As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'd probably get airpods if Apple gives them the wireless charging case in the box.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Kadith wrote: »
    Yeah it's just a way to sell expensive headphones

notice it is companies that will get direct profits from the sales of wireless headphones that are making the shift.

People will argue it's the wave of the future (among other things). It's bunk. There are ways to do it that you can still use your bluetooth stacks, and, support chips that no longer have analog ports.

The guy on youtube created his own flexible PCB, which replicated the "headphone splitter" that apple sells, and inserted it into an iphone7 and drilled a headphone jack. It allowed simultaneous charging and headphone use too.

If that dude could do it, there's no reason apple couldn't have done it other than "we wanted to make money off peripherals". Their reasons are bogus, you can still use your wireless bluetooth headsets with a 3.5mm jack, and using the flexible PCB method, you can incorporate the design into the analog-less chipset designs being pushed out (or use your clout as a chip purchaser to get the analog stuff put back in for you).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I thought they did?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I know I haven't had all the experiences, not even a few in the grand scheme.

Of those couple experiences I have had, I can't think of a one where the phone being more water resistant would have saved it/made a lick of difference.

Wife once dropped her phone in the toilet, turned it off, we broke it down as far as we could and everything was fine two days later. Crew mate dove across the deck of my boat to grab a line and managed to eject his phone from his pocket and into the lake, no amount of water proofing would have allowed us to dive on it with how deep the lake was. Friend knocked over a beer at dinner and soaked two phones, again, we broke them down and dried them out and both phones were fine within a few days.

From the things I've seen, I'm really struggling to see why we gotta lose a port other than forcing me to buy inferior quality headphones for more money.

Anon the Felon on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

notice it is companies that will get direct profits from the sales of wireless headphones that are making the shift.

People will argue it's the wave of the future (among other things). It's bunk. There are ways to do it that you can still use your bluetooth stacks, and, support chips that no longer have analog ports.

The guy on youtube created his own flexible PCB, which replicated the "headphone splitter" that apple sells, and inserted it into an iphone7 and drilled a headphone jack. It allowed simultaneous charging and headphone use too.

If that dude could do it, there's no reason apple couldn't have done it other than "we wanted to make money off peripherals". Their reasons are bogus, you can still use your wireless bluetooth headsets with a 3.5mm jack, and using the flexible PCB method, you can incorporate the design into the analog-less chipset designs being pushed out (or use your clout as a chip purchaser to get the analog stuff put back in for you).

man that's cool but holy shit would I never attempt something like that on my $1000+ phone

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    bluetooth will never have as good audio quality as hardline

edited October 2017
    Brolo wrote: »

man that's cool but holy shit would I never attempt something like that on my $1000+ phone

Yeah it's a different beast over in China. You can get a new case/bezel for like $20-50. So pry all the internals out, use the new case and drill holes and stuff everything back into it.

So it's not a huge, huge deal like it is over here. Plus the throng of people means you have an endless supply of people with skills to help you fix shit, you're less reliant on applecare and warranties if you want to try it. And sometimes they'll even help you for fun because their tech culture loves doing shit like this.

bowen on
    Oghulk wrote: »
    bluetooth will never have as good audio quality as hardline

I also can't count the number of times I've pulled out my earbuds to work with tools, and my wife has had to, angrily, go back inside to charge her bluetooth earbuds.

Then come back out to ask where I'm keeping my extra earbuds.

This happened once on a direct flight from DC to Seattle. There were 24 hours of rage I'd never witnessed before. I don't think she's even looked at those things since.

I also have a bit of an issue with yet another lithium battery I have to carry around and care for, then deal with the e-waste when I inevitably upgrade.

Yeah it's a different beast over in China. You can get a new case/bezel for like $20-50. So pry all the internals out, use the new case and drill holes and stuff everything back into it.

So it's not a huge, huge deal like it is over here. Plus the throng of people means you have an endless supply of people with skills to help you fix shit, you're less reliant on applecare and warranties if you want to try it. And sometimes they'll even help you for fun because their tech culture loves doing shit like this.

That was honestly one of the best parts of China when I was in Beijing. And we're not talking 20-50 bucks USD, we're talking like, 6 bucks USD.

They have that shit down. It's fucking artisinal over there.

edited October 2017
    Analog stereo headsets work forever.

I have had a pair from back in the 80s that my brother got with his walkman that still works great. (I got rid of them because I just found them the other day while packing)

bowen on
    Also let's not talk about the problem with bluetooth right now where hackers can actually gain complete access to your computer or phone purely by having the bluetooth on and nothing else.

So, I mean :rotate:

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Also let's not talk about the problem with bluetooth right now where hackers can actually gain complete access to your computer or phone purely by having the bluetooth on and nothing else.

oh boy

you got any more detail on this?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Apple's thing used to be PC's are annoying because too many cables

now it's here's 400,000 dongles for you to carry around.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

oh boy

you got any more detail on this?

