As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Oh man, those are both great, I really like the face sculpt on that stormcast too, might pick one up just to paint/stick in warhammer quest.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They're apparently "exclusive to the set", but I doubt that will last for long.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    They'll probably be pretty pricey if they get their own boxes, if the betrayal at Calth and silver tower single packs are anything to go by. Trawling eBay will still be the best way to pick them up.

I wonder what I could use the sigmar guys for in 40k. All their models are so cheap to pick up from people almost giving them away after buying starter sets for chaos stuff.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    They're apparently "exclusive to the set", but I doubt that will last for long.

Either way people chop up sets and piece them out on ebay all the time.
    Still I would like to know more about those city sets
    fcp9cal45gmm.png

It's the general in this box I have
    tdpcavpiknwh.jpg

I kind of like it still but it shows my awful painting at the time

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Also adorable snail:

AoS-Blightwar-Image3ntoixs-e1503084982282.jpg

Deamon Charactes just have the most...character.

Hah, I love it. Also love that Horticulous' weapon is a giant pair of daemonic garden shears. The daemonic tree with all its little details is great as well.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    AoS-Blightwar-Image2ltbz-e1503084124293.jpg
    Lady Stormcast

That would make a pretty cool lady space marine.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    There's a lot to digest in this new general's handbook (plus the accompanying FAQs) some pretty reasonable looking points shuffling and changes to some of the more eyebrow raising battle traits/artefacts (which is to say Battle Brew) on top of all the new stuff.
    The new matched play missions look like interesting twists on the previous ones which look like fun, I'm excited to get to grips with it, though now I have to try and reshuffle what I actually want to try and take to the GT finals... Kinda hoping a daughters of khaine book drops before then...

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/06/citadel-paint-app-release-date-and-huge-competition-announced-sep-6gw-homepage-post-1/

To celebrate the release of this revolutionary painting app, we’re running a competition to give 5 early downloaders a free set of every single base, shade and layer paint in the Citadel range!

That’s well over 100 paints! What do you have to do to be in with a chance to win this fabulous prize, you ask?

What complex set of tasks must be completed in order to be found worthy of such bounty?

You just have to download it!

The earlier the better, as every day of the week after download, one lucky app-user will be informed that they have won. The first draw will be on Monday the 18th, continuing all week with the final draw on Friday the 22nd – so the earlier you download, the better your odds are of winning.

• Options
    I think I have settled on a GT Finals list, it is not very good, but with the BCR/Destruction hits I wasn't going to get near the top tables in any case, and, hey, it's not as if I have to hit a certain rank to qualify this time round or anything.

Cauldron of Blood (Witchbrew, General, Battleshock bubble)

Cauldron of Blood (Witchbrew, Phoenix Stone)
    Death Hag (Blade of Khaine)
    Bloodwrack Medusa
    30x Witch Aelves
    30x Sisters of Slaughter
    5x Doomfire Warlocks
    5x Doomfire Warlocks
    ((Bloodwrack Sisterhood Battalion))

Dreadlord on Black Dragon (Lance of Spite, Darkshield)
    ((Ally)

That's 1990 points and three drops, though I just learned that you can't put any allegiance wargear on allies, so I had to take the classic Quicksilver Potion off the dragon.
    Unfortunately this list does mean I have to build+paint another cauldron, 20 sisters of slaughter and 5 warlocks in, er, less than a month, plus practice all the new missions, oh boy...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Warhammer communty has a thing to create your own free city in the mortal realms.

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/make-your-own-free-city-the-easy-way-sep26gw-homepage-post-4/

Farhammer in the realm of Ghyran is a small human and aelvish outpost whose inhabitants are plagued by strange dreams ever since an artifact of the world that was was unearthed under its fundaments by the Stormcast Eternals that recently put up camp in the town.

honovere on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    This weekend was the Grand Tournament finals for AoS at Warhammer World, which I qualified for way back in January. I had to hastily paint up the army I wanted to use in the last few weeks cos the date snuck up on me, but I got a Daughters of Khaine list done in time to at least get a couple of practice games in beforehand.

cgJq7Hg.jpg

I got to play on the livestream again too, which was a lot of fun, I'll do a quick write-up of my games below for anyone interested, and post some pictures of the best painted army nominations and such.
    Game 1 - Duality of Death
    The first game was versus Stormcast Eternals using the Skystrike battalion which lets them drop down a bunch of stuff right in your face, my bloodshields blunted the damage of the alpha strike well enough, but I wound up tangled in combat long enough that by the time I'd dealt with all the Paladins I didn't have the time to move my heroes onto the protected objectives, so instead I opted for the more army-appropriate choice and went on a bloody rampage across the battlefield, tabling my opponent by still losing a Major Loss on victory points.
    I'll take it as a moral victory at least.

Game 2 - Total Conquest
    Here I was up against a Flesh-Eater Courts list, which is good cos it mostly means we're just going to be running at each other to get a good scrap on. Once we'd got our heads around the wriggly deployment map of this mission we set to trying to stab and/or eat as many of the opposing team as possible. My opponents lists didn't have any real tricks to it, so this was a pretty clean Major Victory for myself.

