As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Las Vegas Shooting (Sunday night Oct. 1)

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dana Loesch is the piece of shit from this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9EHEuBibY

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    probably not news to many of you guys, but this was mind-blowing for me

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal-bureau-of-way-too-many-guns

What

that was...a hell of a read

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Dana Loesch is the piece of shit from this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9EHEuBibY

yeah she's a professional shithead, there's no reason to talk about her

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Shorty wrote: »

What

Having just finished the article

I adore every single person who works at that building and what they're doing, just, Jesus

The system behind them is insane but the work Charlie did to bring organization in is incredible, and the work everyone else does there is so monumentally important

As tragic as the situation is and as desperately as reform is needed, it's important to laud those workers as the American ideal, I think

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Edit: Whoops this isn't the right thread!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    If you want to get even madder, for all of the insane hard work that those folk do, defeating their system is 100% legal and trivial to do.

I only own one firearm that has a Form 4473 pointing to me. The rest are for all intents and purposes untraceable. And that wasn't even intentional on my part, just a side effect of private sales.

some states require people to log private sales with the government now, but yeah, it's not hard to get an untraceable gun, which is probably why in that article it mentions that 40% of traces wind up being dead ends

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    some states require people to log private sales with the government now, but yeah, it's not hard to get an untraceable gun, which is probably why in that article it mentions that 40% of traces wind up being dead ends

I'm astonished it's that low. Frankly it's amazing much gets traced at all.

I'm astonished it's that low. Frankly it's amazing much gets traced at all.

yeah they have done the best they can with a system that was deliberately sabotaged

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

This one of the most disheartening things I've read in a long time. I had no idea there wasn't a searchable database.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

my god.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    "the gun lobby" sounds like a nefarious organization

on top of actually being one

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm not even going to read beyond that stupid headline, but this response seems applicable.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

What

Having just finished the article

I adore every single person who works at that building and what they're doing, just, Jesus

The system behind them is insane but the work Charlie did to bring organization in is incredible, and the work everyone else does there is so monumentally important

As tragic as the situation is and as desperately as reform is needed, it's important to laud those workers as the American ideal, I think

Yeah, that was an incredible article. As fucked as the system is, it's heartening to know those people are there doing a bunch of unnecessarily tedious legwork to help solve cases. They really seem to care.

steam_sig.png
    I would like to buy a beer for Charlie

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That article is depressing as fuck.

If I were to visit the US again I don't know how I'd feel - I think I'd honestly hesitate about going having become more and more aware of these things the last few years. I don't know how safe I'd feel.*

*When I moved back to Manchester I sometimes get the same hesitancy when in a big crowd after the recent terrorist attacks, or when in an airport. But its a little different.

it would be nice to cut gun ownership down

but the shooter likely had an unchecked mental illness and until we start taking that extremely serious to the point where it's not a joke or lame to be depressed or schizophrenic or bipolar then we've barely started to prevent this from happening again

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Listening to anyone from the NRA talk puts me in a blind fury.

I'm glad your fucking fear of the government taking your guns away is more important than the thousands and thousands of innocent lives lost because of a lack of gun control. So much fear that there can't even be a database on a computer in 2017.

That dude sounds like a fuckin' hoot. I bet he has stories for years.

He fuckin' found a book at the store and used it to implement Six Sigma and ISO9000 efficiency procedures without any gd Black Belts or corporate tools, all while sucking down reds and wearing a vest and saying 'aint' and 'yall'

Knob wrote: »

That dude sounds like a fuckin' hoot. I bet he has stories for years.

He fuckin' found a book at the store and used it to implement Six Sigma and ISO9000 efficiency procedures without any gd Black Belts or corporate tools, all while sucking down reds and wearing a vest and saying 'aint' and 'yall'

right??

I saw that picture and I liked him IMMEDIATELY

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Xehalus wrote: »

but the shooter likely had an unchecked mental illness and until we start taking that extremely serious to the point where it's not a joke or lame to be depressed or schizophrenic or bipolar then we've barely started to prevent this from happening again

E09n6j4l.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/shooting-isnt-about-gun-control-we-refuse-pass-its-57095

Brolo on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Please stop repeating the unfounded lies of the right-wing. They're harmful, especially to people suffering real mental illnesses.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Please stop repeating the unfounded lies of the right-wing. They're harmful, especially to people suffering real mental illnesses.

