As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: New trailer, still no release date

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yus, Hidden Dreeeams.

Fun little update. Couple of new bosses, super fun fights, and apparently you can fight them as many time as you want (and they get harder every time!) so something for people who like a challenge. Once was enough for me, thanks! You also get some new fast travel options - the new upgrade for the Dream Nail lets you set a waypoint wherever you want that you can teleport to whenever you want. You can get it about halfway through the game, so it would probably really help with traveling and speedruns.

Team Cherry has said there will be two more free DLC updates akin to this one, and at some point in the future a paid DLC with a second character. This game has become an instant classic and one of my favorites really fast, on par with Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. It's like the most awesome incarnation of the genre I've ever played.

H9f4bVe.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I bought the thing. I will try it tomorrow

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    The new fights were pretty good theme-wise, but I didn't really like the mechanics of either (too much random jumping around) and definitely don't like the 'difficulty' of them hitting for 6 masks a hit.

A bit underwhelmed with this update, good thing it's free!

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Reddit AMA for the team is happening!

Lots of fun questions being answered, and confirms that the next free update pack is being developed, with a third on the way, and word is they'll be bigger than Hidden Dreams (which was fun but admittedly was not exactly huge).

H9f4bVe.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the game so far, but there isn't much to spend money on yet.

Hallownest Halloween! Yay!
    New Major Quest – Light the Nightmare Lantern and summon the Grimm Troupe to Hallownest, if you dare! Take part in a twisted ritual that stretches the breadth of the kingdom and bestows the player with a powerful new ally.

New Boss Fights – What epic quest is complete without epic show-downs? Get ready to face off against a dark new foe and a twisted scarlet spectre. Who are they? What brings them to Hallownest? We won’t spoil the surprise!

4 New Charms – We’re going all out with the quest, but that’s not enough! Your charm range is also expanding, granting unique new aids and abilities. You’ll have to discover their powers for yourself, but their appearance may give a few hints.

New Enemies – The arrival of the Troupe doesn’t just mean enormous boss encounters, it also brings new smaller (but challenging!) foes to test your nail and spells against. Your Hunter’s Journal is going to be overflowing by the time your done!

New Friends – Grimm’s clan may appear scary but they aren’t all bad. Get ready to befriend a new bunch of weirdos, including one who offers a very special service for players flush with Geo!

New Music – Tying this whole cavalcade together are all new spooky and spine tingling tracks by Christopher Larkin. Get ready to feel the fear!

Map Markers – In a world as big as Hallownest finding your way is the greatest challenge of all, and you’ll now have an extra tool in your cartographic journeys with custom Map Markers! Place them anywhere on your maps to remember a point of interest, a difficult foe or an item just out of reach.

Grimm’s quest, and all other new features can be accessed at any point in your Hollow Knight journey. Muster your courage and summon the Troupe! Descending this Halloween.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i just got into hollow knight and fucking adore it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh there's a thread for this, I'd run a search but it didn't come up.

So. This game is fucking amazing. And the difficult parts, which are frequent, make me mad. But in a good way for the most part... UNTIL the White fucking Palace. I'm currently stuck. I can't backtrack to exit from the bench I'm saved to, and going forward is even more difficult.

Henroid wrote: »

So. This game is fucking amazing. And the difficult parts, which are frequent, make me mad. But in a good way for the most part... UNTIL the White fucking Palace. I'm currently stuck. I can't backtrack to exit from the bench I'm saved to, and going forward is even more difficult.

Yeah, White Palace is brutal. Your choice of charms can soften the difficulty if you've picked up the right ones. Spell Twister, Grubsong, and Deep Focus basically gives you infinite health since you recover enough Soul from taking hits to heal indefinitely.

H9f4bVe.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Yeah, White Palace is brutal. Your choice of charms can soften the difficulty if you've picked up the right ones. Spell Twister, Grubsong, and Deep Focus basically gives you infinite health since you recover enough Soul from taking hits to heal indefinitely.
    I feel guilty changing to that setup.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    This game is very hard. I bought a pad, which will maybe help. I don't think I'm even at the hard parts, though.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    another tip i've heard is to use the dpad instead of the control stick

edited October 2017
    I fucking HATE the White Palace oh my god. It's like "good job, now do all that but while backflipping."

Edit - Oh my god it's over. It's finally over.

Henroid on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    This game is very hard. I bought a pad, which will maybe help. I don't think I'm even at the hard parts, though.

This game destroyed my thumb.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I'm doing some monster journal cleanup right now. I still haven't figured out how to open the black walls. And I still have one more challenge to go in the Colosseum thing (which I haven't even attempted). But all three of the dream things have been dealt with so I assume I can get to the end now.

I'm doing some monster journal cleanup right now. I still haven't figured out how to open the black walls. And I still have one more challenge to go in the Colosseum thing (which I haven't even attempted). But all three of the dream things have been dealt with so I assume I can get to the end now.

