As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2017 PAX Unplugged Inaugural Challenge Coin Thread

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Nobody has mocked up this image yet?
    For Shame!
    yd8ckce2j3p2.png

I regret nothing.
    Edit: best 2 minutes in ms paint ever.

I mean, there's something kind of sublimely perfect about the concept.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's not bad at all actually.

• Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    lmfao @SutibunRi here, this is obligatory now. You did this.

Catan 4
    fdahiuh1rleg.jpg

Also, I forgot to mock this up last night. I'll see if there's any other recommendations over the next couple day or so and I'll put up a poll so everyone can vote.

Independence Hall 3
    a04xb3lws5av.jpg

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    I fixed OP and will update that going forward. I love Independence Hall 3. Independence Hall 1 would work fine, but I just think 3 is the better picture. I like our options though. I think we have some really great options for landmarks. Gaming side is tough, nothing really jumps out at me, but I think Catan 4 is hilarious and I'd love to do it if it was kosher. I really like the design of Catan 3, but like @ilta said we would need to redesign it instead of using the direct artwork, so we would need some help there. Pandemic is really cool and I think it would look alright on a coin. I like the idea of D&D on the coin, but I haven't been able to figure out something I love that would work. I think it'd be cool to show DMs some love and have a DM behind their screen similar to Matthew Mercer's pic below, but more straight on. I love the simpler D&D 1 option, but I'm worried whether the artwork would work on the coin.
    kb40hq7hh8ks.jpg

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    I fixed OP and will update that going forward. I love Independence Hall 3. Independence Hall 1 would work fine, but I just think 3 is the better picture. I like our options though. I think we have some really great options for landmarks. Gaming side is tough, nothing really jumps out at me, but I think Catan 4 is hilarious and I'd love to do it if it was kosher. I really like the design of Catan 3, but like @ilta said we would need to redesign it instead of using the direct artwork, so we would need some help there. Pandemic is really cool and I think it would look alright on a coin. I like the idea of D&D on the coin, but I haven't been able to figure out something I love that would work. I think it'd be cool to show DMs some love and have a DM behind their screen similar to Matthew Mercer's pic below, but more straight on. I love the simpler D&D 1 option, but I'm worried whether the artwork would work on the coin.
    kb40hq7hh8ks.jpg

Do we think Matt Mercer or Chris Perkins would perhaps work with us to create the picture we'd like? I don't know if any contractual obligations would restrict them from doing something like that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    amwamw Registered User new member
    A couple of things. First: I'm pretty sure the wood to sheep & back design is lewd in some way, but it's beyond my feeble imagination. It's a clean design, but I just have this feeling it might not be appropriate. Second: I think many of the gaming designs are excellent, but this is the inaugural PAX Unplugged event, and (goodness knows why) Philadelphia is the venue, so can we please celebrate that? I'm OK with a gaming design for future events (every PAX is gaming), but the first Unplugged is special, so I would like to promote the Philadelphia venue. The skyline is tricky because it is changing (include none, one or two Comcast buildings?) while it nicely freezes the state of the city at the time. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are classic Philadelphia icons. If a photo-shop expert could substitute the Rocky Statue in front of "Independence Hall 3", with the Pacman and Ms Pacman edging (I love this!), that would combine old and new Philadelphia icons with some tongue in cheek, and cinch my vote.

• Options
    amw wrote: »
    A couple of things. First: I'm pretty sure the wood to sheep & back design is lewd in some way, but it's beyond my feeble imagination. It's a clean design, but I just have this feeling it might not be appropriate. Second: I think many of the gaming designs are excellent, but this is the inaugural PAX Unplugged event, and (goodness knows why) Philadelphia is the venue, so can we please celebrate that? I'm OK with a gaming design for future events (every PAX is gaming), but the first Unplugged is special, so I would like to promote the Philadelphia venue. The skyline is tricky because it is changing (include none, one or two Comcast buildings?) while it nicely freezes the state of the city at the time. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are classic Philadelphia icons. If a photo-shop expert could substitute the Rocky Statue in front of "Independence Hall 3", with the Pacman and Ms Pacman edging (I love this!), that would combine old and new Philadelphia icons with some tongue in cheek, and cinch my vote.

The front of the coin contains a city representation, while the back has the gaming representation. So it's not a choice between Philly or gaming.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    bluebombardierbluebombardier Registered User regular
    Would it be possible to make the coin shaped like a hex? Since hexes are used so frequently in tabletop games.

VqOf6Tv.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    amw wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the wood to sheep & back design is lewd in some way
    In Catan you can trade resources with other players.
    If you need wood, but have extra sheep, you might say aloud "Wood for Sheep" (or is that the other way around? I've never been sure if you state what you're offering first, or what you're seeking.)
    Which as everyone has an inner 12 year old, gets a chuckle, because wood has connotations.

So yeah, It's a tad lewd.

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Would it be possible to make the coin shaped like a hex? Since hexes are used so frequently in tabletop games.

