As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I really hate that Dell keeps putting the camera at the bottom of the screen.

YGp6NrG.jpg

but you can do HUGE HANDS with TINY HEAD and UNDER JOWL LIGHTING

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    While I still think removing 3.5mm jacks is dumb for the various reasons stated in this thread, assuming this becomes the standard (or a standard?), at what point do headphones just get manufactured with USB C jacks? Does this resolve some complaints?

You'd have to change it on all your other devices - tablets, gaming handhelds, pcs, DACs, stereo equipment

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm not sure

I would imagine there is a significant amount of people (me included) who would miss the ability to charge my phone AND listen to music at the same time.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I really hate that Dell keeps putting the camera at the bottom of the screen.

Dell doing their part to combat the instagram angles to hide double chins.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    While I still think removing 3.5mm jacks is dumb for the various reasons stated in this thread, assuming this becomes the standard (or a standard?), at what point do headphones just get manufactured with USB C jacks? Does this resolve some complaints?

lolapple

i wish i wasn't locked into this stupid ecosystem

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I bailed on Apple a long time ago, and I'm really glad I did.

Shit when downhill after 10.4

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

lolapple

Then... Don't be? I mean, you're the consumer. Secretly you have all the power in this relationship.

Knight_ wrote: »

lolapple

Then... Don't be? I mean, you're the consumer. Secretly you have all the power in this relationship.

eh, if this shit is plugged into a work account, or you have a bunch of iOS exclusive apps that you rely on, it can be really difficult to switch your device

it's the reason I'm still using chrome, despite its memory usage being bananas

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    sure, i mean i could switch, but i have hundreds of dollars worth of software on my iphone, and it'd be a pain to switch over.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm not sure

I would imagine there is a significant amount of people (me included) who would miss the ability to charge my phone AND listen to music at the same time.

I think wireless charging solves that issue, and if Apple had waited to remove the jack until they could do wireless charging it would have went over better. Not great, but better.

I could also see usb-c becoming the standard, modern pcs already have the port and newer mobile hardware wouldn't have too much trouble switching over. Anything desk based could get away with a breakout box.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question. How do I turn off the automatic signature my apple watch adds when I respond to an email. It adds "sent from my apple watch" and that is like the dumbest brag.

Also I totally responded to a teacher on my watch and that was cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question. How do I turn off the automatic signature my apple watch adds when I respond to an email. It adds "sent from my apple watch" and that is like the dumbest brag.

Also I totally responded to a teacher on my watch and that was cool.

In the Watch app on your iPhone, there are Mail settings. You can change the signature Mail uses for messages sent from the watch there.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I responded to an email with my apple watch for the first time in history today because the touchscreen of my phone has completely died, and that signature was really handy for letting them know why I replied with nothing but a thumbs up emoji.

Related news: my Apple Watch will only take dictation in French and is prejudiced against Quebecois accents.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My mom got that new car with Bluetooth and stuff.

I think I might get her a gift subscription to Spotify or Google play music?

Which would be more convenient I wonder... She likes classic rock mostly.

Uriel wrote: »

Does the car's entertainment system have apps? A lot of newer cars have screens in the center console and can run their own apps on it, so it might have a Spotify or Google Play app built into it already. Using that would probably be a better user experience than Bluetooth streaming from her phone.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I responded to an email with my apple watch for the first time in history today because the touchscreen of my phone has completely died, and that signature was really handy for letting them know why I replied with nothing but a thumbs up emoji.

Related news: my Apple Watch will only take dictation in French and is prejudiced against Quebecois accents.

I used the little scribble thing on mine. It only works for incredibly short messages. I need to figure out if I can add canned responses like, "That book is on the way."

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited October 2017
    htm wrote: »

Does the car's entertainment system have apps? A lot of newer cars have screens in the center console and can run their own apps on it, so it might have a Spotify or Google Play app built into it already. Using that would probably be a better user experience than Bluetooth streaming from her phone.

I dunno yet. I'll have to get a look at it first. I'll probably have to help her get used to it if it does.

It is a 2017 Jetta I guess. It has a backup camera satellite radio and Bluetooth is all I know so far.

Tallahasseeriel on

I used the little scribble thing on mine. It only works for incredibly short messages. I need to figure out if I can add canned responses like, "That book is on the way."

That'd be super handy on a watch. My phone I think can do that with texts if I reject a call. But it'd be nice to do from my wrist.

I wonder how much an android watch would be?

Yeah, you can edit the canned responses in the Messages settings in Watch app on your phone. The UI is kind of strange. You'd think it be a re-orderable list with a + button, but it's this weird thing where you have to type over existing entries.

I loved my Apple Watch much more once I figured out how to do this. I found dictating replies to be annoying, but got all my usual replies onto, I can answer about 85% of my texts with a button press on my watch.

