As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sneakman wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I have HoT. I'm considering getting PoF if it benefits me any with my low level characters.

If mounts are for 80+, then I probably won't get it. If I get mounts on my lowbie characters for increased movement and such, then I might consider picking it up.

Mounts are account bound and unlocked for all characters. My 31 warrior is riding her raptor through Kessex Hills. It's pretty sweet. :)

So you'll want at least one lvl80 character to start the PoF story, and unlock mounts. After that, any character could use the mount.

And the benefits of mounts are: increased movement speed, increased mobility (like, the raptor has a long horizontal leap), and a battle initiating attack (there's no mounted combat, but your raptor can jump into a mob of enemies and do an attack that damages them before it disappears, leaving you to do other combat as normal).

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Something I haven't seen mentioned. Can you be knocked off your mount or are you able to just fly through dense groups now without issue if you're not snared?

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Mounts have a health bar, if they take damage and deplete the health bar they disappear. It can be fall damage or enemy damage.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I have HoT. I'm considering getting PoF if it benefits me any with my low level characters.

If mounts are for 80+, then I probably won't get it. If I get mounts on my lowbie characters for increased movement and such, then I might consider picking it up.

Mounts are account bound and unlocked for all characters. My 31 warrior is riding her raptor through Kessex Hills. It's pretty sweet. :)

So you'll want at least one lvl80 character to start the PoF story, and unlock mounts. After that, any character could use the mount.

And the benefits of mounts are: increased movement speed, increased mobility (like, the raptor has a long horizontal leap), and a battle initiating attack (there's no mounted combat, but your raptor can jump into a mob of enemies and do an attack that damages them before it disappears, leaving you to do other combat as normal).

I don't think it's mentioned on the skill tool tip but the raptor attack also pulls enemies towards you. I've been jumping into those raiding parties and just AoE'ing them down in seconds.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So Scourge at least feels good in a condi build in terms of move set so far. Whether the numbers will back that up remains to be seen given that Deathly Chill from Reaper is such a powerful trait but torch feels better to use than using GS for whirl finishers and otherwise needing to spin in your own ice fields to build more bleed stacks and hoping someone else doesn't overwrite those fields. And having a condition to boon converter in F2 is great when dagger 4 is unavailable while F3 is a decent oh crap button and F4 is readily available fear for break bars. F5 is the real star though with torment and burn stacks. You can burn through life force really quickly but it at least feels like there's things worth burning life force for.

I'll need to play around with traits to see what feels best with Curses and Scourge. I've usually run Blood with Reaper because the added utility was handy PuGging T4 fractals and occasionally picking someone up from a HoT boss but Soul Reaping would benefit both damage and utility. And who knows about ideal gear yet but Scourge is a lot more split in terms of damaging conditions so focusing on Bleeding with Krait runes may not be ideal.

I haven't actually tried the spec in any content of consequence yet, but another necro was using it in a T4 PuG that went through Aetherblade, Chaos, and Nightmare and it was a very smooth run despite everyone but me trying out a new elite spec.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Scourge feels weird to me because I'm so used to just ignoring damage and never having to dodge shit, and now I gotta pay a lot more attention and manage my sand shades and throw up a barrier before I take any damage, all the while still dishing out damage to enemies. I like the change of pace though, so I'ma stick with it as I unlock the rest of the spec and play through the story and explore and stuff.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Speaking of condi damage, I swapped my sword and dagger weaver over to my old mix of rabid/ravager condi armor and hoooboy is that an improvement. Way less squishy in PoE and that setup spits out a hilarious amount of damage. You just keep bouncing between fire/earth and earth/fire and it liberally dumps burns and bleeds everywhere. I'm tinkering with earth and arcane right now but am gonna keep experimenting to see what other mysteries work well together.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »

I don't think it's mentioned on the skill tool tip but the raptor attack also pulls enemies towards you. I've been jumping into those raiding parties and just AoE'ing them down in seconds.

That's one of the mastery upgrades.
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen mentioned. Can you be knocked off your mount or are you able to just fly through dense groups now without issue if you're not snared?

