As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Basecoats done... why can't that be the end of it? I suppose it IS the ITC minimum...

V5wtBq5.jpg

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Da Bid DabidDa Bid Dabid Registered User regular
    I've learned a lot about painting minis at this stage of my life compared to the past over the last week. With my two young kids finding a night to paint (both availability and energy) has been difficult, so this small squad took me like 2 weeks to finish, just because finding time was so scarce. Considering how many minis are in this 40k project I think I'm gonna need to find a way to paint the rest a bit quicker than these 5 took. The scheme is so dark that the highlights don't show all that much so sacrificing a little bit for speed prolly won't be a big deal. Maybe like base color and wash and then just do a little tidy up on face plus a drybrush or something... we'll see. Also I'm not a huge fan at the effort and result in painting black so I need to experiment and find a different way to do that. I've included the Prime I hacked up and pieced together, he also will have shoulder pads and a cape added. If anyone has any suggestions for a color that may look good to accent on the cape I'm all ears. Red jumps out as an obvious complimentary color first, but was looking for maybe something a bit different. Despite what seems like complaining I had a lot of fun with these and enjoy the scheme. I think it will look good on the table.

hPmnFn1.jpg

Also I spent some time while doing these on my true miniature love 15mm. I bought some new paints to try out and really enjoyed the Reaper Master Series, for now that will be my go to when I need to pick up more colors. Did the Tanned Skin triad on this figure and the consistency of the paint and finish just feels like it matches my painting style. I THINK I finally figured out a way that isn't completely insane to do a tartan at this scale. Was really happy how the whole mini turned out.

KU8Zozg.jpg

4qwiKH6.jpg

I have a bunch more 15mm adventurers for RPGs, then I'd like to start a 15mm Orc army for wargames.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The best looking and easiest blacks have barely any actual black in them. A dark grey basecoat, a grey highlight and a dark wash will make a great looking black, especially for the cloth and leather you’d be using it on with Guardsmen.

As far as capes, Dracula had the right idea. Make it dark on the outside and a nice complimentary color to your uniforms on the inside. An orangeish red, cream, or even purple.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Woke up to a very healthy Paypal balance and lots of stuff to send off.

Guess I'd better buy some Repulsors or something.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Kneel I'm curious, you're in the UK right? If so, that's a bummer

Cause I have an entire converted 2k point space wolves army I don't have the time to paint....

• Options
    I keep a PayPal account unlinked to any bank accounts that I try to use for the majority of my filthy hobby addictions. Selling old unwanted stuff is the only way to raise it. I like to think this is what keeps me from ending up on one of those hoarder shows with a home crammed full of plastic and a tiny sleeping area in the corner of a bathroom.

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    Kneel I'm curious, you're in the UK right? If so, that's a bummer

Cause I have an entire converted 2k point space wolves army I don't have the time to paint....

I'm not quite up to doing commissions yet but...

You never know.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Badablack wrote: »
    I keep a PayPal account unlinked to any bank accounts that I try to use for the majority of my filthy hobby addictions. Selling old unwanted stuff is the only way to raise it. I like to think this is what keeps me from ending up on one of those hoarder shows with a home crammed full of plastic and a tiny sleeping area in the corner of a bathroom.

I, on the other hand... don't do that.

sPT6B7G.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    One bloke alone snapped up 75% of my painted Tyranids for around four hundred quid. That was quite a big box.

Still working on that Land Raider inbetween running boxes to the post office though.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »

I, on the other hand... don't do that.

sPT6B7G.jpg

Seems normal?

• Options
    easiest blacks

Primer

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    easiest blacks

Primer

Yeah. Specifically, this one. Plus a black shade wash.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's been around 5 months or so since I last did anything with this, but tonight I did the yellow and other fiddly bits, and finally its looking like an actual thing :)

Long ways to go, what with decals then weathering. So I guess we'll see if I can knock that out quicker. It's safe to say I seriously underestimated the work involved with painting these things. I learned a whole lot I hope I can apply to the others I have.

Unm1yCy.jpg

J on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Micro set tastes horrible. Lesson learned.

lGCS2sV.png

Also this is stressfull. Like woah.

• Options
    J wrote: »
    Micro set tastes horrible. Lesson learned.

...why was it in your mouth?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Someone's a brushlicker.

:lol:

• Options
    Someone's a brushlicker.

:lol:

Komets' deadly legacy.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I got bored and had some spare chaos minis I can't use in my death guard, and I'd just finished reading First Heretric so here's some word bearers

Edit: And on brush licking when I was younger I put the end of a brush in my mouth to hold it, not realising it had rolled into some super glue.

