As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm talking like a really, REALLY big hand.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Will the party begin after the sun goes down?

If so, decorate the deck with things you can't make out at first. Demons, devils, gargoyles, around the edges that you won't really notice, but are there, lurking. In the dark. Maybe with a few glowing eyes. Waiting for someone to run out of cash and lose their final bet. Ready to collect.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Will the party begin after the sun goes down?

If so, decorate the deck with things you can't make out at first. Demons, devils, gargoyles, around the edges that you won't really notice, but are there, lurking. In the dark. Maybe with a few glowing eyes. Waiting for someone to run out of cash and lose their final bet. Ready to collect.

Hmm, not a bad idea. We're starting two hours after sunset, so that should work.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Yay! I'm a Halloween helper!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Something sinister that is only visible over your shoulder in the bathroom mirror.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Something sinister that is only visible over your shoulder in the bathroom mirror.

This is much more difficult to do than you would think, trust me.

Last year's bathroom was pretty good. We were doing a malevolent faerie thing, but the bathroom mostly just had like, scientific diagrams of plants and animals. Really innocuous stuff.

Except half the lights in the bathroom were replaced with blacklights, and on all the posters and on the mirrors, in UV reactive laundry detergent, there were insidious messages. So if you were viewing it under normal light or the mixed light of the blacklights and the normal light, you wouldn't see anything. But if you switched to just the blacklights there were messages hidden everywhere.

Here's some examples:
    IMG_20161028_201443719_zpsbgzfywzh.jpg
    IMG_20161028_201417013_zpsm5qbjpzz.jpg

Unfortunately that means I'm trying to steer away from some of that this year.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Im gonna dress up like a pokeyman trainer and dress the baby like a litten, then Im gonna throw him at neighborhood dogs

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought "I SHOULD do a blade runner style Android, its moderately low effort." Then I thought, "I should made it more obvious that I'm an Android though. Maybe some barely visible connection seams or subdermal circuitry." Then I thought "wouldn't it be cool if I rigged up a mechanical exoskeletal thumb" and then I realized I'd moved far away from the low effort end of things.

New plan: carve an outfit out of pumpkins.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I thought "I SHOULD do a blade runner style Android, its moderately low effort." Then I thought, "I should made it more obvious that I'm an Android though. Maybe some barely visible connection seams or subdermal circuitry." Then I thought "wouldn't it be cool if I rigged up a mechanical exoskeletal thumb" and then I realized I'd moved far away from the low effort end of things.

New plan: carve an outfit out of pumpkins.

That's weird, my new plan is to kidnap you and use your mechanical aptitude to fuel all of the Halloween nightmares I can't fully realize.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Replicants aren't androids anyway! I'm pretty sure, at least
    They're genetically engineered

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    In the book they're explicitly androids, but you're probably right about the movie. It's been a (worryingly) long time since I saw it and I probably didn't care one way or another at the time.

...so ... I should grow an extra thumb??

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Halloween thread, please don't forget about the Baja Men song about Digimon and Halloween that was in Count Chocula boxes in 2002.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8GFhiWcAI

I'm frankly shocked this isn't in milkglass in some form

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    In the book they're explicitly androids, but you're probably right about the movie. It's been a (worryingly) long time since I saw it and I probably didn't care one way or another at the time.

Nic, why ask questions you know the answer to?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Nic, why ask questions you know the answer to?

:+1::+1::+1:

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    My fiance and I are going to try to dress as Beastly and Shrieky this year. The costumes seem simple enough, but I don't really have any idea where to start for my Beastly. I am working on my chuckle, though.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    October Firrrth

I think last year it’s possible that I covered the book Horrorstör, which I had purchased for my brother (because I am a good sibling). This year I’ve chosen My Best Friend’s Exorcism , also written by Grady Hendrix, because it got some solid reviews! But also I would have chosen it solely on the merits of its rude, rude 80’s VHS book cover. I sincerely hope this is the cover available to people in the United States, too, because it is just so great (but often we get the UK or Australian cover variants here in Singapore).

D4H957Rl.jpg

The book is about two girls who are in high school in the late 80’s. Inseparable friends, they are fumbling their way through the evils of teenage life when things take a turn for the… somewhat-more-literally-evil. The AV Club reviewed it positively, which is my version of LeVar Burton’s “But don’t take my word for it!”

