As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Who makes a yellow paint that isn't complete dogshit?

So far all I can tell is "not Citadel".

What colour did you try?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have a single yellow from GW. It is mostly for lining things that look all fire like. I can say their paint is way better than it use to be but you have to break down what type (base, layer, wash) you are using.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've found Averland Sunset to be a really good base paint, with good coverage. Iyanden Yellow is the layer paint, and you do need a couple thin coats to make it cover well.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Averland is the replacement for iyanden dark sun, right? That's what I still use I think.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    I've found that some of the GW paints I'm using, including Averland Sunset, seem to fade in spots and leave the primer showing through. I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen?

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    I've found that some of the GW paints I'm using, including Averland Sunset, seem to fade in spots and leave the primer showing through. I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen?

This will happen (especially with bright colours like yellows). Ideally you should be applying multiple thin coats anyway (even with base paints).

Honestly if you don't need multiple coats for a base layer, your paint is probably not thin enough, in my experience.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I tried Yriel Yellow, which was pretty much see through. I tried Averland Sunset and it was so streaky it looked even worse (I don't think I got a bad pot).

I know that my painting skills aren't exactly top notch, and that yellow is a traditionally difficult color to get right, but it was still frustrating. I'm pretty sure the only way anyone makes yellow look decent when they are at my skill level is going to be using a spray/airbrush, and that's way more effort than I can justify since I'm only doing one model. I think I'm just going to strip it and try with a different color.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I tried Yriel Yellow, which was pretty much see through. I tried Averland Sunset and it was so streaky it looked even worse (I don't think I got a bad pot).

Yriel Yellow is a layer paint, meant to go over another similar colour. Averland Sunset is a base, which meant for basecoats. That should work better for you.

If you are having trouble getting good coverage over black, try mixing some brown into the first coat or two. That will help you get a better base to work from.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    If it's Casandora Yellow then that's the magic sauce I use for yellow armor.

kb6Bsdz.jpg
    I think @Echo described a way to get nice yellows but this is what I found after a quick search.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    It only took me 30 marines to finally figure out how to do shoulder decals. But now marines 31 thru 40 are good to go.

I put 5 small slices near the top edge of my round fist decals and they just lay right over. I've been tearing my hair out (lol, I'm bald!) and trying different things, such as cutting them prior to putting the decal on. This is the most slices I've put in, and I did it after they were already on the model, not before. And I put them all from the sides to the top of the decal.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Fourth squad done!

3kctUB6.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    battlegroup ready for the Jouneyman League

DBiy5x0.jpg

Now maybe I should learn to play the game.....

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Awful lighting, better pics tomorrow when the sun's out hopefully!
    b2965tepdsmg.jpg
    2e93ttozwmsq.jpg
    wcz67chs23lw.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I love that two-sword guy. Especially his golden pauldron skull.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I've been working on some terrain, getting in a session every week or two... I think pretty much all that's left is to pour resin all over it, but as I have repeatedly realized, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hennypennyway, some WIP shots:

ljc82ee6qmx7.jpg

y2k3nvhzqg7e.jpg

jxobqrl4tyj0.jpg

You may notice that the water cut outs don't match up exactly... this is because when I started, I thought that 8" squares go nicely into a 2'x2' board, and so obviously they must go nicely into a 3'x3' board as well. Maths! They're hard. They are now 6" squares.

Echo on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    For my first time using an airbrush I decided to test out the Alpha Legion HH paint scheme, since that's what I want for the bulk of my MKIII / MKIV marines. I used a green stuff 'facade' that was primed with black krylon, airbrushed some Tamiya Aluminum, and finally a Tamiya clear green/blue mix. I think I need a lot more time getting the spray density down (it went on pretty thick), and I definitely need a more complete metal coat underneath the green/blue. I haven't bothered with the green highlights yet, but I'll be hoping to get those down once the base coat is looking good.

xyubr9gu72fn.jpg

One question for those who airbrush: Is it best to seal the mini once you have your base coat down? I can't imagine having to strip the entire mini because I slipped while detailing the shoulders, or applied too much wash and need to touch up.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    If that happens, just fix the mistake. I can't imagine needing to strip a whole model because of a slip or wash correction.