Glueing a brush to my tounge was not pleasant.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I've learned a lot about painting minis at this stage of my life compared to the past over the last week. With my two young kids finding a night to paint (both availability and energy) has been difficult, so this small squad took me like 2 weeks to finish, just because finding time was so scarce. Considering how many minis are in this 40k project I think I'm gonna need to find a way to paint the rest a bit quicker than these 5 took. The scheme is so dark that the highlights don't show all that much so sacrificing a little bit for speed prolly won't be a big deal. Maybe like base color and wash and then just do a little tidy up on face plus a drybrush or something... we'll see. Also I'm not a huge fan at the effort and result in painting black so I need to experiment and find a different way to do that. I've included the Prime I hacked up and pieced together, he also will have shoulder pads and a cape added. If anyone has any suggestions for a color that may look good to accent on the cape I'm all ears. Red jumps out as an obvious complimentary color first, but was looking for maybe something a bit different. Despite what seems like complaining I had a lot of fun with these and enjoy the scheme. I think it will look good on the table.

hPmnFn1.jpg

Also I spent some time while doing these on my true miniature love 15mm. I bought some new paints to try out and really enjoyed the Reaper Master Series, for now that will be my go to when I need to pick up more colors. Did the Tanned Skin triad on this figure and the consistency of the paint and finish just feels like it matches my painting style. I THINK I finally figured out a way that isn't completely insane to do a tartan at this scale. Was really happy how the whole mini turned out.

KU8Zozg.jpg

4qwiKH6.jpg

I have a bunch more 15mm adventurers for RPGs, then I'd like to start a 15mm Orc army for wargames.

I've thought about 15mm RPG stuff before but I have so much 28mm stuff from other games that it seems like I'd be making life harder for little gain by getting a bit of both instead of focusing on one.

How's the variety of 15mm figures?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I'm on the home stretch with this one.

And I've siphoned off some of the profits from my model sales to buy a pair of Repulsor tanks. More painting and selling to come.

u0tacbigs94w.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Did you do hairspray weathering on that one?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Nah, Maskol weathering. It's less messy in my experience.

I use hairspray weathering on smaller areas, like number stencils.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

Do you just dab it on with a brush, spray over it, then rub it off?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

Do you just dab it on with a brush, spray over it, then rub it off?

I airbrush the browns, dab maskol with some wool scourer, airbrush the blues and then remove the maskol with blutac.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The wife is working on her guard, and they have a big, black chest plate in the center of the model. It's definitely a spot that needs some sort of dramatic highlighting. I was thinking about suggesting a blue highlight on that chest piece, rather than the grey. I'm wondering if that'll look odd with a bunch of red on the mini though. Anyone have any color/black highlighting recommendations? I'm definitely a fan of dramatic edge highlighting on blacks for tabletop quality minis (competition showpieces get special stuff) but normally I'd just suggest a grey here.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    A good recipe for shiny black is (using GW colors):
    1. Base black
    2. thick edge highlight Dark Reaper
    3. thin edge highlight Thunderhawk Blue
    4. Thinner edge highlight on the top edges Fenrisian Grey
    5. Tiny dot of white where light would hit

Shitty photo of the result*:
    CEkT0usl.jpg

* I used Reaper instead of GW paints.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I've had a hard time making black armor look anything but unfinished. I'll have to try that list if I ever do more Black Legion marines

• Options
    After having Keen do a bunch of my BT, I can vouch he knows how to do a pretty black.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So I just got some Warmachine mini's, and I haven't ever painted mini's before. I've heard that craft acrylics aren't quite the thing for miniatures, but my wife has a large selection of them already. Should I try and find some of the cheaper model paints, or is it not going to be much of an improvement over the acrylics?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mini paints are a massive improvement over craft paints. Craft paints tend to be lightly pigmented (which means it takes a lot of coats for solid color), very thick (which means it will exacerbate every new painter's problems with not knowing how to thin their paints), and what little pigment they do have is very coarse (relatively speaking, dedicated mini paints have a very fine - if not liquid - pigment) which leads to an awful, chalky finish.

Points 1 & 2 work hand in hand for disastrous results.

That said, if you have them and are morally, geographically, or financially against buying mini paints then they can work. Just have a tub of Simple Green on hand to strip them and start over as you learn.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mini paints are a massive improvement over craft paints. Craft paints tend to be lightly pigmented (which means it takes a lot of coats for solid color), very thick (which means it will exacerbate every new painter's problems with not knowing how to thin their paints), and what little pigment they do have is very coarse (relatively speaking, dedicated mini paints have a very fine - if not liquid - pigment) which leads to an awful, chalky finish.

Points 1 & 2 work hand in hand for disastrous results.

That said, if you have them and are morally, geographically, or financially against buying mini paints then they can work. Just have a tub of Simple Green on hand to strip them and start over as you learn.

Having just brought a baby home from the hospital (what was I thinking getting into war games), I'm mostly concerned with being able to do it frugally. I'm assuming I should prime them regardless of the paint used?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Da Bid DabidDa Bid Dabid Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

I've thought about 15mm RPG stuff before but I have so much 28mm stuff from other games that it seems like I'd be making life harder for little gain by getting a bit of both instead of focusing on one.

Short Answer: 15mm Fantasy is good, 15mm Sci Fi is really good.

