As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The MMO Information Station: Help for Prospective Players

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Yeah, Guild Wars 2 sounds like the perfect game. It's free-to-play with only the expansion content requiring a (one-time) purchase, and there should be plenty for a kid to do. It has a relatively low number of buttons to press, with about 16 or so. The thing is that you can only use like 8-10 of those at a time, (and can switch weapons to access the rest) so it keeps things simpler. There's less focus on group content and more on exploring each zone, with checklists for finding all the areas of interest, jumping puzzles, quests, and so forth. And you get a box of loot whenever you do so.

The attacks can get quite complex with the combo system, but for a solo player she shouldn't need that. There's always one button to spam. If there is a downside, it's that you can't outlevel zones (it'll scale you down to the zone's cap) so you can't just play her character for a few levels and let her storm through lowbie stuff.

@Ranlin not being able to play her character for her and instead being limited to playing something like a Guardian as a support for the daughter, needing to sometimes run over an revive her when she gets downed until she gets a better grasp of mechanics and runs over to revive Ranlin when Ranlin gets downed feels like a decent allegory for parenting though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I hate entering the funk of feeling like there are no games I want to play. I've been trying to get back into Black Desert because I really love the combat (and I love being Guts from Berserk as my warrior) but I think I had the last straw as I failed to enhance my Greatsword from II to III w/ 55 failstacks.

Ugh here is hoping for a game to come out with the casual mindset of WoW with the combat system of Black Desert

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, Guild Wars 2 sounds like the perfect game. It's free-to-play with only the expansion content requiring a (one-time) purchase, and there should be plenty for a kid to do. It has a relatively low number of buttons to press, with about 16 or so. The thing is that you can only use like 8-10 of those at a time, (and can switch weapons to access the rest) so it keeps things simpler. There's less focus on group content and more on exploring each zone, with checklists for finding all the areas of interest, jumping puzzles, quests, and so forth. And you get a box of loot whenever you do so.

The attacks can get quite complex with the combo system, but for a solo player she shouldn't need that. There's always one button to spam. If there is a downside, it's that you can't outlevel zones (it'll scale you down to the zone's cap) so you can't just play her character for a few levels and let her storm through lowbie stuff.

I finally got around to trying it out today, and GW2 seems pretty neat so far. I mean, I've barely scratched the game but I like enough of what I saw to show her and see what she thinks.

The plant people are pretty neat looking. I really like the hair options for them.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

I finally got around to trying it out today, and GW2 seems pretty neat so far. I mean, I've barely scratched the game but I like enough of what I saw to show her and see what she thinks.

The plant people are pretty neat looking. I really like the hair options for them.

GW2 has beautiful character models and armor models. It is a joy to dress your character and just admire the way she looks.

And most of the endgame is collecting crazy new weapon models and clothing, so ArenaNet knows whats what.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    I hate entering the funk of feeling like there are no games I want to play. I've been trying to get back into Black Desert because I really love the combat (and I love being Guts from Berserk as my warrior) but I think I had the last straw as I failed to enhance my Greatsword from II to III w/ 55 failstacks.

Ugh here is hoping for a game to come out with the casual mindset of WoW with the combat system of Black Desert

You and me both, pal.

I have three MMOs installed and LoL and I just can't get into any of them. It's like I have no attention span when it comes to games anymore.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have a weird hankering to play a MUD. Do any good ones still exist? I played Gemstone 3 a lot back in the day (on fucking Prodigy of all things).

No idea where this is coming from.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I have a weird hankering to play a MUD. Do any good ones still exist? I played Gemstone 3 a lot back in the day (on fucking Prodigy of all things).

No idea where this is coming from.

I don't know of any good modern MUD's, but your mention of Prodigy just made me have a flashback and remember my love for fucking MadMaze...and I found a freaking working HTML-based replica playable in-browser here.

