As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mXN3akTPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIAPcVdZO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9VwGaycmCQ

These are all games that came out

Not all indie games are so lucky

The question I have to ask is:

Which of these games will come out FIRST:

#1: DAYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss1dckHhfI
DayZ has been in development since 2012 and has sold over 3 million copies in early access

Dean Hall, the creator and lead designer on DayZ, has left the company since
In November 2014, it was announced that the final release version of the game would be released in 2016.

#2: SPY PARTY
https://youtu.be/oUv0D2DPyJs
Spy Party has been in development since 2009
Despite claiming, in March 2010, that the game would be released in two years, [Chris Hecker, designer] has not provided a release date for the final product, apart from a somewhat humorous tweet saying the game is still another two years away from completion in March 2013.

#3: STAR CITIZEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8ZPfAlfOw
Star Citizen has been in development since 2012 and has raised over 150 million dollars in crowdfunding

Their Kickstarter lists their estimated delivery date of the final game as "November 2014"

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch! 80 votes

DayZ
15%
VeldrinOptyGrey GhostUnbreakableVowGoose!MrMonroeVirgil_Leads_YouAnzekayWeedLordVegetaOmnipotentBagelShadow Demoncursedking 12 votes
Spy Party
41%
MulysaSemproniusW2ASimPersonErin The RedKarlcaptainkOne Thousand CablesTheySlashThemBroloStraightzigtrmpdarunia106PeewiMx. QuillPinfeldorfBlue mapI ZimbraMr. GEtiowsaDoobh 33 votes
Star Citizen
43%
MachwingShortyAshcroftTheBlackWindatmaGarthorNo Great NameZythonStericaBahamutZEROUndead ScottsmanDarkPrimuswebguy20VicLibrarian's ghostTallahasseerielNaphtaliIvanIssacsHadesAistan 35 votes

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    I vote star citizen. If it does actually come out at least it'll be cool I think.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Indie games? no thanks. big corporations only for me

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    There's nothing stopping Spy Party coming out right now and it's the smallest, thus, it will be finished first. Like, are they missing any key features? It seems like a fairly well done game at the moment. They could give it the rubber stamp at any time.

DayZ is in hell.
    Star Citizen has been sucked into the developers' black hole of ambition.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hat in Time is finally coming out like tomorrow or something

https://youtu.be/EIDakHOJGk8

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    TOO MANY GAMES

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    I feel bad that the non-Mario game I am most excited for this month is a port of a game from last year

Stardew Valley's real good okay

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DayZ
    So was Ruiner actually any good?

I was going to grab it, but I recall someone mentioning it wasn’t particularly remarkable, so I’m thinking whether I should just wait for a sale.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    hey, dumb question
    Did they remove JonTron from Hat In Time? He was in both that and Yooka-Laylee afaik.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i have a lot of thoughts about Darkest Dungeon that I want to write down at some point

basically i think permadeath was a bad idea, it made dying suck enough that they had to make the combat fairly forgiving. i only played on Radiant though so maybe it's different at higher levels

also the perfect game would be Pokemon with the DD positional combat system

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Oh whoops, apparently I can't read and picked the one I thought would never come out.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Indie games? no thanks. big corporations only for me

Welcome, friend

(I really wanna play Battle Chasers, I'll probably pick that up this weekend)

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Veldrin wrote: »

I was going to grab it, but I recall someone mentioning it wasn’t particularly remarkable, so I’m thinking whether I should just wait for a sale.

from what I heard it was really good, but kinda short?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Every time I try to progress in Darkest Dungeon it shits in my face and I kind of enjoy it but it also destroys me

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    i have a lot of thoughts about Darkest Dungeon that I want to write down at some point

basically i think permadeath was a bad idea, it made dying suck enough that they had to make the combat fairly forgiving. i only played on Radiant though so maybe it's different at higher levels

I treat Darkest Dungeon like XCOM, there are people who are all about that permadeath and amped up difficulty as part of the whole experience, and that's not for everyone. I really liked the leveling and skill systems but I've had enough of games of that particular breed of difficulty.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I feel bad that the non-Mario game I am most excited for this month is a port of a game from last year

Stardew Valley's real good okay

I haven't even powered on my Switch in several weeks, but you better believe it's going to be charged up and ready for Thursday!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Brolo wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

from what I heard it was really good, but kinda short?

