As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I don't see using an analog jack going away completely, but maybe it'll become more niche over time.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Got a new 8+. Very snappy, otherwise functionally identical to my 6+ so far. Oh well.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am annoyed I have been fighting with my internet all god damned day and it's finally stable at like midnight my time.

It's gotta be utilization dependent because it's always the worst on weekends and 9pm-midnight on weeknights.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i once had an internet issue that was time dependent in a similar fashion

and it turned out that someone was splicing my connection to steal cable, and then going back to unsplice it every night to avoid detection

Jasconius wrote: »

and it turned out that someone was splicing my connection to steal cable, and then going back to unsplice it every night to avoid detection

Wouldn't be the case here, we have free internet and TV in our complex.

I thought it was my roommate just overloading the connection or router with his shitty compromised PC, but it still happened after I turned off the wifi (which is how he connects). It improved temporarily but then today it just got worse.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

How did they get caught?

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So, query:

I have a magnetic mount for my phone in the car — there’s a big magnet that sticks to the air vents and a small metal plate that’s inside my case.

Will the plate interfere with wireless charging? I’d like to be able to leave the case on while I charge my phone at my desk and use headphones.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think I solved the majority of my 6's battery draining ridiculously fast. I turned notifications off some game. I'll be able to really tell tomorrow but right now my battery life seems much better. Hopefully that will last me the 20 days or so until I can get an X.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I am annoyed I have been fighting with my internet all god damned day and it's finally stable at like midnight my time.

It's gotta be utilization dependent because it's always the worst on weekends and 9pm-midnight on weeknights.

Jeff Gerstmann related a story that he had a period where his internet would go to shit at 9 at night every time.
    And it was speculated by the firm to be interference from people stealing electricity for an indoor grow op.
    Illegal wires that aren't shielded well, the moment the powerdraw comes on when the lights turn on, the whole neighbourhoods speed goes bad. That's what his ISP tech told him at least.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I am 4 hours into my Bluetooth headphone power experiment

A little bit of youtube use but mostly listening to podcasts (didn't play games on my phone).

Not sure on the power status of my earphones but phone currently at 69% (nice).

I'm actually surprised at my battery at this point.

However, the new pixel headphones only have a 5-hour battery? That's not very long before you need to recharge, unless recharging via the charging case takes a matter of minutes

Karl on
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, query:

I have a magnetic mount for my phone in the car — there’s a big magnet that sticks to the air vents and a small metal plate that’s inside my case.

Will the plate interfere with wireless charging? I’d like to be able to leave the case on while I charge my phone at my desk and use headphones.

It depends on where you put the metal plate in the case. I have an S7 Edge and put the plate about 1/4 of the way from the bottom and wireless charging still works. I definitely had to move it around a bit, but I didn't glue it down and it's been working will about a week now and hasn't moved yet. Works great in the car.

My new iPhone 8 hard froze yesterday. Not a great start

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My new iPhone 8 hard froze yesterday. Not a great start

Wow. Huh. That isn't good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

yeah, I had to haul my old, broken phone out and search "how to hard reset iphone 8" because nothing responded (including the power button). I could get Siri to respond, but it couldn't open any programs. Very strange error.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Should have just asked Siri.

I did ask Siri thank you Blake she didn't know the answer

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My phone has google assistant now apparently but I couldn't be less assed to bother turning it on yet.

I am definitely not interested in voice activated anything. Windows 10 tries to push it, Apple tries to push it, and now google's trying to push it.

I just find it easier to cut out the middleman and click the button myself.

I find Google assistant quite useful, especially when cooking and I need to set a countdown

Also yelling at google to work out how I get to a particular pub to meet the guys

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Got a new 8+. Very snappy, otherwise functionally identical to my 6+ so far. Oh well.

I can't remember if the 6+ had the 3d touch stuff, but that's basically the only thing I noticed going from a regular 6 to the 8+. Some of the shortcuts are pretty nifty.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    It's gotta be converted somewhere, and a DAC in the headphones is probably not going to be as good as an external DAC. Probably good enough though.

USB-C audio (and I think Lightning as well, not 100%) does support transmission of analog signals (source), but I think it is safe to say that internal phone DACs are going to get even worse than they already are if they are only used to drive the earpiece speaker.

I think we're going to get to a point where there's a pretty steep bifurcation in the mobile-targeted headphone market: you'll get cheap headphones that take whatever crap the phone DAC sends out and then you'll get expensive headphones that include a DAC that isn't total garbage.

cursedking wrote: »

I can't remember if the 6+ had the 3d touch stuff, but that's basically the only thing I noticed going from a regular 6 to the 8+. Some of the shortcuts are pretty nifty.

