As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ducktales 2017

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hulu might also be an option.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I do love Disney's interesting scheduling method of 'build up massive amounts of intrest and fans and then kill it'

They havent adapted very well to their post-tween years. The days of Hannah Montana and Wizards Of Waverly Place gave them a cartoonish amount of profit for basically no effort or cost, but now the tween fad is over and they dont seem to know how to handle making actual shows anymore.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    A friend of mine that's a recovering meth addict described it perfectly to me recently

Disney's TV scheduling basically operates on the same level as a meth user trying to decide which thing needs dusting more.

There's a nearly endless pause, followed by a furious cleaning of a few things, followed by goldfish memory kicking in and back to oh god what do I clean first

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I do love Disney's interesting scheduling method of 'build up massive amounts of intrest and fans and then kill it'

Gravity Falls says hello. :(

Pretty sure Gravity Falls wasn't killed prematurely. It probably could've benefited from a third season, sure. Or even one or two more episodes! But it was ended where it did on purpose with the support of its creators, far as I'm aware. The series ran its course, finished its myth arc, and ended in a pretty satisfying (but not perfect) way. Which is more than be said for a lot of TV shows in general, never mind cartoons.

Unless new information recently came to light showing Disney did kill it prematurely?

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Pretty sure Gravity Falls wasn't killed prematurely. It probably could've benefited from a third season, sure. Or even one or two more episodes! But it was ended where it did on purpose with the support of its creators, far as I'm aware. The series ran its course, finished its myth arc, and ended in a pretty satisfying (but not perfect) way. Which is more than be said for a lot of TV shows in general, never mind cartoons.

Unless new information recently came to light showing Disney did kill it prematurely?

As far as I know, it lasted as long as the show creators wanted it too. They got to finish their story and leave it open for future stories if they wanted to come back to the setting.
    But the scheduling for when the episodes aired was insane. Long periods of nothing, then they'd dump a half dozen episodes in a day or two, then back to months of nothing.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

As far as I know, it lasted as long as the show creators wanted it too. They got to finish their story and leave it open for future stories if they wanted to come back to the setting.
    But the scheduling for when the episodes aired was insane. Long periods of nothing, then they'd dump a half dozen episodes in a day or two, then back to months of nothing.

Welcome to season three of the original Avatar. No channel is immune to dumb scheduling.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular

Oh yes, I'm well aware of the bizarre scheduling. I started watching Gravity Falls when like four episodes had been released total. Supposedly it improves ratings of each individual episode? I don't understand how the heck it works, but Alex Hirsch claimed at some point that he got episodes pushed out early and their ratings were way worse by comparison. So there's some method to the madness, though hell if I can see what it is.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think Disney learned their lesson Star Vs has been relatively consistent with it's releases and they got a group f very in demand actors for DUcktales so they can't really dick around on production or they lose the whole cast to other commitments

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Oh yes, I'm well aware of the bizarre scheduling. I started watching Gravity Falls when like four episodes had been released total. Supposedly it improves ratings of each individual episode? I don't understand how the heck it works, but Alex Hirsch claimed at some point that he got episodes pushed out early and their ratings were way worse by comparison. So there's some method to the madness, though hell if I can see what it is.

Depends on if ratings is a valid end goal. If it's bad or outdated, then strategy built around it will seem random because it is random.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I think Disney learned their lesson Star Vs has been relatively consistent with it's releases and they got a group f very in demand actors for DUcktales so they can't really dick around on production or they lose the whole cast to other commitments

Production isn't the problem with the shows that get insane airing schedules. That all comes out on the other side.

Mr Khan wrote: »

Production isn't the problem with the shows that get insane airing schedules. That all comes out on the other side.

Yeah, it's not uncommon for episodes to be finished looooooooooong before they air.

I'm generally pretty good at sussing out corporate reasons for weird decisions but I'm having trouble figuring out how this is still a thing. Nick had lost confidence with Airbender by season 3 so that was a burnoff move, but supposedly Disney was happy with the performance of Gravity Falls.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, it's not uncommon for episodes to be finished looooooooooong before they air.

I'm generally pretty good at sussing out corporate reasons for weird decisions but I'm having trouble figuring out how this is still a thing. Nick had lost confidence with Airbender by season 3 so that was a burnoff move, but supposedly Disney was happy with the performance of Gravity Falls.

