As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Also, Pixelbuds.

Earbuds that do real time language translation.

That's pretty damn cool if it works.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    how much does the pixel 2 xl cost

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    According to the Verge, $849 for 64GB model

hmm cdn pricing...

IDVbyWCl.jpg

...oof.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    They followed apple in the no headphone jack game?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I went Pixel 2 + 128GB + protection plan, and that is at where the Pixel 2 XL begins and that's already a lot.

The pixelbuds look nice but I'll wait for reviews. That language translation thing was incredible if it was on the level.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Psykoma wrote: »
    They followed apple in the no headphone jack game?

yeah that was in the leaks, still real disappointed though

please stop following apple's stupid design decisions, everyone

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My problem with no headphones is wondering how much bluetooth has improved since my S5.
    If I'm watching a video with my phone's bluetooth, the audio is a good 1-2 seconds behind the video and it's only with a cable headphone that they sync.
    Listening to just audio is fine on bluetooth, but when there's video it just doesn't work.

Psykoma on
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My problem with no headphones is wondering how much bluetooth has improved since my S5.
    If I'm watching a video with my phone's bluetooth, the audio is a good 1-2 seconds behind the video and it's only with a cable headphone that they sync.
    Listening to just audio is fine on bluetooth, but when there's video it just doesn't work.

my problem with no headphones is how horribly insecure Bluetooth is as a standard.

thatassemblyguy on
    I just don't want to have to charge my headphones

or have to un-pair my headphones with my phone and re-pair them with my laptop every time I get to work

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Seems like Google went 100% forward with the whole smart home concept. Lots of hardware there.

Don't they still make like 80% of their profit or more from AdWords?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I've had a oneplus 3t for like eight months now and I feel spoiled

every time someone complains about phones, I'm just like "this one doesn't do any of that dumb shit"

it is probably the best phone I've ever owned, the only one that came close was the old HTC G1, and that was mainly just because it had a great keyboard

Shorty on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't like bluetooth as being standard now because having to worry about one MORE thing to charge regularly is annoying, and phone manufacturers tend not to support it that much

So I can either use the phone jack to use my headphones, and not be able to charge my phone at the same time, or use it to charge my phone, and have to charge my bluetooth headphones.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I got Bluetooth earbuds for Christmas - the kind with the wire behind your head. I am the absolute worst at remembering to charge them so I ended up having to bring wired ones into work anyways.

Also, my phone is synced to a least 4 different bluetooth things, it's just a pain to make sure I'm connected to the right one when some autosync.

I'm really great at sitting in my car in the driveway wondering why I can't hear my podcasts only to find out they were playing through my clock radio the whole time.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think if I had to remember to charge my headphones I'd die from lack of music.

I'm never going to upgrade to a phone without one. If Samsung pulls this shit this is going to be my last phone ever I guess.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The lack of headphone jacks is the most baffling thing to me. I guess nobody on apple's design team sits in front of an office computer mindlessly working while listening to podcasts.

It's not even for any particular reason! Make the phone insignificantly smaller is not worth losing a feature.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

I sometimes watch YT videos in my car while parked and this isn't an issue for me on my Moto G5 Plus/2016 Hyundai Elantra GT.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    The lack of headphone jacks is the most baffling thing to me. I guess nobody on apple's design team sits in front of an office computer mindlessly working while listening to podcasts.

It's not even for any particular reason! Make the phone insignificantly smaller is not worth losing a feature.

'Take something away that was previously industry standard, call it innovating, sell back formerly-standard thing as a premium addition at an extra cost' is basically how silicon valley technology companies work.

Knight_ wrote: »

Your "features" get in the way of slowly evolving the phone into a perfect unblemished obelisk of glass, with no ports of any kind, mathematically perfect, may Jobs bless us all forever and ever, amen

sig.png
    I cant wait till they sell phone classic.

Is just an old touchtone handset that you attach to your belt but it works over 4g.

Uriel wrote: »

Is just an old touchtone handset that you attach to your belt but it works over 4g.

this exists

sig.png
    Eventually phones will just be lament configurations.

"Eventually"

Tossrock wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

this exists

I was thinking more like the ones with the curly cable that attach it to the base that we all had in the nineties.

Brolo wrote: »

I can't handle how fucking courageous this is. This is the kind of bravery you write songs about. This makes 9/11 firefighters look like Gollum.

sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The worst part about the Pixel 2 ditching the headphone jack was they did it to make room for the front speakers on the phone.

who gives a shit about the speakers on a phone

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The worst part about the Pixel 2 ditching the headphone jack was they did it to make room for the front speakers on the phone.

everyone on my train when they have to listen to some idiot who has to listen to his shitty music out loud

edited October 2017
    If you are the kind of person who wants louder speakers on your phone I don't want to know you.

Why not buy a vintage boom box at that point? It will probably cost the same and sound better.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I've got a pair of those Beats X bluetooth earbuds

They're pretty good, to be fair

But killing the headphone jack altogether is a ridiculous dick move

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The pixel 2 is adding real time language translation via their headphone stuff.

I feel like that's a great benefit added from losing the jack that it justifies it, not just because they want to sell more dongles.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I feel like that's a great benefit added from losing the jack that it justifies it, not just because they want to sell more dongles.

Yeah it's great that they're removing a feature I use literally every day for a feature I'll use literally never

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I've decided to upgrade to the V30 soon because my current phone is junk.

I'm going to flaunt my superior amplified headphones to everyone even though no one will care.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah it's great that they're removing a feature I use literally every day for a feature I'll use literally never

I agree that it is still dumb, but less dumb (they could just keep using the charging port for that)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've seen a lot of people that commute on bicycle listen to their cellphone without headphones.

At first I found it annoying, but it's a lot safer than having headphones in.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

*raises hand*

I play music out of my phone at home when I'm doing a home maintenance project like a caveman, yes. Also its really nice when I have to do speaker phone calls for work.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I was thinking of upgrading to the pixel 2. The lack of headphone jack is a bit of an issue

This discussion has been closed.