As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem: Heroes] Happy 1st Anniversary!

SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Games and Technology
8ywvbmmeoa6y.jpgX10Ws2JNPcrfbWH0RmKZ1E_kks9UmSUPwum6dZFVdI1iAQiF1vM5FVykuWrzlEoXhzk=w300

Welcome to Fire Emblem Heroes!

Fire Emblem Heroes, or FE:H for short, is a free-to-play (F2P) mobile version of Fire Emblem for your Android or Apple devices. It pulls characters from every single FE game, along with some new characters exclusive to this game.
The game is basically a small, bite-sized Fire Emblem game on your mobile device. Player teams consist of only 4 units and battles take place on 8x6 grids. Battles are very fast paced, yet still require careful planning and strategy. If you enjoyed games liek Fire Emblem Awakening or Fire Emblem Fates, you'll be right at home here. And if you're just discovering Fire Emblem for the first time, you'll have a great time! Check out all the helpful info below to get started.

NOTE: Since various Fire Emblem Wikis are far-better maintained than this OP can be, I will be linking to many sites that have current information. The below is a basic guide, but the links throughout are much more comprehensive if you really want to dive deep into the mechanics of FE:H. Credit to the Fire Emblem Heroes wiki on Gamepedia!!

Disclaimer: You may or may not regret spending real money on this game. It is possible to have a great time as a F2P player, but the urge to spend money is strong. Fair warning!

Fire Emblem Heroes: Beginners Guide - Great place to start!

Previous Forum Threads
First FE:H Thread
Second FE:H Thread

FAQs

How much does this game cost?
It's free to download and play! You can use real money to purchase orbs, which are the main currency of Fire Emblem: Heroes. Orbs are used to summon heroes, expand your maximum hero space, and restore stamina (but don't use it for that). you absolutely do not have to spend money on this game, but doing so definitely speeds up how quickly you can get the best heroes. Again, you don't need to...but you might have the urge for certain banners. Spend wisely, or not at all!

What do you do in Fire Emblem: Heroes?
Win battles and build up your army! Essentially, your goal is to beat the story maps, quests, special maps, and compete in the Arena/Arena Assault against other players (controlled by AI). There's a lot to do and enjoyment can be gained simply from winning battles. Also, some people like to collect their favorite heroes or maximize their weekly Arena score. Figure out what makes sense to you. If you're here, you probably enjoy something about the game :biggrin:

What do the different colors of heroes mean?
Each color corresponds to the weapon type of the hero. FE:H employs the "Weapon Triangle" to decide advantages in battle. It's essentially like rock-paper-scissors. Red > Green > Blue > Red. And Colorless (Gray) is neutral to all colors. Each color gets a 20% bonus when attacking/defending the corresponding color they have an advantage against, and receives a 20% penalty when attacking/defending the color they are disadvantaged against. There are also certain skills and weapons that impact advantages, beyond the weapon triangle. Simply speaking...best to attack or be attacked by colors you have the advantage against, or at least no penalty!

Red: Sword, Red Tome, Red Dragon
Green: Axe, Green Tome, Green Dragon
Blue: Lance, Blue Tome, Blue Dragon
Colorless: Staff, Dagger, Bow
Guide to FE:H Combat

What about movement type?
Each character has a specific movement type. Infantry can move 2 spaces, Armor can move 1, Cavalry can move 3, and Flying don't give a crap about forests or mountains, and can move 2 spaces like infantry. Certain weapons and skills give you advantages over certain movement types (e.g. Armorslayer grants effective damage against armor...shocker).
Guide to Movement Mechanics

When should I summon new heroes?
There are always Summoning Banners active. When you summon, you choose which banner you'd like to summon from. Each banner has specific heroes that are "Focus" units, meaning they are more likely to appear at 5* rarity. The more you summon from a banner, the higher likelihood you'll summon a 5* rarity hero. Your focus and 5* appearance rate will increase by 0.25 and each time you attempt to summon 5 heroes and will reset once you summon a 5* hero. Essentially, this means the more you summon from a specific banner, the higher likelihood of you summoning a 5* hero. So choose the banner with Focus heroes you like and summon away!