I'm 10 years old again!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Hmm. So we tried GW2 a bit, myself more than my daughter. She took to the ranger gameplay just fine, but it did become readily apparent that the presentation of information was far more confusing for her, particularly figuring where a quest actually takes place / what to do there on screen. It's nice not having to trudge over to a ! and pick up a quest, but it also seems difficult to tell where some of the quests/world events are actually taking place on the minimap when you get near one.

Compounding that problem is the fact that credit isn't shared with group members evidently? So she has to be sure to tag / click everything herself, which slows the process way down. I don't suppose that is something with a settings toggle hiding anywhere is it? :(

Other than that it seemed pretty good, though we've still only experienced the first handful of levels. I got to 15? I think, she didn't last to 5 our first night. She took a liking to the little race, though.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hmm. So we tried GW2 a bit, myself more than my daughter. She took to the ranger gameplay just fine, but it did become readily apparent that the presentation of information was far more confusing for her, particularly figuring where a quest actually takes place / what to do there on screen. It's nice not having to trudge over to a ! and pick up a quest, but it also seems difficult to tell where some of the quests/world events are actually taking place on the minimap when you get near one.

Compounding that problem is the fact that credit isn't shared with group members evidently? So she has to be sure to tag / click everything herself, which slows the process way down. I don't suppose that is something with a settings toggle hiding anywhere is it? :(

Other than that it seemed pretty good, though we've still only experienced the first handful of levels. I got to 15? I think, she didn't last to 5 our first night. She took a liking to the little race, though.

GW2 uses heavy instancing though in a different manner than WoW does. Most things you can click on are instanced for each player. This includes things like resource nodes (hence in some zones you'll see people calling out spawns of rare nodes like Orichalcum ore or ancient wood, something you wouldn't see in most MMOs) and many event related objects though not all of them. Everyone interacting with doohickies is key even if grouped. Instanced story quests are another matter entirely of course.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

That's how renown hearts work, but those are only a very tiny portion of the game. You will both get full credit for anything you tag, but if the heart requires non-combat stuff like clicking on items, etc, that is individual. For events (which are the vast majority of the PvE content in the game), credit is shared between literally everyone who shows up. Look for orange circles on the map or other orange indicators to find events. Anyone can show up and help, and everyone who participates at all will get credit (although there are 3 levels of partcipation, bronze/silver/gold, but getting gold is trivial unless you show up at the last minute). Hearts are a one-time thing (except in some end-game zones with repeatable hearts), so you'll spend most of your time doing events rather than hearts. Bonus: if an event takes places near a heart it will almost always give you heart credit also, so definitely be on the lookout for these. Also if there's a dumb heart you don't want to do just skip it. It's not a linear thing and you can always come back later. Your level will always scale down to whatever zone you're in, so it'll stay relevant-ish. Just make sure to grab nearby waypoints so you can get back anywhere you've been quickly.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've went and done a fall update on the OP. If there's any incorrect or missing information then let me know.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think the 18 hours to reach the latest expac of FFXIV should be changed to 30-40 hours. If no one else chimes in with actual facts and/or figures I would put it at 40 hrs in the OP.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Dust 514 is dead as of May of last year and thus can be removed from the description of EVE Online.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I think the 18 hours to reach the latest expac of FFXIV should be changed to 30-40 hours. If no one else chimes in with actual facts and/or figures I would put it at 40 hrs in the OP.

It's hard to say, you'd need to find someone who'd done it recently and all at once.

It's probably a good rough estimate though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've went and done a fall update on the OP. If there's any incorrect or missing information then let me know.

While The Secret World is technically still aliven the game is not going to receive any further content updates, and I'm not even sure that new accounts can be made for it. (If they can, it's going to be using already purchased digital codes or a physical copy of the game, because it's no longer for sale from any online retailers.)

The game has been relaunched as Secret World Legends, and I have made a thread for it in G&T, since it has been re-branded as "a shared-world action RPG."

DarkPrimus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    In a weird turn of events as far as I'm concerned, Dungeons & Dragons Online is about to launch its third expansion. No, I don't mean Neverwinter. I mean DDO. Which is 11 years old.