I don't know, but I like the idea :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options

This is a brilliant idea. @RILMS can you send me the info for our contact at kiddercorp? I'll contact them today and find out.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    If we do the hex this year then next year we should just do a square with the gaming side being the Carcassonne start tile.

• Options
    I got the thumbs up from kiddercorp on the hexagon design. I am working on the template now and as soon as I have something I'll post it here so all of you can take a look. Right now I am having difficulty with the text. Corners are tough. They separate the words too much in my eyes. The other challenge is that we will have slightly less real estate on the coin if we go with the traditional 1.75" size.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I love the idea, but if it messes up the text and makes them too small we could just put a hex inside the inner ring circle. Then put the image inside that.

circlehex_36584_md.gif?w=24

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    @ArcSyn I've played with a lot of different options with the hex. @bluebombardier really hit me with that hex idea.

I'll go ahead and share what I have. The inner hex versions looked terrible. I included one below to give you an idea of what I was working with. So, the last one is something I just mocked up in my efforts to make things look cleaner.

Hex Template 1
    5n4qw7e7hvgq.jpg

Hex Template 2
    89vgzxcsb5cs.jpg

I think Hex Template 2 looks so much better than the other hex options I was able to put together, but we'll have less room for picture due to the shape change if we stay at the 1.75" size. We could make the overall size bigger making more room for the picture and keeping the border the same size, but this should give us an idea.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    Template 2 does look good. How does the reverse side fit with the long location?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tend to be the coin guy who rails against changing the shape and size of coins, but Hex coins for (even if just the first) Unplugged is a thing I am all in on.
    I won't be attending, but I'm going to make sure to get a coin!

• Options
    Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    I know that Pac man and pellets are the classic style, but how do you all feel about meeple and resource blocks for the border?

• Options
    Mercyd1403 wrote: »
    I know that Pac man and pellets are the classic style, but how do you all feel about meeple and resource blocks for the border?

Pacman eating resource cubes? A little of the old, mixed with new?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

I was thinking about a tabletop version of the border but there's nothing I love quite as much (that I'm talented enough to create. Read: I'm not talented) as the pacman border. At one point I was thinking of doing dice shapes with the pips and all that. I'll try to put something together for meeple and resource blocks but I'm not confident that I can make it look decent haha.
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I tend to be the coin guy who rails against changing the shape and size of coins, but Hex coins for (even if just the first) Unplugged is a thing I am all in on.
    I won't be attending, but I'm going to make sure to get a coin!

The entire time thinking about this I never wanted to change the coin. I like the uniformity of the coin designs, but this seems special and a hex version of all the PAX Unplugged events laid out on a table in the future makes me very happy.
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Template 2 does look good. How does the reverse side fit with the long location?

I'll mock this up during halftime of the Pats game (priorities). I just wanted to shoot this out to the forum as soon as I had it done because I was excited about the way it looked.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options

Oooooooo I like that idea. Hmm...I'll see if I can make cubes look like cubes. I love all of the ideas everyone is coming up with.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options

Oooooooo I like that idea. Hmm...I'll see if I can make cubes look like cubes. I love all of the ideas everyone is coming up with.

Thin lines for the edges on the face? Interestingly, they'd also be hexagonal.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I would not be averse to having the Unplugged coin always be a hex, tbh. That could be its "thing", regardless of the featured image on the gaming side. Bonus: after a few years, you can tile the coins!

I prefer Hex Template 2 but I agree, you're losing a lot of space and the non-symmetrical bordering ends up fighting the overall hex shape. What if you made the text and pac-people smaller so that a word / image was centered along each edge? Something like.... this? (again, just a fast and dirty mockup)

Hex Template 3
    gy8g7u49qlyb.jpg

ilta on
  • Options
    (I still don't like how "welcome home" is sitting, but I feel like this is a little better and reduces some of the "text bumping into eachother" effect I was getting from HT1)

• Options
    I almost want to find another Latin phrase that would fit better and perhaps be related to tabletop, but that might be a stretch too far.

Like "don't flip the table"

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    @ilta yeah I played with the text size a lot. I was holding my coin and I kept thinking about how nervous I was to make the text too much smaller than the 12pt the template was at. I definitely can't make it fit at 12pt, so I lowered it to 11pt in HT1. I think in your example it is 9 or 10pt maybe less. Pretty tiny. With that said, I am drawing up the landmark side with HT2 and it doesn't look like I can fit "Philadelphia, PA" in without making it 10pt, so I'd be fine with that version if everyone preferred that. It definitely makes more room for the picture. I'm going to choose some of the popular options tonight and stick them in the HT2 template to see what they look like. I'll post them here so you all can see too. I imagine that we'll be a little disappointed with the real estate on the inner hex. While point to point the circle and hex are the same size I think the coin will feel even tinier irl.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    and 'cause i can't help myself

js7pdidldkg1.jpg

• Options
    @ilta yeah I played with the text size a lot. I was holding my coin and I kept thinking about how nervous I was to make the text too much smaller than the 12pt the template was at. I definitely can't make it fit at 12pt, so I lowered it to 11pt in HT1. I think in your example it is 9 or 10pt maybe less. Pretty tiny. With that said, I am drawing up the landmark side with HT2 and it doesn't look like I can fit "Philadelphia, PA" in without making it 10pt, so I'd be fine with that version if everyone preferred that. It definitely makes more room for the picture. I'm going to choose some of the popular options tonight and stick them in the HT2 template to see what they look like. I'll post them here so you all can see too. I imagine that we'll be a little disappointed with the real estate on the inner hex. While point to point the circle and hex are the same size I think the coin will feel even tinier irl.