I don’t think I talked about What We Do in the Shadows last year, but if we’re being fully honest, most of the last year of my life has been a bit of a blur. Whatever. We’re talking about it now! It’s a film directed by and starring Jemaine Clement, famously of Flight of the Conchords (a show I do not watch, because I never watch any shows). Done in the style of a documentary, it’s delightfully silly and funny and also like... compelling? You definitely love these dumb, dumb vampires (and also werewolves (but not swearwolves)). See, last year I remember talking about that other vampire documentary (Vampires, it’s Belgian, it’s watchable), but if you have to choose between one or the other films presently existing in the Vampire Mockumentary Cinema category, go with the Jemaine Clement one.

I ask people how they like their “pasghetti” a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAnWmVmDYG8

Bonus! This movie and Hunt for the Wilder People were both ALSO directed/produced/written by Taika Waititi, who is making Thor: Ragnarok! That’s exciting. I’m excited. Get excited.

I’m having a bit of a shit day, so your musical selection goes along with that theme. There’s a Brooklyn, New York record label called Already Dead Tapes and Records, and their stuff is almost universally the kind of weird, hallucinogenic, distorted stuff you would hear playing at half-speed from a cassette player in the basement of a house that had seen a few dozen murders. Sometimes I listen to the album Death Chants, by Ak’chamel, The Giver of Illness, and just think, “Yes, yes, this is about right.” For normal humans, you could slap this album on for your Halloween party and thoroughly freak everyone out.

p3c9K4zm.jpg

Or better, start playing it quietly over the sound system in your home when your SO/partner/roommate thinks they’re alone, and gradually increase the volume over the course of an hour.

Yeah.

Do that one.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I turn 30 today

You're alright, October

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Halloween thread, please don't forget about the Baja Men song about Digimon and Halloween that was in Count Chocula boxes in 2002.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8GFhiWcAI

How I have never heard this before, what the fuck.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't typically post like, arts and crafty things, but I made this halloween wreath for our door

513etbcsrrc6.jpg

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya, What We Do in the Shadows is pretty great

delightfully silly indeed

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    October 5th

TODAY IS A CLIP SHOW CAUSE A) I BEEN DRINKIN AND B) I GOTTA GO SEE BLADE RUNNER 2049, BITCHES

Good thing Key & Peele do some syupa great horror mockery clips. Enjoy behind the cut!

OKAY IT'S A LIE YOUR BONUS MOVIE IS GREMLINS 2 FUCK THE FIRST ONE IT'S ALL ABOUT ANIMAL ABUSE SERIOUSLY I HATE GREMLINS

Gremlins 2 also touches on some fucking iffy stuff, but it crosses my nebulous "unapologetically insane and shitty" threshold and becomes great. It has Christopher Fucking Lee, and Gizmo is pretty much the hero of the movie. So that's all better. Also, there's a bat Gremlin, and like... boobs Gremlin? Nothing in Gremlins 2 makes sense really but that's okay because no one involved in the movie cares at all. It has baffling Looney Toons segments, it takes potshots at all sorts of other movies, there's a bit where the mogwai tear up the reel and make shadow puppets and then HULK HOGAN YELLS AT THEM TO MAKE THE MOVIE COME BACK.

Hey, did you know that they're called mogwai from a Cantonese word that means "evil spirit"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEUYV3KAy4

Oh p.s. Gizmo's owner in the first movie is in the sequel and he's a shitbag human and should never be allowed to own a pet, the end.

Jun Takahashi is the designer behind Undercover; his stuff is… a lot of fun, in my opinion. There’s often what feels to me like a rock and roll aesthetic, combined with a lot of pop sensibility. His 2018 spring/summer collections for men and women have lots of nods to the punk movement, in the sense that they kind of feel like they’re out to get you. His ready-to-wear theme is something along the lines of two-faced or twins, and it’s got these amazing Twin Peaks-feeling dresses, for one.

qUBOtvEl.jpg

For another, the final pair on the runway were actual twins, dressed like the twins from The Shining, with one costume dripping blood-red beads. So that’s rad.

uXDVXp0l.jpg

Also there are these boyos who I feel are likely to kick your face in. Or are they lads? Someone British, help me. Anyway, maybe it’ll be costume inspiration for someone out there?