Game 3 - Battle for the Pass
    The last game of the first day put me up against a quite unusual Clan Skyre list, both in terms of design and modelling, using 40k skitarii bits to give them a bit more of a techy vibe. This was a game which was mostly won through poor luck on my opponents part, their Warp Lightning Cannon exploding itself on the 2nd turn, his large, tunneling Acolyte squads not showing up when needed, plus a bit of luck on my own side, making a questionable number of key 6+ ward saves to keep hold of one flank and swing the game. Another major victory.

yvan5Zl.jpg
    fyQTaqS.jpg

Game 4 - Starstrike
    First game of Sunday morning and I was going to be playing an enormous Skaven horde with over 160 models to chew through, and I would have to do it live on the internet. With two large model count armies this was one of those games where the first turns took almost the entire allocated length, and then the later turns took barely minutes. My opponent committed too early with their Stormvermin, allowing my Witch Elves to tear everything apart (Helped along tremendously by the 1 in 6 chance of them activating in combat 3 times in a single turn popping up thanks to my battalion!). Though I got pretty stab happy and made the mistake of heading off to kill the Screaming Bell, leaving enough space for them to sneak onto the objective enough to turn what would have been a sure-fire Major Win into a Minor Win instead.

Game 5 - Scorched Earth
    This is not a mission my army excels at, and sure enough it did no excel here, facing a mixed force of 18 Skyfires of Tzeentch and the classic 30 model Bloodletter murder squad I was mostly going through the motions. I got the turn 2 initiative roll and chanced an extended charge into everything, but couldn't do the damage enough to whittle the Skyfires down in one go, letting their deceptively good melee attacks shred my forces. A Major Loss.

Game 6 - Knife to the Heart
    The last game, against a Blades of Khorne list, this was a pretty cagey game, with neither of us wanting to get too close, too soon, which basically meant a Major Win was impossible as the first few turns were spent barely moving. I pushed up into their territory eventually, but it was a pretty protracted affair. In the end we called the game at a Minor Loss for myself, but in retrospect if I had done the maths a little more carefully I should've played through the last turn to steal kill points to turn to a Minor Win, ah well, I was pretty tired at this point!

Here are some of the Best Painted Nominations. I did get on the shortlist for Best Painted, but not through to the actual voting round, which, when you look at the competition, is perfectly fair. I've put them in a spoiler cos they're pretty big.
    0WU4mu5.jpg
    3cqwCHP.jpg
    SYMZ1hc.jpg
    TsICJn1.jpg
    weqmqCx.jpg
    Qkv0JCU.jpg
    4gL0ap6.jpg
    DzjC645.jpg
    IK2MB4V.jpg
    oMmjo0N.jpg
    wMjPRyv.jpg

In the end I wound up 40th out of 90, which is certainly better than I expected with an army I've played all of 6 times beforehand! Though if I had been thinking more of final rankings and not made those more abstract mistakes in games 4 and 6 I could've been ~24th, but that's always the way when you look back at it I suppose!
    Either way I had a great time and played some good games, maybe I'll try again next year.

Oh, also the overall winner had the very cool turquoise army in the best painted showcase, and it is by no means any thing like one of the traditional 'power lists', more like one of the older mixed Order lists that people were saying had trouble keeping up with the newer books and units, so it's cool to see that sort of thing doing well.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Nice rundown.

Imgur should work fine for embedding.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Anyone looking at Shadespire? My group is getting quite hype for its release. Ticks a lot of boxes as something I've been looking for in a game for a while.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Anyone looking at Shadespire? My group is getting quite hype for its release. Ticks a lot of boxes as something I've been looking for in a game for a while.

I'm getting a store copy of it and will probably fiddle with it on Wednesday (if I'm allowed to do so that is).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I'm pretty interested in it!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I got to have a look at it in action during the GT finals, looks pretty neat, I'm definitely going to grab a box.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Damn, I thought I was being all unique and cool making my Clan Skryre army out of Ad Mech bits

*kicks rocks*

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

When Skaven get a release (there is art), I'll probably become very interested but until then....

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    @Dr_Keenbean and I could have previewed it at the Nova Open, but grognards drove us out during the Q&A.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm actually thinking of buying the Skeleton warband. Those are some great Skeletons.

• Options
    I am thinking about it since Xwing is kind of stuck in scraping the bowl for ships and I am looking for a quick small game to play other than MTG

But as my brother points out Necromunda is soon and ye old terrain needs to be found

• Options
    Well they at least explain how the game works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztLClAfNYw

• Options
    I picked up a copy of Shadespire and tried a quick little demo with it, seems neat, I haven't opened up the pack of extra cards to really delve into the deck-building element, seems like one of those games where you can pick up the basics pretty fast but actually getting good and playing well takes a lot of practice, all the components are pretty nice quality, though the game boards seem a little heavy on the graphics which can make it a little hard to spot the 'blocked tiles' sometimes, but not as bad as it was with Warhammer Quest by any means. I do wonder how much long-term support GW are planning for it though, it seems kinda like Blood Bowl in that regard where once you've bought the warbands you want then you're not going to need to buy anything else.

