As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

DukiDuki Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is some awfully sad news.
AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I
expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should
be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as
will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.
I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I
would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

I'm glad he's keeping optimistic about it, and am more than glad for him that it was discovered relatively early giving him time to sort out his estate and what not. I've heard from more than a few people that having the time to mentally prepare for the side effects of the disease goes a long way to help in coping with it. Also mildly comforting is that he says that he will still write a few books, which is nice.

Ultimately though, this is sad, sad news and he's even relatively young too (59) :(

Basically just wanted to put the news out there, since I know quite a few fans of his go on these boards, but I guess we can just make this into a general Discworld thread since we haven't had one in ages, although talking about Discworld seems kind of hollow now.

Anyway, basically...

metalgearsolid3bigbosssqf1.jpg

Duki on

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am seriously bummed out at this news. I wish him well and I hope he's writing discworld and other things well into his 80's.

Aridhol on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Senjutsu on
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This seriously ruined my weekend. I mean, I know he wants us to be optimistic and stuff but...

...fuck. Well, I've been looking forward to Nation for a while now so...at least I'll get that. And possibly the final Rincewind novel. Thats the only silver lining I can find.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was bad enough when Vonnegut died in April, now this.

Tam on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. I knew it had to end someday, but why does it have to be so soon?

I feel really bad for him.

Hm. I'd like a final book for a bunch of characters, really. It doesn't really have to be finalfinal, like they all die or something, since the idea behind Discworld was for it to sort of just carry on even when you stop reading (which sounds massively lame, but it's true, it's one of the most complete fictional worlds ever). Watch, Death, Wizards and Rincewind and the Witches. And, hell, Moist as well, which I think is still on track to be his next book.

But then again, no one should pressure him into writing anything really. With today's medicine though, and with all the money he has, he could potentially still live with a lot of his faculties for a while yet, a decade even.

I dunno. Maybe there's going to be a huge breakthrough in stem cell research or something :(

Damn it, I love these books far too much.

Duki on
    edited December 2007
    From what I understand, Raising Taxes(next Moist book) will be preceded by Unseen Academicals. I believe Raising Taxes will also be the predecessor to Nation as the Moist books seem to be a way of dynamically progressing Vetinari's vision of Ankh-Morpork.
    The last three books seem to be pushing towards some ultimate goal (possibly The Undertaking) as in Vetinari gains control of clacks in Going Postal, gains a Device in Thud! and now control of the banking system in Making Money.
    It pays to have the best conman and best Watchmen working for you.

CrimsonKing on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Man. There goes my evening. *sigh*

Aroduc on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Really really sad news. There is really no telling how the disease will progress, as it varies so much.

Neaden on
    edited December 2007
    Well he averages a book a year so, a good estimate would be ten more novels given the estimate of a decade.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

I think I am going to cry.

CrimsonKing on
    edited December 2007
    From what I understand, Raising Taxes(next Moist book) will be preceded by Unseen Academicals. I believe Raising Taxes will also be the predecessor to Nation as the Moist books seem to be a way of dynamically progressing Vetinari's vision of Ankh-Morpork.
    The last three books seem to be pushing towards some ultimate goal (possibly The Undertaking) as in Vetinari gains control of clacks in Going Postal, gains a Device in Thud! and now control of the banking system in Making Money.
    It pays to have the best conman and best Watchmen working for you.

Agree totally with the transformation stuff, it really is seeming like everything is moving to an ultimate goal (basically, industrialisation or something).

Wikipedia seems to list the next novel after Nation as I Shall Wear Midnight, the next Tiffany Aching novel. After that is Raising Taxes. No mention of Unseen Academicals. So who knows. I suppose the next Tiffany Aching one could act as a final book for both Tiffany (which it was always meant to be, as far as I could gather) as well as the actual witches... but that just makes me even more sad because dammit they deserve their own books.

Of course, all of this is up in the air now. This sucks sooooo much.

edit: Yeah, Alzheimer's can be a real cunt real fast, or it can be slow and relatively manageable. I'm just hoping and praying for the latter :(

Poor, poor Mr. Pratchett.

Duki on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    stem cell research go!

ege02 on
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. Everyone who is American vote Democrat plz.

Duki on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Boo Alzheimer's boo.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fuck.

shryke on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this because Alzheimer's is not funny in the slightest.

But who is Terry Pratchett?

Shogun on
  • FizicsFizics Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    HELLO TERRY

Ah, I've been expecting you, do we have time for tea?

FOR YOU THERE IS NO MORE TEA, THE TIME FOR TEA IS PAST

Whiskey then?

LET'S GO

Fizics on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this because Alzheimer's is not funny in the slightest.

Author of the Discworld series.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Also, Good Omens. Basically one of the best and most popular humorists alive.

Aroduc on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    arr

where do you guys recommend starting on the discworld series? this reminds me that i have a lot of (supposedly) damn fine reading to do.

i hear guards! guards! is a good starting point. i'm looking at the flowchart for the series right now.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Author of the Discworld series.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Also, Good Omens. Basically one of the best and most popular humorists alive.

Wow lot of books. I have never heard of Discworld however I will put some of these on the Christmas list and check them out.

Shogun on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    arr

where do you guys recommend starting on the discworld series? this reminds me that i have a lot of (supposedly) damn fine reading to do.

i hear guards! guards! is a good starting point. i'm looking at the flowchart for the series right now.

Small Gods. Standalone and excellent. Mort and Guards Guards are also good starting spots. The first three books are... not the best... to put it mildly.