I kinda see why they do it, its to make kids pester their parents to watch the 'new' episode when it comes out, but they do it too far in advance. Peak pestering power is at about 2 weeks of continuous commercials. My son wanted to watch nothing but duck tales for 2 weeks after the premier, now he's bored with it since there is only one episode. So they are relying on ME remembering he liked the show? Sure, I'll tune in for this because it's better than Paw Patrol, but by that logic you could air the show at any time.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

I feel like in the modern era a lot of it has to do with each channel having an app that they want to push. That's certainly behind a lot of Cartoon Network's shenanigans, they figure they can optimize eyeballs by only airing the most popular shows on the actual channel all the time and satiate the fans of other content because it's all there for you to watch on the app if you have the subscription needed to see the channel anyway.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I miss Wander Over Yonder :(

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Didn't Wander have an ending?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

More of a "And the story continues!" kind of deal.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

More of a "And the story continues!" kind of deal.

Yeah, they wrapped up the Dominator arc, rebuilt the galaxy and then Wander and Sylvia bubbled off to continue having adventures and making friends.
    It was a good end to a fun show that I'm glad I started watching.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wander was intended to have another season to cover the origin of Hater.

Incenjucar wrote: »

I assumed it involved hot topic, rat fink, Heavy metal comics and metallica

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I assumed it involved hot topic, rat fink, Heavy metal comics and metallica

Something something Monkeyboy.

Lil' Bulb for best new character?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I don't know, the librarian was pretty awesome too.
    Also that ending with Gyro seemed to be him getting the idea for Gizmoduck, but it seemed like he has evil plans for it. Not sure I like this iteration of Gyro having an evil genius vibe.

LostNinja wrote: »

I don't know, the librarian was pretty awesome too.
    Also that ending with Gyro seemed to be him getting the idea for Gizmoduck, but it seemed like he has evil plans for it. Not sure I like this iteration of Gyro having an evil genius vibe.

I think it's more well intentioned but arrogant

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Gyro was almost always a kindly, workaholic pushover with miracle powers that got himself into moderate amounts of trouble but didn't have much variety in his stories. I like him having a little more bite.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Can we talk about how in Webby's room she has a doll of the original Webby.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how in Webby's room she has a doll of the original Webby.

Technically, it's the original Webby's doll.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mvrck wrote: »
    My favorite bit is when launchpad started reminiscing about family and then went "Oh no the ground!"

EDIT: oh God, I kinda forgot Launchpads whole thing is that he can pilot anything and crash everything

He will keep you in the air/afloat until you get to exactly where you need to be going...and then you will crash.

More so, he will fly things that have no business of flying for days...until you get where you need to be.

Every flying object is basically his very own tardis

Edit: long beaten!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Wait there were new episodes? Or are people just talking about random clips?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    One double-ep hour today I think.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    There were two new episodes yesterday. And oh man, both of them were excellent.

Penumbra on
    Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    I think June Foray use to do Ma Beagle but Famous Character Actor Margo Martindale is pretty dang great too

edited September 2017
    I like how they referenced Lillehammer at the board meeting because Don Rosa did a comic set there for the Winter Olympics of 1994. Also a Plain Awful callback.

I hope they also mention Finland at some point because Don Rosa's Kalevala-based story is fantastic, even for him.

Can't wait for more.

Absalon on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The scene with Beakly basically watching a Donald Duck cartoon through the window is just the best.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The scene with Beakly basically watching a Donald Duck cartoon through the window is just the best.

Yeah I absolutely loved that. It felt so true to the character and I couldn't stop grinning.

steam_sig.png
    Penumbra wrote: »
    There were two new episodes yesterday. And oh man, both of them were excellent.

Time to try and find them, then! Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I found them. Those were some great episodes. I like that the nephews seem to genuinely try to be understanding of Webby's social maladjustments (and I'm side-eyeing Beakley a bit for it). Dewey and Webby in particular seem like they will be the most common partners in crime in the new series.

New Gyro is weird. Kind of Spark-y. Not sure if I'm a fan. The Beagles continue to be amusing.

So we've got Webby focus, Louie focus, and partial Dewey focus. Huey should probably be next, right?

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Louie is definitely the evil triplet :P

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden