As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Easy to learn Multiplayer Games for trip.

RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Sorry my title is stupid, but I tried to be descriptive. I'm looking for some relatively simple, easy to learn, preferably turned based games for PC that I could play on a long flight I have coming up. I'm going with my female friend who doesn't really do much gaming, though she's been known to enjoy 2D platformers from time to time (Yoshi's Island I think was one of her favorites, more than likely because she thinks Yoshi is cuuuuute).

Anyway, (legally) free/downloadable PC games are preferable but I'd go out and spend a few bucks for bargain games. It's about a 12 hour trip, so I'd like to have a few.

Remington on

• SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Remington wrote: »
    Sorry my title is stupid, but I tried to be descriptive. I'm looking for some relatively simple, easy to learn, preferably turned based games that I could play on a long flight I have coming up. I'm going with my female friend who doesn't really do much gaming, though she's been known to enjoy 2D platformers from time to time (Yoshi's Island I think was one of her favorites, more than likely because she thinks Yoshi is cuuuuute).

Anyway, (legally) free/downloadable games are preferable but I'd go out and spend a few bucks for bargain games. It's about a 12 hour trip, so I'd like to have a few.

What consoles can we choose from/not choose from?

Smashism on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, it's a flight, so we're talking laptop here. Sorry.

Remington on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you can get a LAN going between your two computers, you can try something like Age of Empires 2, which is easy to pick up and learn, will run on almost anything, and lets you either work together or fight.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2007
    We only have the one laptop. I do have a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic, though, which should eat up a large chunk of time.

Remington on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We only have the one laptop. I do have a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic, though, which should eat up a large chunk of time.

2 player PC games on one screen, do they exist?

Smashism on
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. Things like Worms, or top down shooters or... you know... I was kinda hoping or some suggestions. :|

Remington on
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jones in the Fast Lane!

I mean, nuff' said!

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
    edited December 2007
    Oh man. Board games for PC. Now you're thinkin.

Remington on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Liero Xtreme maybe?
    Violence is not exactly on the cute side of things, but its pretty easy to pick up and play.

I think there might be a more polished clone of Liero out there, not sure though.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How about Risk or Axis & Allies. Both should be in the bargain bin. If you think she might prefer some arcadey type game, try "Star Control 2: Urquan Masters" Super Melee mode. You play vs. each other, you can both use keyboard or you can plug in a game controller. http://sc2.sourceforge.net

Actually you should download Star Control 2 anyway and play the single player game.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh shit, Jones in the Fast lane definitely, worms is good too. Good job guys.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always used to pump mine full of old nintendo games. Unfortunately I can't tell you how, but a google search should make it plenty obvious.

Dark_Side on
    edited December 2007
    So, in an attempt to avoid that last post, is Jones in the Fast Lane free or is that a bargain title?

Remington on
    edited December 2007
    So, in an attempt to avoid that last post, is Jones in the Fast Lane free or is that a bargain title?

I'm not exactly sure. I have my original copy (CD is sitting in my entertainment center's drawer for some reason...), think I have a floppy version somewhere too, but I thought I saw something a while ago about sierra making it free. Let me look into it.

Edit: Seems I'm wrong :(

"Since this game is copyrighted by an ESA member (former the IDSA), or its subsidiary thereof, we are not permitted to distribute it due to the ESA notice. Please contact the company directly to either sell it to you, release it into the public domain, or give us the permission to distribute"

Edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Y7JMIXvVw Gotta love that intro song! midi ftw. Too bad it doesn't have the voice actors in it though, they make the game!

PaperPlate on
    edited December 2007
    Damn, so there's no way I'm getting this, huh? That game looks fucking great.

Remington on
    edited December 2007
    Ebay would work. There are 3 copies up there now at the moment. Though, I'm guessing you need this sooner than later.

PaperPlate on
  • cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You Don't Know Jack.

You're gonna get some strange looks from the other passengers.

cocheseisdead on
    edited December 2007
    PaperPlate wrote: »
    Ebay would work. There are 3 copies up there now at the moment. Though, I'm guessing you need this sooner than later.

Yeah, I'm heading out on Saturday.

Remington on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Liero Xtreme maybe?
    Violence is not exactly on the cute side of things, but its pretty easy to pick up and play.

I think there might be a more polished clone of Liero out there, not sure though.

Nono, don't do this, Liero Xtreme is awful

Get the original Liero, it's much, much better, http://liero.be/

Lemming on
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Civilization would last the entire trip... but it may be too complex for your friend. If she's open to learning, it's a fun game to really sink your teeth into.

Otherwise all of the Worms game (except the 3D ones) would be great.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
    edited December 2007
    That Liero seems like it could be a fun little diversion. I might have to get my PS2 to USB converter out so I can use my controller for one of the worms.

I might pick up civilization as well. I've never played any of the civ games, though, are they much like Heroes of Might and Magic?

Remington on
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That Liero seems like it could be a fun little diversion. I might have to get my PS2 to USB converter out so I can use my controller for one of the worms.

I might pick up civilization as well. I've never played any of the civ games, though, are they much like Heroes of Might and Magic?

Not really; there's a lot more depth to them, and combat is really light (there's no grid-system, abilities or spells). The focus is more on large-scale things, like how your economy is doing, how your people are doing, controlling multiple cities, trading with allies, etc... It's slower than Heroes, while also being immensely more thought-provoking and complex.

If that sounds great for you two, then it should really last the entire trip. If not (which I suspect is the case), Heroes will probably be a better fit in terms of turn-based strategy.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
    edited December 2007
    Well, I'll definitely give it a shot, ragardless.

Remington on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's not turn based, but mduel is totally sweet. It's hard to explain how it is without the words "DOS based Super Smash Bros.", because that's basically what it is.

http://mduel2k5.spadgos.com/mduel96/

Dehumanized on
    edited December 2007
    Sweet Jesus. Now this is the type of stuff I'm talking about.

P.S. I found a free version of Civilization. It's apparently a knockoff version. Should I get it or are those bad?

Remington on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Depends on what Civ clone it is. After doing a bit of poking around, Freeciv looks like it might be decent, but there are plenty of bad clones out there as well.

Also, I highly recommend Civ II as the game to get from that series. This isn't to say the rest are bad, but Civ II is fantastic.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited December 2007
    OKay. I more meant if I should be talking about them on the forums.

Remington on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You Don't Know Jack.

You're gonna get some strange looks from the other passengers.

Just get a pair of earbuds and each wear a piece.

zanetheinsane on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have they made a new YDKJ? Beyond the web version?

Goose! on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, I might add -- it's not multiplayer by default, but Desktop Tower Defense 1.5 would probably be fun if you traded off turns or built your base as a collaborative activity.

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/

Dehumanized on