As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark & Light] It's fantasy ARK, basically.

13»

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Server updated again

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I think the DnL devs need to tweak their spawnrates a bit. While I was exploring I came across this.
    CBCEF31FE73CD371E8D24A71CF355F4B2589C6E5
    C033DFCB075149B111742F207832550F57132656

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    Server is still going, and updated.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Nobody logged into the server last month, and I received no donations toward its upkeep. Server is no longer active. There doesn't seem to be much interest in this game at this point either around here, at least at the moment.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Nobody logged into the server last month, and I received no donations toward its upkeep. Server is no longer active. There doesn't seem to be much interest in this game at this point either around here, at least at the moment.

There doesn't seem to be much "game" there (yet?). I could see eventually installing this on my Linux box in the garage and letting it run 24/7, but for now I just don't have any reason to do so.
    Stupid wrote: »
    Is there a description of the RPG elements of this game somewhere? I was mildly interested in ARK as a survival/LANparty game and the switch to a fantasy/RPG based environment is a tiny bit more interesting. Are there quests? Is there some kind of overarching story, or is it just survive/build/progress? I see some kind of faction-based talk. What are the factions and how do they differ (if at all)? Are there classes (i.e. "holy trinity") or is it more-or-less every person for themselves and more power basically comes from having more people in a fight?

All of the reviews take ARK as a baseline and then talk about how this game differs from that one. But for people like me that never played ARK (for whatever reason), I'm not really interested in how ARK-like this game is; rather tell me about Dark and Light and why I want to play it...?

Most of that stuff isn't in the game yet, the devs say its about 30% done. Right now its basically ark with magic and a town where guards protect you from terrible enemies that want to wreck you.

26904.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    There's a lot more "game" to it than Ark had when it launched, buut Ark also had much less competition at the time. Ark also patched crazy fast, which helps with keeping a community going.

Some day there will be a beautiful PvE Dark and Light server with people on it, but it does not seem like today is that day.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I agree. I'm still having fun right now, but mostly because I'm sinking a lot of time into building a dwarven fortress with the manor pieces.

I think the framework is great, it just needs more content. I'll be playing on another private server, but I'd probably give it another 60-90 days before I look at recommending people pick this up fresh.

Agreed. I was actually thinking about making this thread myself, but could tell that the performance issues were going to bar a ton of people from playing for awhile. That's probably the main barrier for a lot of people now -- my roommate was super excited to give it a try but it just ran horribly on his not-terrible PC. Lots of people you know playing does wonders to make up for a lack of structured content.

I'll admit that a lot of my enjoyment is how damn pretty it is -- having a beautiful world to explore and inhabit helps a ton with a lack of content too.

I cant wait till there are more updates. I hope they update a little faster. Conan is so far turning out to be the better fantasy survival. They update it much faster, and my server is still going with donations and everything.

It was plagued with performance issues for the first couple weeks, and Snail was actually pretty quick to fix those. The biggest "performance" bug I've heard about lately is where you'll get the black screen of death, and can have issues logging back into the game until someone kills you. Otherwise, the games mostly runs fine.

It's a content/differentiation thing. As @Elimination pointed out, there's other game options that are much farther along, with deeper content. If you want ARK, go play ARK. I haven't played Conan, but sounds like that's been coming along as well...Dark and Light needs to find it's niche. I'd love them to focus more on bringing the RPG/MMO feel to a survival game, and put more emphasis on PvE/Group content so that it plays a lot like a mini-MMO with survival elements.

If they're just going for fantasy ARK...well...ARK is fantastical enough with substantially more polish and content. It's like why WoW-clones constantly fail in the MMORPG space...if I want to play a game "like WoW" I'll just play the best version of it, which is actually WoW. Same for D&L vs ARK.

ironzerg wrote: »
    It was plagued with performance issues for the first couple weeks, and Snail was actually pretty quick to fix those. The biggest "performance" bug I've heard about lately is where you'll get the black screen of death, and can have issues logging back into the game until someone kills you. Otherwise, the games mostly runs fine.

It's a content/differentiation thing. As @Elimination pointed out, there's other game options that are much farther along, with deeper content. If you want ARK, go play ARK. I haven't played Conan, but sounds like that's been coming along as well...Dark and Light needs to find it's niche. I'd love them to focus more on bringing the RPG/MMO feel to a survival game, and put more emphasis on PvE/Group content so that it plays a lot like a mini-MMO with survival elements.

If they're just going for fantasy ARK...well...ARK is fantastical enough with substantially more polish and content. It's like why WoW-clones constantly fail in the MMORPG space...if I want to play a game "like WoW" I'll just play the best version of it, which is actually WoW. Same for D&L vs ARK.

I agree with this 100%. I like D&L but it needs a bit more time in the oven to flesh out what exactly it wants to be.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this game worth $20 bucks? It's on sale right now for the Steam Thanksgiving sale.

Reading this thread it sounds like maybe not. I had to do some archaeology to even find this thread. It seems as if interest has waned. A lot.

Depends on what you want! If you have a powerful rig and like inhabiting and surviving in incredibly pretty fantasy worlds, definitely. That's worth more than $20 to me with the amount of content in it, but I know that not everyone feels the same.

If you're more attracted to PvP or an in depth end game...probably not. I don't have experience with either but I find PvP in games like this to be absolutely horrendous (and it was a bit exploitey around the time I was playing if you are into the genre), and when I stopped playing the end game was an Ark-like "tame all of the cool stuff and build a base in a crazy place".

I got 75 hours out of it, and it would have been a lot more if anyone but Keagle and I were on my server at the time. If we had a PvE server with a population of 4+ people I would recommend it many times over.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Definitely not looking for PVP.

I like ARK, but to me, the appeal is in surviving and crafting. And ARK's biggest fault (in my eyes) is that after a person builds something as simple as a wall around their perimeter, it makes survival 100% trivial and dinosaurs no longer become a threat. Then the game is only about PVP, and I don't want to do that. So I burned out on ARK fast because there's simply not enough survival or PVE to keep me interested.

Conan, on the other hand, has already been worth 229 hours so far. I love that game. And at this point I have played that game so very much that I'm just waiting for it to grow, giving it a chance to expand, and then I'll jump back in for another round.

I don't know what I would want to get out of Dark and Light. None of my friends play it, so it would mostly just to be to dick around and see what's what. And maybe that isn't worth $20.

IF you can find a populated server...I'm not one to recommend public servers in case of a game like this, as they'e basically shitholes...but, the population is severely lacking, it seems.

To be honest, probably better "to dick around" games...personally I just picked up ESO at 50% off, which will give me plenty of dick o'round for my buck.

edited November 2017
    Yeah, it hews closer to Ark than Conan. There seems like a huuuuge divide between people who consider Ark's style good content or not. I'm good with having my base in a simple area be relatively safe -- there are many more difficult areas that are not (in Ark and Dark and Light), and there's always a bigger challenge to tackle. It just doesn't necessarily knock on your door. I've always considered Ark and Dark and Light to have much more to do than Conan as a result (waaaay more monster variety, and they all behave differently with special skills), but I know that a lot of people enjoy Age of Conan and can't fathom enjoying Ark for hundreds of hours in PvE.

This game literally uses the Ark engine and has a solid amount of the same exo-skeleton, so yeah.

Fiatil on