Here is a write up by our russian friends.

https://threatpost.com/wireless-blueborne-attacks-target-billions-of-bluetooth-devices/127921/

zkHcp.jpg
    edited October 2017
    Isn't that the same reason we've always turned off BT when not actively using it since the beginning of time?

What I'm saying is: We've always known BT was stupid and dumb.

Anon the Felon on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Apple's thing used to be PC's are annoying because too many cables

now it's here's 400,000 dongles for you to carry around.

"where is my dongle that lets me connect other dongles?"

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    there's also the separate by design problem with bluetwooth LE that allows you to take over devices using it such as fitness trackers or sex toys because it doesn't use any authentication

zkHcp.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So they will of course release a dongle that lets you use your wired headphones. But that uses the USB C slot for charging. What happens when I want to use my wired headphones and charge at the same time?

Extra dongle?

Dock?

Fuck my wallet?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    And the official USB-C to 3.5 jack adaptor is £20

Ouch

Karl wrote: »
    So they will of course release a dongle that lets you use your wired headphones. But that uses the USB C slot for charging. What happens when I want to use my wired headphones and charge at the same time?

Extra dongle?

Dock?

Fuck my wallet?

The port should be able to accept a hub of sorts, so you might be able to have a Y splitter styled dongle that still accepts a charger but also accepts and outputs to a headphone.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Isn't that the same reason we've always turned off BT when not actively using it since the beginning of time?

And we're back at iOS not letting you do that anymore unless you go deep into the settings.

edited October 2017
    man

I want a fat phone

like double the thickness of an iphone/nexus

and then give me everything on that fucker

flEAnka.jpg

all the ports

removable battery

microSD slot

physical keyboard

ethernet jack

smaller, detachable phone

Brolo on
    3 USB-C slots on the bottom would be enough for me, but yes, replaceable battery is something I am after because it would extend my ability to use these devices by another 2+ years.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Will laugh and laugh so much if headphone jacks come back on major phones in a couple of years.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    god I miss hardware keyboards on phones

t5xGPcE.jpg

i miss u so

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    t5xGPcE.jpg

i miss u so

loved that fucking phone

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Phones I always wanted.

The one from the Matrix.

The one from Iron Man 1.

Those both looked cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I miss my G1

Phones I always wanted.

The one from the Matrix.

The one from Iron Man 1.

Those both looked cool.

apparently the one from the matrix wasn't actually spring-loaded, they modified it for the movie

edited October 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    Phones I always wanted.

The one from the Matrix.

The one from Iron Man 1.

Those both looked cool.

apparently the one from the matrix wasn't actually spring-loaded, they modified it for the movie

JHDYr6Il.jpg

Brolo on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    My third pair of X3s just died. First bluetooth for running that I ever bought, only four months since I got my first set, and none of them have lasted longer than more than few weeks of use.

So the news that phone design is steadily moving that way . . . yeah, not thrilled.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Will laugh and laugh so much if headphone jacks come back on major phones in a couple of years.

it'll be twice as courageous when they bring it back as a new feature

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    t5xGPcE.jpg

i miss u so

Probably the toughest smartphone I ever owned

I kept it for about three or four years

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ll
    honovere wrote: »

And we're back at iOS not letting you do that anymore unless you go deep into the settings.

It ain’t that deep

Force press on settings, tap Bluetooth, tap off
    3 presses
    (Not saying it’s not annoying just trying to be helpful)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • htmhtm Registered User regular

I can't speak for Google, but Apple includes a Lightning -> 3.5mm headphone adapter in the box with new iPhones.

I really don't understand the angst regarding this issue. I've had a nice pair of Shure ear plug headphones. When I got my iPhone 7, I plugged the Lightning dongle onto their jack. It's been there ever since. It doesn't really change the subjective experience of using wired headphones at all. I suppose I lost the ability to recharge my phone while listening to it with headphones, but if Apple is going to solve that problem, I'd rather have them add a second Lightning port to the iPhone and not a 3.5mm jack.

I also have some AirPods. They're great for what they are, and I certainly didn't buy them to avoid putting a dongle on my Shures.

Perhaps Apple and Google could have fitted a 3.5mm headphone jack into their latest phones and they didn't because they're incompetent or evil. But... I kind of doubt they chose not to solely in order to drive the sales of their wireless headphones and dongles. AirPods would be selling great even if the latest iPhones had 3.5mm jacks because they're a great product, and Apple's profit, if any, on their $9 Lightning adapters is utterly insignificant to their business. And while I don't know for sure yet, I similarly expect that the latest Google phones will include a USB->3.5mm headphone adapter in the box, and that their new headphones will also be a worthy product in their own right and more than just a dongle-avoidance alternative to wired headphones.

edited October 2017
    Companies aren't benevolent, they're here to make money.

They could have added the port, it's been done by third parties, they just chose not to because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They could've added an extra quarter inch to the bottom of the device to the upsettedness of no one and tossed it in. A 2nd lightning/USB-C jack would've been a good compromise!

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.