As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I know Tyranid Fans were probably angry, but that's sooooo Warhammer 40k and I love every bit of it.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    I know Tyranid Fans were probably angry, but that's sooooo Warhammer 40k and I love every bit of it.

The best part of the whole thing was to just taunt the blood angels he took every tyranid skull and made a giant shrine to Khorne so large you could see it from orbit basically.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The best part of the whole thing was to just taunt the blood angels he took every tyranid skull and made a giant shrine to Khorne so large you could see it from orbit basically.
    cYanmPn.gif

Waffles or whatever on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Wasn't it the same Bloodthirster that broke Sanguinius' back?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ka'Bandha broke Sanguinius' legs and killed so many Blood Angels at once that he is basically responsible for the Black Rage, if I recall that correctly.
    Later Sanguinius broke Ka'Bandha's back at the siege of Terra defending Eternity Gate.
    A few thousand years later the Sanguinor killed him again.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s kind of implied that Ka’Bhanda is like the Satan of the Blood Angels, he’s their flaws personified, and if they could ever permanently kill him then all their flaws would likewise disappear and no more black rage or red thirst.

But he’s an immortal unkillable blob of Warp energy that always comes back, so chalk that particular goal up there with “Sangiunius is gonna come back some day and save us”.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Fear to Tread is the Heresy novel that goes into all of that and the Origins of the Black Rage
    The events in the Heresy first with Kabandha, and then with Sa nguinius' death exacerbated the issue with the black rage but it existed prior. Sanguinius was aware of it, but kept it on the downlow for fear of the Emperor wiping them out. Him and Horus (who stumbled upon the knowledge prior to his corruption) actually discuss the 2 missing Legions/ primarch when Horus swears to keep it a secret.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Fear to Tread is the Heresy novel that goes into all of that and the Origins of the Black Rage
    The events in the Heresy first with Kabandha, and then with Sa nguinius' death exacerbated the issue with the black rage but it existed prior. Sanguinius was aware of it, but kept it on the downlow for fear of the Emperor wiping them out. Him and Horus (who stumbled upon the knowledge prior to his corruption) actually discuss the 2 missing Legions/ primarch when Horus swears to keep it a secret.

Black Rage is when the marine gets loopy and thinks they're Sanguinius when he's fighting Horus. The Red Thirst is the one where they turn into psycho vampires with the ripping and the tearing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Wasn't the Librarian Mephiston the only one whose ever "defeated" the Red Thirst after being trapped under debris?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Some 40k wiki says the protagonist of the Blood Angels novels by Swallow managed it too. It also says that the protagonist also helped Mephiston overcome a second attack of the Black Rage, which is pretty bad writing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »

Black Rage is when the marine gets loopy and thinks they're Sanguinius when he's fighting Horus. The Red Thirst is the one where they turn into psycho vampires with the ripping and the tearing.

It's both. One leads to the other, though the part with the Sanguinius hallucinations would come after his death. They get into it in the novel. The Thirst subsides, the Rage is permanent.
    Early in a pre-Heresy flashback inFear to Tread a Marine succumbs to it, it's acknowledged that this has happened before, and despite making the attempt even Sanguinius can't snap the Marine out of his berserk state.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is the best way to price out an army? I have like 10,000 to 11,000 points in Space Wolves and I'm thinking about selling them so I can upgrade what I have in Necrons and get that up and running.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is the best way to price out an army? I have like 10,000 to 11,000 points in Space Wolves and I'm thinking about selling them so I can upgrade what I have in Necrons and get that up and running.

Depends on condition, paint, etc.

Shoot me a PM if you want help selling.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Tournament on Sat. Gotta get a lot of stuff painted....

ITC standard 2k
    HQ
    Captain on bike, PF/SS (Chapter Master, storm of fire, BT relic helm)
    Captain with JP, TH/SS
    LT, Stormbolter

Troops
    Crusaders x5, Plas gun, plas can, combi-plas
    -DT- Razorback, TLAC, SB, HKM
    Crusaders x5, Plas gun, plas can, combi-plas
    Crusaders x5, Flamer, combi-flamer
    Scouts x5
    Scouts x5
    Scouts x5

Elite
    Company Vet x2, SBx2, CCW
    Company Vet x2. SBx2, CCW
    Company Vet x2. SBx2, CCW

Fast
    Tarantula, TLHB
    Tarantula, TLHB
    Tarantula, TLHB

Heavy
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM

Before I start painting...
    iValMXo.jpg
    lEv01HV.jpg
    DhwWSLx.jpg
    jgWNvpb.jpg

Just did a 25 power game/demo with a buddy. I used my Deathguard he used his Tau starter. Went pretty well. He has several thousand points of Tau coming room ebay tomorrow. i can't wait to help him work his lists.