Yeah, you can edit the canned responses in the Messages settings in Watch app on your phone. The UI is kind of strange. You'd think it be a re-orderable list with a + button, but it's this weird thing where you have to type over existing entries.

I loved my Apple Watch much more once I figured out how to do this. I found dictating replies to be annoying, but got all my usual replies onto, I can answer about 85% of my texts with a button press on my watch.

I figured it out! Yay!

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Google play music is the superior product, from my experience.

Same catalog, excellent randomization/radio algorithm, and simple offline download mode. For $15/mo you can put 5 other people on your account, so they (and you) get the ad free music with downloads, and YouTube red (also a must have if you watch more than 30 minutes of YouTube a week).

Same catalog, excellent randomization/radio algorithm, and simple offline download mode. For $15/mo you can put 5 other people on your account, so they (and you) get the ad free music with downloads, and YouTube red (also a must have if you watch more than 30 minutes of YouTube a week).

Yeah I use it myself. I just don't know if it is the best choice for an older person.

Though I didn't know about that family plan thing. I might actually do that.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I've never used a car UI that was user friendly. They are by and large garbage UI. Hopefully her new car has Android Auto.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Opera is great. They added automatic unit conversion (highlight something like 100 lbs and it'll show the conversion to kg, works with a bunch of different units and currency too) and yeah there are probably extensions that would do the same thing but it's baked in!

Peen on
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I've never used a car UI that was user friendly. They are by and large garbage UI. Hopefully her new car has Android Auto.

YMMV, I guess. Android Auto is certainly nice, but even the rather more primitive touchscreen system in my brother's Toyota pickup truck has a perfectly serviceable Pandora app.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Opera is great. They added automatic unit conversion (highlight something like 100 lbs and it'll show the conversion to kg, works with a bunch of different units and currency too) and yeah there are probably extensions that would do the same thing but it's baked in!
    tun8jx6t88m2.png
    Doesn't recognize a hogshead. :P

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »
    Three and a half hours of train commute a day. Bluetooth music streaming and internet/games. My phone is still at around 40% battery by bed time. Even if I forget to charge the headphones overnight, I still get through two days.

Everyone's use case is different, and some people are pickier than others. And the endless combination of phones and headphones are going to have different results.

Maybe Google and Apple exerting some influence is a good thing. But I'm an unabashed Bluetooth lover. (Note: I am not telling people to suck it up over lack of 3.5mm jack. If you need a jack, buy a phone with a jack.)

What phone do you have that lasts that long?

Moto Z Play and JLab Epic 2 headphones.

And personally, if I'm listening to music for more than a couple of hours at a time, I'm going to be using an over-the-ear headset that gets 10+ hours, easily.

Number One Tricky
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Do the Apple Watch owners in here like'em? I've been looking at getting one for a while

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Do the Apple Watch owners in here like'em? I've been looking at getting one for a while

Love mine. Apple Pay is convenient, messages on my wrist are convenient, fitness tracking is super useful, etc.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited October 2017

The non-fitness stuff is good but not life changing. Like Baroque and Roll said, messages (and phone calls) to your wrist are very convenient. It's a super convenient kitchen timer, too. It's also really great if you constantly misplace your phone in your own home. >.>

For me, though, its essential feature is fitness tracking. My Apple Watch and my HealthKit scale really help me stay consistent with my exercise routine and fitness goals.

htm on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Got my Pebble for $20 that does messaging etc etc on your wrist. Apple's I guess is color...

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Plus you can upload your existing music collection and stream it from anywhere, which is great if you have a large collection of obscure things that were released on vinyl once in 1980.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    My iphone 6 something was getting slow and the battery was getting shit, so I bought a new 64gb 8 today. So far is is essentially identical, except not slow. The non-button home button is throwing me off, but that's minor.

I did learn that prepaid phone plans (tmobile anyways) are not eligible for the iphone upgrade program. TMYK.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    You'd have to change it on all your other devices - tablets, gaming handhelds, pcs, DACs, stereo equipment

I don't even know what a DAC changing even means...like the whole point is to spit out analog, but usb is kinda definitely digital?

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Digital-to-Analog Converters I think

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Digital-to-Analog Converters I think

End is saying that if you change the analog port of a DAC to USBc or whatever then it's not a DAC anymore and rather a DDC. And that kinda defeats the whole purpose of the device.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It's gotta be converted somewhere, and a DAC in the headphones is probably not going to be as good as an external DAC. Probably good enough though.

pimento wrote: »
    It's gotta be converted somewhere, and a DAC in the headphones is probably not going to be as good as an external DAC. Probably good enough though.

Yeah, if you're using a DAC + Amp especially

This discussion has been closed.