As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come post pictures of your [Gunpla] & other scale models in this thread

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    G-Gundam Never

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    G-Gundam Never

All I'm saying is come talk to me when UC has a horse in spandex piloting a horse shaped gundam.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    G-Gundam Never

Windmill Gundam when?

That would be never, my friend.
    see317 wrote: »
    G-Gundam Never

All I'm saying is come talk to me when UC has a horse in spandex piloting a horse shaped gundam.

Lieutenant Quattro's more clever.

His pilot chair's made of pleather!

edit:
    Yeah I dunno what I'm saying either

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Lt. Quattros more bold.

His mobile suits made of gold!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    G-Gundam Never

Windmill Gundam when?

That would be nether, my friend.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What are robot spirits? Are they more like action figures? Are they 1/144?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2017
    What are robot spirits? Are they more like action figures? Are they 1/144?

They are action figures and yes they are 1/144.

edit:

Robot Damashii = The Robot Spirits. Similiar to an HG kit with some differences (articulation is different/more robust, things like hands and how they hold weapons are different. RD's are slightly more detailed and "complete" ie you don't have to paint them).

A.N.I.M.E = sub-line of Robot Damashii that focuses on the original Mobile Suit Gundam suits and art-style. Known for being accessories/effects heavy and for having innovative and game-changing joint systems. This is currently the "active" Robot Damashii line, although that may change soon as they are running out of MSG suits to release. Every Robot Damashii you see in that pic is from the A.N.I.M.E subline.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I would love to see the backronym for A.N.I.M.E.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ask and ye shall receive

new_gundam_figures-1200x502.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    yeah its......

yeah

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    sure, why not
    muBSdi9.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    jeeeeez that's big

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, 1/20th scale? Doesn't that mean it's like 8 feet tall or something?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Wait, 1/20th scale? Doesn't that mean it's like 8 feet tall or something?

The Unicorn Gundam is 21.7M tall, so a 1/20 scale would be 1m 85cm tall, or about 3-1/2 feet.

I assume this is just a public display and not an actual kit we can buy later. I already can't afford either of the Millennium Falcon kits I want (PG or Lego UCS).

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm not sure what's even going on here, but whatever it is I find it fascinating:

vU5C1ji.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    The red haired kid found the Build Burning hidden in a Dom.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Gundam cosplay

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to matte spraying my first model. How many coats do folks recommend? It didn't look hugely different after a few spray downs, but it's really more subtle isn't it?

I'm super happy with it though - it was a really fun project. However the place where the crotch meets the lower midsection is super loose. I hope I'm describing it well - the legs are connected to a point, that point gets connected to the torso/lower body and it's basically a small nubbin into a hole and that is really not a great hold. Obviously I don't want to glue it because I think I'd lose swivelability. Any tips on tightening it so I can pick up the model without leaving the legs behind?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to matte spraying my first model. How many coats do folks recommend? It didn't look hugely different after a few spray downs, but it's really more subtle isn't it?

I'm super happy with it though - it was a really fun project. However the place where the crotch meets the lower midsection is super loose. I hope I'm describing it well - the legs are connected to a point, that point gets connected to the torso/lower body and it's basically a small nubbin into a hole and that is really not a great hold. Obviously I don't want to glue it because I think I'd lose swivelability. Any tips on tightening it so I can pick up the model without leaving the legs behind?

I think you're talking about the hip joint? Put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the peg and let it dry, then pop it back in. Should tighten it up a bit.

I think you can also do the same with super glue, but I haven't tried that method myself.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm not sure what's even going on here, but whatever it is I find it fascinating:
    vU5C1ji.jpg

This is what happens when a Gundam discovers chocolate, bacon, and chocolate covered bacon all in the same week.

see317 on
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

I think you're talking about the hip joint? Put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the peg and let it dry, then pop it back in. Should tighten it up a bit.

I think you can also do the same with super glue, but I haven't tried that method myself.

Don't use super glue. It gets brittle and will crack/flake off. I use nail polish with great success, just have to give it overnight to cure properly.

You can also insert a bit of thin paper between the rotating parts.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Had a nice little Gundamu haul:

73aaA79.jpg

UC FOREVER!

Nice. The MSIA GM v2 is great but I still have a soft spot for the v1 and pick them up when I see them at a good price.

My MSIA collection grew a bit since the last time I posted in the thread but unfortunately I won't be able to take pictures until Christmas. My next items to check off are the Elmeth, Psycho Gundam, and a few Zeta and ZZ figures. And then I can just start looking for good deals on the exclusives and Ace variants I don't already have.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hey, sooo, the U.S. Air Force is not only making laser weapons to retrofit on current and next gen fighters, they're also, uh, making funnels:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/news/a28100/darpa-factory-in-a-can-drones/

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I supposed airframes manufactured on demand is an inevitable endpoint to drone warfare.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still want those cartoon tank model kits. I might ask for one for my birthday next month from my mom.

• Options
    I supposed airframes manufactured on demand is an inevitable endpoint to drone warfare.

