As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    The lack of headphone jacks is the most baffling thing to me. I guess nobody on apple's design team sits in front of an office computer mindlessly working while listening to podcasts.

It's not even for any particular reason! Make the phone insignificantly smaller is not worth losing a feature.

'Take something away that was previously industry standard, call it innovating, sell back formerly-standard thing as a premium addition at an extra cost' is basically how silicon valley technology companies work.

Hell, this thread is named after a device that squeezed juice out of plastic pouches, for the low low sum of $2000 plus a monthly subscription fee of only $40.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I bet I'll have to get a dongle to use normal headphones.

How did apple manage charging and using wired headphones, as I'll be expecting Google to copy that?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I bet I'll have to get a dongle to use normal headphones.

How did apple manage charging and using wired headphones, as I'll be expecting Google to copy that?

Dongle.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Sorry I meant at the same time?

Or will I be forced into choosing charging my phone or listening to music on wired headphones?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Or will I be forced into choosing charging my phone or listening to music on wired headphones?

No the dongle allowed both. It pretty much is a breakout box for the 3.5 jack.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Google's already got extra USB C adapters and a RCA/Charging dongle on their store thankfully.

Headphone adapter

Headphone/Charging Dongle

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Of course they do.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if there was a bluetooth spec or competitor that wasn't a total and constant pain in the ass to use, i would be ok with this

but until I can put a set of earplugs in, and switch them between devices with one tap, we are not there

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Google Chrome started mysteriously being shit on my Surface Book. After reconnection it won't load pages for about a minute, scrolling is really slow and it won't scroll unless the cursor is in the active window any more. I've tried reinstalling, nada.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I do really miss dual front facing speakers after going from a 6P to a Pixel XL but I am glad that I did not wait for the Pixel 2 XL. I still have to use a headphone jack to cassette tape cable to listen to music in the car.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I get constantly bluetooth drops if I try and wear wireless headphones while walking around downtown. Works fine in the house, but anywhere outside it all goes to shit for whatever reason.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I get constantly bluetooth drops if I try and wear wireless headphones while walking around downtown. Works fine in the house, but anywhere outside it all goes to shit for whatever reason.

local interference probably

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm sure, but it makes bluetooth useless unless I keep my phone on my shoulders or something.

Maybe we shouldn't have all rushed to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack if we can't create a wireless headphone that totally stops working if it's more than 2 feet away from the transmitter in a major city.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    When I used Bluetooth headphones,I found that sound on some of my apps didn't work properly. Like slow distorted stuttering sound.

Don't Starve is a prime example

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Hell, my bluetooth headphones will drop when I'm mowing the lawn if I extend my leg too far away from the headphones. I guess jeans are a big signal blocker? I guess it could be the phone or the headphones too. I mean, I'm tall, but I'd expect jeans pocket to side of my head to be an acceptable range in a suburban neighborhood where I am able to maintain a steady connection while doing yard work. Only reason I went wireless is because I would occasionally pull wired ones out of my ears while mowing past a bush or tree. At this point, both are equally annoying though.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    What if, bear with me here, what if we had headphones that instead of relying on finicky bluetooth frequencies, we install a port on the phones, like 3.5 mm big, and allow people to plug headphones directly into the phone so they don't have to worry about headphone battery life or interference if they don't want to at the cost of having the headphones no longer be wireless.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What if, bear with me here, what if we had headphones that instead of relying on finicky bluetooth frequencies, we install a port on the phones, like 3.5 mm big, and allow people to plug headphones directly into the phone so they don't have to worry about headphone battery life or interference if they don't want to at the cost of having the headphones no longer be wireless.

That'll never work!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That'll never work!

It was quite silly of me to suggest.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Google Chrome started mysteriously being shit on my Surface Book. After reconnection it won't load pages for about a minute, scrolling is really slow and it won't scroll unless the cursor is in the active window any more. I've tried reinstalling, nada.

You might try deleting Chrome's folder in your AppData folder. I don't think that gets removed when you uninstall it. It'll just create a new one when it's launched after being deleted.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if there was a bluetooth spec or competitor that wasn't a total and constant pain in the ass to use, i would be ok with this

but until I can put a set of earplugs in, and switch them between devices with one tap, we are not there

That's apple's w1 chip, it can do that and it comes up as the main reason the AirPods work as a device.

I like Bluetooth as a system! I have a pair of over the ear noise canceling parrots and they are dope!

With apple going wireless charging though, And considering how I would use headphones now, what I would prefer is some in ear but with one of those support frameworks, the w1 chip and wireless charging since that is probably going to be everywhere pretty soon.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got a nylon band for my watch. It is super comfy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Not the one that came with the iPhone 7.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have to admit that Apple went about wireless earbuds the right way: they come in a case that's a charger that can refill the earbuds multiple times on a single charge on its own, and can give you 3 more hours of life after 15 minutes. If the world is going to march forward on shitty technology, at least they're putting in some effort to make it worthwhile.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Not the one that came with the iPhone 7.

Yeah, you have to buy the charge & listen dongle separately for $40. The pack-in for all models is only an audio adapter.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    I have to admit that Apple went about wireless earbuds the right way: they come in a case that's a charger that can refill the earbuds multiple times on a single charge on its own, and can give you 3 more hours of life after 15 minutes. If the world is going to march forward on shitty technology, at least they're putting in some effort to make it worthwhile.

yea but then you have to buy a pair of 15 dollar earbuds for 10 times that price.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Bluetooth is pretty great now. If you have ever seen a Japanese train during rush hour, then you understand the convenience of wireless headphones.

No lag watching videos. And I'm no audiophile, but I have no complaints with audio quality.

But yeah, even I think leaving a headphone jack off isn't the best idea.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Oh good, the new google wireless headphones are £159

Fucking hell why

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Fucking hell why

Cos it's Cool Technology!

NervousDishonestAmericanriverotter-mobile.jpg

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

yea but then you have to buy a pair of 15 dollar earbuds for 10 times that price.

You don't "have" to do anything. If you buy a phone that has one port, it comes with an adapter and those standard earbuds in the box. It's not as if they removed they ability to listen to music, it's just less convenient. Yeah, you can't plug in the adapter and charge, but 3rd parties will make solutions for that too.

Like I can see why people don't like it, but there are still ways around the parts that people dislike. Personally I know no amount of complaining will make a company that big change their mind, so.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

Fucking hell why

Cause that's what apple charge for theirs

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    man

fuck this

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The lack of headphone jacks is the most baffling thing to me. I guess nobody on apple's design team sits in front of an office computer mindlessly working while listening to podcasts.

It's not even for any particular reason! Make the phone insignificantly smaller is not worth losing a feature.

i don't know how legit it is, but I think the actual design reason is being able to make the phone water resistant.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Well, let's hope my 5x hold out forever then.

• Options
    Well, let's hope my 5x hold out forever then.

Pretty much.

Bluetooth headphones don't last very long (5 hours isn't that much) and running Bluetooth drains my battery way quicker than wired headphones

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

i don't know how legit it is, but I think the actual design reason is being able to make the phone water resistant.

That would be possible with a redesigned 3.5mm stereo socket.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

My G3 is water resistant and it has an open headphone jack.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

yeah the sony m4 aqua is water resistant rated, has a headphone jack, and can survive a dunking

• Options
    Yeah it's just a way to sell expensive headphones

notice it is companies that will get direct profits from the sales of wireless headphones that are making the shift.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You guys need to get with program.

It’s 2017, plugging shit in is for losers.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    You guys need to get with program.

It’s 2017, plugging shit in is for losers.

hot take on butt plugs

zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.