I hear you, man. The times I've gone back and forth over text size in postcard designs, I can't even tell you.

I mean, one possible solution is to just make the hex bigger, so that instead of 1.75 point-to-point, it's 1.75 edge-to-edge. That might earn us back some 12-point type and a sense that the inner ring isn't so hurt. What's the word on feasibility of that from our good friends at kiddercorp?

• Options
    ilta wrote: »

I hear you, man. The times I've gone back and forth over text size in postcard designs, I can't even tell you.

I mean, one possible solution is to just make the hex bigger, so that instead of 1.75 point-to-point, it's 1.75 edge-to-edge. That might earn us back some 12-point type and a sense that the inner ring isn't so hurt. What's the word on feasibility of that from our good friends at kiddercorp?

I'll shoot them an email, but it seems like they are more than capable of making all sorts of sized coins. I feel comfortable with moving forward with the assumption that they can do 1.75 edge to edge. I'll work on expanding the template tonight so we'll have an accurate look at what we have for real estate on the inner hex.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    Here's the landmark side too. 10pt for now, but I just want everyone to see it.

@ArcSyn I know you were interested in this in particular

Hex Landmark Template
    mroxb0m0tp78.jpg

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    ilta wrote: »
    and 'cause i can't help myself

js7pdidldkg1.jpg

also I love this lmao

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Ah, so I already made the template too large for the HT2 option above. When creating it I was using measurements for the circle and made edge to edge 1.75" and point to point is 2.02" so what we have above is probably what we'll stick with unless you all want to make it larger than that. Let's see how our landmark and gaming options look inside it and we can see if it is necessary.

robirex on
    6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    The inner hex is 1.327" point to point and 1.010" edge to edge. Comparative to 1.427" on the inner circle. Nothing changed with the images below. I just wanted to repost since there has been a lot of discussion today.
    otw7gb2cqjl4.jpg
    e425k9sszxq1.jpg

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    Wow, that is quite a difference.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    kb40hq7hh8ks.jpg

Do we think Matt Mercer or Chris Perkins would perhaps work with us to create the picture we'd like? I don't know if any contractual obligations would restrict them from doing something like that.

btw I meant to respond to this and forgot to. I'm not opposed to this at all, but I think we would need more time to hear back from their people than we have. Our timeline is pretty tight especially if we have a new coin design that we are giving to kiddercorp. There's been some talk behind the scenes about the timeline and we need to get the ball rolling on a final design pretty soon. We are in good shape right now, but it's something that needs to be constantly in the back of my mind. Waiting for a response from either of those guys just wouldn't be something I think we have time for. However, it would be super cool. Maybe for next year. The goal is to get the coins in everyone's hands prior to Nov 17th.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    Wow, that is quite a difference.

Yeah looking at a coin now. I don't think it's too bad (1.75" on outer edge to edge, 1.01" inner edge to edge), but we definitely lose significant real estate with a hex design change. Even the regular hex with the text issues I have is 1.19" edge to edge and 1.37" point to point on the inner hex.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Okay here are the new hex options using the hex template 2. I just chose the ones people mentioned. I think I kept the same content in each picture, but it will be smaller for sure. If we prefer the full hex template option we can vote on it. I added these options to the OP so we can compare too.

Agricola 2H
    bjsa58eyxp10.jpg

Settlers of Catan 1H
    dxrpqjkvbyiz.jpg

Settlers of Catan 3H
    qtgnun2zxco5.jpg

Flashpoint 1H
    gag0ad32u7c7.jpg

Pandemic 1H
    7u6x6nydhkjz.jpg

Independence Hall 3H
    qem9lktdswyh.jpg

Independence Hall 4H
    57jci4ht1yw1.jpg

Liberty Bell 1H
    z3vk8gsgxelh.jpg

Rocky 3H
    03b3i6rghuhw.jpg

Skyline 3H
    npa1go8r0s45.jpg

robirex on
    6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like the hex design, but I really don't like the two-line text on the hex design. Something about it feels very off.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The more I look at it, the more I'm not liking the compromises to accommodate a hex shaped coin. :( I love the idea of it, but it just doesn't look as nice with the text as the round coin does.

I mocked this up, but I'm thinking of swapping the resource hexes with the Japanese version ones, and maybe we could put a wood trading port in the middle? Or something. Might be too complex to really put on a coin though.
    h951dygg8cr0.jpg
    jki6dc7dtdak.jpg

edit: even looking at my own mock up I'm not liking it. The basic pandemic image is sounding better and better just for it's simplicity of a pawn and cubes.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    @robirex Any new designs or communication with Kiddercorp?

OtyHMcu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.