Zb8oL1Wl.jpg

Last thing today!

Ida Maria is a band I got real, REAL into a few years ago, because of course I did. She has this amazing voice, and plays guitar like hell.* If you're a fan of the Heartless Bastards, you'll probably dig on Ida Maria. It's a loud, heavy rock song. Play this song when you want to feel like a god damn boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4SDBWTqG9Y

*disclaimer - I don't know shit about playing guitar and my opinion about how well someone else plays guitar should be taken accordingly

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gremlins 2 is a cinematic masterpiece

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm going to a halloween party as Covfefe. I just need to figure out a costume for it.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    since folks were talking about are you afraid of the dark? I'll post this here too

https://youtu.be/4qZnNuJDlyk

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Gremlins 2 is a cinematic masterpiece

Gremlins 2 is wonderful if only for the fact of how much time it spends making fun of Gremlins 1 plot.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Neca makes some pretty fancy replica gremlins. I had one for a while before selling it off, they're amazing for hiding in various spots to freak people out. ^.^

• Options
    Gremlins is extremely good but this is entirely the wrong time to be talking about Christmas movies

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Gremlins is extremely good but this is entirely the wrong time to be talking about Christmas movies

Thank goodness we're talking about Gremlins 2 then

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My Best Friends Exorcism is a very good book btw. Couple days late with this news

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    My Best Friends Exorcism is a very good book btw. Couple days late with this news

i pretty much 100% disagree every time with Lost Salient on what "good" is but i'ma read dat book.

if it sucks i will be back here to point fingers

• Options
    I like to think I make up for loving deeply terrible films by having pretty decent taste in literature

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    now i just have the Gremlins theme in my head

and here's the particular source, for me
    https://youtu.be/JgTf-3mTtQg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    I like to think I make up for loving deeply terrible films by having pretty decent taste in literature

did you just call gremlins 2 a terrible movie

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think once my dinner is ready I'm going to start my count down to Halloween viewing of the nightmare on elm street movies. Probably post my impressions of each movie as I finish them every Tuesday and Thursday night right here.

Hopefully I can get ahold of a bluray copy of freddy vs Jason before Halloween night so I can watch that then.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering if anyone here has some suggestions for a fitting piece to pick up or how to make Beastly's little hat he wears?

• Options
    Day 6

In an attempt to match today’s mindset, I have chosen things ranging from difficult to baffling, and also both. Daffling.

Are you familiar with Flying Lotus? He’s a musical artist whose stuff falls generally in the experimental/electronic range. I’m an enormous fan; I’ve caught him live a couple of times and his shows are frenetic and magical. Unrelated: I’ve just realized Cosmogramma came out seven years ago and I’m having trouble dealing.

So, this year, Flying Lotus/Steven Ellison made an experimental film called Kuso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnyZjJnlng

Its critical reception has been… uh… interesting? It premiered at Sundance and at least some people walked out during the screening, which should sort of give you a framework for the kind of upsetting shit you’re in for. It’s firmly in the body horror genre, with a nice healthy dose of psychedelia on top. And by “firmly in the body horror genre” I mean it is probably going to repulse you. Maybe go watch Society first. And then imagine what would happen if John Waters’ filmography dropped acid and had a baby with Society. And then the baby dropped acid, too.

It's on Shudder if you want to watch!

Pinky’s Dream is a song from the album Crazy Clown Time, by David Lynch. Yes, that David Lynch. The vocals are from Karen O. Yes, that Karen O. It’s hard to describe it as properly a fully Halloween song, as it’s neither gimmicky nor overtly about the devil/ghosts/the devil talking to ghosts, but the driving beat and the echoing guitar, combined with Karen O pleading “Please, Pinky, watch the road,” create a really ominous song. I’m an enormous Karen O fan, but the entire album is surprisingly not awful. The song by itself can go right on your personal, private Halloween list, as something to tingle the nerves when you walk home alone in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRehRrS_HNg

Somehow I’ve been doing this thread for years now and I am quite certain I’ve never recommended The Stranger Beside Me. This seems incredibly unlikely, but here we are. Ann Rule set the standard for the new, intimate-portrait sort of true crime that became popular in the 80’s (and in my opinion directly influenced the teen horror genre at the time as well). Rule studied criminology and creative writing, got married, and was living an otherwise ordinary life in the 70’s; she spent some time working at a suicide crisis hotline center in Seattle, and became friends with a colleague by the name of Ted Bundy during that time.