When you summon, you are presented with 5 Summoning Stones of varying colors. Your first summon on any banner is free. After that, the first Hero you summon from a group of Summoning Stones costs 5 Orbs. After this first stone, however, consecutive Summoning Stones will cost less orbs. Summoning 5 Heroes at the same time will cost 20 Orbs, meaning that you get one more Hero than you would have if you summoned each one individually.
Summoning Basics and Mechanics
Current Summoning Focus Banners

How do I know if my heroes are any good?
There are some tier lists out there that can help with this: Tier List and Tier List - factoring in Skill Inheritance (i.e. the best one). Also, ask here! Players here have great knowledge about the game and are happy to help you out. Generally, the best units are 5-star rarity (referred to as 5* in the future). The more stars, the more stats the hero has. But each

So, sometimes the same hero is better or worse than the same hero? Sounds complicated!
Yes! And...yeah...it can be complicated. This feature can be a blessing and a curse. Each hero has a specific set of IVs (like Pokemon if you are familiar). Every character has 5 stats: HP, Attack, Speed, Defense, and Resistance. Among those stats, units can have a boosted stat (their boon) and a stat that is less than normal their bane). So, certain heroes want certain combinations of boons and banes. A hero can also have neutral IVs, meaning they have no bane or boon. Generally, attacking heroes want Speed or Attack boons, with defensive heroes preferring Defense or Resistance. It is not always so simple though! And just because you get a -Spd Ryoma, for example, they are still usable. Getting a hero with perfect IVs is great...but not required.
Stat Variation (IVs) Guide
Handy Dandy IV Calculator

What is this "Skill Inheritance" I keep hearing about?
Each hero has skills that are specific to them. They can learn these skills based on their rarity (3*, 4*, 5*). If you don't want to use a hero for your team, or you get duplicates, you can give their skill to another hero you will use. You can use Inherit Skill to learn up to three skills at once from a hero. There are certain restrictions that apply - e.g. only certain weapon/movement types can learn certain skills. Also, some skills are exclusive to units (e.g. any "named" weapon like Falchion, Eckesachs, Urvan, cannot be inherited to another unit).
Skill Inheritance Guide

Who should I send home for feathers and who should I keep for skill inheritance?
Eventually, you'll have too many heroes and need to figure out what to do with them. You can't use them all! Some heroes are very good for skill inheritance (e.g. Lon'qu for Vantage 3, Roy for Triangle Adept 3, Shanna for Desperation 3). Some heroes aren't very useful for skill inheritance at all (e.g. Oboro, Raigh, Seliph). If you need help knowing which heroes to send home and which to keep for eventual skill inheritance, check out this helpful video: Phoenixmaster's Skill Fodder Tier List

How do I earn feathers, orbs, sacred coins, and badges/crystals to upgrade my heroes and summon more heroes?
Complete quests! There are daily, monthly, and special quests to complete, so pay attention to those. Also, completing maps for the first time typically yield rewards like orbs. You also should try to get the highest point totals you can each week in Arena and Arena Assault, for more rewards. Additionally, participating in special game modes like Tempest Trials and Voting Gauntlets will net you a lot of feathers, orbs, etc. Essentially...do stuff in game and get rewarded! Some things, like Tempest Trials, are pretty grindy to maximize rewards.
More about Player Resources

These Grand Hero Battles and Special Maps are hard! Are there strategies to help me win?
Yes! Check out http://yaycupcake.com/feh/ for winning strategies, complete with videos. Thanks @Dr. Flamingo

Are there any good YouTube channels out there to help me?
Of course! See below:
Pheonixmaster1 - unit discussions, tier lists, guides, GHB help, and more

I want to learn more!!!
Good! There's a lot of complexity to FE:H. Check out this Guide to Advanced Mechanics to really dive into some complex topics.
Also, the Fire Emblem: Heroes subreddit is a great resource. Be warned...lots of fan art!

Settings and Tips (NEEDS UPDATING)

Here are a list of things you might want to know about while playing:
  • If a character has hearts around them in the castle area, tap on them to acquire an item.
  • Speed is huge!
  • Let lower level characters get the killing hit. Killing blows grant more XP. Soften enemies up with higher levels characters and finish them off with the weaklings.
  • If you kill an enemy 4 levels lower than you, you gain no XP.
  • If a hero dies in battle, they lose all XP they earned that map.
  • Healers can gain XP by healing. Always heal when possible (even if it's only 1 XP). They won't gain XP if they've healed too much on a map though. Healers can also learn attack skills once they've earned enough SP, and this lets them earn normal XP.
  • Characters that are 4* or higher automatically become "Favorited". You can disable this option in the Settings.
  • Sometimes it's good not to attack. What?! There are some cases where if you attack, then the enemy can attack and kill you on their turn. If you don't attack, you'll deal counter attack damage and then finish them off on your turn. Great for choke point scenarios.
  • If you want things to go faster, disable attack animations.

Friend's List

Here's our PA friend list. Add yourself today! Make sure to send out a greeting. Occasionally a hero might show up with a gift!

Helpful Links

Credit for original OPs to @MNC Dover and @ecco the dolphin

Smoogy-1689
3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
PAD ID: 376,540,262

Smoogy on

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Reserving this spot.

Smoogy-1689

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Man, Henry sucks. I'm finished up the Sacred Seal quests and his set is just annoying.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Man, Henry sucks. I'm finished up the Sacred Seal quests and his set is just annoying.

