As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    you are a monster

Halloween is boring. I can only get drunk and yell at people protesting unchristian behavior so many times, friend.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just came up with a costume idea that I think would be awesome to do, but I'm going to try to figure out how to do it:

A conspiracy board (Its something I always joke about)

Thinking I would do it so I could somehow wear it, with my face being in the middle (Maybe a question mark mask?).

alternatively: light blue button shirt, striped tie, khakis, and 36 hours without sleep

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the best thing about flatliners is that the depiction of things they seen from the other side haunting them is just grown ass adults being bullied by children

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

How the fuck have I never seen this before?

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm real excited for Halloween! I'm hoping to throw a party

I think I'm going to go as an X-Wing pilot this year? I figure I'll just buy the store one but then wear the Black Series Poe helmet

As a chubby white guy my best options for costumes are a Ghostbuster or Rebel Pilot, and I know too much about building my own, dope Ghostbuster costume to not just do that and spend way too much money

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just came up with a costume idea that I think would be awesome to do, but I'm going to try to figure out how to do it:

A conspiracy board (Its something I always joke about)

Thinking I would do it so I could somehow wear it, with my face being in the middle (Maybe a question mark mask?).

Oh a Murder Board!

My friend is a prop builder and has built a bunch of murder boards for movies and tv. he said its absolutely one of the funnest things to build.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Halloween is pretty cool.

I should watch The Witch again, that movie is so good.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society…

October 2nd.

Today was inspired more-or-less by my need to find something thematic, work-appropriate, and available to stream in Singapore without VPN. I know I’m not the only person who religiously watched Are You Afraid of the Dark? after school on Nickelodeon. For the younger contingent, though:

Are You Afraid of the Dark? was a series built around the premise of a secret club (the Midnight Society), whose members met up in the woods to tell scary stories to each other. The show then portrays the events of the spooky story. It’s spooky yet television appropriate! It’s got awkward teens who are thoroughly awkward! Plus, 90’s fashion is back in a big way, so if you’re looking for inspiration for your next totally boss Lisa Frank turquoise and purple party outfit, look no further.

The special effects are… okay, they’re kids’ TV special effects from the 90’s. It’s not impressive in that context, but the stories and quality otherwise hold up shockingly well! It’s good to find out that what to 8-year-old me was pants-pissingly terrifying (The Tale of the Frozen Ghost, man) is still at least pretty enjoyable today.

Also, this episode stars baby Ryan Gosling and I can’t stop laughing. (You really need to watch. I don’t want to spoil who the other guest star is but it’s TOTALLY WORTH WATCHING.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPOBqumjps

I don’t really feel like I should have to justify sharing anything by Eartha Kitt, ever, but if you want something on the lighter side to play at your Halloween party, hoooow abouuut… I Want to Be Evil.

Young Eartha Kitt was sooo fabulous. You really do yourself a disservice if you only know her from the song Santa, Baby - or as Catwoman, even though she makes a great Catwoman. Her albums are great if you have any fondness at all for the lounge sound of the 50’s. Which I do. She’s also stunning, and was politically active, AND Orson Welles called her “the most exciting woman in the world”! I don’t really know what that means coming from Orson Welles but it can’t be bad… probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS02GeKuWQ4

Annnd rounding today out:

The Farber Gravestone Collection is a collection of 13,500 images of pre-1800 American tombstones. They are mostly the work of a couple, Daniel Farber, and his wife, Jessie Lie Farber, with some added contributions from another couple. There's a good preface about meaning, ornamentation, style and dating, which can be found here. It includes information about various inscriptions, when the styles of epitaph gained and lost popularity, and what can be gleaned about society, health and mortality in various decades from correlating epigraphs and death records. Also, this guy:
    ...His Death was ∫udden premature awfull & violent;
    providentially Occa∫ion’d by the Fall of a Tree...
    John Stockbridge, 1768, Hanover, Massachusetts

T4wG49q.png

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ...His Death was ∫udden premature awfull & violent to see;
    providentially Occa∫ion’d by the Fall of a Tree...
    John Stockbridge, 1768, Hanover, Massachusetts

I want my epitaphs to rhyme!