I took a look at what's going on with the game. I dunno who looked at it over the years, but they've decided to go with outright talent trees for races / classes, and have been making slow updates to polish them up class by class. A year or two ago Gnomes were added as a race option, and now Aasimar are about to be in too. Warlocks were added a year or two ago as well. The numbers gameplay-wise get pretty hilarious. At first things stay small, as they should, except for HP for everything involved. After level 20 though they go full-on video games and you'll have 80 points in your ability scores.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The only thing I remember from D&D online was the whole rest/recuperate system at launch was a PITA.

Like that system is great for pnp rpgs but doesn't really play very well with online MMO rpgs.

Do they still do that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The only thing I remember from D&D online was the whole rest/recuperate system at launch was a PITA.

Like that system is great for pnp rpgs but doesn't really play very well with online MMO rpgs.

Do they still do that?
    Are you talking about the statues you rest / revive at?

Henroid wrote: »

Do they still do that?

I think so.

You only had like a limited number of charges per like 30 minutes or something like that, it made doing things difficult.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Henroid wrote: »

Do they still do that?

I think so.

You only had like a limited number of charges per like 30 minutes or something like that, it made doing things difficult.
    Yeah the difficulty you set affects that, both the time and the charges.

The game advertises being solo-friendly but it is the least solo-friendly MMO in existence. And I hate that and respect it all at once, because it really keeps it real when it comes to quests being tuned to favor particular kinds of things. Some rely on trap avoidance / disabling. If you're not a rogue, you're fucked, bring one along. Some are undead heavy. If you're a rogue, you're fucked, bring along a Cleric of Paladin.

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The GW2 info is out of date. The latest expansion is Path of Fire. However, it does *not* include the 1st expansion Heart of Thorns. You can choose to play with no expansions, both, or either.

Base game: Free
    HoT: $30
    PoF: $30
    Package with both expansions: $50

There are also mini-updates to the game that add story chapters. They are free when they are new for anyone who logs into the game during that time, but if you missed them they are available on the gem store for 200 gems (US $2.50) per chapter. They also offer bundles of entire seasons, sometimes having sales on them.

Season 1: Not available (happened before seasons became replayable)
    Season 2: 1280 gems (US $16)
    Season 3: 960 gems (US $12)

If you buy a pack but have some of the episodes in it already, the cost is pro-rated.

Gems can be purchased with either real money or with in-game gold, so it's theoretically possible to buy all the story chapters you miss with gold, but this would be daunting for a new player.

If you want to outright buy all existing content for the game, the total cost would be $50 for the expansions plus 2240 gems for the extra story chapters. You can only buy gems in certain incremements, so you'd have to buy the 2800 amount for $35, leaving you with 560 extra gems to spend on convenience and/or cosmetic items. This brings the total cost of all game content to $85.

I would recommend a new player start with the base game for free, then buy the expansion bundle for $50 if they are enjoying the game. For the story chapters I'd wait for a sale, or just skip them and watch a video or something showing you what you missed.

Kylindra on
    I have done my semi-regular update to the OP. Any corrections are always appreciated.

YL9WnCY.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    FF14 price.
    $60 - Complete edition. Includes base game and both expansions.
    $20 - Starter Edition. Base game.
    $40 - Stormblood. Includes Heavensward.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Pathfinder Online is open for Early Enrollment. Looks like downloading the base game is free, but it's pay-to-play. Fifteen bucks a month, $77.40 for six months, or $143.40 for an entire year.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    I guess quarterly updates never happened, but hey you get the first OP update in a year! Now with 100% more Classic WoW!

YL9WnCY.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I guess quarterly updates never happened, but hey you get the first OP update in a year! Now with 100% more Classic WoW!

Correction needed! You don't need to purchase the base game. You only need to purchase a sub.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    How do you sub to WoW without the base game?

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »
    How do you sub to WoW without the base game?

