As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ducktales 2017

• MillMill Registered User regular
    So does Disney have plans to make these available on youtube or Hulu at some point?

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    So does Disney have plans to make these available on youtube or Hulu at some point?

Given that they're busy creating their own streaming service and even pulling their stuff from Netflix, I'd doubt it.

sig.gif
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Some of the things on the Disney XD app don't require a cable login so you could try there.

Edit: never mind, I checked and it required a sign in.

LostNinja on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I like how they referenced Lillehammer at the board meeting because Don Rosa did a comic set there for the Winter Olympics of 1994. Also a Plain Awful callback.

I hope they also reference Finland at some point because Don Rosa's Kalevala-based story is fantastic, even for him.

Posts like this make me realize that I'm only understanding half the show as I watch it because I never got into the comic.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I like how they referenced Lillehammer at the board meeting because Don Rosa did a comic set there for the Winter Olympics of 1994. Also a Plain Awful callback.

I hope they also reference Finland at some point because Don Rosa's Kalevala-based story is fantastic, even for him.

Posts like this make me realize that I'm only understanding half the show as I watch it because I never got into the comic.

Well really, it's your own fault for not having memorized a 20-year old comic like the rest of us

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I didn't know that there's a group of people who don't like the Comics being mixed up with the TV show. Saw a picture of a sign at a convention passive aggressively trying to get people to not call the comics "Duck Tails".

But of course there would be.

Sadgasm wrote: »

Well really, it's your own fault for not having memorized a 20-year old comic like the rest of us

In my defense, the Duck Tales comics didn't have nearly enough pouches to satisfy the needs of See317 20 some odd years ago.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    When Louie
    Used the decoy dime in the soda machine

I was screaming at my TV.

Also
    "Do you know how many vengeance curses I have on my head!?" Is a delightful Scrooge line.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I guess we will be getting
    Magica De Spell

at some point, then.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Magica De Spell

at some point, then.
    Given her accent, I am expecting the reveal of the Archivist being Magica

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    When Louie

Also
    "Do you know how many vengeance curses I have on my head!?" Is a delightful Scrooge line.

On that point from the dime episode:
    it made no sense. The machine costs $1.10, why would he suddenly feel the need to put just 10 cents in there?

Matev wrote: »
    When Louie

Also

On that point from the dime episode:
    it made no sense. The machine costs $1.10, why would he suddenly feel the need to put just 10 cents in there?
    I assumed he also had a dollar he was going to put in the machine to get a soda, but since he had the dime in hand, the dime went in first.
    Then he remembered that it was supposed to be a special dime.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So. When's the next episode?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Next Saturday

edited September 2017
    Looks to be Saturday.
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Magica De Spell
    at some point, then.
    Given her accent, I am expecting the reveal of the Archivist being Magica
    Interesting thing learned while falling down a wiki hole...
    The librarian was introduced in the same story that introduced Magiac de Spell.
    May not mean anything, but given the number of references to the comics and old Ducktales the series has used so far, it wouldn't be terribly surprising if it was a hint.

see317 on
    Librarian:
    It's an interesting theory, but I really hope she doesn't end up being Magica. I like her as just being a hilariously zealous protector of Clan McDuck's secrets. spoiler]

LostNinja wrote: »
    Librarian:
    It's an interesting theory, but I really hope she doesn't end up being Magica. I like her as just being a hilariously zealous protector of Clan McDuck's secrets.
    Definitely agree. Just thought it was a fun thought, hopefully just misconnecting completely unrelated dots.

The thought that Scrooge has spent decades collecting and employing an army of loons in order to prevent them from becoming enemies in the future definitely appeals to me more than seeing one (or more) said loons actually turn on him.

Librarian:
    It's an interesting theory, but I really hope she doesn't end up being Magica. I like her as just being a hilariously zealous protector of Clan McDuck's secrets.
    Definitely agree. Just thought it was a fun thought, hopefully just misconnecting completely unrelated dots.

The thought that Scrooge has spent decades collecting and employing an army of loons in order to prevent them from becoming enemies in the future definitely appeals to me more than seeing one (or more) said loons actually turn on him.

I love that this is how he sold the board on keeping the money bin.

Librarian:

I love that this is how he sold the board on keeping the money bin.

Yeah, in the comics they just sort of handwave how all the money in the Bin is the stuff he earned personally with his own two hands. By the time of The Empire Builder of Callisota, it had been abandoned and locked up for almost 10 years. Seriously, he just left all that money lying in there. Good luck trying to justify that to the board.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Librarian:

Do you mean loons as in the waterfowl, or as in crazy people (animals)?

I really have to find a way to watch these new episodes, I really liked the first episode. I guess I don't have Disney XD as part of my cable service? Makes me wonder why it let me watch the Descendants movies on my phone then.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Librarian:

I really have to find a way to watch these new episodes, I really liked the first episode. I guess I don't have Disney XD as part of my cable service? Makes me wonder why it let me watch the Descendants movies on my phone then.

I meant loons as in crazy animal people. But I suppose it could work both ways, but I don't think McDuck would be racist like that.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Librarian:

I meant loons as in crazy animal people. But I suppose it could work both ways, but I don't think McDuck would be racist like that.

I thought that's what you meant, but in a world with anthropomorphic ducks and dogs (at the very least) I felt it was a valid question.