As said above, they have their own health bar. If they die, you fall on your face and take a few seconds to get up, so it's a risk running through enemies. However, the Raptor I'm finding is pretty boss for this once you get the upgraded jump. It zooms forwards a huge distance, enough that no enemies I know of would be able to do anything or catch up if you get through their initial barrage. Can't do it too often in a row, but if you're looking at just quickly unlocking areas and ignoring mobs, the Raptor is what you want.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really loving some of the new monster design. The first zone is gorgeous. So much nicer a welcome than HoT and its Pocket Sand Raptors

• Options
    I've only seen the first two zones, but I love them. So much variety and hidden gems.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Scourge feels weird to me because I'm so used to just ignoring damage and never having to dodge shit, and now I gotta pay a lot more attention and manage my sand shades and throw up a barrier before I take any damage, all the while still dishing out damage to enemies. I like the change of pace though, so I'ma stick with it as I unlock the rest of the spec and play through the story and explore and stuff.

There's a lot of content that will two shot a necro through shroud with its big attacks so that probably helps with the transition to living without it for some.

That said, remember that you count as a shade as well for f2-f5, the Scourge heal is a much better on demand heal than other options, f3 and f5 both throw up barriers, f4 is very strong CC, Trail of Anguish is a stun breaker, and people have mentioned using the teleport/portal as an extra dodge.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Just got booted from a story mission, couldn't get back in and then crashed. Now login server errors. Bummer!

Edit: I'm back! Only about 10 minutes out of game, not too bad.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Praise Joko.

You buy.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

There's a lot of content that will two shot a necro through shroud with its big attacks so that probably helps with the transition to living without it for some.

That said, remember that you count as a shade as well for f2-f5, the Scourge heal is a much better on demand heal than other options, f3 and f5 both throw up barriers, f4 is very strong CC, Trail of Anguish is a stun breaker, and people have mentioned using the teleport/portal as an extra dodge.

Yeah, I finally figured that out about myself counting as a shade. Been using those f skills a lot more, and I gotta say I'm liking scourge a lot the more I play it. The torch skills are nice too,

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    ArenaNet put together an infographic to show off some interesting numbers over what's been done since the game started.
    c12Zg5R.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say that I've been up with my parents for a wedding the last couple days and I'm just about to get on my plane home so I've only got 4 hours left to stew in my jealously. See you in Elona!

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Anyone else having issues logging in and stuff?

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yes, there's a post on the official forum about the various connectivity issues :(
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/148292#Comment_148292

Sorry about leaving missions partway done with all the problems - we should be back to normal next Sunday!

Leandriell on
  • Options
    I think everyone's busy in-game, but wanted to ask build stuff.

I kinda know what I'm doing on my revenant. (Kinda.) But I'm curious to know- how are people gearing/speccing for deadeye, mirage, and holosmith?

I was looking to Metabattle for some info but with the API's being disabled for the time being, there's a lot of stuff missing.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Playing yesterday with non-PoF content, and mounts are super fun outside of Elona. The speed boost and ability to evade enemies thanks to the built in inability to be immobilised makes travel absolutely trivial. There's the noted risk that the mount can be killed and leave you faceplanting under a barrage of attacks, but outside of some areas of Orr or the Maguuma there's not many enemies that can alpha strike a mount down.

So now when you're in the core and HoT areas you just see people leap-zooming around on Raptors, skimming over water in Skimmers and bypassing obstacles to high vistas and other difficult areas on Springers. This makes for pretty good advertising to free to play people since mounts are pretty awesome. It's much more in-your-face than Gliders were. Especially with the attack to dismount abilites, you can run into a fight some people are having, combat dismount and start helping, then when it's over, remount and zoom off.

For my Ranger, the speed boost has meant that for the first time since launch I have a number 7 skill slot, which has permanently been Signet of the Hunt for the permanent 25% speed boost. Now I'm at a loss for what to do with the slot, I've gotten so used to only having 2 skill slots.

Regarding PoF open content, it seems really really light on ongoing grind. The masteries are all based on mounts, and the much, much reduced experience per level means people will done with the masteries very quickly. There's large group events on the maps, but there doesn't seem to be as many huge map sized metas like HoT had.