Sign up on battle.net, buy a subscription, it unlocks pretty much everything up to BFA for you, including classic, if I'm remembering it right.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yep, that's how I bought it for my wife

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I play very, very very few MMOs. The only one I've cherished is Destiny, and I never even got the necessary group together for a raid.

Do we have a thread for Outscape? Its a 4X MMO, and while this intrigues me, the trailer talks about it like its not a new concept. It boasts that it lacks the P2W elements that others has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOh2UlORpw
    If I were to give this genre a try, this would be the game I dive into.

EDIT- Mankind's lookin' like a snack!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ianator wrote: »

I'm a bit surprised. I thought the game was getting decent figures. Guess not.

Looking at steam charts, they were getting 500/day on average. The same chart shows Maplestory 1 was doing 830ish/day on average.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited March 2020
    Standing Stone Games have turned out to be pretty cool people.

If you're interested in trying out either of their games- Dungeons and Dragons Online or The Lord of the Rings Online , they've announced that all dungeons and raids- including those usually paywalled in Steam or in-game cash shop expansion packs- are unlocked for all players through April 30th. If you really like what you see, spring for a month or two of VIP and play to your heart's content.

There are also extra events scheduled for this time to make sure everyone has a great time either returning to or playing for the first time!

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Standing Stone Games have turned out to be pretty cool people.

If you're interested in trying out either of their games- Dungeons and Dragons Online or The Lord of the Rings Online , they've announced that all dungeons and raids- including those usually paywalled in Steam or in-game cash shop expansion packs- are unlocked for all players through April 30th. If you really like what you see, spring for a month or two of VIP and play to your heart's content.

There are also extra events scheduled for this time to make sure everyone has a great time either returning to or playing for the first time!

Wow, I was literally thinking about LOTRO today and actually reinstalled it looking for a game world to mess around in until we can actually go outside again. I thought LOTRO was turbine though? Or am I thinking of something else?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    Quoting from Wikipedia:

"On December 19, 2016, it was announced that Turbine would no longer develop the game, rather a new independent game studio was formed under the name Standing Stone Games, the staff of whom would made up of the people that have been working on The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online under Turbine before. The publishing of the game would transfer from Warner Brothers to Daybreak Game Company. While a reason was not given for the transition, it was assured that the game would continue with new development."

You can link your Steam account and pay for premium stuff/VIP time with Steam credit now, too. Makes it so much easier than attaching a credit card and stuff.

In additional, other MMO news, DC Universe Online has announced much the same thing, only they're opening issues (expansions) 1 - 35 through April 15.

I also think WoW has a 100% XP buff going right now, too.

steam_sig.png
    Got an update from Standing Stone on Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online:

The free-play period has been extended until May 31! Everyone can access all questing content without having to buy expansions/challenge packs/whatever (classes/races/etc. are still VIP/favor/real money locked).

In addition, springing for or having a VIP subscription gets you some fun things over the next month:

Dungeons and Dragons Online VIPs get ten free shared bank slots for their account and a Siberys Spirit Cake (read: free revive) delivered to every character that logs in between May 1 - May 31.

Lord of the Rings Online VIPs get a picker box of medium carryalls, choose from one of the following: Crafting, Task, Essence, Instrument or Housing Decoration, and a greater morale potion delivered to every character they log into the game with between May 1 - May 31.

steam_sig.png
    So you'd think three months of free play and handfuls of other goodies would be enough for Standing Stone Games to establish goodwill towards players during this fucked-up time. Nope.

More announcements:

1) Free Play for Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online has been extended, one final time, until August 31st. So if you wanted to spend summer in Eberron or the Shire, your dreams have been answered.

2) VIP in both games is getting a boost: DDO VIPs are getting a bonus that grants them +1% XP for every person other than themselves or hirelings in a group. LOTRO VIPs get access to vendor that will grant them the following benefits once per day: 48-hours of town services items, a buff that negates item wear, and a buff that provides rapid crafting.

