As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Damn, I forgot how to tell which ones are Grey Hunters and which are Blood Claws.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    There's not really any difference aesthetically?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm using Imgur now, and want to divest myself of Photobucket.

Why can't I delete any of my photos or albums on Photobucket? Other than the 20 or so add it keeps trying to run while I'm on the site.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

Yea, true. I'll just count them all as Grey Hunters

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but aren't the Hunters the ones with Bolters and Chainswords, while the Blood Claws have pistols and Chainswords? That was the big difference right? Again, I may be completely wrong about it.

In other news, there's a new ongoing campaign/league thing happening at my store with different tiers and challenges and stuff. I'm trying to knock out painting the first two tiers worth of Blood Ravens so I can start issuing some challenges and get out of the shark tank.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

Aren't Grey Wolves the equivalent of tactical marines?

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Grey Hunters are supposed to have hair that is going, well, grey. They can also have a pistol, bolter, AND a chainsword. Bloodclaws are just chainsword and pistol.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Looking through the new guard book, as much as I want to try Tallarn, I may have to test Cadian first. If I take a list I have used a few times before, drop Harker & Yarric to free up 170 pts, add a few more cheap officers, swap out some artillery for more Russes. I end up with almost all the infantry rerolling all misses and just about everything else rerolling 1s to hit if they don't move, and almost nothing in that list moved other than Vultures and Sentinels. If I decide to fit in a tank commander I can even get a few Russes to reroll their number of shots but that might not be needed with the turrets I tend to use.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    My goal is to have an Inquisitor start the game in a Drop Pod with 9 marines without the marines losing their chapter tactics benefit, but I don't think units from one detachment can begin the game embarked on a dedicated transport from a separate detachment.

Nope they can.

yeah nothing stopping units from different detachments from sharing transports as long as they have the required keywords.

Which is a thing inquisitors ignore.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It just sucks that you have to jump through so many hoops in order to have Space Marine army with an Inquisitor in it, considering the amount of power they have in the universe.

I'm not trying to run a Landspeeder Storm with five Grayfaxes or something goofy like that, I just want a one off fluffy list.

Does anyone have a recommended site that shows lists? I want to get an idea of what a good Necron list looks like before I get the army going.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    There really aren't many competitive resources I've found outside of tournament recaps and a few blogs/podcasts. I check out frontlinegaming the most but they are really only focused on reviewing the new codexes right now

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I mean dakka is a pit of despair but you can usually find competitive list there in some of the tourney threads.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It just sucks that you have to jump through so many hoops in order to have Space Marine army with an Inquisitor in it, considering the amount of power they have in the universe.

I'm not trying to run a Landspeeder Storm with five Grayfaxes or something goofy like that, I just want a one off fluffy list.

It's not ideal but taking three Acolytes for an Inquisition Vanguard detachment isn't bad. 24 extra points to get a Command Point alongside your Inquisitor.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Any dedicated 40k site should have a list critiquing sub forum. Check out places like DakkaDakka and Warseer and see if they have anything useful.

edited October 2017
    From what I've seen it seems like I don't even need to buy much. Most lists so far are just tons of Warriors, Immortals, Destroyers, a overlord, and cryptek

I was thinking if rocking some triarch stalkers and some of the deathmarks so I guess I'll modify and see what I can come up with.

Stragint on

Necrons do not currently have a legitimate competitive army, as far as I can tell.

Unless there is some really OP FW stuff that can prop the whole index list up, they're one of the weakest armies atm.

I'm gonna write up more about my tourney today in a day or two, but recap -
    Game 1 vs DA - Tabled him bottom of 4
    Game 2 vs Magnus 1k sons - He had 3 tzaangors left at the bottom of 5, if it continued he was getting tabled
    Game 3 vs Chaos soup with Magnus, 4x malefic lords, etc. - Close match until he made 4x 10" charges and then made something like ~25 saves on berserkers, I conceeded as I wasn't going to win and didn't want to spend 90 minutes fighting for a minor loss.

Necrons do not currently have a legitimate competitive army, as far as I can tell.