Just did a 25 power game/demo with a buddy. I used my Deathguard he used his Tau starter. Went pretty well. He has several thousand points of Tau coming room ebay tomorrow. i can't wait to help him work his lists.

Tau are in this weird place this edition where if you use the 'good stuff' they are totally unfun to play against, but if they don't, most of their stuff is really overcosted. My friends have found that even in casual games, Tau are noticeably weaker than most other armies outside of their outliers. Deathguards a tough match, hope you took it easy on him!

The Tau were always an army I found really interesting but never committed to because I already had Necrons and Space Wolves.

It also seems like they are always in a weird place where they can be good but most of the time it doesn't work out.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I’ve never played them but feel like if I went Tau I’d want to go full Metal Slug. Like orks but sleeker and less melee oriented, with the ‘slap every gun, rocket and laser possible on a tank chassis’ strategy. Missile racks in every direction and big chunky robots with guns bigger than themselves.

So I guess nothing but broadsides, those bigger broadsides, the biggest broadsides, and then a swarm of expendable mooks.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I know Tyranid Fans were probably angry
    Naw, we got more.

The BA needed a pickmeup after pretty much the entire chapter got munched on a space hulk.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’ve never played them but feel like if I went Tau I’d want to go full Metal Slug. Like orks but sleeker and less melee oriented, with the ‘slap every gun, rocket and laser possible on a tank chassis’ strategy. Missile racks in every direction and big chunky robots with guns bigger than themselves.

So I guess nothing but broadsides, those bigger broadsides, the biggest broadsides, and then a swarm of expendable mooks.

Commanders and drones, as far as the eye can see. Drones are unique in that they don't take a mortal wound when someone loses a wound, they take the full multi-damage shot. Hit that commander with a 20 damage titan killer? Nah son, that drone ate it all. They're the only race who has bodyguard that work like that, and it is seriously broken.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Saw some Red Scorpions painting tutorial on the youtubes and now I'm kind of considering that for my Primaris dudes that are still on the sprue.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's a good paint scheme.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In the Badab book I kind of wanted to do a Mantis Warrior but I was already into black Templars and soon out of 40k for a time

I ended up with a Tau Army it's really done nothing but sit in the boxes it came in. It's one of those armies I want to try but from when I received it and now a lot has changed for them

Put together a contemptor I got from a swap meet that I’m 50% certain is a recast, with elbow joints that are 100% certain recasts because the hell with buying 15 dollar Forgeworld weapons for their elbows.

907592_sm-Contemptor%20with%20claws.jpeg

Using forgefiend plasma cannons as dreadnought fists with soulburners. I’m liking it, very reminiscent of Big O.

Tau are in this weird place this edition where if you use the 'good stuff' they are totally unfun to play against, but if they don't, most of their stuff is really overcosted. My friends have found that even in casual games, Tau are noticeably weaker than most other armies outside of their outliers. Deathguards a tough match, hope you took it easy on him!

Can you elaborate on the "unfun" stuff? Like what is overpowered/ why?

Is the main issue with the rest of the list mainly points and lack of specific Stratagems and warlord traits?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Can you elaborate on the "unfun" stuff? Like what is overpowered/ why?

Is the main issue with the rest of the list mainly points and lack of specific Stratagems and warlord traits?

Current Tau "good" lists consist of multiple supreme command detachments and field almost exclusively commanders in crisis suits with shield drones. The shield drones can take an entire multi damage hit and make the commanders much harder to kill than the should be. They basically get close, having multiple very small units means they just hide until they get in range, then they alpha strike you, tank your fire back with the drones and then alpha strike you again.