I believe he's considered the worst red mage in the game. That said, he has green tomebreaker at 4* which is actually one of the better skills to inherit onto green mages especially.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Alright, you know in the last thread I said that the RNG taketh, and it giveth? I think you guys were right, it only taketh:
    mjgqb1tzd98b.png

I don't think there's any good SI fodder in there either. :( And it was such promising orb colors for the PA banner!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Some ok SI fodder there if you promote them to 4*. Cecilia has Gronnraven and occasionally you may find use for Attack +# or Escape Route. She's also pretty good on Horse Emblem teams if you promote her all the way to 5* and her IVs aren't bad.

Shanna is actually great - Desperation 3 and Iceburg at 4* - both pretty useful. Threaten Speed 2 as well if you want to go a bit budget there.

Matthew has Hone Speed at 4*, Reciprocal Aid, and Poison Strike 2 (which is situational but can be good on archers and thieves).

Other two are not great. Oboro has Threaten Res 2 I guess? :/ Is that Gunter? He has Hone Cavalry but that's about it.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Some ok SI fodder there if you promote them to 4*. Cecilia has Gronnraven and occasionally you may find use for Attack +# or Escape Route. She's also pretty good on Horse Emblem teams if you promote her all the way to 5* and her IVs aren't bad.

Shanna is actually great - Desperation 3 and Iceburg at 4* - both pretty useful. Threaten Speed 2 as well if you want to go a bit budget there.

Matthew has Hone Speed at 4*, Reciprocal Aid, and Poison Strike 2 (which is situational but can be good on archers and thieves).

Other two are not great. Oboro has Threaten Res 2 I guess? :/ Is that Gunter? He has Hone Cavalry but that's about it.

True, I always forget that Shanna has desperation. Yeah, thats Gunter, but I already have Hone Cavalry on the two guys that probably want it the most (Xander and Camus), and the rest of my Horses have Goad. Also true about Reciprocal Aid on Matthew (I pull so infrequently these days on grey orbs that I forget what they have). Poison strike I think is situational at best. :( But all in all, maybe not a complete waste.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Some kind of announcement tomorrow? Hope it is about sacred coins.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Imagine if they were used to add +s to units or a way to copy skills for inheritance. A man can dream...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Acheron wrote: »

It's about the next Voting Gauntlet. The Tweet mentioned people connected to dragon's blood, which could mean a lot of things. The Fates royal siblings seem like the most likely candidates though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    It would be nice if they did something that wouldn't remove the need for orbs, like re-roll IV or purchase (with orbs) a specific 3* or maybe 4* hero for SI purposes.

I know that, whatever it is, I'm probably going to regret not farming it more before now. I did AA off an on at the beginning, but I haven't touched it for a few weeks now. :(

They'll probably allow us to upgrade seals, since the current ones are all called Breath of Life 1, Distant Def 1, Panic Ploy 1 etc.

I found a team that tends to give me the most points, then once a week I aim to get a non-death run while leading that team. I've been able to get 22 coins per week so far. Though I'm usually able to get 4830+ points each week. Last week I think I had 4820 and that wasn't good enough to stay in the 1k-5k range, so I had to fiddle a bit to get myself back up there.

I basically took all the highest rated (sort by rating) characters I had and only changed out anyone worth 185 (lots of red sword heroes in that group, for example) to see if it made any difference. My group usually ended up being Lucina, Brave Lucina, Amelia and Sharena and I think once, I was able to get somewhere around 4860 points, which means averaging around 694 per fight.

Spent some more money and FINALLY pulled Shigure. So yay, done with this banner. Stupid dancers making me want everyone. I also pulled another Olivia that somehow had worse IVs. Haha. Oh well, she's merged now.

On the plus side, I pulled a couple reds (mostly a few pulls that had no blues) and got a Roy finally! So female Robin got her TA3. Yay! Now I need another for Inigo :P

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time finding an SP grind setup for melee greens. The warriors 5 hard map just ends up chipping Cherche to death, even with a healer and a dancer, because it's mostly green and red enemies. Any ideas?

Maz- wrote: »

It's about the next Voting Gauntlet. The Tweet mentioned people connected to dragon's blood, which could mean a lot of things. The Fates royal siblings seem like the most likely candidates though.

Good lord I hope not. Most underwhelming announcement ever, and certainly not worthy of a pre-announcement. Those things are awful.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time finding an SP grind setup for melee greens. The warriors 5 hard map just ends up chipping Cherche to death, even with a healer and a dancer, because it's mostly green and red enemies. Any ideas?
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Finally got back up to 20k thanks to the arena assault mission that awarded 1000 (go go one unit item farming to knock out 5 full runs). Ended up using it on a Cecilia to give Inigo Gronnraven+. Now to just farm up enough SP to learn it :P Speaking of which, I also discovered Axzura doesn't seem to be able to use the Warriors farming map, at least, I can't figure out a good way. She just gets destroyed by all the reds :(

I really wish I could grab some more Roys too. Need TA3 for two heroes now :( But no reason to pull red on this banner.

