As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I always thought Tallarn were THE tank regiment? They don't like walking around on their irradiated desert surface, so they all blitz around in tanks.
    What with them being heavily based on ww2 Afrika tank corps, and have "the largest tank battle in imperium history" under their belt.

But yeah... I could see them getting some weird "strike like the wind" gibberish that gives them -1 to hit.

website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tallarns have changed a little back and forth between tank heavy and light skirmishers in the background.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You know I just realised.

Death to the false emperor grants an extra attack per hit roll of a six.

Mortarion makes 3 hit rolls per attack when doing the one damage swing.

So for each six he gets, he gets an extra attack, and as he makes three hit rolls per attack, every six to hit from his original 18 is generating 3 more against imperials units.

Like 21-24 attacks against isn't impossible against imperial units, with an extremely unlikely maximum of 72.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    What all regiments do you think would show up? Just the main ones like cadians, catachans, valhallans, Mordians and tallarns or some of the older obscure ones too like savlar chem-dogs and those tanarth guys from the books?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    In the background section of the big rulebook, it shows 8 regiments (which is the same number of ones getting rulesets).

They are: Cadian, Catachan, Mordian, Valhallans, Armageddon Steel Legion, Tallarn, Vostroyans, and Death Korp of Krieg.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They already mentioned the Stormtroopers as being one of the 8 regiments in the Codex, though, so they probably take the place of the DKoK, given that they're a Forgeworld thing anyway.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    They already mentioned the Stormtroopers as being one of the 8 regiments in the Codex, though, so they probably take the place of the DKoK, given that they're a Forgeworld thing anyway.

Ah, Adeptus Scions... that would make sense

Stormtroopers seem like an odd choice for a regiment, considering their whole thing is ‘Guard but better’. They’d need a whole slew of regimental rules to equal what they are now.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I went back to check and they actually list all eight in the announcement article
    Cadia and Catachan will, of course, be included, as well as new rules for Armageddon, Tallarn, Valhalla, Vostroya, Mordian and the Militarum Tempestus.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/24/daemon-engines-a-battlefield-in-a-box-and-a-new-codex/

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well will there be a plastic steel legion kit?

Still I know it's 2 months away but Necromunda soon will be out
    I am still curious about some things of it like will I be able to use my old gang? {not the gang I made long ago but what it looks like}
    Can my brother use his Van Saar as it sits? As I saw those little cards. They look like the stats cards for Shadespire so will Necromunda be using that as well?
    I have tons of questions for it and I know in time they might be answered.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Necromunda will eventually have full rules and kits for all the classic gangs/houses, including the outlanders, apparently. No idea if there will be cards for each, but it’s possible.
    There will be full campaign rules but the starter box is just that, a complete game-in-a-box with core rules and pre-set gangs per the cards. Not sure if the starter contains the campaign stuff or not at this point.
    Also significant; the model profile is back to Rogue Trader standard: M, WS, BS, S, T, I, A, Ld, Cl, Wp, Int although WS, BS, and I are all target values (i.e. “3+” etc.) rather than plain numbers. No idea if this matches Shadespire – not paid it that much attention.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Really surprised at the lack of support for Gaunts Ghosts. Some of the best selling BL books, no models in like 15 years.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I put together 10 possessed. I used some normal CSM and berserker backpacks and raptor/warp talon heads. It did a lot to help them look like proper monstrosities instead of weirdo clowns

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well will there be a plastic steel legion kit?

Still I know it's 2 months away but Necromunda soon will be out
    I am still curious about some things of it like will I be able to use my old gang? {not the gang I made long ago but what it looks like}
    Can my brother use his Van Saar as it sits? As I saw those little cards. They look like the stats cards for Shadespire so will Necromunda be using that as well?
    I have tons of questions for it and I know in time they might be answered.

Maaaaaaan... The steel legion were the coolest-looking.

I originally started my 3rd Edition IG army based around the Steel Legion, thinking they'd get plastics (lol!), but got stuck with goofy-looking Catachans and pretty-cool-looking Cadians instead.

I might not be able to resist selling myself behind Olive Garden to pay for plastic Steel Legion mans...

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Really surprised at the lack of support for Gaunts Ghosts. Some of the best selling BL books, no models in like 15 years.

How old are the Imperial Guard troop models? All the metal / resin ones are from 2nd edition (so 20ish years old?). I want to say the Catachan stuff is 3rd edition, so 15+ years old; I've a feeling the Cadians are of a similar age as well (I know I went to the Gamesday and bought about 20 Kasrkin before they got released).

They're not the only really old Troop models; I'm reasonably sure the Ork Boyz and Eldar Guardian kits are 3rd edition as well.

If you want some Ghost models, you could go for Border World Rangers from Victoria Minis

PSN Fleety2009
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

How old are the Imperial Guard troop models? All the metal / resin ones are from 2nd edition (so 20ish years old?). I want to say the Catachan stuff is 3rd edition, so 15+ years old; I've a feeling the Cadians are of a similar age as well (I know I went to the Gamesday and bought about 20 Kasrkin before they got released).

