As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's not necessarily what you actually see on the scale every week, it's an average over time, looking at the trend. It can be a little more in the beginning because the first pounds are easier to lose. If you're looking to lose 100lbs over a year, 2lbs a week is about right.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I think I ended up going a bit over 2lb a week as an overall average

I was kinda worried about getting enough iron and stuff from my diet, but I got a blood test a bit ago and it turned out there wasn't anything wrong. It was a bit hard hitting the protein goals while also being on about 1600 calories. But so far, it hasn't been too hard to maintain my weight, although it's only been a month.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I take one of these vitamins every morning before work.

Is that good enough as daily vitamins go, or should I be adding something else?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

AFAIK, multivitamins aren't as effective as getting your nutrients from the food you're eating. Your body absorbs nutrients best from food. Multivitamins also often have combinations of vitamins and minerals that lessen the absorption of both, so you're getting a little less than you're thinking.

It's not hurting you, but from what I've read on multivitamins, it may not be helping you a huge amount either.

AFAIK, multivitamins aren't as effective as getting your nutrients from the food you're eating. Your body absorbs nutrients best from food. Multivitamins also often have combinations of vitamins and minerals that lessen the absorption of both, so you're getting a little less than you're thinking.

It's not hurting you, but from what I've read on multivitamins, it may not be helping you a huge amount either.

Figured that was the case, as I hardly feel energized at all from taking them.

I definitely need to add some veggies to my meal. Still not sure which ones are the most recommended and how much I should include portion-wise.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Was on vacation and had no access to a gym and really wasn't trying to be too strict with calorie counting.

Not only managed to maintain my weight but I even dropped a little.

Happy with that as being too lax during vacations was always a problem for me.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Veggies are one of those things that you don't need to portion out. They're typically so low calorie you'd need to eat yourself sick to eat too much of it. The things you need to be careful with are liquid calories (milk, soda, juice, etc), and fats. Proteins are hard to eat a lot of too, but are less of a problem than the fats since they're not quite as nutrient dense.

Here's a good image which demonstrates caloric density so you get an idea:

iNbTQy9l.jpg

Basically don't even worry about too many vegetables, the more you eat, the better (higher in micronutrients in general).

E: As for vegetables that are good, you'll just want to avoid tubers like potatoes/yams. The rest are fairly good all around nutrient and calorie wise.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Don't avoid potatoes and yams, just don't think of them as vegetables. They're plenty nutrient dense but they're also calorie dense so treat them like a bread or pasta and portion accordingly and you'll be fine.

Now corn is a garbage vegetable, corn you can safely avoid. And I think carrots are sweet and gross but that is an opinion. Everything else is fine.

Make sure to eat the skins too! That's where most of the nutrients are!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    Veggies are one of those things that you don't need to portion out. They're typically so low calorie you'd need to eat yourself sick to eat too much of it. The things you need to be careful with are liquid calories (milk, soda, juice, etc), and fats. Proteins are hard to eat a lot of too, but are less of a problem than the fats since they're not quite as nutrient dense.

iNbTQy9l.jpg

Basically don't even worry about too many vegetables, the more you eat, the better (higher in micronutrients in general).

E: As for vegetables that are good, you'll just want to avoid tubers like potatoes/yams. The rest are fairly good all around nutrient and calorie wise.

Does that mean I don’t have to bother adding them to MFP’s daily calorie take? I’m not planning to eat them by the truckload, just as some extra sides for dinner so I can avoid splurging on extra bread or rice.
    Peen wrote: »
    Don't avoid potatoes and yams, just don't think of them as vegetables. They're plenty nutrient dense but they're also calorie dense so treat them like a bread or pasta and portion accordingly and you'll be fine.

Now corn is a garbage vegetable, corn you can safely avoid. And I think carrots are sweet and gross but that is an opinion. Everything else is fine.

That’s a bummer: corn is one of the few veggies I enjoy.

Are you saying it’s garbage based on preference or on a purely nutrional basis?

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    The back of my heels hurt every day after waking up. Today is the first day that pain didn't go away throughout the day. It's probably because I started running a month or so ago, but man it sucks. I had just made it up to 4 miles every other day.

iNbTQy9l.jpg

Does that mean I don’t have to bother adding them to MFP’s daily calorie take? I’m not planning to eat them by the truckload, just as some extra sides for dinner so I can avoid splurging on extra bread or rice.

You should still add them, but all in all, they add very little to your daily caloric intake. It could still be the difference between being under your calories or over if you're eating a lot of them.

