As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Unplugged 2017 - what we know so far

• Options
    ThatNerdyKevThatNerdyKev Director of Awesome Philly (ish)Registered User new member
    Beker wrote: »
    When do people who submitted panel ideas hear back if they are accepted or not? I'm sure there are A LOT to go through, but was just wondering if there was any kind of ETA? I'm already preparing just in case, but don't want to lock too much down without knowing!

Not sure we have any kind of ETA. I suspect they might be working on panels in the order of the PAXen, so there are 2 others before Unplugged. New things could always mix things up though. Sorry.

Thanks for the quick response and no worries! Just curious :)

• Options
    LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Approximately what time will the show end on Sunday? Will it be the same as other PAXen? Just want to make sure I give myself a reasonable amount of time to get to the airport.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    LedaXI wrote: »
    Approximately what time will the show end on Sunday? Will it be the same as other PAXen? Just want to make sure I give myself a reasonable amount of time to get to the airport.

We are planning the same hours as the other PAXen. Expo and most things closing\winding down at 6pm.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Just found out that Adam Savage and Michael Stevens are performing their Brain Candy show in Philly Sunday night at 8. Just in time to finish up at PAX then go stand in line to get in there if you're not immediately leaving to get home for Monday. I haven't seen it, but who doesn't like Adam from Mythbusters and Michael from Vsauce?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    hot off the internets
    new pax websites!
    http://paxsite.com
    http://unplugged.paxsite.com

the unplugged site is now a fully featured pax website with more real information!

• Options
    iamdrakeiamdrake Registered User new member
    Having just attended PAX West this last weekend, this is everything that I was missing this last weekend. If I had known this last PAX West was going to be like it was I would have saved up my money to go to PAX Unplugged instead.

• Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, did you make it over to the Olive 8 hotel at all? It was definitely small, but there was some serious tabletop action going on over there.

• Options
    WeWantTheFunkWeWantTheFunk Registered User new member
    When will the schedule go up? Itching to sign up for games.

• Options
    ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular

My guess would be mid-October.

mkf6ad9.png
  • Options
    QuarexQuarex Registered User new member
    edited September 2017
    matth06 wrote: »
    I meant boardgame auctions like Gen-Con has and Origins used to have. It's a great event.
    Tell me about it; Origins killing its auction guarantees I am done attending, considering it is my favorite part of Gen-Con and was my overwhelmingly favorite part of Origins too. Yes, I am sure they are just devastated to learn I am no longer attending. But the point is, I am hoping PAX Unplugged can fill my "but I REALLY want to go to at least one other convention besides Gen-Con!" needs, haha.

I am just happy to finally be attending a PAX; having lived near both Seattle and Boston I was repeatedly devastated that they sold out so quickly, particularly considering I was not used to the concept of conventions even being able to sell out.

Quarex on
  • Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular

The schedule will likely be made public about 3 weeks before the event.

Note however that, in general, events at PAX shows, including Unplugged, do not have pre-show signups. Signups for events and tournaments take place the morning they occur.

For the board game Tournaments area, I will be doing my best to keep everyone here informed of the exact details and format of every event, and be available to answer all questions.

• Options
    MoS TrixMoS Trix Registered User new member
    edited September 2017
    D&D AL is being run by The Role Initiative.
    Check out TRI's twitter feed, (at)_RoleInitiative, for more information on D&D at PAX Unplugged.

I can tell you the D&D Adventurers League season 7 Epic is scheduled for Saturday from 1 to 5pm.

Beyond the epic they are running AL games from 11 am to midnight on Fri & Sat, and 11am to 5pm on Sunday.

I don't know when anything else is going on, though.

mod edit: removed kickstarter

MoS Trix on
  • Options
    minibombmonminibombmon Registered User new member
    edited September 2017
    So I just received any email stating that the deadline for signing up for Omegathon was October 5th, however the connected link was just to the convention registration page. I did some google searching and grazed the forums and saw nothing about it, no info for signups on the main site either. Anyone here know how I can sign up?

minibombmon on
  • Options
    tinkrbell1437tinkrbell1437 Registered User regular
    So I just received any email stating that the deadline for signing up for Omegathon was October 5th, however the connected link was just to the convention registration page. I did some google searching and grazed the forums and saw nothing about it, no info for signups on the main site either. Anyone here know how I can sign up?

I also want to make sure I don't miss the Omegathon sign ups! Any info is greatly appreciated!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Add my hat to the looking for Omegathon signups! Are all registerants before October 5th just added to the randomly selected from pile?

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    If it's similar to how they handled it for West this year, everyone who bought passes will receive an e-mail asking if you would like to be considered for the Omegathon. Once you've filled out the attached form, then you'll be in the running.