3) A coupon will be provided that you can use to get a lot of content in both games for free or for very cheap. The details haven't been provided yet, but more than likely for DDO, it'll be for the quest packs (but not the expansions)- I don't know what it'll be for LOTRO.

4) An upcoming limited time sale is going to be held in both games. In DDO, the expansions "Menace of the Underdark" and "Shadowfell Conspiracy" will be available for 99 DDO points (each or both hasn't been decided yet). In LOTRO, the expansions "Mines of Moria", "Siege of Mirkwood", "Rise of Isengard", "Riders of Rohan", "Helm's Deep" and the instance clusters of "Rise of Rohan" and "Rise of Isengard" will be on sale for 99 LOTRO points (either each or for everything).

If you're wanting in on either of these games, this would be the time to jump in and enjoy!

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Welcome to the rest of the world, Phantasy Star Online 2!

Currently available only through Microsoft on XBOX and Win10 PCs. They're having a slightly rough launch but, y'know, it's real!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    @Cantido I checked the game out and I'm trying it out now, after reading your post.

I'm highly suggestible.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    The coupons are out!

Fire up Lord of the Rings Online and enter LOTROFREEQUESTS and you'll get:

Quest Pack: Central Gondor
    Quest Pack: East Gondor
    Quest Pack: West Gondor
    Quest Pack: Wildermore
    Quest Pack: Angmar
    Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    Quest Pack: Eregion
    Quest Pack: Evendim
    Quest Pack: Forochel
    Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
    Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
    Quest Pack: North Downs
    Quest Pack: Trollshaws
    Quest Pack: Lothlorien
    Quest Pack: Great River
    Quest Pack: Old Anórien
    Region Pack: Far Anórien
    Quest Pack: March of the King
    Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
    Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
    Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
    Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
    Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland

all for free. Also, currently, you can get the following expansion quest packs:

Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
    Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
    Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
    Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
    Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
    Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan

for 99 LOTRO points each. Note: This is only for the enabling of quests and instances from these expansion packs, it does not include any of the extras like races/classes/cosmetics, and is a limited-time sale, so get while the getting is good. (The Mordor and Minas Morgul expansions are still full price, though.)

Over on Dungeons and Dragons Online, fire that up and enter DDOFREEQUESTS in the coupon codes to get:

The Devil’s Gambit
    Trials of the Archons
    The Temple of Elemental Evil
    Heart of Madness
    Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
    Shadow Under Thunderholme
    The High Road of Shadow
    The Druid’s Deep
    Devil Assault
    Three-Barrel Cove
    Secrets of the Artificers
    Vaults of the Artificers
    Phiarlan Carnival
    The Catacombs
    The Sharn Syndicate
    Delera’s Tomb
    The Demon Sands
    The Dreaming Dark
    Attack on Stormreach
    The Necropolis, Part 1
    The Necropolis, Part 2
    The Necropolis, Part 3
    The Necropolis, Part 4
    The Path of Inspiration
    The Reaver’s Reach
    The Restless Isles
    The Ruins of Gianthold
    The Ruins of Threnal
    Sentinels of Stormreach
    Shan-to-Kor
    The Devils of Shavarath
    Sorrowdusk Isle
    The Red Fens
    Harbinger of Madness
    Tangleroot Gorge
    The Vale of Twilight
    The Vault of Night
    Reign of Madness
    Against the Slave Lords
    Dragonblood Prophecy
    The Mines of Tethyamar
    Disciples of Rage
    White Plume Mountain & Other Tales
    The Soul Splitter
    Keep on the Borderlands
    The Lost Gatekeepers

for free. Also, for 99 DDO Points each, you can get:

Quest Pack: Menace of the Underdark
    Quest Pack: The Shadowfell Conspiracy

That's just the quests and instances from those, though. And it doesn't include the Ravenloft or Masterminds of Sharn expansions. But still, you can grind 198 DDO points for free in a couple hours. Even if you don't play these right away, that's still one hell of a bargain.

steam_sig.png