True story: trying out all the 3D touch stuff is what caused my phone to freak out. It seems really neat though!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm like three or four phone generations behind, but finally getting force touch is one of the things I am looking forward to.

Blake T wrote: »
    I'm like three or four phone generations behind, but finally getting force touch is one of the things I am looking forward to.

It is cool on my watch.

Didn't you have a pebble Tim? How come you switched?

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    my Nexus 5 screen shattered out of nowhere. huh. It's got a case on it and everything, but I pulled it out of my pocket and it's got a spiderweb fracture all over. screen is perfectly functional for now and it's shallow enough image quality is still as good as I need it to be for anything, but it's just kinda odd. must've just had a few years worth of micro-stresses on it (it was my dad's daily up until he got a pixel last month) that all catastrophically went at once from me doing something like putting my laptop on my legs.

not quite worth fixing yet, but it is a heck of a thing to just pull phone out of your pocket and see that

It is cool on my watch.

The watch would be pretty much useless without it, because there are so few input options.

Speaking of my watch, it did a yeoman's service this weekend (even with the weird French bug). It's really, really useful for long distance driving and I now use Apple Pay pretty much whenever it's an option

edited October 2017
    a5ehren wrote: »
    It's gotta be converted somewhere, and a DAC in the headphones is probably not going to be as good as an external DAC. Probably good enough though.

USB-C audio (and I think Lightning as well, not 100%) does support transmission of analog signals (source), but I think it is safe to say that internal phone DACs are going to get even worse than they already are if they are only used to drive the earpiece speaker.

I think we're going to get to a point where there's a pretty steep bifurcation in the mobile-targeted headphone market: you'll get cheap headphones that take whatever crap the phone DAC sends out and then you'll get expensive headphones that include a DAC that isn't total garbage.

This sounds terrible. I don't want to buy headphones with a damn built in dac. That's just another failure point on a pretty simple and reliable older technology.

They should just cut a corner on the new cameras constantly or higher dpi screens or slimmer profiles and just keep putting in a decent dac.

My galaxy s7 is quite good at driving my price range of headphones for example. (I just wish the headphones jack it self was a little more sturdy as it's gotten a little loose lately)

I'm leaning more and more towards trying to make this the last phone I ever purchase. I show really get some new back glass on it.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2017
    I've always kind of thought the "I can't charge and listen to music/talk on my headset" thing was... not overblown I guess, because I get it, but something that never happened to me. Then I arrived home after a long drive where my phone was using GPS for six hours straight and thought "time to phone my partner, I'll just plug this in, get my headset and and..."

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tube on
    What is with Samsungs recent obsession with getting rid of the bezel anyway?

Didn't you have a pebble Tim? How come you switched?

I stopped using my pebble because it didn't have the fitness features I was looking for to help get me to be more active. I just got an apple watch since I really wanted the email notifications back for work when I am out in my library away from my desk.

Do pebbles still work ok for just getting notifications and stuff?

I might look for a used one sometime.

Uriel wrote: »

Because a lot of people are happy with the size of the phones and don't want to carry anything bigger, people however are perfectly happy to get a bigger screen of the phone stays the same size.

I did some research and you can buy a USB C/headphone jack dongle (though not in the uk?) that lets you charge your pixel and listen to music at the same time. I imagine Apple have also got something to gouge your wallet as well

Because a lot of people are happy with the size of the phones and don't want to carry anything bigger, people however are perfectly happy to get a bigger screen of the phone stays the same size.

Ah thanks that makes sense.

I've never much noticed the size of my screen on any phone I've had. Unless it is uncomfortable to use with one thumb I don't much care and I have really big hands so that's rarely a problem.

But also I only ever watch YouTube on my phone if that so a giant screen doesn't seem necessary for me either.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Or get a middleman DAC between the phone and some nice analogue headphones. Given the draw of the smartphone was 'one device to do everything' though, that would be annoying.

I am curious what the feedba

Ah thanks that makes sense.

I've never much noticed the size of my screen on any phone I've had. Unless it is uncomfortable to use with one thumb I don't much care and I have really big hands so that's rarely a problem.

But also I only ever watch YouTube on my phone if that so a giant screen doesn't seem necessary for me either.

As someone who went from a iPhone 6 back to a 5s I have noticed a lot of mobile sites are no longer really developing for smaller screens as well.

I thought the iPhone X would be great to have as a media playing second screen and then realised I could buy the iPhone 8 and an iPad for the same cost.

This discussion has been closed.