night and caught Mewtwo.
    gunpocceaf2s.png

And I have a confession to make. This is the first Mewtwo I have ever caught in any game. Despite my absolute love of Pokémon, I have never made it to the end of the originals. Not in Red/Blue/Yellow, and not in FireRed or LeafGreen.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I got mine as well last night. Not the best at 77% IV, but it did have 14 attack so I'm happy.

This is also my first Mewtwo because I have never played a Pokemon game before Go.

Ruldar on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I think a Mewtwo egg is about to pop in our work back yard. No raid invite. That's kind of frustrating...

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, it looks like the event is live? I just caught a Ditto and it gave me 200 stardust. Does anyone know whats in the boxes?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Should have started about 25 minutes ago. These events go live at 1pm PDT.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I had about 1k sitting around since I decided to only buy bag and pokemon space when I need it and ended up buying the 480 coin package. Figure why not get a few super incubators, purge 9 of these 5k eggs in my bags, and try to load up on 2k eggs?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    So, it looks like the event is live? I just caught a Ditto and it gave me 200 stardust. Does anyone know whats in the boxes?

They say what's in them when you click on them. If you only care about incubators then the special box has the best value. The ultra box has the biggest overall discount.

I liked this breakdown on reddit:
    .6 Special Boxes for 2880 coins: 18 Super Inc, 0 Eggs, 30 Lures
    3 Great Boxes for 2940 coins: 15 Super Inc, 12 Eggs, 30 Lures
    2 Ultra Boxes for 2960 coins: 16 Super Inc, 16 Eggs, 30 Lures

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What do super incubators do exactly?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Reduces the distance needed to hatch eggs.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Reduces the distance needed to hatch eggs.

Makes the distance 66 percent of normal. 10k goes down to 6.6k. Nice but not mind-blowing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Do they have multiple uses? Because that alone doesn’t sound very awesome if it’s a one-use device…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    How long does this egg and double stardust event last? I just now cleared out my backlog of old eggs.

It was a super busy weekend and I was not able to do any walking or egg hatching.

• Options
    Do they have multiple uses? Because that alone doesn’t sound very awesome if it’s a one-use device…

Three uses, as normal.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How long does this egg and double stardust event last? I just now cleared out my backlog of old eggs.

It was a super busy weekend and I was not able to do any walking or egg hatching.

The event goes through October 2 (next Monday!), so you've got plenty of time.

• Options
    Walked the dog late tonight and as I was walking into the door way a fucking wild Gyarados appeared at the nearby park. You better believe I jumped onto my bike and biked to the park to catch it. Ended up catching a 1750 Gyarados with Dragontail and Hydro Pump. Was hoping for Outrage, but I'll take it.

Regardless. I guess I can put that Magikarp back that I walked for 75 km already. Only had 75 km more to go until 400....

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Walked the dog late tonight and as I was walking into the door way a fucking wild Gyarados appeared at the nearby park. You better believe I jumped onto my bike and biked to the park to catch it. Ended up catching a 1750 Gyarados with Dragontail and Hydro Pump. Was hoping for Outrage, but I'll take it.

Regardless. I guess I can put that Magikarp back that I walked for 75 km already. Only had 75 km more to go until 400....

That's what TMs are for! But IIRC, hydro pump was pretty good too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The special 2km Eggs have been pretty good to my son so far. 3 larvitars and a chancey. The 10km he got also popped a snorlax. Hopefully mine will be just as nice (although I can't seem to spin a 2km to save my life.)

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    The special 2km Eggs have been pretty good to my son so far. 3 larvitars and a chancey. The 10km he got also popped a snorlax. Hopefully mine will be just as nice (although I can't seem to spin a 2km to save my life.)

That’s awesome! I’ve only gotten 5k eggs since the event started...

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    I have hatched one 2k egg from the event. It was Mareep. Which of course I didn't need.

• Options
    Wish they had tweaked the special 2km eggs to give you more than like five candies, but hey, I'll take hatching a Larvitar over not hatching one.

• Options
    Yeah, Larvitar is my most desired one.

I don't think Elekid is on the list of special egg hatches, but I really want an Elekid too. I've hatched like 6 Magbys and not a single Elekid. It's frustrating.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

That’s awesome! I’ve only gotten 5k eggs since the event started...

Same! I cleared out my egg space with a whole slew of Special Incubators, and then...2 2K eggs, and 7 5K eggs. Thanks.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games