Long Answer: So I chose 15mm because I actually enjoy painting them more than 28s, but the smaller footprint on the table ends up being a huge plus as well especially when playing an RPG. As far as variety goes I try to shop only in the US so that restricts me to basically 4 companies for most of my purchases - Splintered Light (has a great rpg and fantasy section), Khurasan (very LOTR style orcs and some cool undead), Battle Valor (Amazing sculpts, tend to be a bit chunkier and range is currently expanding as they are newer), and Rebel Minis (I don't have a ton of their stuff as I generally prefer the other companies but theres some cool sculpts there too). I am planning on breaking my rule and making a UK order because Copplestone's 15mm range is insanely good. If you open up all the 15mm figs in the UK you have an insane amount of variety and styles. Demonworld is a very Games Workshop-esque range of 15mm that is particularly popular for fantasy.

15mm will not be for everyone as some think it loses that epic feel for smaller skirmish stuff. Personally I don't get that feeling at all so I couldn't be happier doing the smallest skirmish or larger battles than 28s would allow with the same figures. I am only keeping some 28s for 40k because everyone else plays at that scale, if I could shrink all minis down to 15s, I would in a heartbeat.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to sit down and do some painting this weekend, but I hate some of the recent figures I painted a few months ago. What do you guys recommend for stripping paint off a mini?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think I'm going to sit down and do some painting this weekend, but I hate some of the recent figures I painted a few months ago. What do you guys recommend for stripping paint off a mini?

Simple green.

Or what folks use to use. With most stuff the paint comes off but the model will be fine.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Super Clean is another option

Nail polish remover can easily strip paint off metal models, do not use it on plastic models as they will melt

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    With those cleaners, would I still dilute it?

• Options
    You don’t need to dilute simple green, super clean, or any of those cleaners. Put it in a bucket, dunk the models, cover, and forget about it for a couple hours. Anything but the most gunked on of primers will come off with some scrubbing with a toothbrush and a toothpick in the recesses.

• Options
    a toothpick in the recesses.

This is the only part that is frustrating. 99% of the model will clean, no problem like bada said, but be prepared for an intense amount of work getting everything out of some of the nooks and crannies.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

Short Answer: 15mm Fantasy is good, 15mm Sci Fi is really good.

Long Answer: So I chose 15mm because I actually enjoy painting them more than 28s, but the smaller footprint on the table ends up being a huge plus as well especially when playing an RPG. As far as variety goes I try to shop only in the US so that restricts me to basically 4 companies for most of my purchases - Splintered Light (has a great rpg and fantasy section), Khurasan (very LOTR style orcs and some cool undead), Battle Valor (Amazing sculpts, tend to be a bit chunkier and range is currently expanding as they are newer), and Rebel Minis (I don't have a ton of their stuff as I generally prefer the other companies but theres some cool sculpts there too). I am planning on breaking my rule and making a UK order because Copplestone's 15mm range is insanely good. If you open up all the 15mm figs in the UK you have an insane amount of variety and styles. Demonworld is a very Games Workshop-esque range of 15mm that is particularly popular for fantasy.

15mm will not be for everyone as some think it loses that epic feel for smaller skirmish stuff. Personally I don't get that feeling at all so I couldn't be happier doing the smallest skirmish or larger battles than 28s would allow with the same figures. I am only keeping some 28s for 40k because everyone else plays at that scale, if I could shrink all minis down to 15s, I would in a heartbeat.

Man this post is awesome, I've been working on my own fantasy mass battle game, just for fun really, and the names of UK sites are exactly what I needed, I've been struggling to find some things and literally the first name you gave has them.

It's also reminded me I need to paint what I've built already.

(For those interested the idea is pretty simple, each faction is a fantasy version of a historical people. For example vikings with ice giants and dwarfs, samurai with oni and kappa, and Romans but heavily leaning on the raised by wolves angle, so dire wolves, werewolves that kind of thing.)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Sad confession time!

I found a free two hours yesterday and decided to go to my FLGS to paint the Bandai X-Wing model I assembled. I already bought the paints and brushes a while ago, but am completely new at painting stuff. The owner of the store told me to come by and he'd help me out and was working yesterday.

Unfortunately, he was also in the midst of the new FFG Lord of the 5 Rings game with a different customer. I sat down at a table with other guys painting W40K stuff and unpacked my things. It was then that I realized the owner wasn't going to be finishing anytime soon and I had no idea where to even start. The other guys at the table were nice, and clearly knew each other, but I didn't want to interrupt their painting time.

So I got out my phone and started googling how to paint. Yeah, that started me down a well of tabs explaining the terms I was running into and causing my head to swirl. After about an hour, I packed up my stuff and left without touching a single paint or brush.

I'm so pissed at myself for letting that sort of thing happen. I should have watched some videos before going and just found a place at home to paint. Given what I'm painting, it really shouldn't be that big a deal, even for a complete noob.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.