Keep an eye on your inbox!

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Should we have received those already? I don't see anything.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Sorry about the confusing language. My understanding is that the email you recently got is intended to get people to get tickets now, as after Oct 5th they will start Omeganaught selections and anyone buying tickets after that will not be in the running. Since Unplugged tickets had no opt in check box when buying them (as South and some shows have) everyone who purchased the ticket on or before that day will get the Omegathon form email. The email verifies you want to opt in, asks for your phone number and some other information, and is used for the random selection of who to call.

Hope that makes sense. Keep an eye on your junk mail folder after the 5th, because they are mass emails they sometimes end up in there and the time frame for filling the form out is generally pretty short. Then after you do the form, keep your phone close and watch for a call from an unlisted number.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Cool, that makes a lot more sense, thanks!

• Options
    Omeganaut
    ftfy.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Omeganaut
    ftfy.

Until the invites are sent out, everyone's an Omeganaught ;)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm considering going to this for the L5R tournament. I note that that tournament has an additional entry fee in addition to the two days of passes you'd have to buy, which conflicts with the earlier info that there wouldn't be additional fees for tournaments. Can we expect that other events might also tack on additional costs?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm considering going to this for the L5R tournament. I note that that tournament has an additional entry fee in addition to the two days of passes you'd have to buy, which conflicts with the earlier info that there wouldn't be additional fees for tournaments. Can we expect that other events might also tack on additional costs?

The L5R Grand Kotei will be run by Cascade Games. Events run by Cascade Games (Magic, Pokemon, L5R, X-Wing, Star Wars Destiny, more) will have entry fees.
    A partial schedule of these specific Cascade Games-run events is online, including fees, can be seen at http://www.cascadegames.com/PAX-UP-17.html (Magic and Pokemon event listings are forthcoming now live!)
    The events Cascade Games runs at PAX events have significant prizes awarded to participants and winners.

Beyond the Cascade Games tables, PAX Unplugged will have large areas for Tabletop Tournaments (with PAX Unplugged 2018 medals awarded to winners), Miniatures, RPGs, Learn-to-Play area, and more. These sections will be run by-and-large by PAX staff (Enforcers), and in some cases game publishers and game industry folks. The schedule of these hundreds of free events will be made available soon.

Keep an eye out for this schedule, it will be released very soon!

Lackey on
  • Options
  • Options
    So hyped! Thanks for the notice!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mycombsmycombs Registered User new member
    Typo alert! Warmachines was spelled "wamachines" in the schedule
    http://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule?search=wamachine#

• Options
    sibyllsibyll Registered User regular
    This is my first PAX. Will there be any sort of coat check/baggage check at the convention center? I'm wondering if I have to ask the hotel to hold my bag before check-in on Friday, or whether I can go straight to the convention center and store it there.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There will be onsite coat/bag check for a small fee.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    If it's like other Paxen, there will be a decent line for coat check in the morning. If you can, you're probably better off asking the hotel to hold you baggage, that'll be free and even if it means an extra stop, it'll probably be faster than waiting on line.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Any word on when badges will go out?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Expect badges 2-3 weeks before the show. If it's a week 'til and still no badges, then get in contact with pax_questions@paxsite.com to see about getting those replaced.

• Options
    AwesomeSlothDadAwesomeSlothDad Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Expect badges 2-3 weeks before the show. If it's a week 'til and still no badges, then get in contact with pax_questions@paxsite.com to see about getting those replaced.

So, that sounds to me like badges should be going out within the next week or so...

• Options
    BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    Got badges in the mail today!

• Options
    Lanyards are given out at PAX? I think I saw they were at other PAXen.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yes

• Options
    alashuaalashua Dr Registered User regular
    Just got mine too :)

• Options
    I'm really curious about the digital swag bag. I'm not familiar with what's usually in a swag bag, as the only ones I've gotten from Wizard World included ads for sponsors and one time a comic. If it's just that, it makes sense to be digital. But from other PAX that I've heard of it's included things like the Transformers Dropmix promo card, oatmeal, etc.
    Mostly I just find it humorous and ironic that at Unplugged is when it's a digital bag. :biggrin:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    With it overlapping with desert bus (which supports child's play), is there a possibility there would be a place in the center broadcasting It? I remember at the first South there was a screen broadcasting magfest, because of overlap.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    With it overlapping with desert bus (which supports child's play), is there a possibility there would be a place in the center broadcasting It? I remember at the first South there was a screen broadcasting magfest, because of overlap.
    Hmm, maybe there could be something at the Child's Play booth Beker?

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe there could be something at the Child's Play booth Beker?

If we have Internet at our booth we could do that. Not sure if we will, we usually do not because we don't need it and it is expensive. Good thought though.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png