It might just be the camera having trouble with the reflection through the metallics, but that model looks super super grainy.
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Awful lighting, better pics tomorrow when the sun's out hopefully!
    Do you have any pics from a tabletop distance? Those are pretty good looking minis, but that seems to be the kind of paint scheme that comes together best when it's not 'never going to get that close IRL' blown up.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    If that happens, just fix the mistake. I can't imagine needing to strip a whole model because of a slip or wash correction.

It might just be the camera having trouble with the reflection through the metallics, but that model looks super super grainy.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The camera isn't perfect, but it is a bit grainy. I'm hoping to find time to get a decent test now that I understand the airbrush a bit better, but it's fairly loud and my apartment walls are thin, and my free time is usualy at night.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Picked up some a Macromat from Tablewar at NOVA and shot a few pictures in my room at 12:30 in morning under shitty hotel lighting. This thing was worth every penny.

EkXoKCRl.jpg
    PsDujtXl.jpg
    0HGF4S4l.jpg

Yep! It sure is! If you go back and look at my earlier pics (fuck you, Photobucket!) all my pictures were taken under a photobox with white background, under daylight bulbs. I had to do some pretty heavy digital adjustments to the lighting levels and contrast to get the resulting pics looking the same online as they did to the naked eye. I use the same daylight bulbs, but no lightbox, and I don't need to do any adjustments, just throw them right online.

Case in point - Trygon, photo box:
    RuTAXcu.jpg

It didn't take herculean effort to get that right, but still, five minutes + of effort just to get a pic ready.

Venomthropes, macromat
    TjtmNhv.jpg

There's a reason why photographers use backdrops. Aside from these needing no visual editing, the backdrop just makes the models look better.
    I would say GW has slightly changed their brushes. My medium drybrush has seen better days, and when I went to replace it, this flattened thing is what I got.

J0Eh6dO.jpg

My original one here had a conical shape to the bristles. This may work better. Who knows.

GW keeps on changing the design of their dry brushes. Personally, the black handled rounded ones didn't work as well as the blue handled round brushes. I've liked the latest design better so far.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My progress over the weekend. The Iron Interceptors are almost ready to play!

sm7p6l98qyeu.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    For my first time using an airbrush I decided to test out the Alpha Legion HH paint scheme, since that's what I want for the bulk of my MKIII / MKIV marines. I used a green stuff 'facade' that was primed with black krylon, airbrushed some Tamiya Aluminum, and finally a Tamiya clear green/blue mix. I think I need a lot more time getting the spray density down (it went on pretty thick), and I definitely need a more complete metal coat underneath the green/blue. I haven't bothered with the green highlights yet, but I'll be hoping to get those down once the base coat is looking good.

xyubr9gu72fn.jpg

One question for those who airbrush: Is it best to seal the mini once you have your base coat down? I can't imagine having to strip the entire mini because I slipped while detailing the shoulders, or applied too much wash and need to touch up.

He looks like he's trapped in Carbonite.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Had a sucky few weeks of not painting so I'm trying to fix that.

Have a wing (nearly done)

5zxj4w2r0oyh.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    What the heck kind of wings does Mortarian have anyway? They look half bat half beetle with some hair and tubing thrown in.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    flies are quite hairy which I think is where that comes from. See also the Fly-Terminator model.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    They look like rotting leaves to me.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I was thinking there is something moth like as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Morty's wings have a really steep apical angle, with a very rigid costal vein and he possess what looks like an artificial pterostigma, although it might be a strange subcostal vein. What is interested is that his radial, medial, and cubital veins all seem to branch directly at their point of contact with their respective sclerites, which is unusual.

Furthermore...*blinks*

Uh so I finished a unit of vanguard over the weekend!

4MsV6H0l.jpg

• Options
    So...what kind of insect are his wings the closest to?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    So...what kind of insect are his wings the closest to?