Unless there is some really OP FW stuff that can prop the whole index list up, they're one of the weakest armies atm.

That is a bummer to hear. I was planning on buying a triarch, 2 immortals boxes, and two wraith boxes, and an overlord tonight.

Stragint wrote: »

That is a bummer to hear. I was planning on buying a triarch, 2 immortals boxes, and two wraith boxes, and an overlord tonight.

To be fair, I brought one of the most competitive SM armies I could come up with (Without Guilleman) and I got wrecked pretty handily by what I consider one of the lower tier GT competitive style armies.

The REAL competitive armies abuse the hell out of character targeting, smite spam and very hard to shift, efficient hordes.

The semi-competitive armies have lots of high strength firepower and/or fast moving assault units that can bounce into multiple units. Supported with lots of rerolls or enhancing powers.

Necrons don't really have much of either. Their stuff is really overpriced and just unimpressive next to even stuff like SM predators. WBB doesn't do anything if a squad is wiped, and it's not that hard to wipe 20 warriors.

Not to say you can't make a good list that could represent well at some tourneys, and definitely not saying you can't make a very hard list that gives most pick up players fits, but, I don't think Necrons currently have the cost efficient units to really bring the pain.

I'm just gonna be playing casually with a friend so I don't think it will be much of an issue.

I am disappointed to hear they are in the state. Was basically same years ago when I played. Makes me want to just play my Space Wolves.

I'm just gonna be playing casually with a friend so I don't think it will be much of an issue.

I am disappointed to hear they are in the state. Was basically same years ago when I played. Makes me want to just play my Space Wolves.

To be honest, most armies are in this state.

Chaos and Imperial soup armies are basically king at this point.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Was thinking of picking up the new realm of battle, as i like the design on both sides and a few extra ruins are always handy...but then i saw its 5’ 6” x 3' 4" rather than 6x4...
    Why?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Was thinking of picking up the new realm of battle, as i like the design on both sides and a few extra ruins are always handy...but then i saw its 5’ 6” x 3' 4" rather than 6x4...
    Why?

2 x 1.5 meters?

...Just a guess.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2017
    6x4 is 1.8x1.2 meters.

edit: my random guess is because this is made on cardstock.

edit the second: also because they say they want it to fit on a dining table.

Echo on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    6x4 is 1.8x1.2 meters.

edit: my random guess is because this is made on cardstock.

edit the second: also because they say they want it to fit on a dining table.

Yep those are the standard dimensions for a dining table which is pretty clever imo

• DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular

Honestly, if you stand any chance of playing pick-up games with strangers, you really DON'T want to be pre-invested in an OP army:

1. You end up kinda limited in what you can bring, because you'll want to avoid the OP units, and
    2. You'll find that some people may complain about playing / refuse to play against "that OP army."

I've found that playing a second tier army for the past three editions has been great: Close games and easy to calibrate downward while still bringing some of my favorite stuff.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    You can really just wait for Chapter Approved to smooth some things over.

Which part of the rulebook goes over what am army list needs? I feel kind of dumb for this but I'm not really noticing where it specifically gives me the details.

Which part of the rulebook goes over what am army list needs? I feel kind of dumb for this but I'm not really noticing where it specifically gives me the details.

So what you need to look at is the section that describes a battle forged army.

Basic idea is pretty simple. If you army is battle forged you get 3 cp.

Then you can build out stuff that gives you more cp.

A common one is a battalion which is +3 more cp. This is two HQs and 3 Troops choices. My armies then after that tend to include a vanguard or a spearhead. Both are for specific slots. A vanguard is 1 HQ and 3 elites and a spearhead is 1 HQ and 3 heavy supports. There is an outrider which is the same for fast attack. You can do a flier wing which is 3 fliers. These all give you +1 cp for each one fully filled out. The big boy that requires me to be fiddly and not really caring to do it is the Brigade which is +6 cp.

Brigades are a bit of everything. 3 HQs, 6 Troops, 3 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Supports, and 3 Elites.