Ohhh, that’s a good combo for me.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I finished Oxenfree. That's a good and spooky game.
    It ended with Alex keeping her distance from Jonas which made me sad because I really thought I'd put in the effort to connect.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I finished Oxenfree. That's a good and spooky game.
    It ended with Alex keeping her distance from Jonas which made me sad because I really thought I'd put in the effort to connect.

Pssssst
    start a New Game Plus

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Star Citizen will 100% release something.

It will be a complete burning fucking trainwreck though.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Star Citizen
    I voted Star Citizen because I thought the question was which would never come out. Because I skipped the post and went straight to the poll.

In retrospect that makes no sense since you can only vote for one.

Garthor on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    sup fools I'm gonna be at indiecade this weekend

I suspect to see, in this order: a videogame, rami ismail, and another videogame

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kiss rami ismail on the mouth

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Spy Party
    Maddoc wrote: »

I expect that the single player campaign will come out and be an incredibly linear and short game. The multiplayer stuff is never hitting a proper release.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think they will release something barely functional just to meet bare minimum standards of a release, in order to protect themselves legally.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I expect that the single player campaign will come out and be an incredibly linear and short game. The multiplayer stuff is never hitting a proper release.

What does a "proper release" for Star Citizen even look like?

• Options
    Spy Party
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

A holodeck, probably.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

If the developers could answer that, maybe they'd be able to reach it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

A Cayman Islands bank account.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hey, dumb question
    Did they remove JonTron from Hat In Time? He was in both that and Yooka-Laylee afaik.

signs point to him still being in the game, unfortunately

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    DayZ
    I think DayZ appears to have "come out" in the maximal possible sense of a game "coming out" in that it is available for purchase with no promises that it's going to change at all.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    So I just beat Xing: The Land Beyond. It's a first person puzzle game that recently came out. You probably hadn't heard of it, but you may have spied it being demonstrated in VR during a PAX.

In any case, I preordered it (with a coupon) in like 2014 and it's out now!

So, like I said, it's a first person puzzle game (ala portal) with the main mechanic being the manipulation of states (Day/Night, Clear Skies/Rainy etc. etc.) that change what you can affect in the world and where to go. Also, flaming coconuts. Lots and lots of flaming coconuts. I liked this game, though I find it a bit on the easy side. A lot of puzzles are just finding out how many different things their are to manipulat (buttons, sliding blocks, state pads etc.) and the order to manipulate them becomes clear rather quickly. There's only a few puzzles that put up a roadblock (usually because I was overthinking it or attempted to do correct move, unknowingly messed up and didn't bother to retry it). The biggest exception was a puzzle that I'm not sure if I actually solved. (Either the prominently displayed pads where the sliding blocks are supposed to go were a red herring, or I totally found a cheater way up onto a pedestal with a collectible on it.)

There's also a fair bit of rudimentary platforming, which would be fine but the game's movement controls are really weird. You actually slow down with you start running and have to build up momentum. I wound up missing a lot of what seem like very easy jumps. Apparently they just now added an auto-jump feature, so that's nice.

The story is that your dead, and are in the afterlife where you need to collect the stories of other dead people before they're lost to oblivion. In addition to the four main stories, there are lots of little vignette areas. The stories run the gamet from sad to tragic to heroic to ironic.

Overall, I thought it was ok. It didn't astound me, but it felt like a competent puzzler. It's been awhile since I've played this kind of game (Turing Test back in March, if Steam is to be believed), so I was totally in the mood for it. It's $20 bucks on steam. Unless you're desperate for this kind of puzzle game (like I am) I'd say you could probably wait for a sale.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Oh ok. I didn't play on Radiant, but if you thought the combat was too forgiving that might be why.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    The extended trailer has two swans.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    That game looks incredible and charming, especially considering you play as history's most evil animal.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i love all gooses

send me to gooseburg

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i love all gooses

send me to gooseburg

If Duckburg is 'like a hurricane' then Gooseburg must be some sort of post-supervolcano hellscape

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.