For Halloween, I'm trying to decide if I should dress up as a dummy (ha-ha!) and lay in our yard to scare kids, or hang over our garage, which is right by the front door.

MichaelLC on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've probably seen some of those gravestones in person. Although though they don't seem to have any from my home town.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh hey, I guess you can't watch Are You Afraid of the Dark in the US on YouTube. Sorry gang! (You can't watch the new Star Trek on Netflix either, I hear.)

But it is all on streaming video for purchase on Amazon!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what I'm gonna do for HalloBirthday this year

I've got a wedding to attend the weekend before which is usually when I would celebrate in the past

Gonna see Run the Jewels in a couple of weeks though so that's something

CYpGAPn.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    you are a monster

Halloween is boring. I can only get drunk and yell at people protesting unchristian behavior so many times, friend.

Aww dude they do this in my town.

Like big signs, microphone and speaker on the sidewalk, yellin about fire and brimstone.

The fun part is that my town is legit filled with witches and Satanists, so we just mock them.

Sleep on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Halloween is my wedding anniversary, so obviously it is my favorite holiday

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Are You Afraid of the Dark? was a series built around the premise of a secret club (the Midnight Society), whose members met up in the woods to tell scary stories to each other. The show then portrays the events of the spooky story. It’s spooky yet television appropriate! It’s got awkward teens who are thoroughly awkward! Plus, 90’s fashion is back in a big way, so if you’re looking for inspiration for your next totally boss Lisa Frank turquoise and purple party outfit, look no further.

The special effects are… okay, they’re kids’ TV special effects from the 90’s. It’s not impressive in that context, but the stories and quality otherwise hold up shockingly well! It’s good to find out that what to 8-year-old me was pants-pissingly terrifying (The Tale of the Frozen Ghost, man) is still at least pretty enjoyable today.

I was so scared of Are You Afraid of the Dark. I don't even know why I watched it, it was just too scary.

I only remember one episode, though: the one where some kid gets trapped in a pinball machine.

In hindsight, I sometimes think that show wasn't as scary as kid me thought it was.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I don't think I've told the forums what my Halloween thing is this year.
    Halloween at Distraction

J1Du2o4.jpg?1

Are earthly worries bringing you down? Is your soul troubled?
    Join us for an illuminating evening of fun and fortune at Distraction. A one night only event for the holiday season, come and take a chance at glory. Short on funds? Don't fear, we don't have any need for traditional currency. Everyone has something worth losing.

Our patrons value discretion, so it is customary to come as someone other than yourself. Please note: If you do not impress, you will be redressed.

A complimentary bar and buffet are included in the evening's experience.

Come spin the wheel and lay down your cards.
    Your hosts do not wish to insult you, but past events have shown that this reminder is necessary: cheating will not be tolerated. So please don't insult us by being caught.

I've got a full sized roulette wheel and a craps table (with a set of carved bone dice), I've been working on a cocktail menu, and I'm partway through the construction of my wings. It's a lot of fucking work and I'm doing the party a week earlier than usual this year, so I'm beginning to feel the pressure, but I'm pretty excited for it.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I was so scared of Are You Afraid of the Dark. I don't even know why I watched it, it was just too scary.

I only remember one episode, though: the one where some kid gets trapped in a pinball machine.

In hindsight, I sometimes think that show wasn't as scary as kid me thought it was.

that's the thing though, it's all about the experience

if it scares you, it's scary

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    also I am 100% making the Are You Afraid of the Dark closing theme my ringtone for the rest of the month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzuihSD0MOk

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Last year for Halloween, me and some friends hung out watching kid friendly spooky stop-motion (Coraline, Para-Norman, Curse of the Were-Rabbit) while painting black light-reactive paint on these mushrooms I sculpted for a D&D campaign that took place in the underdark, since they were about to enter a massive glade of Myconids.