If you live under a rock, Ted Bundy was a serial murderer. He confessed to the murder of 30 victims, but may have killed more; his crimes were really heinous and I’m not going to get into them here, because I don’t want to actually upset anyone. There's a very interesting article about the relationship between Bundy and Rule, that's far better written than anything I could do, here on The New Yorker.

But if you haven’t read the book, Ann Rule then researched and combined her personal experience working next to him with the information she gathered, and The Stranger Beside me is the result.
    The program was simple. First the I.D., next the job, and last, but most important, he would be the most law-abiding citizen who ever walked a Florida street. He promised himself that he would never get so much as a jaywalking ticket, nothing whatever that would cause law enforcement officers to ever glance his way.

He was now a man without any past at all. Ted Bundy was dead.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Seventh Day Octoberists: Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Gonna do this quick-like to stay up to date. Charles Addams is the creator of the New Yorker comic strip that went on to become a 64-episode television series in the 60's, about the gruesome-morbid-comical lives of a family that doesn't seem aware of just how odd their macabre proclivities seem to their neighbors. I don't think they really need much introduction, nor should the theme song (they're altogether ooky). The Addams Family is way better than The Munsters - fight me - which is probably why in the 90's they made two movies starring Angelica Huston, Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd, and Christina Ricci. I think most remakes and adaptations are poop, but The Addams Family and Addams Family Values are both p-r-e-t-t-y fantastic. Raul Julia and Angelica Huston are so unbelievably perfect as Gomez and Morticia that I have literal heart eyes in my regular eyes when I rewatch the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxVWEnuSC0

Did you know that Ray Bradbury spoke to Charles Addams about doing some sort of collaboration, back in the day? Ultimately this never happened, but Bradbury did write a series of short stories about his own family of spooks and monsters, which appeared in various publications over the years. The collection of those short stories is a book called From the Dust Returned.
    We all know how a town can gather need by need until suddenly its heart starts up and circulates the people to their destinations. But how, you ask, does a house arrive?

The fact is that the tree was there and a lumberman passing to the Far West leaned against it, and guessed it to be before Jesus sawed wood and shaved planks in his father's yard or Pontius Pilate washed his palms. The tree, some said, beckoned the House out of tumults of weather and excursions of Time. Once the House was there, with its cellar roots deep in Chinese tombyards, it was of such a magnificence, echoing facades last seen in London, that wagons, intending to cross the river, hesitated with their families gazing up and decided if this empty place was good enough for a papal palace, a royal monument, or a queen's abode, there hardly seemed a reason to leave. So the wagons stopped, the horses were watered, and when the families looked, they found their shoes as well as their souls had sprouted roots. So stunned were they by the House up there by the lightning-shaped tree, that they feared if they left the House would follow in their dreams and spoil all the waiting places ahead.

So the House arrived first and its arrival was the stuff of further legends, myths, or drunken nonsense.

(The linked version is the one with the Charles Addams cover, because continuity.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790tuBXnx-8

Here's a song by The Chesterfield Kings! It's called Running Through My Nightmares, and fits more into the upbeat rock 'n' roll category of Halloween music. This is something you could actually put in a party playlist and it would probably be alright, as opposed to super downer Halloween songs like I've been choosing for the last couple of days. It's sort of retro-60's garage?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My step dad's last name was Adams.

I've always had a love for the Addams family because of that.

It is how I found out I couldn't snap my fingers though.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Both Addams Family movies are legitimate treasures, they hold up incredibly well and I can sit down and watch them basically whenever. They're about as perfectly cast as I could imagine any movies being.

Every time I find my way back to them I'm reminded that they're two of my all time favorites.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There is a Raul Julia line in Addams Family Values that is one of my favourite line deliveries of all time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ww1crg078