I'm wondering if this is a deliberate decision to keep people going back to older areas, particularly HoT, where many more players are needed to do the map based meta events and much more grind is needed to get masteries. I know that personally, I am only about 1/3 done on my HoT masteries, which I sort of ignored due to the massive amounts of experience needed to get them and the much harder to acquire mastery points, while in one day I'm about 1/2 done on my PoF masteries.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I really hope the take a balance pass at bounties. Or, introduce some 2-3 man bounties. Right now they are more like 10 man objectives in order to burn them down in time after getting there.

Plus, I tend to play the game in a duo with my wife. Having a few mini-bosses we could tackle as we explore would be great. As it stands, we just avoid the bounties and complain about how hard they are.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I really hope the take a balance pass at bounties. Or, introduce some 2-3 man bounties. Right now they are more like 10 man objectives in order to burn them down in time after getting there.

Plus, I tend to play the game in a duo with my wife. Having a few mini-bosses we could tackle as we explore would be great. As it stands, we just avoid the bounties and complain about how hard they are.

Yes! Having some elite bounties would be great. They'd honestly probably still be too tough for the more casual players to take down solo but someone who knows what they're doing would be able to take them on.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Project update!

I completed my ascended warhorn, The North Wind!

I'm just a few items away from completing TWO Mawdreys... one for me, one for Belasco.

I have my Gift of the Raven Spirit for Legendary Nevermore!!!

I need the following things:

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of Energy: All the non-crystalline dust.
    Gift of the Mists: complete the last two sections of the Gift of Battle reward track, buy enough Memories of Battle for the Gift of War.

Gift of Maguuma Mastery

Gift of Maguuma: two hero points in DS and about half of Tangled Depths.
    Gift of Insights: Itzel and Nuhock masteries 4 and 5, and ley line gliding. This will take a long time because it needs about 50 more mastery points and I only have 15.

Hubris

Well I learned that I shouldn't read wikis late at night because I missed some very important things. Let's do an update! We'll call this "The Shock of Realization" edition:

To Craft Nevermore, I need the following:

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of Energy: All the non-crystalline dust.
    Gift of the Mists: complete the last two sections of the Gift of Battle reward track, buy enough Memories of Battle for the Gift of War.

Gift of Maguuma Mastery
    Gift of Maguuma: about half of Tangled Depths.
    Gift of Insights: Itzel and Nuhock masteries 4 through 6. To complete this I need 45 additional mastery points.
    A Bloodstone Shard
    250 Crystalline Ingots (these need a Fulgurite, an Amalgamated Gemstone, an ecto, and a Crystalline Ore each)

Mystic Tribute (omg how did I miss this aaaaaaaaaa omg omg)
    Gifts of Condensed Might & Magic: I have less than 45 of the top tier item for any of these Gifts (Blood, Bones, Claws, Fangs, Dust, Scales, Totems, Venom). Additionally I'll need another entire set of dust over and above what the Gift of Energy needs.
    47 Mystic Clovers
    4 Mystic Coins

omg

Here we go, Nevermore update! This is comprehensive and includes what I've completed. :)
    The Raven Staff - Complete!
    This Ascended staff, along with the Gift of the Raven Spirit, is the output of the four-stage precursor process. It is itself a huge undertaking...

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of the Mists
    • Gift of War - Complete!
    • Gift of Battle - Complete!
    • Gift of Glory - Complete!
    • Cube of Stabilized Energy - This needs a Ball of Dark Energy, which means I need to either grind fractals for ascended trinkets that I trash over and over until one pops out, or I have to craft my own ascended weapon and burn it for the 100% chance. Any other suggestions are VERY welcome.
    100 Icy Runestones - Complete!
    Gift of the Raven Spirit - Complete! (this and the Raven Staff are created in the 4-stage Precursor process)
    Gift of Energy: 250/250 Crystalline (T6), 250/250 Incandescent (T5), 133/250 Luminous (T4), 39/250 Radiant (T3)