There are no requirements for an army anymore. The most basic build is 1 HQ and 1 troop choice and that is a patrol. You can if you want just build an army of spearheads with HQs and heavy support or all elites with HQs.

Things to consider with list building now btw:

1)If you are battleforged and all your army has the same keywords, so necrons that is easy, your troops have objective secured which means that they own an objective verse all other units no matter if they are smaller except verse other objective secured.

2)CPs are more useful for armies with codexs but let you do 3 things if you do not. Re-roll 1 dice per phase (1cp), Ignore a morale check (2 cp), interrupt the combat order of charges after the first one so you can fight (2 cp).

List building in 8th is a lot of fun because there really is no troop tax and stuff anymore.

u7stthr17eud.png
    As an example of crazy ass shit you can build you can do a really elite army, this would be basically Abbadon and his elite guard.
    +++ Abbadon (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [60 PL, 994pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Black Legion

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [6 PL, 125pts]: Combi-plasma, No Chaos Mark, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 52pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . 12x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 12x Autogun
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 52pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . 12x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 12x Autogun
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 255pts]: No Chaos Mark
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [54 PL, 1005pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Black Legion

+ HQ +

Abaddon the Despoiler [12 PL, 240pts]: Drach'nyen, Talon of Horus

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 255pts]: Mark of Slaanesh

++ Total: [114 PL, 1999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

That is 30 Termis, Abbadon and a Termi Lord, 26 cultist so you can deep strike two more Termis.

Top it off this is black legion so you can run and shoot up the board with those that start on the board. Is this great? Probably not but man it would be hilarious to see. Also you have an infinite amount of plasma and lots good re-rolls.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    List building in 8th is a lot of fun because there really is no troop tax and stuff anymore.

There is an HQ tax, though. Which kind of sucks for armies that have weak HQ choices.

Burnage wrote: »

There is an HQ tax, though. Which kind of sucks for armies that have weak HQ choices.

Yeah, but it does make me mix and match my HQs a lot now.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Awesome, thank you for the run down.

I don't know why but when I looked at the battleforge part I got the feeling that it was meant for those huge army games.

Right now for Necrons I have 69 warriors, 15 immortals, 24 scarab swarms, 1 tomb spyder, 8 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 5 pariahs (don't even exist now), 6 flayed ones, a Nightbringer, 3 lords, 2 destroyer lords, and 2 monoliths.

Bought an overlord, 2 immortals boxes, a triarch, and two wraith boxes last night to go with the rest of the nonsense I have.

I kind of wanted to grab some flyers or barges but none of them really seemed worth it. I wanted more destroyers as well but they didn't have any at the LGS.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    What are your thoughts on sonic dread loadout?

I tried two last game, one with blastmaster/missiles and one with blastmaster/scourge. My plan was for the missile one to hang back on an objective and the scourge one to advance on an objective (I know this is not entirely optimal, but I was trying out a lot of crazy stuff during the game).

Missile one is cheaper, but only got off one shot before it was in close combat (deepstriking warptalons) and was shot to pieces as soon as it got out. The scourge one got off a shot before it ended up on close combat (daemon prince and some raptors), but there it performed admirably before ultimately being overwhelmed and killed.

I think the consensus over at dakka is scourge, but I seem to recall Dayspring championing missiles.

What do you guys think?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    What are your thoughts on sonic dread loadout?

I tried two last game, one with blastmaster/missiles and one with blastmaster/scourge. My plan was for the missile one to hang back on an objective and the scourge one to advance on an objective (I know this is not entirely optimal, but I was trying out a lot of crazy stuff during the game).

Missile one is cheaper, but only got off one shot before it was in close combat (deepstriking warptalons) and was shot to pieces as soon as it got out. The scourge one got off a shot before it ended up on close combat (daemon prince and some raptors), but there it performed admirably before ultimately being overwhelmed and killed.

I think the consensus over at dakka is scourge, but I seem to recall Dayspring championing missiles.

What do you guys think?

