As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We all love Tom Petty

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Overall I didn't love the Traveling Wilburys, but they did provide an entry on one of my favorite oddly specific genres of music, songs about having sex with cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zjFp70esY

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm heartbroken for so many reasons today.

I was already feeling like everything was pretty pointless and grim and then I heard about Tom Petty.

But I remembered 'I won't Back Down" and the lyrics. They're pretty simple but they hit me hard. I had to bite back tears. "There ain't no easy way out. Hey, I will stand my ground. And I won't back down". Felt like I needed that.

So goddammit I'm gonna miss him but I'm thankful for his music. And really, he's not going anywhere.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This is hitting me a lot harder than I thought it would.

After Bowie, I thought like, well, there's my number one, it can't be worse than that.

But I've always linked Tom Petty really strongly to my dad. Like, yeah, he was his favorite, and that's a big part of it. But also my dad's a long haired old dude who brings his guitar to bonfires in the middle of the woods. When I was younger he would play me Tom Petty songs on that guitar. When I was a teenager I caught him smoking weed.

Tom Petty is who my dad wanted to be. Or at least he's who I've always assumed my dad wanted to be.

And my dad's still around.

But I can't help but feel that there's something there that's not going to be anymore.

Straightzi on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so TMZ (i know) is reporting that they don't know if he's passed. ABC also reports that his status is "unknown"

the hell is going on

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Don't you fucking do this to me.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Goddammit. I was just listening to 'Learning to Fly' yesterday. Why do I do this to myself.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Xehalus on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    According to TMZ, Petty is currently still clinging to life, but a chaplain has been called to his hospital room. The family apparently has a do not resuscitate order in place, and the singer is not expected to live throughout the day.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm heartbroken for so many reasons today.

I was already feeling like everything was pretty pointless and grim and then I heard about Tom Petty.

But I remembered 'I won't Back Down" and the lyrics. They're pretty simple but they hit me hard. I had to bite back tears. "There ain't no easy way out. Hey, I will stand my ground. And I won't back down". Felt like I needed that.

So goddammit I'm gonna miss him but I'm thankful for his music. And really, he's not going anywhere.

I wasn't sure until you posted this but now I am. I Won't Back Down is my favorite Tom Petty song.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Xehalus wrote: »

Refugee is a fucking powerhouse of a song.

#pipe on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Another great Tom Petty (and Prince) moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Hey, its my favorite live performance ever!

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Harrison's Son's face during the Prince solo should be preserved in some kind of metal sculpture

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    God

Fucking

DAMMIT.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Nononononononono

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Knob wrote: »
    Another great Tom Petty (and Prince) moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Hey, its my favorite live performance ever!

I love Tom Petty and this is some very sad news

I got to say that Queen at Live Aid is probably my favourite live performance.

Thetheroo on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is not ok

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I remember being a dumb middle school kid and "discovering" Tom Petty because VH1 played Mary Jane's Last Dance at least once every half hour, and me and my friends thinking it was so edgy and transgressive because we were like "Mary Jane is secretly DRUGS WHOA", and also the implied necrophilia in the music video I guess. Didn't really explore his work further until my 20s though, and it's been entirely too long since I've pulled out one of his albums for a listen.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I remember being a dumb middle school kid and "discovering" Tom Petty because VH1 played Mary Jane's Last Dance at least once every half hour, and me and my friends thinking it was so edgy and transgressive because we were like "Mary Jane is secretly DRUGS WHOA", and also the implied necrophilia in the music video I guess. Didn't really explore his work further until my 20s though, and it's been entirely too long since I've pulled out one of his albums for a listen.

Remarkably similar to how I got turned on to him, though I credit my Dad for first putting him on my radar like others here.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited October 2017
    I've listened to Tom Petty my whole life and several of my fondest memories happen to be set to some of his songs.

This hurts bad. Real bad.

Getting old sucks.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Man this day has fucking sucked, hasnt it? :(

Just heard Refugee on the radio, probably my favorite song of his

vEaRQgH.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The LAPD has said his death is not confirmed

Tom Petty is going to be fine.

6F32U1X.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Playback is the first and only box set I've ever purchased

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    today has not been great

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Saw him live just a few months ago and he and all the Heartbreakers fucking ROCKED. It seemed like he and they could go another 15 years!

I'm really glad I was able to see him live...

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I got to see him live at Red Rocks at about 18 and it was amazing. He rolled through again about three months ago and I passed, assuming I'd get a chance to see him again.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am legit upset about this.

God fucking damn it.

Someone check on Neil Young.

8406wWN.png
    I think it's over. I believe I heard they took him off life support but I'm still not sure.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    #pipe wrote: »
    Harrison's Son's face during the Prince solo should be preserved in some kind of metal sculpture

There’s a brief moment, right as Prince is coming out and about to start destroying, and Dhani Harrison just has this gleeful look of “oh fuck yes I am so wet for this right now” that is utterly priceless.

And Prince’s face as he’s just goddamned wailing, he looks like he is absolutely fucking everyone in the ears. This ain’t tender lovemaking, this is raw-dog sweat down your back fucking going on right here.

That’s a hell of a performance.

8406wWN.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Her naming that account “Dad Lives Matter” is uh, less great

But whatever she’s had a very bad day

6F32U1X.png
    #pipe wrote: »

There’s a brief moment, right as Prince is coming out and about to start destroying, and Dhani Harrison just has this gleeful look of “oh fuck yes I am so wet for this right now” that is utterly priceless.

And Prince’s face as he’s just goddamned wailing, he looks like he is absolutely fucking everyone in the ears. This ain’t tender lovemaking, this is raw-dog sweat down your back fucking going on right here.

That’s a hell of a performance.

It's my favorite live performance. I love that he falls into the crowd because HE'S FUCKING PRINCE AND SOMEONE WILL CATCH HIM.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Glib, but: that's not really an organization near the top of my trustworthiness list.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

Glib, but: that's not really an organization near the top of my trustworthiness list.

They were supposed to be the source of the original cbs report though, so if they aren't confirming now then who the hell knows what's going on

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Whether or not he's gone, Tom Petty's music has been...one of those foundational pieces of culture for me, almost without realizing it. When Bowie died, I remembered just seeing everyone naming their favorite Bowie song and just being overwhelmed by how many different answers there were, and how many of those I'd known and loved. I'm listening to Tom Petty right now, and there's a similar feeling there, where I'm just looking at all of these songs and slowly realizing just how much of my life has been sort of soundtracked by his music.

I've never sat down and tried to memorize the words to a Tom Petty song, but I bet I know all the words to more of his songs than I'd ever realized

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/-KJPP7GkuPU

One of my favorite Simpsons bits

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Whether or not he's gone, Tom Petty's music has been...one of those foundational pieces of culture for me, almost without realizing it. When Bowie died, I remembered just seeing everyone naming their favorite Bowie song and just being overwhelmed by how many different answers there were, and how many of those I'd known and loved. I'm listening to Tom Petty right now, and there's a similar feeling there, where I'm just looking at all of these songs and slowly realizing just how much of my life has been sort of soundtracked by his music.

I've never sat down and tried to memorize the words to a Tom Petty song, but I bet I know all the words to more of his songs than I'd ever realized

You know at least 17 Tom Petty songs by heart

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Since a lot of my other favs were already posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmFxgEGKH0

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://youtu.be/GMAmF2diYp0

just heard this for the first time on the radio. it's lovely and I am extremely sad now.

tKfL2Yd.png?1