In Macross dogfights in particular, fights between aces are long, drawn out affairs where each side has to try to land a killing blow on an aircraft that is:

Extremely fast and maneuverable with all the standard IR and Radar countermeasures, including AWACS jamming support at times.
    Equipped with point defense lasers, independent turret controls, and look/lock/shoot fire control systems for guns and missiles.
    Capable of launching support drones which are also fully armed and can function to set drive or hound enemy planes into killzones.

All of this technology is not only being developed, its expected to be deployed within ten years.

• Options
    I fully expect the deliverable prototype manufacturing plant to be nothing but an assembly station where some tech takes one (1) finished drone and attaches two (2) finished AIM-120 missiles and calls it done.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The logistics of these portable factories is interesting. Sticking them on aircraft carriers or permanent air bases makes sense, but if the requirement is the means to churn out about 16 of these drones per 24 hour cycle, that's literal tons and tons of raw material that needs to be supplied. It seems DARPA's idea is that these drones are more or less completely disposable despite carrying at least two AMRAAMs and whatever avionics package is necessary to let them fly and fight semi-autonomously, which seems kind of crazy from a cost standpoint.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    I fully expect the deliverable prototype manufacturing plant to be nothing but an assembly station where some tech takes one (1) finished drone and attaches two (2) finished AIM-120 missiles and calls it done.

I'd imagine that the project brief for this would have a baseline minimum for how much manufacturing is required for it to be considered a manufacturing plant.
    Granted, I'm not military so I can't say for certain, but it seems like the kind of thing that would have occurred to somebody while they were preparing the request.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So, uh, kind of off-topic, but I just found out that the guy who made The Legend of Koizumi did a 25-chapter over-the-top comedic manga retelling of the creation of the original Gundam series called Gundam Sousei. Just thought you guys might be interested:
    m1y1j6kvqdat.jpg
    And some sample pages I found with a quick search:
    byickjbavb3c.jpg
    0qj0q5oq8zdd.png
    5fyflpuv661s.jpg
    Edit, some more pages:
    hjgssllwmnmh.jpg
    ah6ejbebtnt2.jpg
    p92fib8youay.jpg
    Something about portraying the voice actors as looking just like the characters and/or having scenes that parallel famous moments is hilarious to me.
    pe880ys1ua2w.png
    That life-size Gundam statue is real, btw.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That particular life size Gundam is no longer on display... because they're building a life size transforming Unicorn Gundam in its stead.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    That particular life size Gundam is no longer on display... because they're building a life size transforming Unicorn Gundam in its stead.

Boo!

I mean, the Unicorn Gundam is pretty cool, but why not both?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Built

Its already up and transforming

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    so i know it isn't gunpla but I have been 3d printing models for my D&D game. And last night I primed them with gesso so my players can paint them! b71ow60clo9s.jpg

Super happy with how the prints came out and with the primer you can see a lot more definition that wasn't apparent when it was one flat color.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    I have read that "making of" Gundam manga and its just as hilarious as it sounds. :P

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, uh, kind of off-topic, but I just found out that the guy who made The Legend of Koizumi did a 25-chapter over-the-top comedic manga retelling of the creation of the original Gundam series called Gundam Sousei. Just thought you guys might be interested:
    m1y1j6kvqdat.jpg
    And some sample pages I found with a quick search:
    byickjbavb3c.jpg
    0qj0q5oq8zdd.png
    5fyflpuv661s.jpg
    Edit, some more pages:
    hjgssllwmnmh.jpg
    ah6ejbebtnt2.jpg
    p92fib8youay.jpg
    Something about portraying the voice actors as looking just like the characters and/or having scenes that parallel famous moments is hilarious to me.
    pe880ys1ua2w.png
    That life-size Gundam statue is real, btw.

hahaha the story in this about how Ideon was misrepresented to the sponsors during the pitch is hilarious

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    just popping in to say gundam sousei is excellent

also the Universal Unit line is pretty neat

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    The only negative for Assault Kingdom and Universal Unit for me is that they aren't in the general "scale" of MSIA.

But I do like that they seem to be on the smaller side so for kids they'd be perfect as a pocket toy or a travel toy.

Also for my wedding in January my groom's cake will be Gundam themed (SO thought out of the ones I showed examples of the SD RX78, Zaku II head, and Ultraman were fine) and I'm leaning towards a Zaku II head cake.

The wedding topper is going to be one of my MSIA RX78-NT1 "Alex" figures and I'm on the lookout for a small scale bow tie to put on it.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    The only negative for Assault Kingdom and Universal Unit for me is that they aren't in the general "scale" of MSIA.

But I do like that they seem to be on the smaller side so for kids they'd be perfect as a pocket toy or a travel toy.

Also for my wedding in January my groom's cake will be Gundam themed (SO thought out of the ones I showed examples of the SD RX78, Zaku II head, and Ultraman were fine) and I'm leaning towards a Zaku II head cake.

The wedding topper is going to be one of my MSIA RX78-NT1 "Alex" figures and I'm on the lookout for a small scale bow tie to put on it.

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to mold out of sculpey or green stuff.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to mold out of sculpey or green stuff.

What I'm looking at right now is just grabbing a 1/6 scale bow tie and putting it on it. Then afterward it will be easier to remove and I can just throw the bow tie in one of my 1/6 scale item bins.

This discussion has been closed.