Gift of Maguuma Mastery
    Gift of Maguuma - Complete!
    This needs you to 100% the four Maguuma maps
    • Gift of the Fleet - Complete!
    • Gift of Tarir - Complete!
    • Gift of the Chak - Complete!
    • Gift of the Jungle - Complete!
    Gift of Insights (94 of 112 req mastery points)
    • Gift of the Exalted - Complete!
    • Gift of Gliding - Complete!
    • Gift of the Nuhock - Need masteries 4-6
    • Gift of the Itzel - need mastery 6
    A Bloodstone Shard
    250 Crystalline Ingots (these need a Fulgurite, an Amalgamated Gemstone, an ecto, and a Crystalline Ore each)

Mystic Tribute
    Gift of Condensed Might
    • Gift of Claws - 17/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Scales - 49/100 Armored (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Bones - 71/100 Ancient (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Fangs - 58/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    Gift of Condensed Magic
    • Gift of Blood - 47/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Venom - 84/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Totems - 32/100 Elaborate (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Dust - 20/100 Crystalline (T6), 89/250 Incandescent (T5), 0/50 Luminous (T4), 0/50 Radiant (T3)
    37/77 Mystic Clovers
    250/250 Mystic Coins - Complete!

OK, update time! I've completed two Itzel masteries, added some more clovers, and more T6 items for the Gifts of Might & Magic.

The Raven Staff - Complete!
    This Ascended staff, along with the Gift of the Raven Spirit, is the output of the four-stage precursor process. It is itself a huge undertaking...

Gift of Nevermore
    Gift of the Mists
    • Gift of War - Complete!
    • Gift of Battle - Complete!
    • Gift of Glory - Complete!
    • Cube of Stabilized Energy - This needs a Ball of Dark Energy, which means I need to either grind fractals for ascended trinkets that I trash over and over until one pops out, or I have to craft my own ascended weapon and burn it for the 100% chance. Any other suggestions are VERY welcome.
    100 Icy Runestones - Complete!
    Gift of the Raven Spirit - Complete! (this and the Raven Staff are created in the 4-stage Precursor process)
    Gift of Energy: 250/250 Crystalline (T6), 250/250 Incandescent (T5), 133/250 Luminous (T4), 39/250 Radiant (T3)

Gift of Maguuma Mastery
    Gift of Maguuma - Complete!
    This needs you to 100% the four Maguuma maps
    • Gift of the Fleet - Complete!
    • Gift of Tarir - Complete!
    • Gift of the Chak - Complete!
    • Gift of the Jungle - Complete!
    Gift of Insights (94 of 112 req mastery points)
    • Gift of the Exalted - Complete!
    • Gift of Gliding - Complete!
    • Gift of the Nuhock - Need masteries 4-6
    • Gift of the Itzel - need mastery 6
    A Bloodstone Shard

Mystic Tribute
    Gift of Condensed Might
    • Gift of Claws - 17/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Scales - 49/100 Armored (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Bones - 71/100 Ancient (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Fangs - 58/100 Vicious (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    Gift of Condensed Magic
    • Gift of Blood - 47/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Venom - 84/100 Powerful (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Totems - 32/100 Elaborate (T6), (T5), (T4), (T3)
    • Gift of Dust - 20/100 Crystalline (T6), 89/250 Incandescent (T5), 0/50 Luminous (T4), 0/50 Radiant (T3)
    37/77 Mystic Clovers
    250/250 Mystic Coins - Complete!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I was considering crafting Nevermore, but looking at the wiki, the Maguuma legendary weapons need double the T6 materials that a core Legendary needs? Ugh. I'll give that a hard pass.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It is a sick looking staff, though.

• Options
    It really is. But gathering one stack of each T6 material killed me. Doing it twice? Yeah nah I'm good.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It really is. But gathering one stack of each T6 material killed me. Doing it twice? Yeah nah I'm good.

It's only a hundred of each T6 for the Might & Magic gifts, apart from the endless wood gathering. And double the Crystalline Dust, but that comes super fast from salvaging ectos.

• Options
    edited September 2017

It's only a hundred of each T6 for the Might & Magic gifts, apart from the endless wood gathering. And double the Crystalline Dust, but that comes super fast from salvaging ectos.

Misread that. However it also requires 2 stacks each of T5 materials and 200 of each T3 and T4 material, plus an extra full stack of T6 dust and other dusts. So it didn't exactly get cheaper regarding materials.

I think I'll just make do being happy with Kudzu.