My spouse had read about this new thing where you can put a teal pumpkin outside with your jack-o-lanterns to let kids with food allergies know that you have toys available as an alternative, so that they can enjoy the ritual of trick-or-treating without having to worry about, you know, eating something that make their bodies kill them.

Our first knock at the door and my spouse jumps up, super excited and answers the door, dressed as Wednesday Addams, and says, “Hi! We’ve got a blue pumpkin! Do you want a glow stick or edibles?”, to a child, while directly behind are my friends and I, painting tiny mushrooms neon pink and orange under a black light.

I am amazed I did not go to jail.

8406wWN.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im working at a big online halloween store right now

Someone tagged every single vegtable costume as Vegeta

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Last year I spent the night with about a dozen friends at an abandoned 70's campground on a man made lake that is officially called Lake of Return, but every map has it as Lake of No Return. I brought a prop zombie head, a black magic book, and a ventriloquist dummy. Two of my friends read the black magic book together, raising their voices in harmony in the chapel. And nothing happened.

So feeling invincible it seems we are going back for a day trip. Then going to my cabin in the woods on a haunted mountain (with a history of cult activity) and tempting fate again. So the intent is switching from a slasher movie to either an Evil Dead or hillbilly murder movie. If we survive this one we'll move on to another horror movie type next year.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Last year I spent the night with about a dozen friends at an abandoned 70's campground on a man made lake that is officially called Lake of Return, but every map has it as Lake of No Return. I brought a prop zombie head, a black magic book, and a ventriloquist dummy. Two of my friends read the black magic book together, raising their voices in harmony in the chapel. And nothing happened.

So feeling invincible it seems we are going back for a day trip. Then going to my cabin in the woods on a haunted mountain (with a history of cult activity) and tempting fate again. So the intent is switching from a slasher movie to either an Evil Dead or hillbilly murder movie. If we survive this one we'll move on to another horror movie type next year.

Do you just have the whiteboard from Cabin in the Woods set up somewhere?

I absolutely should.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Would you be satisfied being attacked by a totally mundane lunatic or does there need to be an air of the supernatural

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    I mean I would prefer at least supernatural implications. Buuuut beggars can't be choosers I guess.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yesterday morning I began October with the spookiest driving of my life, up NY Rt. 22 and through a thick mist, cold and clinging, trees looming, shadows deep

I have always loved October (birthday is the first of November, so I've always had Halloween birthday parties) and this one is looking promising

Will upload some of my photos from this foggy morning when I get home from this road trip and I did get some spoooooky ones indeed

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Todays new discovery was that Australia has Jesus in the zombie section

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I resent the implication that Andrew Lincoln isn't sassy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    3rdest Day

You know, the real downside to watching things at work is that you have to be very certain that you’re not going to walk face-first into some visible nipple with your coworkers around. It really limits the sort of Halloween stuff you can view safely. (I’m whining but I was in meetings half the day anyway, so…)

Night Trap is a game made famous because of the controversy that surrounded its release - in 1993 there was a Senate committee devoted to THE PROBLEM OF VIDEO GAME VIOLENCE and it specifically targeted Night Trap… and Mortal Kombat. Look, just because you enjoy freezing an opponent and then punching him so his organs explode all over the place, leaving only icicle legs standing, doesn’t mean you’re going to go out and do that in real life. For one thing, the practical aspects of freezing someone solid and then exploding them with a punch would be nearly impossible to replicate in real life.

Sorry, we were talking about Night Trap.

So yeah! Night Trap was made as a hybrid video game-live action video… thing… wherein choices made as you play the video game would lead to filmed segments. The premise is that you’re protecting a house full of nubile 90's teens from attacks by “Augers,” who are basically goofy AF vampires. You monitor camera feeds from various rooms at various times, set traps, and then spring them to catch Augers and keep the ladies alive.