Corn is high carb in general, it's a cereal just like wheat and rye. You should avoid cereals during weight loss (especially breads) and stick with other veggies and meat. You can still eat it, sure, but it's going to start eating up your calories much more quickly. I think an ear of corn is equivalent to like 5-8 cups of broccoli.

Corn has a ton of sugar and not much in the way of redeeming qualities. I mean it's fine but it's no good as a vegetable, nutritionally.

Generally if you stick with green leafy veggies, you can get a LOT of nutrients for very very very few calories.

I also like to include squash (with pasta, in a pasta sauce, in a curry) because it's offers a lot of bulk for not a lot of calories. Broccoli and asparagus are also very tasty. Green beans are a really good and healthy side dish.

Sweet potatoes I consider a very starchy treat - they're packed with nutrients and very good for you, but they're calorie dense.

iNbTQy9l.jpg

You should still add them, but all in all, they add very little to your daily caloric intake. It could still be the difference between being under your calories or over if you're eating a lot of them.

Corn is high carb in general, it's a cereal just like wheat and rye. You should avoid cereals during weight loss (especially breads) and stick with other veggies and meat. You can still eat it, sure, but it's going to start eating up your calories much more quickly. I think an ear of corn is equivalent to like 5-8 cups of broccoli.

Bread is maybe the one thing I could never give up on.

For one thing it’s what I bring to work every day (sandwiches). If it matters I do stick to honey wheat bread, which is a mite lower in calories to other types of bread (tastes better too). And as sides go I can’t resist rolls, toast or other bread-like things.

edited September 2017
    Tell me about it. I miss bread.

It's fine, just watch your intake. Broccoli is an easy veggie to work in and cook with for starters if you don't do it a lot. It's pretty forgiving as long as you don't boil it to mush.

bowen on
    Try to move into whole grain bread (always check the label first to make sure it's actually better for you than what you're currently eating). Either whole wheat or oatmeal bread or something along those lines.

If you like wraps, I've found that I can get my ratio of protein and veggies much higher if I use a wrap instead. Some wraps are 200 calories which defeats the purpose of swapping over...but there are some that are whole wheat and only 50 calories for a wrap that is the same size, and I think they taste fantastic. Just an option if you're interested! I used to be solidly addicted to breads and pastas myself, but over the years I've managed to balance them out much better in my diet. I still have a bagel or a croissant every morning for breakfast, but that's the one thing that I've told myself I can work around for the rest of the day if I need to. I need my morning carbs! :P

This is the brand I really like. Ignore the dumb name and branding - they're really tasty! I know some people worry about high fiber whole grain things tasting like cardboard, and sometimes they do, but I found these to be excellent soft tortillas with a good flavor.

What sucks is there's no real good non-bread "platforms" for food.

Lettuce as a content delivery system is garbage.

Whole wheat wraps like those are the best of the worst. The spinach tortilla wraps I tried tasted like pencil shavings, do not recommend.

I think you're getting bad brands then, or something...I LOVE wraps. 8-)

I think you're getting bad brands then, or something...I LOVE wraps. 8-)

I think it was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Garden-Spinach-Herb-Wraps/dp/B00BKNEN18/

It was noxious. The Xtreme brand you linked has spinach ones though.. hm.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    What sucks is there's no real good non-bread "platforms" for food.

Lettuce as a content delivery system is garbage.

Whole wheat wraps like those are the best of the worst. The spinach tortilla wraps I tried tasted like pencil shavings, do not recommend.

Suzie's thin cakes

They are essentially super thin rice cake style things.

They make for some decent small sandwich stand ins, and in a double decker format no less.

Its not the best thing ever but it will get the job done.

I think I'd rather eat a little bit more calories in a wrap instead.

Dieting becomes a lot easier if you get rid of the idea of content delivery systems for food. Chicken can just be chicken.

.....yeah but if you want a sandwich most people aren't interested in throwing all their deli meat in a bowl.

That makes sense for like, a burrito or something, but having a wrap isn't the end of the world.

I have stopped having hamburger buns with veggie burgers though. I like 'em on their own just fine now, with some ketchup or mustard.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Just a couple vegetable comments. Phytonutrients tend to be color based, so try to get a variety of colors over the week (taste the rainbow).
    Cooking styles drastically affect the vegetable (both nutritionally and texturally). Some vegetables I wouldn't eat if they were boiled (I'm looking at you, brussel sprouts and beets) taste amazing when they're roasted.