I have tried both I like the dakka version but a key to using that stuff is bubble wrap. For my charging dreads I am taking multi-melta+scourge or fist with Alpha Legion to get close.

So I am up to 40 cultist models now (39 really) which helps me a lot with stuff like deep strike. Taking about 120 points of cultist givesme a secure firing line in the back from deep strike and gives me a lot of freedom if I want to play with a lot of other random units.

Also I have been messing around with a plasma havoc infiltration squad. 135 points for 5 plasma guns that I can use my alpha legion infiltration stratagem on. So far it is just a really nice flexible unit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I just noticed that Fabius Bile can shoot mega steroids into any infantry unit now, not just generic marines. Cultists, poxwalkers, tzaangors, whatever. I kinda want to do a Typhus/Bile mad scientist dream team now. A bunch of 20-man poxwalker hordes with toughness or strength 5 sound pretty horrible.

FC: 1435-5383-0883

I don't know why but when I looked at the battleforge part I got the feeling that it was meant for those huge army games.

Right now for Necrons I have 69 warriors, 15 immortals, 24 scarab swarms, 1 tomb spyder, 8 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 5 pariahs (don't even exist now), 6 flayed ones, a Nightbringer, 3 lords, 2 destroyer lords, and 2 monoliths.

Bought an overlord, 2 immortals boxes, a triarch, and two wraith boxes last night to go with the rest of the nonsense I have.

I kind of wanted to grab some flyers or barges but none of them really seemed worth it. I wanted more destroyers as well but they didn't have any at the LGS.

I was looking at Necrons for a bit, trying to help a local player get his army a bit more competitive. It looks to me like 5 man Immortal squads, Triarchs, the bikes and scarabs are all solid units, iirc.

For reference, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I talk about really competitive stuff, this is the kind of stuff you see in top tier lists;

Malefic Lord
    HQ
    30 pts
    T4/W4/4++ save
    Psyker

Conscripts
    Troop
    20-30 (Used to be up to 50)
    3 pts per model
    Can be made effectively fearless with commissar.

Things that are just insanely efficient points wise for doing their job (In this case, giving you a smite, and being impossible to move while taking up huge sections of the board, respectively).

Malefic lords are probably getting nerfed. They know it is a problem.

The conscripts going to 30 and only getting two orders are a bit better. Still munching through them is a pain. I still think though they should of been made immune to Commissars. That would of fixed them pretty much instantly.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Malefic lords are probably getting nerfed. They know it is a problem.

The conscripts going to 30 and only getting two orders are a bit better. Still munching through them is a pain. I still think though they should of been made immune to Commissars. That would of fixed them pretty much instantly.

Was just using them as examples of what kind of stuff is being used. Basically the stuff that massively overperforms for its' cost.

Conscripts could have been fixed by making it so Commissars just letting you roll a d6 for every model you lose to morale, on a 2-5+ they aren't removed. Simulates the inspire or execute power of the commissar, cuts your morale losses by 33-84%, depending on what they feel is more appropriate.

edited October 2017

I was looking at Necrons for a bit, trying to help a local player get his army a bit more competitive. It looks to me like 5 man Immortal squads, Triarchs, the bikes and scarabs are all solid units, iirc.

For reference, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I talk about really competitive stuff, this is the kind of stuff you see in top tier lists;

Malefic Lord
    HQ
    30 pts
    T4/W4/4++ save
    Psyker

Conscripts
    Troop
    20-30 (Used to be up to 50)
    3 pts per model
    Can be made effectively fearless with commissar.

Things that are just insanely efficient points wise for doing their job (In this case, giving you a smite, and being impossible to move while taking up huge sections of the board, respectively).

I'm not too worried about being really competitive. For the most part I'll be playing with two friends and my brother only so we are all probably going to end up with weird lists.

I do think I'm gonna make the awful choice of spending more money I don't really have and going back today to grab two spyders. I'm tempted to grab the starting collection for the triarch and some more warriors and because it is $60 cheaper than on the GW site but it really isn't worth it.

Not $60, like $20 cheaper.

Stragint on

This discussion has been closed.