Look at these dumb fucking Augers:

KKENDFM.png

It’s like a very stupid, hilarious early version of Five Nights at Freddy's. With 1000% more 90's video. And it just got rereleased! You can finally play it with relative ease! it's available on Steam and also on PS4 and X-Bone.

P.S. if you wanted to CHEAT you could watch only the cut scenes, but that would make you awful. Don't do it. Buy Night Trap.

And also watch this video and get the song stuck in your head immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz1I3VXteQ

"Um, hi, I would like something that appeals to people with actual good taste, who don't secretly long to get a perm and wear a Hypercolor t-shirt," I hear you say.

Well, first of all, rude.

Second of all, fine.

Twilight Zone needs no introduction, and would require more than a day to watch all of, so I'm not going to advocate that. But if you've never had the opportunity to sit and watch this television classic, I can hopefully at least strongly recommend that you find the episode Nothing in the Dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1MCE3teZ8

I honestly refuse to spoil this if you haven't seen it already; the premise is all I'll give you. An elderly woman fears "Mr. Death" so much that she has spent years living in seclusion in her basement apartment, refusing all entry from the outside world, lest death enter and take her.

The babiest baby Robert Redford plays a character in this episode, and I think the limited setting (it all takes place in the old woman's rooms) serves the drama of the episode really well. Four of the five seasons of Twilight Zone are streaming on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, and all five are on Hulu - Nothing in the Dark is episode 16 of season 3. So get on that.

...for music I'm... just gonna go ahead and leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1sf2CzEq0w

Did you know that Golden Earring was Dutch? Did you know this song was inspired by the fucking Bourne Identity? I totally didn't until just now, when I looked them up out of curiosity! Thanks, Wikipedia!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Halloween has mostly become about watching themed movies and youtube videos and eating candy for me since we always get candy for Halloween but we haven't actually had anyone come by in like... ever. And it's such a shame, since we don't even have to decorate to make our house look creepy!

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    As an addition to the whole Night Trap thing - can I just mention this story about how the creation of the game directly led to the programmer behind it making the Dogz and Catz franchises, pretty well the single least Night Trap game in existence

Because oh my God I loved those games as a kid and the connection is just the most incredible thing

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    As an addition to the whole Night Trap thing - can I just mention this story about how the creation of the game directly led to the programmer behind it making the Dogz and Catz franchises, pretty well the single least Night Trap game in existence

Because oh my God I loved those games as a kid and the connection is just the most incredible thing

I had a shareware version of Catz that I loved so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I gots my Count Chocula and Frankenberry.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Halloween thread, please don't forget about the Baja Men song about Digimon and Halloween that was in Count Chocula boxes in 2002.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8GFhiWcAI

mkc.png
    Hey Halloween thread, maybe y'all can help me with some stuff.

So I'm doing this infernal casino theme for my big party, and it's honestly been pretty easy to come up with stuff for the main parts of my apartment. The kitchen remains the kitchen, just with tables laden with food (we're going for a lot of small bites, sticking to our red/black/gold color scheme as much as possible). The main room is going to have the tables, the full bar, all that jazz, and it's been pretty easy to decorate as well.

But I've also got a pretty large back deck (which, given the way that people approach my apartment, is more of a front deck) and a bathroom to concern myself with. They're not places where people are going to spend a whole lot of time, but I'd still like to do some decorations. I was originally planning on using a fog machine to hotbox the bathroom (with all red lighting added in, of course), but there are some pretty sensitive smoke alarms in my apartment so that doesn't seem like it's going to work.

So yeah, does anyone have any ideas for the sort of thing you could do in an outdoor space or a bathroom that still fit the hell/casino theme? Probably leaning heavier on the casino part, if possible.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Make a giant murder roulette wheel with a skeleton on it

mkc.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    A large hand that comes out of the toilet tank and strangles you when you attempt to flush the toilet.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    A large hand that comes out of the toilet tank and strangles you when you attempt to flush the toilet.

what the

how close do you get to the dang toilet when you flush it man