I was planning on building the models this weekend, but I have somehow lost my decades old modelling file, terrible, I shall have to get another one. They look nice on the sprues though, I like the textured, city themed bases they come with, a nice touch.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Re: ongoing support: one, the mothership is actually offering prize support to FLGS that operate tourneys which, if you’re at all familiar with GW's history is near-miraculous on its own and, two, don’t tell anyone but Shadespire is actually secretly a CCG; there will be additional ploys and upgrades available plus I would bet on customisable squads at some point. At the very least additional teams for each faction once they’ve got the first batch out.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    A non-collectible strategic card game like Netrunner mixed with Silver Tower mixed with miniatures is like clicking the check all box at the bottom of my list of jams.

• Options
    Still I am going to wait and see what other units or forces come out for Shadespire
    I am not quite sold on undead and well the Khrone minis don't beckon to me

• Options
    At the very least we know the undead and ironjawz stuff is next, and then there's art/fluff for a fyreslayer and skaven gang in the rulebook.
    After that I'd imagine it will depend on sales and interest.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Edit: nevermind, just a bit of rambling nonsense.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    They’ve basically confirmed the first 8 factions, as they said they playtested all 8 together:
    Stormcast, Khorne, Skellingtons, Orcs
    Then, early Jan we’re meant to be getting
    Skaven, Fireslayers, Stormcast (different type of SC?) and Khorne (Heavy warriors dudes, heard something about a flesh hound too).
    So, honestly, double SC and double Khorne in the first 8 sounds pretty dull, although a flesh hound sounds kinda boss.

Anyway, played 3 games of Shadespire today! Khorne get the shit kicked out of them pretty easily, it seems!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Well heavy old Chaos Warriors with a Flesh hound would be neat
    I know very little about AOS' lore and what the Stormcast are

I see from this part of art what's expected for squads or warbands or whatever you want to call them
    woau0zpuv9lc.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I am very interested in the orruk/skaven warband but I don't want to have to buy the starter to get the board and the general use cards. Something about khorne models just doesnt do it for me, I like painting stormcast but I really don't want more stormcast at this point. I feel like my saving grace is that skaven wont be out until jan at the earliest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    There are bound to be bits sellers you can get the board/components from, considering you can run the various warbands as separate special units in AoS.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    You can get the complete silver tower game minus the minis for like 20 bucks from bits sites, this one should be pretty cheap too. You wave around unique sculpts and the bits sellers start salivating.

• Options
    I guess the second wave of Khorne/Stormcast will be those ranger-style Stormcast and the heavier Khorne infantry (Blood warriors and such) so kind of a role reversal from the gangs in the main box, I suppose. Some other factions would've been nice, I wonder if they're worked out much of a new aesthetic for AoS Aelves yet, but, hey, maybe we'll get a lady Khornate model so Valkia has someone to pal around with or something.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Shadespire is really good you guys!

Also the general consensus seems to be that Stormcasts have a large advantage out of the box but I won my first two games as Khorne so clearly I'm amazing at it.

I can see people knowing their Khornate lore and beserker charging forwards into a scrum, but the Khorne guys fold quickly and you really need to be more tactical than that. Use your increased mobility and numbers to play keep away until you get a juicy chance to strike and hopefully take a Stormcast out. As the Khorne guys need multiple hits to kill a Stormcast (before upgrades) and defending is the way they power up, you really need to concentrate on taking them out one by one rather than spreading the hits.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Some changes are coming....
    Meanwhile, in the Mortal Realms, something dark is gathering, and the age of hope is drawing to a close. Just look at the new Warhammer Age of Sigmar logo:

https://youtu.be/PFIse401_iI
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I don't even know why I bother watching GW teasers like these. Total nontent.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Maybe we'll get a lady Khornate model so Valkia has someone to pal around with or something.

Well, not Khorne necessarily, but I wasn't far off!

ibau5dlz6h59.png

Obviously the plate bikini is always a silly look, but I guess it kinda matches the look of the Darkoath Chieftain. She could stand to look a little more grizzled imo, but the paintjob can fix that.

But, yeah, it's definitely nice to see GW more involved and actually doing ads and promos and stuff, but some of them are not very exciting...

• Options
    The model's really well painted but it makes her skin look like a porcelain doll.

She actually has at least one big scar on the other hand.

If the darkoath turn into a whole faction in the quality of the first two models it would look so much better than the current barbarian kits.

• Options
    Both Darkoath sculpts are cool, but what little is written about them and their design screams “generic Barbarian”.
    I have faith GW will put some kind of AoS spin on that concept. Will be interesting to see what it is.

This discussion has been closed.