You're kind of setting yourself up for a fall if he did have a real mental illness though

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

You're kind of setting yourself up for a fall if he did have a real mental illness though

Until we have confirmation from his psychiatrist that this was the case, this really isn't something we should be conjecturing about.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Really? What kind of fall, some dipshit going "ha hah you were wrong!"? Heavy stuff

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Unintentionally insensitive comment retracted.

Fawst on
    Well this isn't a very productive line of conversation at all. Everybody has been pretty civil in here and had some good discush, it'd be real nice if it could stay that way.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    the onion seems fed the fuck up today

Brolo wrote: »

E09n6j4l.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/shooting-isnt-about-gun-control-we-refuse-pass-its-57095

Por que no los dos

the Onion continues to way better at conveying sarcasm then I definitely am

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    You think the Onion's salty about this, I can't wait to see Cody Johnston's take on it.

sig.gif
    edited October 2017
    Seriously

We have a problem with gun control

We have a problem with mental health needs

Those two things are mutually exclusive but sometimes they run together.

Both problems need to be fixed. We don't need to ignore one to work on the other.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    Both of those problems stem from a fundamental, deep and seemingly unsolvable empathy problem in the highest spheres of power.

sig.gif
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I'm not even sure how you would begin to tackle the problems of gun violence in the US when US law enforcement, as an institution, can't be trusted

Do you reform and disarm them first? Because you would need a trustworthy law enforcement group to disarm the populace without killing a lot of minorities and you would still want a somewhat equipped law enforcement group to disarm the well equipped white supremacist militias and criminal groups, and US police can't be trusted to carry out that sort of thing, not in their current form

and while you could pretty much strangle the illegal weapons trade just by making it a little more difficult to obtain weapons legally, you still need some sort of enforcement to collect all the guns that are floating around now.

I mean, it's a solvable problem, but fuck

Sorry I'm quoting this from the last page, but I'm always thinking this exact same thing. "What happens when we actually try and do something about this?"

First thing that comes to mind... how?

How do you trust that any kind of current enforcement is actually going to enforce anything?
    How do you trust the people to give up guns when a collection comes around?

Some people are just going to bury their guns in the backyard and claim they're stolen.

Brucelee41042 on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The Onion offices must be the grimmest, greyest place filled with the grimmest, greyest people

I imagine NASA with surely doomed astronauts in orbit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Where did that whole mental illness thing come from. Aside from propaganda? I mean, it’s propaganda, but people accept it because it they want to.

Is it just playing on fears that a “rational” person could never be such a goddamn asshole as to premeditatively aim to and actually execute on mass murder? Unless they aren’t white?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    "A sane person would never kill all these people (unless they're another race but y'know)" -> "This killer must be insane" -> "All killers are insane" -> "Some mentally ill people are killers" -> "All mentally ill people are dangerous"

sig.gif
    Some people are just going to bury their guns in the backyard and claim they're stolen.

Hell, they don't even have to do that. We don't have a remotely reliable record of who has what.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Where did that whole mental illness thing come from. Aside from propaganda? I mean, it’s propaganda, but people accept it because it they want to.

Is it just playing on fears that a “rational” person could never be such a goddamn asshole as to premeditatively aim to and actually execute on mass murder? Unless they aren’t white?

"anyone willing to open fire and murder dozens of their fellow citizens cannot be a mentally healthy person" is how a lot of people get there

u6kOQ4S.jpg

but blaming everything on mental illness is favorite diversionary tactic for gun lobbyists and their stooges

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Essentially, yeah.

It's a basic othering tactic. When a person does something horrific, people need to find a way to dissociate themselves from that person and turn them into the Other. Which in turn means that that person is no longer a person, because they are now an Other.

And if you think of the common Other categories that exist when we're talking about events like this, it becomes very clear how this can spiral wildly out of control.