They're not the only really old Troop models; I'm reasonably sure the Ork Boyz and Eldar Guardian kits are 3rd edition as well.

If you want some Ghost models, you could go for Border World Rangers from Victoria Minis

Chaos are 3rd/3.5. I got a new box and it is the same stuff I got 15 years ago.

The biggest changes are they added in some banners.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I don't exactly dislike the how the tempestus scions look but I'm still mad we didn't get plastic kasrkin.

I have all the parts to convert my own but I'm super lazy and I don't feel like sculpting kneepads.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Open War Cards for 40k

I remember someone on my group's what's app chat mention they were coming out. I should grab these. I really like the objective cards of maelstrom and the whole let's just generate a mission thing is really nice in my head. Makes play unpredictable but not terrible and easy for pick up games. Also the AoS folks in my group swear by them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Open War Cards for 40k

I remember someone on my group's what's app chat mention they were coming out. I should grab these. I really like the objective cards of maelstrom and the whole let's just generate a mission thing is really nice in my head. Makes play unpredictable but not terrible and easy for pick up games. Also the AoS folks in my group swear by them.

Open War is really fun - it's not always the most balanced but it's always a good time. I think of them as a middle ground between narrative and competitive missions. We use them almost exclusively now in our group. Every mission is different and you don't know what you are getting into until the game starts. A great way to hone your game strategies.

Sharp101 on
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Oh you're definitely right, and I know of those from Victoria, I'm just saying - if you have something that is obviously extremely popular, why not make models for it? Blood Angels, Gaunts Ghosts, these sorts of factions have pretty large followings that would jump in a second for models. Look at GSC.

Mordia

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/regiment-focus-mordian-sep26gw-homepage-post-2/

Again the tank part is the strong part.

Also wow, that grinding advance rule. Double shots for the turret gun when going slow.

honovere wrote: »
    Mordia

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/regiment-focus-mordian-sep26gw-homepage-post-2/

Again the tank part is the strong part.

Also wow, that grinding advance rule. Double shots for the turret gun when going slow.

And the mordians picking chars out with rapid fire. That's ridiculously important.

edited September 2017
    And makes plasma guns even better compared to the other special weapons as it is the only one benefitting from that order.

My guard is feeling a little sorry for my mechanicus.

honovere on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Looks like all the IG traits are going to have the infantry/vehicle split. Mordia looks pretty nuts, that order to target characters is crazybeans. No CP, no roll, just pick a plasmasquad and erase a character.
    Seems like they listened to everyone bitching about russes, because grinding advance is an insane buff. Russes never move much anyways, and now things like punishers can put out 40(!) shots before sponson weapons! Interested to see how their point cost got adjusted.

website_header.jpg
    From the sentence about vostroya I'm now getting that they get +6" range on rapid fire guns when they don't move.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    If my baneblade doesn't get a grinding advance rule, I'm going to be a little upset. Having to decide between moving or firing accurately blows.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Uh, rules as written the Mordian trait dosnt actually do anything? The overwatch rule specifcially states that overwatch shots cannot be modified.

The intention is obvious, but it's kinda a weird thing to miss.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Uh, rules as written the Mordian trait dosnt actually do anything? The overwatch rule specifcially states that overwatch shots cannot be modified.

You argue that with anyone and they would like, yeah sorry uh no.

My guess you will see an instant FAQ if need be. Everyone gets what the ability does.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Is there still the rule somewhere that codex trumps rule book? That used to be what let special rules break regular rules.

Mazzyx wrote: »

You argue that with anyone and they would like, yeah sorry uh no.

My guess you will see an instant FAQ if need be. Everyone gets what the ability does.

I mean I agree, but you know some asshole is going to argue the wording at some point. It's especially odd because the tank stratagem has the kind of wording that's super clear.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Is there still the rule somewhere that codex trumps rule book? That used to be what let special rules break regular rules.

There doesn't have to be a rule for that. That's how rules _work._ Specific always overrides general. If language didn't work that way, then when you tried to use your special rule that say, allows you to ignore movement penalties when shooting, I could just point to the basic rules and say, 'no, that doesn't work. See, it says right here, if your model moves..."

Oh sure, language, logic and the basic kindergarten concept of following rules would imply that this codex thing lets you get around that rule book thing.

But we’re talking about people that make ultra orthodox religious zealots look tame when it comes to following only a very specific reading of a book.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The only rule that matters in that situation is "Don't play with asswipes"

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It doesn't matter. Specific has to override general, or else games don't work. All games. Any game.
    "Okay, I'm charging with unit X that deep struck in this turn-"
    "No you're not. Rulebook says 'units that deepstruck can't assault.'"
    "Right, but they got the special rule that says-"
    "Doesn't matter, rulebook says no assault after deepstrike, so you can't do it."

*edit*

There's nothing missed about it. You get to modify the roll overwatch. There's absolutely zero ambiguity about it. The fact it says, 'add 1 to rolls for overwatch' means there is absolutely no good faith way to argue otherwise.