The problem is Tau have some very very good guns, but nothing aside from commanders can use them effectively. Everything in the Tau list is bs4+ and relies on markertlights to make them compete with everything outside of Guard and orks hitting on 3+. This was the same last edition but the problem is this edition changed it from needed one markerlight on a unit to get the buff to five. This means that its almost impossible to use the buff effectively, needing an average of 10 markerlight shots per enemy unit, an unfeasable number. And everything costs way too much.

So your choices for Tau lists are Small Elite Gunlines with excellent guns but are very fragile and have below average accuracy.

Or the mass of heroes who have the same excellent guns, are way harder to kill and can actually hit the side of a barn door.

TLDR. Tau are like imperial guard, good guns but mediocre accuracy, but they cost the same as space marines.

@Norgoth
    Hmmmm. Thank you. I had noticed that marker lights felt somewhat cumbersome to use and I already figured they would see some form of adjusting.

The points issue is more cut and dried and I can easily adjust those costs until chapter Approved or a full codex. Firewarriors seem decently costed at 8, perhaps lower the price o Suits and the Tanks? Defilers, Vindicators, and Predators, and Drednought/Helbrutes saw point deductions, some of them significant.

What do you think?

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    We just finished up a short 40k League at our local club. For one of my matches a few weeks ago my opponent filmed our game for his YouTube channel and it was just posted this morning.

My Word Bearers (Renegades) vs his Orks. Was a fun game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmTuBlLbgs

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    @Norgoth
    Hmmmm. Thank you. I had noticed that marker lights felt somewhat cumbersome to use and I already figured they would see some form of adjusting.

The points issue is more cut and dried and I can easily adjust those costs until chapter Approved or a full codex. Firewarriors seem decently costed at 8, perhaps lower the price o Suits and the Tanks? Defilers, Vindicators, and Predators, and Drednought/Helbrutes saw point deductions, some of them significant.

What do you think?

I think we're likely to see points cuts across the board for Tau, and either another change or markerlight or everything gets BS 3+

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I picked up that $16 Inquisitor with power sword and bolt pistol a while back because I thought it looked like a cool model and I wanted to check out how running an Inquisitor unit goes.

Upon further investigation it looks like it's going to he a pain in the ass to get this guy into a battleforged Space Marines list without losing chapter tactics, sacrificing a command point, or paying a points tax and dragging two more HQs in for a Supreme Command detachment. I wonder if this is intended or an oversight by GW.

I picked up that $16 Inquisitor with power sword and bolt pistol a while back because I thought it looked like a cool model and I wanted to check out how running an Inquisitor unit goes.

Upon further investigation it looks like it's going to he a pain in the ass to get this guy into a battleforged Space Marines list without losing chapter tactics, sacrificing a command point, or paying a points tax and dragging two more HQs in for a Supreme Command detachment. I wonder if this is intended or an oversight by GW.

Intended.

Give him a small inquisitorial troop squad (psions or some guard) in a patrol detachment.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My goal is to have an Inquisitor start the game in a Drop Pod with 9 marines without the marines losing their chapter tactics benefit, but I don't think units from one detachment can begin the game embarked on a dedicated transport from a separate detachment.

My goal is to have an Inquisitor start the game in a Drop Pod with 9 marines without the marines losing their chapter tactics benefit, but I don't think units from one detachment can begin the game embarked on a dedicated transport from a separate detachment.

Nope they can.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2017
    http://i.imgur.com/UHARkxk.jpg

Just a small portion of what I've pulled out of a box so far.

Stragint on

Nice

http://i.imgur.com/a6zjkH3.jpg

I genuinely forgot how much stuff there is and I forgot I had done some customer terminators.

Just a little more to unpack and I can start the inventory process

I spy some pewter, those usually sell pretty well. I just sold a metal chaplain for $20.

The pewter are 5 wolfen, a terminator with rocket pods, a normal and terminator Njal, Ulric, Ragnar, Lukas, Grimgar, and Canis. There are a few other randoms that I think are from other chapters.

http://i.imgur.com/blQyEpA.jpg

That is the last of the Space Wolves stuff. Getting it all out has made me really nostalgic.

Classic wolfen used to be like gold, but idk anymore now that the new plastics are out

Some folks will go out of their way for old metal models. One dude I know does his best to only buy them.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.