Honestly, it's a mess. Not beetles, that's for sure. If you squint and ignore a lot of stuff where the veins connect to the body, it kinda looks like Calliphora, or blowflies, which is probably what they were going for....but in all honesty it look more like a butterfly forewing, and I don't just mean because of the pointy shape of the wings.

But it's kind of a mess, and it's like a mash up of a bunch of different bugs

I guess that's the point???

• Options
    butterfly wings would fit pretty well with Nurgle's sense of humour.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    On that day, Mortarion earned the eternal enmity of the Adeptus Entomologus

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    On that day, Mortarion earned the eternal enmity of the Adeptus Entomologus

.....why did you put this idea into my head

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I figured that there supposed to be angels wings, but like made of skin?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know this is the painting thread, but I think i found something for 3d printing.
    A lot of the problems with 3d printing are the layers it leaves behind, ruining the detail of models or showing it as an obvious print.

How do you get your models to look like injection molds?
    The answer? Acetone vapor baths.

I might actually get a 3d printer now.

"how do we smooth out this mold?"

"I dunno, light it on fire?"

"genius"

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm making progress on my Redemptor Dread! The base is done!
    Slow and steady...

I decided the about-to-be-deceased-marine should be a Minotaur, because serious, fuck the Minotaurs. If there's ever a loyalist chapter that's likely to end weapons hot against my own, might as well be them!

xLKrTI3.jpg

This is the first time I've ever tried to free hand a chapter symbol on a shoulder pad.

e2OXADd.jpg

mnPXjSb.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good, considering I spent an hour with a 0000 brush, and a loupe trying to get it right! Fortunately, the battle damage and purity seals help cover up some flaws.

m7A2x2s.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Picked up some a Macromat from Tablewar at NOVA and shot a few pictures in my room at 12:30 in morning under shitty hotel lighting. This thing was worth every penny.

EkXoKCRl.jpg
    PsDujtXl.jpg
    0HGF4S4l.jpg

Yep! It sure is! If you go back and look at my earlier pics (fuck you, Photobucket!) all my pictures were taken under a photobox with white background, under daylight bulbs. I had to do some pretty heavy digital adjustments to the lighting levels and contrast to get the resulting pics looking the same online as they did to the naked eye. I use the same daylight bulbs, but no lightbox, and I don't need to do any adjustments, just throw them right online.

Case in point - Trygon, photo box:
    RuTAXcu.jpg

It didn't take herculean effort to get that right, but still, five minutes + of effort just to get a pic ready.

Venomthropes, macromat
    TjtmNhv.jpg

There's a reason why photographers use backdrops. Aside from these needing no visual editing, the backdrop just makes the models look better.
    I would say GW has slightly changed their brushes. My medium drybrush has seen better days, and when I went to replace it, this flattened thing is what I got.

J0Eh6dO.jpg

My original one here had a conical shape to the bristles. This may work better. Who knows.

GW keeps on changing the design of their dry brushes. Personally, the black handled rounded ones didn't work as well as the blue handled round brushes. I've liked the latest design better so far.
    Love thsoe wrath of kings models, shame im just not a fan of the system.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I made some hobby progress! This is an all metal dreadnaught that had been sitting in my basement unpainted for well over a decade. It feels good to get around to painting it after all these years!

BEunpUN.jpg?1
    Z0fRtla.jpg?1
    SMryvTu.jpg?1
    tKPVP7A.jpg?1

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I had a friend with that all-metal monstrosity sitting unpainted on a shelf for years collecting dust. One day he accidentally knocked it off the shelf, it tumbled down and landed right on his two middle toes. One ER visit later, it had broken one and messed up the other pretty bad. He had a horrible purple clown foot for a month and the middle toe is still crooked.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Note to self: Move dreadnaught off of top shelf when I get home.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Note to self: Move dreadnaught off of top shelf when I get home.

Nah, you should be fine now; the dreadnought’s soul is no longer calling for vengeance for its miserable unpainted state. Probably.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.