Meanwhile, everything else that modifies shootings rolls still doesn't affect overwatch. The system is working as intended.

It's the _exact_ same thing I said above. In previous editions where you had the rule 'models cannot assault after deep striking,' was there _any_ ambiguity or disagreement about how things worked when some models got a special rule that allowed them to assault out of deep strike?

Meanwhile, first world problems - I was thinking about selling my Tau army after the new codex dropped, because I need to trim my hobby collection. My birthday had come and gone without me paying much attention to it, and I had a box show up today. My sister had helped organize a family present for me, and I now have nice new things like a Ghostkeel kit, because I never got those off of my amazon wish list.

Looks like I'm still playing Tau! :lol:

Gabriel_Pitt on
    On another topic I played my first game yesterday using the Death Guard codex.

It went great, winning a pretty crushing victory (controlling every objective at turns end).

Mortarion was good. He killed over 700 points of stuff including a custodes land raider, all four of my opponents HQ choices and two units of sisters of silence. The land raider exploding finally killed him off, but at that point he had tanked such an insane amount of fire I had whittled down my opponents list so far, and taken comparatively so little casualties that the writing was on the wall.

Other top units were my Demon Prince of nurgle with the supperating plate, who survived two squads of scions with four meltal total deep striking him, before killing them off and then clearing out a unit of guard on an objective in my opponents deployment zone. And my cultists who, now they have an 18" rapid fire feel insanely efficient for their points cost.

Also fun was this little combo. The front of my army was a unit of cultists and immediately behind was the pox walkers. First turn I advanced them both and used cloud of flies and the dead walk on the pox walkers. My opponent had to shoot the cultists before he could shoot the walkers, but the killed cultists became pox walkers. By the end of the first turn I had a 30+ man pox walker unit that was then able to charge in and kill even more models. I've tried a few different units to act as objective holders/roadblocks/screens and poxwalkers are the best. Whilst cultists have guns and plaugebearers have the invuln, the combination of Obsec and immunity to morale means that you force you opponent to kill every single one.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Why did he have to shoot the cultists before the pox-walkers?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    including a custodes land raider

This reminds me, I've got $30 in store credit at one of the Warhammer stores in town. The guy who runs it does a sliding discount (5% off at $50, 10% off at $100, and 15% off everything over $150), so I'm going to try and get him to hold a Talons of the Emperor box before they're gone. I'm not sure if I'm going to want the Custodes and Sisters though, so if I sold them both NOS for 50% off of their MSRP than between the discounts and the store credit I'd basically be getting a Land Raider, Rhino, and Contemptor Dreadnought for $56 out of pocket.

If I am able to pick up another Land Raider that cheaply than I could justify dropping a few bucks on bits sites and putting together a Land Raider Ares for house games.

Chrysis wrote: »
    Why did he have to shoot the cultists before the pox-walkers?

cloud of flies on the powalkers basically turns the unit into a character for the shooting rules. Can only be targeted if they are the closest unit.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    That's a nice spell. Very nice indeed.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    I'm finally approaching the point where I may have an army to field. Battlescribe's 8th edition files appear to have evaporated, so here's an army where I hopefully didn't fuck up the points:

Death Guard - Not Quite 2K:
    HQ
    Typhus

Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
    20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

7x Plague Marines (Plasma gun on champ, 2x blight launcher)

Chaos Rhino w/ Combi-bolter

Elites
    Noxious Blightbringer

5x Blightlord Terminators (Flail, Blight Launcher, 3x Combi-plasma, 4x Bubotic Axe)

5x Blightlord Terminators (Flail, Blight Launcher, 3x Combi-plasma, 4x Bubotic Axe)

Fast Attack
    Foetid Bloat-Drone (Fleshmower & Plague Probe)

Foetid Bloat-Drone (Fleshmower & Plague Probe)

Heavy Support
    Plagueburst Crawler (Plagueburst Mortar, Heavy Slugger, 2x Entropy Cannon)

Plagueburst Crawler (Plagueburst Mortar, Heavy Slugger, 2x Entropy Cannon)

Grand Total: 1983

Complete Bullshit Theory Crafting From Someone Who Has Never Played:
    I'm hoping Typhus and the Noxious Blightbringer can footslog their way up the field with the Poxwalkers leading the way. The Rhino can get the Plague Marines and Malignant Plaguecaster to rush an objective or flank. Foetid Bloat-Drones either draw fire, or chew through enemy forces. Plagueburst Crawlers hang back and bombard, try to get narrow fields of fire to do some long range support with their full arsenal without being too exposed. Not sure if I should resign those to being in the enemy's face and maybe grab plaguespitters to discourage charges. Not sure where to throw the remaining points. Maybe a Havoc Launcher or Combi-flamer on the Rhino.

Also not sure if two terminator squads are worth it, or if I should drop one and throw in another character. Maybe a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour to drop in with the group? I might be able to slide in another Plagueburst Crawler in that case.

The list feels a bit rushed, but it's mainly so I make sure I get my preorders in asap.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
This discussion has been closed.