As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I have a theory on how this season ends
    Janet as we know was stolen for Michael's experiment. They never get to tell her it's the bad place. I think that she'll find out activate some kind of alert and we'll get a set up for the real good place to come in and see what's going on.

Interesting! Though you may be a bit off a bit off...
    Her dialog indicates she's aware she's in The Bad Place but she's forbidden to say anything about it other than play audio.
    As Michael explains in the finale, Janet was stolen from the Good Place. That means she can’t technically lie — and she doesn’t. In the pilot episode, the Bad Place is the one topic she can’t tell Eleanor and Chidi about, aside from that one recording of nightmarish screaming, which presumably comes from another neighborhood.

After the giant shrimp attack, Michael tells the group, “There’s obviously something wrong with this neighborhood. We don’t know where it came from, how long it will last, or what caused it. Janet, what do we know?” Janet’s response is meant to be obtuse, but it’s also accurate: “We do know where it happened: here.”

Similarly, when Michael and Janet examine the sinkhole in episode six, he asks her, “Janet, could you see what’s wrong?” Janet’s response: “Everything.”

In the finale, when Jason thinks he has to go to the Bad Place, he tells Janet, “I’ll miss you so much babe, promise you’ll visit?” Janet responds, “I will not, it is literally impossible for me to do that.” That’s because she’s already there.

Which suggests she's been reprogrammed by Michael to prevent her from freaking out about being in the Bad Place, as well as keep the four in the dark as much as possible. But Michael didn't account for everything. The series creator has said before that the Medium Place Eleanor and Jason fled to was the actual Medium Place, yet it was Janet that was able to take them there. So it's very possible that Janet will encounter/do something unexpected and freak out. We do know that Janet apparently "goes off the damn rails" this season.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So I have a theory on how this season ends
    Janet as we know was stolen for Michael's experiment. They never get to tell her it's the bad place. I think that she'll find out activate some kind of alert and we'll get a set up for the real good place to come in and see what's going on.

Interesting! Though you may be a bit off a bit off...
    Her dialog indicates she's aware she's in The Bad Place but she's forbidden to say anything about it other than play audio.
    As Michael explains in the finale, Janet was stolen from the Good Place. That means she can’t technically lie — and she doesn’t. In the pilot episode, the Bad Place is the one topic she can’t tell Eleanor and Chidi about, aside from that one recording of nightmarish screaming, which presumably comes from another neighborhood.

After the giant shrimp attack, Michael tells the group, “There’s obviously something wrong with this neighborhood. We don’t know where it came from, how long it will last, or what caused it. Janet, what do we know?” Janet’s response is meant to be obtuse, but it’s also accurate: “We do know where it happened: here.”

Similarly, when Michael and Janet examine the sinkhole in episode six, he asks her, “Janet, could you see what’s wrong?” Janet’s response: “Everything.”

In the finale, when Jason thinks he has to go to the Bad Place, he tells Janet, “I’ll miss you so much babe, promise you’ll visit?” Janet responds, “I will not, it is literally impossible for me to do that.” That’s because she’s already there.

Which suggests she's been reprogrammed by Michael to prevent her from freaking out about being in the Bad Place, as well as keep the four in the dark as much as possible. But Michael didn't account for everything. The series creator has said before that the Medium Place Eleanor and Jason fled to was the actual Medium Place, yet it was Janet that was able to take them there. So it's very possible that Janet will encounter/do something unexpected and freak out. We do know that Janet apparently "goes off the damn rails" this season.
    Honestly, I was unconvinced that that dialogue implies Janet knows where she is. She very well may, but those answers aren't super solid proof.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Regarding Janet, and the whole Good Place/Bad Place thing
    We find out in the s1 finale that the motivation behind a deed IS the deciding factor of whether something counts or not, which means that Eleanor's counter may have been correct, and her score shot up when she volunteered to go to the Bad Place to make everyone elses lives better, which would have actually made her eligible to go to the Good Place, if not for Janet suggesting the third option of going to the neutral place. It's brilliant, because an argument could be made for both sides. If she knew this was the Bad Place all along, her suggestion to instead hijack the train would just be a way to avoid the revelation, since she would know they're already in the Bad Place. If she doesn't know, and hadn't made the suggestion, which Michael would have no way of knowing whether or not she would, and Eleanor HAD gotten on the Bad Place train; WOULD she have been able to go to the actual Good Place instead?

• Options
    ...awww, I wanted to see more of
    Eleanor and Tahani as soulmates.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So that was basically hilarious. I think D'arcy Carden has TV's best line/laugh ratio right now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I forking love that they covered almost every conspiracy theory and projection of the series' future from this thread in a single episode.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I forking love that they covered almost every conspiracy theory and projection of the series' future from this thread in a single episode.

Yes it was very very very good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    At this rate, the show is going to hit some kind of plot advancement singularity.

I love it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    This was a fantastic episode. I expected to be dragged down so much but them slowly revealing things but nope we are on the fast train to great television town and I couldn't be more happy.

To be succinct
    A lot of shows would have spent a whole season getting to this point.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The interesting thing about Eleanor is that her entire character is "bad" because she's cynical about human nature and self-sabotages to avoid getting hurt.

