As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Me, An Intellectual [chat]

1939495969799»

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So they've been filming and interviewing people at the bar the past couple of weeks
    One of those HGTV/TLC/Whatever shows is interested in using the bar for one of those rennovation shows
    I hope they do it, we need it bad.

There are a lot of unhappy folks after those shows come through.

steam_sig.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    May Payne 3 was like 60GB in a time when games in general were 6GB.

I remember spitting out coffee and fainting when I saw the file size.

PSN: Honkalot
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    the youtube stuff is interesting to me cause like

previously if you wanted to make some kind of video media you'd need to clear some rather high barriers with distribution companies
    but, when you did like, everything was agreed to, you have contracts, you have rules

nowadays you can distrubute nearly anything you make to anyone with internet access for free, but there are no rules and it's subject to the whims of whoever's in charge of your platform

and you can't really just go self-distribute, I mean you can but the distribution channel remains just as important now as it did then

big money always wins, and now they're winning even harder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3snVCRo_bI

"Why they aren't your friends"

Why did anyone think they ever were? They're a business, not a charity

Because certain people think businesses are the end all be all of what's good for us. Or believe the hype put out by "moral" companies.

Trust the big company, they will do the right thing etc.

Now a lot of us know that this isn't true. But there are a lot of folks who still think that many businesses aren't trying to actively fuck them as hard as possible.

I tend to put more stock in companies that charge money for their services and offerings, because they are at least up front with their profit mechanism.

Google and Facebook are my least trusted companies by a fucking mile. As much as I like Apple's offerings and I trust they aren't doing fuckery with my data, I don't think they have my best interests at heart or anything - they are trying to make a buck.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hey chat, if you google the word "snake" you can play snake now

Time to see how rusty my game is from the old Apple 2 days...

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Youtube is practically a monopoly for many forms of streaming. Monopolies abusing their massive market power is pretty much what you expect them to do.

Couscous on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MP3 also had a really cool section I haven't scene mirrored anywhere else where they played a song that adjusted the music to how far you made it in the section. Effectively trying to sound track a video game shooting to actually match up with gameplay. It was rather awesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it was ever people thinking youtube was benevolent

but like, it democratized things somewhat and opened access to people who would never be able to produce the content they do now

so I think people just thought of it as good because it had some good effects

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I just rembered I'm backing the Cortex Prime RPG kickstarter

I wonder if I can download a preproduction PDF of the rules

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    All companies sell your shit. Some just mask it more than others.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    all of the youtubers (let's play people) that were making their fortunes of youtube moved to twitch anyways

most of them admit they make way more now on twitch, and they can make more involved content

though I guess you have to police yourself more if you're a toxic gamer/nazi (I GOTTA RIDE THIS MEME OKAY)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    all of the youtubers (let's play people) that were making their fortunes of youtube moved to twitch anyways

most of them admit they make way more now on twitch, and they can make more involved content

though I guess you have to police yourself more if you're a toxic gamer/nazi (I GOTTA RIDE THIS MEME OKAY)

So I should not put on this white robe for my next stream?

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    yet when I put all my tastes, preferences, search history, poop schedule, etc. up for sale on ebay no one's buying

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

nah it's cool just tell us you're all about exercising your right to free speech

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Is there a hat included or are you just cosplaying as Gandalf?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    All companies sell your shit. Some just mask it more than others.

I disagree with this standard in which all companies are bad. Some engage in much worse practices than others and lumping them all together is just intellectually lazy.

Some companies use hyper-targeted demographics of who you are, what you like, and what you believe, and have such lax policies on tracking ad buys that they allow access to these demographics to foreign political adversaries.

Some companies offer pretty much all their flagship services for free because it lets them gather said demographics.

Some companies engage in flagrantly illegal activity, ala Enron, etc.

Some are massively incompetent, like Equifax.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    all of the youtubers that were making their fortunes of youtube moved to twitch anyways

Twitch is still mostly live streaming gaming and recordings of previously live streamed stuff, right? The non-gaming video creators or the non-live streaming video game creators are still reliant on Youtube to get their eyeballs on their videos.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    The obvious solution is to poison the well by making sure that most of what companies track is misinformation

nah it's cool just tell us you're all about exercising your right to free speech

Okay I wrote free speech in the shape of this cool windmill design on it

Is there a hat included or are you just cosplaying as Gandalf?

200px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978_film%29_-_Gandalf_the_White.jpg

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The obvious solution is to poison the well by making sure that most of what companies track is misinformation

I'm a 73 year old woman from wyoming named Winston Bartholomew Jones.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I like that I can make videos and put them on YouTube for free.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

For some people the YouTube format made more sense because things were produced episodically and not streamed live -- I was subbed to a warhammer 40k channel through YouTube to see weekly videos of their games and book reviews and so on

It was very convenient, youtube *shakes fist*

To be fair, I don't think it was illegal for facebook to sell ads on their platform to Russia.

But it should be, because it is illegal on the radio, on TV, in print, etc. and the internet has clearly risen to that level of presence in peoples' lives.

Shit should be regulated.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I like that I can make videos and put them on YouTube for free.

Yeah, it's mostly fine for that

But they've built an environment where it's possible to make a living doing that

And they are now* screwing with that

*They've been doing it a while but you know what I mean

edited September 2017
    And facebook/everyone needs to have a human actually approving the ad buys so that when a bunch of racists Like a racial slur, an ad buyer can't use that as a term for direct marketing.

SniperGuy on
    japan wrote: »

That only works if the misinformation devalues the information they can sell instead of just being treated as accurate despite everybody knowing it is shit.

People pointing to monthly page views as a meaningful metric, views that count people who watched the video for two seconds before pausing it, bots viewing tons of ads to drive up revenue, etc.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    The trainwreck job I've been working on has me dreading checking my email

I've just checked it and it turns out all work added to the document management system today, but before an as yet undetermined time this morning has been lost

Guess what I spent all morning doing

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    the youtube stuff is interesting to me cause like

previously if you wanted to make some kind of video media you'd need to clear some rather high barriers with distribution companies
    but, when you did like, everything was agreed to, you have contracts, you have rules

nowadays you can distrubute nearly anything you make to anyone with internet access for free, but there are no rules and it's subject to the whims of whoever's in charge of your platform

and you can't really just go self-distribute, I mean you can but the distribution channel remains just as important now as it did then

big money always wins, and now they're winning even harder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3snVCRo_bI

"Why they aren't your friends"

Why did anyone think they ever were? They're a business, not a charity

Because certain people think businesses are the end all be all of what's good for us. Or believe the hype put out by "moral" companies.

Trust the big company, they will do the right thing etc.

Now a lot of us know that this isn't true. But there are a lot of folks who still think that many businesses aren't trying to actively fuck them as hard as possible.

OTOH, they're businesses, not mustache twilling villians

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hrm. These Chicken teriyaki bento boxes also have sushi. A pleasant surprise.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I did too much meal prep this week and none of it is a teriyaki bento box.

I have failed miserably.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I just rembered I'm backing the Cortex Prime RPG kickstarter

I wonder if I can download a preproduction PDF of the rules

I backed it too.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.4

@RMS Oceanic will create the new thread
    @Couscous is backup

This discussion has been closed.