-Loki- on
  • Options

T6 materials are lot easier to get ahold of now with unbound magic. Selling the excess T6 materials from that while keeping what I still needed was part of how I funded my Shining Blade.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Also I'm swimming in T5 materials from doing the meta in the HoT areas. Well over a thousand of each.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Speaking of condi damage, I swapped my sword and dagger weaver over to my old mix of rabid/ravager condi armor and hoooboy is that an improvement. Way less squishy in PoE and that setup spits out a hilarious amount of damage. You just keep bouncing between fire/earth and earth/fire and it liberally dumps burns and bleeds everywhere. I'm tinkering with earth and arcane right now but am gonna keep experimenting to see what other mysteries work well together.

Can you tell me you gear mix and runes? I could use a new gear setup on my ele.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I've got my eye on a legendary. Slowly working my way through PoF content though. Really taking my time.

Digging renegade so far, but I don't think the utility skills I've unlocked so far are particularly good. The resource cost to cast them is too high considering the benefit they seem to give. But I've only unlocked the first two. I could see them being better if you had a few people around you to take advantage of the buffs they give, but that requires players to be immobile in a pretty mobility focused game.

I think I might go Mallyx and Shiro. Jalla's a strong option too, but I'll mess around with renegade until I've unlocked all the bits and see where it takes me.

Short bow is great though, I really like having a viable condition ranged weapon on my Revenant to use instead of the power focused hammer.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Im using the renegade legend, but its really.. not great. I think sticking with Jalis' (Swiftness and hammers that do crazy damage? yes pls) and Mallyx for my condi spec. My power rev is staying herald, shes perfect just the way she is.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Agree with you both- so far my renegade has basically grabbed shortbow instead of hammer (which he was only using for a ranged option) but is sticking with Jalis and Mallyx.

However, I do find that if I am pelting stuff with shortbow, my Jalis is basically used just for heals/cleanses and I don't even know if Mallyx's elite can reach that far. I don't have all of renegade unlocked yet so I am missing a lot of the "spirits." May revisit once I have them all to see if they're worth using Kalla while at range.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Is it weird that I think I'm gonna keep grinding in the LWS3 maps for a week or 2 before diving fully into PoF? I've unlocked raptor of course but other than that I don't see anything I absolutely NEED and I'd rather go through the PoF story with ascended viper trinkets, a half-decent set of gear, and the condi build I've been aiming for on my ranger rather than the shitty soldier gear/power build I got upon using my boost.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I finally managed to finish LWS3 last night and dive into PoF. My damage feels absolutely abyssmal even though I'm a ranger. I've only got about 30 gold to my name and most of my gear is exotic now. Is there a good list of things I should strive for regarding Ascended Gear first?

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Non-spoilery reaction: crystal oasis is good but wow desert highlands. And mounts feel great.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Using my double post to also say the story is pretty good so far, like the cast of characters they chose to go with for this scenario.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    Cirira wrote: »
    I finally managed to finish LWS3 last night and dive into PoF. My damage feels absolutely abyssmal even though I'm a ranger. I've only got about 30 gold to my name and most of my gear is exotic now. Is there a good list of things I should strive for regarding Ascended Gear first?

Weapons and trinkets. The jump from exotic armor to ascended armor is much smaller than the boost from weapons and trinkets.

If you haven't done the post HoT memorial quest yet, that's a pretty easy ascended sword or dagger the first time through.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm a little torn - I feel like they swapped the group bits from HPs to story mission cheevos, which is wonderful for unlocking your new spec, but just blows if you are a solo player trying to get a few extra cheevos or mastery points. I'm not really interested in trying to find a group to complete a solo story mission faster or better. =/

I'm glad my new engi could only afford rabid gear to start - that extra bit of toughness has really made some of the missions more tolerable - there's some aggro issues that really can result in a butt-ton of enemies coming down on you if you're not creeping through a story instance. I'm thinking I'll try and make some viper jewelry (or just get LS3 ascended viper's) and keep the rabid for now to generate a mix.

The last thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting much of any gear loot for missions. These junky elonian weapons and click for karma one-offs are pretty odd choice for some of the high stakes shit were doing in the desert.