Which makes her a perfect foil to Michael, because she has skepticism which Chidi and Tahani lack.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    i'm glad they didn't waste time in getting to the only logical place the show can get to from here

they had to do this episode but nothing that happened in it was super surprising. looking forward to the next one. i guess shawn visits and they all have to pretend they're being tortured?

i feel like at some point they have to go on the run from hell and we get to see some more of whatever the rest of the cosmos is

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Right now, I have just one ask of the show: don’t jump the shark, don’t suffer from a long, slow fall from grace. When you run out of ideas, just end it. Leave us with perfection.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they taunted us with the tahani eleanor

they t a u n t e d u s

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Right now, I have just one ask of the show: don’t jump the shark, don’t suffer from a long, slow fall from grace. When you run out of ideas, just end it. Leave us with perfection.

And maybe also some cocaine, please?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

And maybe also some cocaine, please?

Anything? Some ground up asprin?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My favorite thing is that they commited to a throw away joke from the season finale.
    The almond milk thing

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    My favorite thing is that they commited to a throw away joke from the season finale.
    The almond milk thing

I love that it is the thing chidi always immediately considers his worst act.

• Options
    also did medium place lady's house get way better?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sleep wrote: »
    I mean, it got a lookin' hole now

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It's possible that by helping them she's gotten some perks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

But still no cocaine.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

But still no cocaine.

And still no Cannonball Run 1.

• Options
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the Jared from Subway account?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Holy shit this episode. I was really worried about how they were going to make last season reveal last an entire season; this is so much better and we should have seen it coming. The Jason epiphany was so great. ". . .oh this one hurts." I also did the "maths" on their time there. . .yikes.

EDIT: Oh wow. That's two great Stone Cold Steve Austin jokes this week.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Holy shit this episode. I was really worried about how they were going to make last season reveal last an entire season; this is so much better and we should have seen it coming. The Jason epiphany was so great. ". . .oh this one hurts." I also did the "maths" on their time there. . .yikes.

EDIT: Oh wow. That's two great Stone Cold Steve Austin jokes this week.

Yeah the Jason epiphany was great.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    The "Sushi and the Banshees" sign made me laugh out loud for whatever reason.

• Options
    I decided to stop worrying.

This show has got it covered.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Holy shit, the Jared from Subway account?

I gasped at that one

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought that maybe the show would build to this point over the course of a season, but I am so happily surprised. They seem super on it, and aware of what story they want to tell as well as the medium they are using. Jason had me cracking up the entire time. They got a lot of mileage out of him being not the brightest bulb without being too mean about it.

My only complaint is we need more time with Eleanor and Tahani as soul mates. I love those two together for so many reasons. Not the least of which is the comical size difference. I really want to see how this all ends, and I think I will really like the ride if the first two episode are any indicator.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

they t a u n t e d u s
    Sorry, but that one probably lasted 3 days, tops, so it just would have been a repeat of other scenes where they're in conflict. Eleanor can only tolerate Tahani's pretentious, condescending attitude after Tahani is worn down and vulnerable like at the end of season 1 (note that Tahani is still mean in the montage, and in the last loop of the episode she still hates Tahani), and even in season 1 Tahani made a big frown when Eleanor said she might legitimately be into her.

But certainly don't let that stop you writing erotic fanfiction.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

they t a u n t e d u s
    Sorry, but that one probably lasted 3 days, tops, so it just would have been a repeat of other scenes where they're in conflict. Eleanor can only tolerate Tahani's pretentious, condescending attitude after Tahani is worn down and vulnerable like at the end of season 1 (note that Tahani is still mean in the montage, and in the last loop of the episode she still hates Tahani), and even in season 1 Tahani made a big frown when Eleanor said she might legitimately be into her.

But certainly don't let that stop you writing erotic fanfiction.

look here you i dont come to this forum to have my hopes belittle by an automated not-even-butler incapable of even the basics of self-preservation, i, being a forum denizen, have only my posts; i haev spread my posts under your feet; tread softly for u tread on my ship

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I decided to stop worrying.

This show has got it covered.

Yeah. Like, I assume that the current status quo as of the end of episode 3 is either going to last until the end of the season, mid season, the end of the next episode, the credits of the next episode, or things have already changed again and the show will go through eight more status quos before the next episode even airs. Probably one of those. Or maybe not.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My favorite line from this episode:
    Is there maybe a way we could throw Tahani further under the bus this time?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    My favourite line is
    Jason figured it out?! Yeah ,this is a real low point. This one hurts.
    - Michael after Jason figures out that its the bad place.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Wow, that was an excellent episode of television.

Someone needs to win an award for writing on this show.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    This might be the best written comedy TV series since Arrested Development. It operates on a lot of levels. I was worried after binging Season 1 that a weekly viewing wouldn't be as good. I was wrong.

• Options
    Well, i mean ideally there would be two or three episodes released per day.

But once a week works too, I guess.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    My favourite line is
    Jason figured it out?! Yeah ,this is a real low point. This one hurts.
    - Michael after Jason figures out that its the bad place.

“Oh no. It’s my only copy. Don’t.”

That line is right up there, especially given the delivery.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm glad
    theyre hopefully making Danson part of the crew, and realizing so quickly that he's just as screwed as they are. Real Eleanor would make such a good season villain.

Also Janet has to be, like, omnipotent at this point, if she is capable of learning and understanding more and more reach time she's rebooted.

Javen on