I'll double down on what NightDragon said, squash is incredibly versatile and very nutritious and filling and it tastes great.

This is not healthy but I've made a butternut squash macaroni and cheese a few times and it's just killer.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    The back of my heels hurt every day after waking up. Today is the first day that pain didn't go away throughout the day. It's probably because I started running a month or so ago, but man it sucks. I had just made it up to 4 miles every other day.

You shouldn't be pounding on your heels. Don't stomp

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I'm bearish on fitness apps generally, but today my coach replied to a check in comment that I'm always hungry with a request to know exactly what I'm eating and BAM here it is bro.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So the breakfast joint I go to every morning makes a dope breakfast sandwich that's 2 egg whites, Turkey bacon, and cheddar on an English muffin... It's pretty much right on point for my macro balance, trading that for my normal bacon egg and cheese is going to make my day so much fuckin easier to balance out.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I just finished run 2 of week 5 in the Couch to 5k podcasts that @Liiya was nice enough to link me to. It was a 5 minute brisk walk, 8 minute jog, 5 brisk walk, 8 jog and cool down 5 minute brisk walk.

Next one is warm up then a straight 20 minute jog. It will be.. interesting.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »

You just started running a month ago and are up to 4 miles every other day? Goddamn. I don't know how far I've gone after 4.5 weeks but nothing close to 4 miles. Good on you! Sorry about your heels.

I gained a pound two weeks ago, which is pretty much my fault for getting lax on MFP.

Followed it again religiously last week, using the treadmill every day, and I haven’t managed to lose that pound nor gain anymore after weighing myself this morning.

I’m now a bit concerned: should I just weigh myself every day? if MFP isn’t as accurate as some people claimed, is there a more accurate calorie tracker out there? Or should I just use MFP and offer a wider berth of remaining calories per day?

I’m already starving myself here, cutting things even further could be tough.

Nooo, don't weigh yourself every day. That way madness lies, there's too much daily fluctuation with water and other stuff. If you feel like you're starving and you're within your goal calories and activity level, just keep it up! Sometimes your body is stubborn about dropping fat, it worked very hard to accumulate it and winter is coming, but just stay consistent and it'll drop. Also if you already feel like you're starving then trying to drop calories more is just a recipe for cheating and self-recrimination and that's never good.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    On the other hand I lean more towards the idea of weighing every day and sticking it onto a spreadsheet that plots a rolling average and just worrying about where the trend heads over time rather than the individual data points.

• SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    I second Peen - weighing yourself each day can lead to incredible frustration and second guessing of your diet.

I weigh myself every day, but I have a scale that notes it down on my phone. I don't even look at the number until the end of the week when I take an average.

MFP's calorie tracking is actually pretty good (it honestly depends how good you are at tracking), it's their suggestions about your macros that are dog shit.

I've FINALLY passed the 15 lb. mark! Down 15.4 lbs as of today :D

It has been going maddeningly slow lately...I think I might be hitting a plateau? But I calculated that I've burned ~54,000 calories more than I've consumed over the last 6 months, which is a huge number! And I know it's not an exact science that gives an exact number but let me have this goddammit

Also realized that I'm over the halfway mark now, just have another 11.2 lbs. to go before I hit my goal. I can also fit into my super nice fall pantalones again. I need to remember my accomplishments and not feel disappointed that I haven't done more.

Yay for progress!! :D

• NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Snuggles: I weigh myself everyday because I go crazy off the wagon if I don't. However, something as simple as water retention or time of day can change your weight by up to 5 pounds in a few hours.

I've found my fitness pal to be great for calorie tracking. Issues for me are around it's suggested calories burnt for exercising which it seems to be poor at. I've usually found when people have problems with the calorie tracking its due to eye balling food instead of weighing and measuring.

Starving yourself is likely a problem. You may crave things (grains for me) but you shouldn't feel super hungry. You should have a pretty normal amount of hunger.

While it may not be your goal, to spin things positively, even if not losing weight, any week you keep the weight off, particularly while exercising is a week you're doing better than the majority. So don't stress so much.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So what's the consensus on multivitamins, fish oil and probiotics. I heard that your body would rather absorb these things from food versus pills and the excess is wasted, but I don't know what to trust anymore when it comes to this stuff.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    yeah just eat a good variety of foods with a selection of fresh veggies and fruits, plus some fish now and then if you're into that, and you're golden

This discussion has been closed.