With the three dreamers you can access the final boss, yes. Beating it at this point would get you the first ending. FYI you can re-load at the last save point to keep going and unlock the rest of the stuff after.

H9f4bVe.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Has there been any news about the Switch version of this lately?

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I don't think so. Though the dev has apparently said that this new expansion content will be included in the Switch version of HK. I'd imagine we'll see it by the end of the year, which... would have been too long to wait for me about a week ago. But suddenly, I'm overwhelmed with other Switch indies and am okay with a little more space before HK.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I don't think so. Though the dev has apparently said that this new expansion content will be included in the Switch version of HK. I'd imagine we'll see it by the end of the year, which... would have been too long to wait for me about a week ago. But suddenly, I'm overwhelmed with other Switch indies and am okay with a little more space before HK.

Last thing they said was it will be sometime after the Halloween update.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited October 2017
    Hey so the final boss.
    For the best ending.
    JESUS JUMPED UP CHRIST this is difficult. The attacks come too fast for me to register to stop moving or to get into a particular position. At least I found out that the Up+Spell finally has a practical use. I mean, the Hollow Knight himself is a goddamn chump. I whoop his ass even purposely triggering his counter attack and I just parry that shit.

Henroid on
    I have done it, I have beaten the final boss. That was quite a motherfucker of a fight. It took me more than a dozen tries.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I should get back in on this, do that new content they added a little while ago.

I just looked up what the features of Hidden Dreams were, since I haven't played the game without it being a part of it all, and a couple of those features seemed like they were baseline for the game. The two bosses it added are absolutely secrets (one of which I had to look up), heh. Not a TON of content but whatever, it's a game update. I wonder what specifically the Halloween update will add.

I did a lot of poking around / achievement hunting on my file. Now all that's left literally is the Zote achievement and all the game completion related stuffs. I already wrote up a preliminary document to help me figure out the game's layout, where important things are and what route I 'should' take. I'll probably be refining it a lot. And watch the speedrunners. Because this game has its gross hooks in me right now.

Judging by what Hidden Dreams added, Grimm Troupe already seems bigger. Sounds like there will be new regular enemies as well - I'm hoping for areas to be affected and spawn a different set of enemies, like how the Abandoned Crossroads became the Infected Crossroads. Plus new charms!

H9f4bVe.png
    edited October 2017
    Hold on to your butts, Grimm Troupe launches tomorrow!

http://teamcherry.com.au/the-grimm-troupe-release-date-inktober-pax-aus-speedrun/

New music has already been previewed on YouTube. Here's the main theme for the Troupe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmsjvBivRkU

edit - It's out! Happy Halloween!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The game that keeps on giving. I haven't even played the last two free DLCs yet.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I didn't even know they were working on another DLC (paid this time) for Hornet as a playable. That's going to be incredible.

I really do love this game.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know they were working on another DLC (paid this time) for Hornet as a playable. That's going to be incredible.

I really do love this game.

I haven't installed it on my new PC because I keep waiting for a chance to bang out the endgame and the new stuff all in one more or less continuous shot, but that might put me over the edge.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I wonder how much of these free updates were originally planned content cut to make a deadline that they're now being super generous about. It's really cool of them to be doing this. :D

I wonder how much of these free updates were originally planned content cut to make a deadline that they're now being super generous about. It's really cool of them to be doing this. :D

Their initial Kickstarter campaign might give a bit of insight into that. Honestly, I don't see any sign in their stretch goals of any of the content released in these DLCs in their initial plan.

ae60791993cc754e7bfe7920a4baab79_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1418944287&auto=format&q=92&s=1293c0010f22dae6def95402a60adf16

If they ever do bring back any cut content, I hope it's that 'Abyss' expansion...!

H9f4bVe.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really need to get back into this

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I really wish we'd given them all the monies back for their kickstarter.

steam_sig.png
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I really need to get back into this
    So do I. I actually started a document to try and work out a 100% speedrun route.

McMoogle wrote: »
    I really wish we'd given them all the monies back for their kickstarter.

Everybody make up for it by buying the soundtrack and the Switch version!

H9f4bVe.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

This is an insanely awesome update post. I've been so patient in waiting for the Switch release and avoiding it on PC - and it's so cool that they just.. keep.. adding to this game.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    If you go to the Press Release section of their website there are some gigantic high res textless images that make really good phone/desktop wallpapers.

I hope the new mode is a boss rush.

Team Cherry has put a new update on Steam Public Beta - The Lifeblood Update!

lifeblood_banner_02-1024x547.jpg

It's not for the full-on Gods and Glory content pack, but there are a few neat updates, including Map Markers! Some of these changes and updates were made to be included for the upcoming Switch release, so we know that's steadily getting closer!

http://teamcherry.com.au/lifeblood-update/

There's a new boss in there somewhere too!

H9f4bVe.png