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I fucking love Webby in the new series.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I fucking love Webby in the new series.

She's basically the Disney version of Sousuke Sagara, really.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I really appreciated the "Ottoman Empire" joke.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    ...Oh dammit I just got a stealth pun from the second episode.
    Webby's "character" lost men in Peking.

They'd be Peking ducks.

Edit: also Gyro's list pointed out that the Time Tub was a failure. Yup, that invention/movie sure was.

Mx. Quill on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I really appreciated the "Ottoman Empire" joke.

Yeah, I enjoy watching that sort of show, so their riff on it was amusing. It's good to see them work in that sort of pop culture reference deftly, and I'm looking forward to how they introduce Mark (the tech billionaire character they've promoed.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I didn't know that there's a group of people who don't like the Comics being mixed up with the TV show. Saw a picture of a sign at a convention passive aggressively trying to get people to not call the comics "Duck Tails".

I love the original DuckTales cartoon (I haven't watched the new one yet; my only option currently is pirating), and adore the comics, but the stuff drawn by e.g., Barks or Rosa or Rota or Vicar or… are not DuckTales comics, but Duck comics (or as we call them here, Donald comics). They are quite distinct (e.g., no Launchpad). There were also actual DuckTales comics, but they were rather short-lived.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

They'd be Peking ducks.

Edit: also Gyro's list pointed out that the Time Tub was a failure. Yup, that invention/movie sure was.
    The time tub's actually an OG Duck Tales callback.

gyro-walking-bath-tv-1987-x640.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

They'd be Peking ducks.

The time tub's actually an OG Duck Tales callback.

gyro-walking-bath-tv-1987-x640.jpg

Ahh, was thinking of the bad Bubba Duck one, then.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nobody got the Dr.Who reference? It was a Capaldi one not Tennent though so its easy to miss

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

I love the original DuckTales cartoon (I haven't watched the new one yet; my only option currently is pirating), and adore the comics, but the stuff drawn by e.g., Barks or Rosa or Rota or Vicar or… are not DuckTales comics, but Duck comics (or as we call them here, Donald comics). They are quite distinct (e.g., no Launchpad). There were also actual DuckTales comics, but they were rather short-lived.

The new series is a mix between the original series and the Barks/Rosa comics. It's a duck love letter.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    My 4 (and 3 quarters....this is important) year old daughter loves this. However, I live in the land of tea, crumpets (and more specifically, the city of Harry Potter; I bought Butter bear the other day, then took my family for a walk around the local palace); am I right in thinking that there isn't an option for me to watch this in the UK?

PSN Fleety2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    My 4 (and 3 quarters....this is important) year old daughter loves this. However, I live in the land of tea, crumpets (and more specifically, the city of Harry Potter; I bought Butter bear the other day, then took my family for a walk around the local palace); am I right in thinking that there isn't an option for me to watch this in the UK?

Check iTunes/Google Play/Amazon Video. I went ahead and bought the season pass on Amazon ($20 SD/$30 HD).

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Dunder wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I loved how Launchpad knew Swedish.

Or that the snake venom made him speak Swedish, which is actually even more hilarious.

It's an inside gag - for some reason, the Swedes are duck crazy, and have been one of the biggest fans of Donald Duck comics for decades.

This is true. in Sweden the defining Disney character is Donald Duck, not Mickey Mouse. Why this is I don't know. My guess is amore expansive world/more supporting characters led to more comic stories being written and thus made DD the most common figure.

I think that holds true for most european countries.

Mickey, to us, is an annoying mary-sue with an even more annoying voice.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

The new series is a mix between the original series and the Barks/Rosa comics. It's a duck love letter.

So I hear, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

(Incidentally, I read in an interview that Rosa hated the original DuckTales for not being true to Barks' characters. I'm not nearly as purist as he is.)

Also, be sure the check out Fantagraphics' excellent hardcover reprint of all (yes, all) the original Barks and Rosa comics in the original English. The series are not complete yet, but are still being printed (next volume is out in October).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Dunder wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I loved how Launchpad knew Swedish.

Or that the snake venom made him speak Swedish, which is actually even more hilarious.

It's an inside gag - for some reason, the Swedes are duck crazy, and have been one of the biggest fans of Donald Duck comics for decades.

This is true. in Sweden the defining Disney character is Donald Duck, not Mickey Mouse. Why this is I don't know. My guess is amore expansive world/more supporting characters led to more comic stories being written and thus made DD the most common figure.

I think that holds true for most european countries.

Mickey, to us, is an annoying mary-sue with an even more annoying voice.

Eh, I like Mickey enough, as a Spaniard. But yes, Donald and Goofy always were more popular around here.

Though Mickey had some pretty neat detective and adventure comics!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mickey was kind of a mix of Donald,Goofy and Bugs bunny. Slowly he lost all those traits to other characters and became kind of a blank slate. Disney has made efforts to restore him in recent years. The mickey shorts from 2013 are excellent

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Nobody got the Dr.Who reference? It was a Capaldi one not Tennent though so its easy to miss

You can't just say that and then not post what it is! (In spoilers of course).

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Is there a reason why the US never got into the comics? Disney not bothering to market? Or Europe having a more vibrant comic scene (I know Asterix, Tintin etc being popular there)? I really wish I’d gotten to read these as a kid.