I use her with two spur def support toons and a healer. Put the spur def seal on one of the support duders. Put the +1def seal on Axezura. Nets +11 def and keeps her alive. Keep her in the upper right starting spot and let the enemies come to her.

I have a eirika with rally def as a supporter, which really pushes it over the edge.

You have to work for it, but it's doable @Warlock82

Edit:

Also, take off TA if you have it on

From the closed thread - should work for any green

@Delzhand

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    even in this new thread

chain challenges suck

2x39jD4.jpg
    Oh man, thanks for that setup. I didn't have quite the resources to pull it off, but I did get my chip damage down to 2-10 hp a round, which was easily healable with two dancers providing the spurs. It totally trivialized the process.

Reposting this in the new thread cause it still makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xezbMJSN0

Maz- wrote: »
    Reposting this in the new thread cause it still makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xezbMJSN0

That was way funnier than it had any right to be :D

edited October 2017
    Did the Paralogue maps today. This felt wrong...but oddly satisfying.
    l1zwqkmnxpni.png

Edit: Whoah that's a big picture when you're not on your phone.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Voting gauntlet soon, yaaaay.

Hm, I think the only other Fire Emblem character I care about besides Hector is Morgan? Not sure what my incentive is to pull now that I've built all my teams.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh hey, a dragon-themed voting gauntlet. Not sure who to root for, but I do find it hilarious that Ninian makes it into yet another banner.

EDIT: Oh hey, a 5-star Nowi. That's pretty useful since I've been trying to build up several dragon characters lately. I was already making plans to upgrade a Tiki for Lightning Breath+

Dr. Flamingo on
    Where's my Hone Dragon buff?

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I like the dragons a lot. This would be a good off-season banner for me, like, if Performing Arts wasn't going on and it had been awhile. I'd love to pull for like, young Tiki and Fae for awhile. Buuut I guess I'd say that no matter when the banners showed up.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I guess I'll need to make sure Julia is up in my first defense slot.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Free pull got a 4* Fae from the banner that she's on. That's pretty funny. Also kind of a shame, since I wouldn't have minded an excuse to actually use her, but I'm still very happy to have some fodder for Renewal.

Huh, a 5-star Fae from the Performing Arts banner. Well there's a coincidence for ya. Thanks for the dragons?

I just passed 100k on tempest trials. Feeling pretty good, got all the orbs. Then I look at my rank... 22,000?? Ever since continuous auto was added the grinding people do has really gotten out of hand!

edited October 2017
    I am at like 60k and thats enough for me. I do the 2 daily at highest then a couple Hard autos, but meh...its just too much time commitment.

I hate voting gauntlets and the time nature of the bonuses. Takes too much effort and not enough reward.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

Garbage pulls on both banners. B block was particularly angering because I've already got 3 Tikis and a 5* Julia, so I figured I could just pull on blue.

1 red, 1 colorless, 3 green

Okay, 4* Merric it is.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    3* Draug and 3* Jagen from my pulls...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    3 star subaki, 4 star Jagen. One of these days, Reinhardt...

Delzhand wrote: »
    Garbage pulls on both banners. B block was particularly angering because I've already got 3 Tikis and a 5* Julia, so I figured I could just pull on blue.

1 red, 1 colorless, 3 green

Okay, 4* Merric it is.

I only got green and colorless on that banner. No focus chance at all! Yay 3* Arthur!

Smoogy-1689

Wow, they really went with Sophia for the last slot? Imagine pulling a 5-star of her.

edited October 2017
    I just passed 100k on tempest trials. Feeling pretty good, got all the orbs. Then I look at my rank... 22,000?? Ever since continuous auto was added the grinding people do has really gotten out of hand!

Thank you for reminding me that continuous auto was a thing! I forgot it and was wondering how I was going to get the 100k points because grinding TT is such a drag.

Ardor on
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »

Thank you for reminding me that continuous auto was a thing! I forgot it and was wondering how I was going to get the 10k points because grinding TT is such a drag.

I...did not know this was a thing. Thanks!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    edited October 2017
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Edit: Whoah that's a big picture when you're not on your phone.
    Yeah phones take stupid large pictures. I downloaded an app to resize them for when I post mine :P

Also nothing from the 2 dragon banners other than a 3 star Hinata, which would be ok except I already have a bunch :P Oh well. I guess I will use Ninian for the gauntlet? I dunno.

Warlock82 on
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

I'm at 135K or so and in the 2800 range.

Great for hero merit tho