Aroduc on
    edited December 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    arr

Small Gods. Standalone and excellent. Mort and Guards Guards are also good starting spots. The first three books are... not the best... to put it mildly.

Completely right.

And if Irond Will ever tries talking to you about Discworld just put your hands over your ears and maybe the bad man will go away.

Duki on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

*stealthily reaches for banhammer*

we don't lahk yer type here, son

but yeah, well worth a read. Maybe best to start with Small Gods or Guards! Guards! rather than his earliest stuff though, it took him a few books to settle in to form.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is very sad news, but I hope he manages to hang in there for a good while longer yet.

Personally, I've always loved the Witches books, particularly the Fairy Godmother book where they go to Genua. There's something absolutely lovely about the way Granny Weatherwax goes through life terrifying everyone and everything she meets.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited December 2007
    "The Colour of Magic", which is the very first Diskworld book btw, is a great place to start.

shryke on
    edited December 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    This is very sad news, but I hope he manages to hang in there for a good while longer yet.

Personally, I've always loved the Witches books, particularly the Fairy Godmother book where they go to Genua. There's something absolutely lovely about the way Granny Weatherwax goes through life terrifying everyone and everything she meets.

Yeah, that's my favourite Witch book too.

And I dunno about Colour of Magic: it's tone is pretty much straight parody the whole way through. A lot of it depends on how familiar you are with cliches in the fantasy genre, especially in the shlocky boom it underwent in the 1980s. It is very funny though, or was when I first read it, but it's simplistic and not as good as his later books.

It is still worth reading though. Which is a bonus point for reading it first, as alter you might be scared away by it because it's so different. Up to you, really.

Duki on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    "The Colour of Magic", which is the very first Diskworld book btw, is a great place to start.
    Not sure I'd agree with that. The first books haven't aged too well, and I've seen people get turned off by the series when they read them first.

Glal on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh...... this is sad news indeed. I read the Watch books almost twice a year. It was funny, I went from being a fan of Rincewind, then the Witches but now im a rabid fan of Vimes and Vetinari. What was that talk of
    The Undertaking?
    on the previous pages? Have I missed something other than Vetinari being the coolest tyrant ever? That being said, I found "Going Postal" to be pretty lame.... something about the pacing put me off. Still highly enjoyable, but not my favourite discworld novel.

Edit: Oh, doing some author research, i have discovered that one author i thought had dissappeared off the face of the earth, Isobelle Carmody(sp?), is releasing a book early feb. So there is joy in my readingscape, but a terrible sadness too....

joshua1 on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree with that. The first books haven't aged too well, and I've seen people get turned off by the series when they read them first.

Clarification: While great stories in their own right, the first two books aren't the same thing as the rest of the series. They won't really set you up for the Disc like a later Watch or Witches or the fuck Making Money came out and no one told me I will kill you all.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited December 2007

Read Making Money, the new Moist book. or read Going Postal if you haven't (some great Vetinari stuff in there).

And yeah, Making Money is out. Pretty dang good too, although certain feline member of the forum found it disappointing.

They are wrong do not listen to them.

Duki on
    edited December 2007

How do they age at all? Their nothing but send ups of fantasy tropes.

shryke on
    edited December 2007
    Anne McCaffrey jokes are like, soooo 1994 :P

also, well jumping the gun given how ridiculous her works of the last few years have been...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    She's still writing? She's ancient.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited December 2007
    they're all collaborations, which makes me suspect 'current B-list author visiting her and mining her brain' :P

which has resulted in five books about humanoid unicorns saving the galaxy. I'm not even joking.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You own all those books, don't you Cat.

Shinto on
    edited December 2007
    >.>

man, its one of the many reasons I'm glad of the public library system. I can read all sorts of horrible tripe and nobody will ever know.

except the internet... D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And the librarian checking them out.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    they're all collaborations, which makes me suspect 'current B-list author visiting her and mining her brain' :P

which has resulted in five books about humanoid unicorns saving the galaxy. I'm not even joking.

So she's still a 10 year old girly girl writing fantasy?

PS - Dragons =/= Ponies!

shryke on
    edited December 2007
    >.>

man, its one of the many reasons I'm glad of the public library system. I can read all sorts of horrible tripe and nobody will ever know.

except the internet... D:

He's right about the librarians. We judge you.

And if you use self-issue machines we just distrust you because we know the reason you're doing so is so we don't see what you're getting out.

It's terrible, but it's true.

Also, whenever an old lady returns or gets out around 20 "sexy" category Mills & Boom romance novels, I cringe and hope to God they're not wet when i handle them.

Duki on
    edited December 2007

So she's still a 10 year old girly girl writing fantasy?

PS - Dragons =/= Ponies!

Damnit, the Dragon books were actually really cool. And a couple of other of her trilogies, although she completely loses the ability to write anything but a tale that will obviously end happily :P the unicorns were shit, though.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, fuck this. Pratchett is my favourite author, bar none. I got every book since The Last Continent in hardcover, every other in paperback. When I have my bouts of depression I carry a Discworld book around everywhere I go as extra anxiety medicine. Without him I would not have made it through High School or University, I would have cracked up completly.

I have to say that part of me is in the grief mode already, First trying to deny it to myself, then trying to bargaing that the OP is a Cockwad that will be banned for making false threads. But Life is never that fair and this is real isn't it?

Fuck, why do the good ones get taken out so early and the bad ones are allowed to keep churning out shit. First David Gemmel, Now Pratchett.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK YOU ALZHEIMERS

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.