As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C and D Drive Saving Issues

StragintStragint Do Not GiftAlways DeclinesRegistered User regular
So desktop that I bought has a weird thing going on. It is supposed to have 2TB of storage but for some weird ass reason it splits it between the C and D drives. The C drive only has 110GB of space while the D drive has 1.78TB of space. It is starting to become a very large issue.

I've already went into the computer settings and switch it so everything should go through the D drive but stuff will still go to the C drive. I don't really know what to do at this point. I cannot extract files apparently, installing games has become an issue, and it is just really frustrating.

How can I fix this?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that the OS is installed on the smaller partition?

If this is the case, you can set up Steam to install games on the D: drive and you should be able to do the same with Origin and whatever Blizzard's service is called.

The only other option that won't cost you money that I can think of is to reinstall Windows (or whatever OS you're using) and partition the C: drive to take up the entire HD. Or you could always drop $150 on an SSD and install your OS on it, leaving the 2TB drive for everything else. This would be the more sensible option, as running an OS off a 2TB drive can be a bottleneck.

Other people will likely have better options than this, but it's a start.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, it sounds like your drive is partitioned into two pieces. You might have a bit of a pain of a time fixing the partitions. The easiest way is to completely reinstall your system, deleting both partitions and turning the now unpartitioned space into one large volume. You'll lose whatever data you have if you don't back it up externally beforehand.

You might be able to fix the partitions without reinstalling from scratch. Type "disk management" in the windows search. This should launch the disk management utility. It should show your 2 tb drive split into pieces (most likely 3 pieces: the C drive, the D drive, and a recovery partition). You might be able to delete your D drive (which will cause all data on it to be lost, so back it up to something first) and then extend the c drive into the now unallocated space. Fair warning, this might not work. If there is a recovery partition physically between the c and d drives you might not be able to extend c because the unallocated space needs to be adjacent to the drive you want to extend.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    It shows a D drive, then Disk 0 partition 1, 2, 3, 4, and then the C drive.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Can you screenshot it?

• Options
    uodlymkx6ctz.png

• Options
    if you click on C what shows up on the bottom section?

• Options
    t6hwexdo920j.png

• Options
    Ah, your c drive is an entirely separate disk. Based on it's size I'd guess it was an SSD. Not much you can do here outside of upgrading the actual drive.

• Options
    Ah, that is a bit of a bummer. Descendant said it would be about $150 for an SSD but is it an easy thing to do?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    What kind of computer do you have?

It probably has enough sata ports to just add in another drive, but you can always just swap the 100gb one for a bigger one.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ That is a good drive for a good price.

Edit: You'll want to reinstall windows onto the new drive. You'll need a copy of windows on a usb key or something similar. If your computer didn't come with one, you can make your own by downloading the media creation tool from microsoft.

LD50 on