As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Battle Chaussures

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Battle Chaussures

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    Is it a good rpg? Never read the comics it's apparently based off...

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Dont cry for the gamers, lady. We're already dead.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm imagining an extra dialog balloon from the old lady that just says "Consoles are for kids, PC for life."

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    SpinelesS wrote: »
    Is it a good rpg? Never read the comics it's apparently based off...

It doesn't break any grounds but it's a solid and charming RPG, it has a fantastic art style and the animations are wonderfully done. It's worth checking out for sure.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kick'd this myself, and its sitting in my steam library. I'm diving into it soon as I wrap up my Total Warhammer campaign.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    It's a bit pricey for Switch...maybe I'll wait for a Steam sale.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This old lady is remarkably chill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JackJack Registered User regular
    Love Battle Chasers. Backed the Kickstarter. Haven't played much of the game yet - I'm delving into Breath of the Wild at the moment.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Ah, Battle Chasers. I actually have most of those comics in a box in my closet. It might even be all of them...I no longer remember. I'd have to dig them out to find out.

I do recall liking them and watching (more often than not, in vain) for that next issue to show up in the comic store. I may have to check out this game.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I always appreciate Tycho's names for Gabe, but the one in today's news post was perhaps my favorite.

I definitely get this way about movies and games I really like, especially if they seem to have flown under the radar. Unfortunately not that many people in real life are interested in such proselytizing. So I go on the internet, where I am informed that the thing I thought I liked is actually terrible.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I always appreciate Tycho's names for Gabe, but the one in today's news post was perhaps my favorite.

I definitely get this way about movies and games I really like, especially if they seem to have flown under the radar. Unfortunately not that many people in real life are interested in such proselytizing. So I go on the internet, where I am informed that the thing I thought I liked is actually terrible.

Pfft, what does the Internet know anyway? Thats where Anti-vaxxing comes from.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, I just lost 4 hours to this game without realizing it. So, I'd say it's pretty good!

It's not perfect, though. The voice acting is not very good, and it hitches a lot on PS4. I've also had it crash twice which is a little annoying. Good stuff overall, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    I'm right there with Gabe and his love for all things Joe Mad. I became a fan a long ass time ago when he was drawing X-Men. Didn't really get into Battle Chasers as I was not collecting comics when it came out, but I gave it a look and naturally it was beautiful.

Have not heard of this game, but will buy.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jesus christ this game crashes so fucking much... It's really souring my opinion of it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. This is on the Switch, where I want more games to play. It looks sort of like... Torchlight or something? What's special?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Jesus christ this game crashes so fucking much... It's really souring my opinion of it.
    Only one crash so far on PC, as I was attempting to exit the game.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hmm. This is on the Switch, where I want more games to play. It looks sort of like... Torchlight or something? What's special?
    It's a turn based RPG based on a comic book series.
    Think of the combat kind of like FFX, where you can see the action order, so sometimes you might need to use a fast move instead of a slow one in order to kill an enemy before their next turn.
    There's a couple different classes of things you can do in combat.
    Actions are instant, and are generally simple attacks, or defensive moves. I'm level 12 and all my characters only have 3 actions to choose from. Most of them generate "Overcharge". You can also generate Overcharge from passive perks and item enchantments.
    Abilities are not instant, but are more powerful. You get a lot more of them (about 9 per character so far for me.) Abilities cost mana, but if you have any Overcharge, it will consume that first allowing you to cast them at a discount, or even for free. A few abilities interact with Overcharge in other ways, such as consuming more Overcharge than the mana cost, doing extra damage.

There's an overworld to wander around in, "exploration areas" and dungeons, which are semi-randomly generated.
    Loot is also semi-random. Stuff drops for around the level of the area you're in, but can vary in quality and also get a bonus enchantment. You can also craft and enchant gear.

It's pretty fun so far. I picked it up last night and spent most of today playing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    wallywest wrote: »
    I'm right there with Gabe and his love for all things Joe Mad. I became a fan a long ass time ago when he was drawing X-Men. Didn't really get into Battle Chasers as I was not collecting comics when it came out, but I gave it a look and naturally it was beautiful.

Have not heard of this game, but will buy.

Loved his run as a penciler during the Age of Apocalypse storyline. His style is exaggerated but in a polished way.....unlike some other infamous artists of that era.

• Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Today's post from Tycho makes me sad that he had to grow up with mostly American comics in a period where it was still roughly 98% about super-heroes with stories told in uninteresting ways.

Imagine if he'd grown up in, say, France instead. Or most Western European countries, where comics were being taken seriously, and where people could easily acquire mature* content. Having Franquin easily available, and Benoit Sokal* only slightly less available. He would probably be a "comics guy" there.

Man, that "Comics Code" really fucked things up.

*Mature as in "needing to be mature to understand what it's really about", not as in "sex and gore", just so we're clear on that.

**His "Inspector Canardo" series is still some of my favourite comics ever. Seriously dark, with some dark humour to match.

But signatures don't really work, do they?