As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    @Cerberus @tzeentchling I don't know if y'all have been paying attention to the NRDB hacking stuff but somebody pulled a list of everyone targeted off the dark web and you're both on it

so, assume everyone at worlds has seen all your decks on NRDB as of a few days ago, at least

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Is that what those panicked posts were about?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    yeah, probably

I haven't been paying super close attention to the whole thing but apparently one of the hackers involved is a local

which I'm not happy about

the whole thing is gross

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I'm aware, cheers.

I'm not too worried, still early days of testing. I've been testing Ag (Hydra) but I published a version so not sure how that's a surprise!

Shocked the guys have gone this far, shame really.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm actually good friends with everyone who did that. Not really like them. Also more miffed they didn't tell me they were watching my decks! Not that they would have gotten anything from them....

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm actually good friends with everyone who did that. Not really like them. Also more miffed they didn't tell me they were watching my decks! Not that they would have gotten anything from them....

this makes it so much weirder

• Options
    Right? Like, a bunch are in SF and I rarely see them, but one person in the group privy to the information is in my playgroup here in SD. Never said a word to me or anyone else here that this was going on - admittedly, only for like 2 weeks, but still. And he was part of the reason I was on the list, because he knew I was going and he respected my skill.

It's honestly just a bit bizarre that no one stopped to think hey, maybe we shouldn't be getting this information from people who don't know they're being mined? Especially in this group, since they're mostly good people who just enjoy playing Netrunner.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    This feels like a really weird conversation to be having in regards to Netrunner.

Regardless of that, the whole thing sounds super awful. I can't imagine running into someone after hearing about how they bought/hacked hidden information about your shit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah it's sort of on one hand very meta and appropriate for Netrunner

and on the other hand like super gross and not at all what I want to see happening in this community. Seems especially awful for you, tzeentchling, since you know some of them personally.

Guess ya'll had just better turn off the deck sharing option on NRDB for the time being :|

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    There still aren't any kind of significant cash prizes in Netrunner right? That just makes it way stranger to me.

Like, I could maybe understand someone terrible doing this to help themselves win one of the big Magic tournaments. And I'm sure there's been all sorts of shenanigans with Poker (not decklists obviously)

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ...how has it taken this long for me to notice that the guy on Inside Job is sitting on a toilet?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    ...how has it taken this long for me to notice that the guy on Inside Job is sitting on a toilet?

haha it took me forever too, I think it was when they printed the sleeves

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    There's a hint in the flavor text.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    It seems to be a truth universally acknowledged at the moment that runners are poor. Are people finding that to be the case?

I've been seeing a lot of MOpus runners, who don't struggle for money (but are quite slow), and I've personally been playing a bit of Peace In Our Time + Tapwrm + SacCon Smoke, and have usually been very, very rich.

Is that in line with what other people have been seeing?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/9/corps-and-runners/

Article up talking about Netrunner in general, but has a couple of the new arts coming in the revised core. (Ash and Hudson.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    It seems to be a truth universally acknowledged at the moment that runners are poor. Are people finding that to be the case?

I've been seeing a lot of MOpus runners, who don't struggle for money (but are quite slow), and I've personally been playing a bit of Peace In Our Time + Tapwrm + SacCon Smoke, and have usually been very, very rich.

Is that in line with what other people have been seeing?

Sort of. I've tried durdly shaper (either Magnum or Smoke), a disruptive anarch with Maw and Magnum/conspiracy breakers and Criminal packed with bypass events to try to beat rush decks. The problem isn't that they're bad so much as they all feel pretty one-dimensional. The crim beats all-in rush decks but loses to anything else; the shapers beat any corp trying to play a long game but lose to rush (unless the rush corp doesn't draw agendas early enough). Anarch felt like a bad version of shaper. Indexing or Deep Data Mining seem like the way you win runner games now, which really makes shaper very appealing. Now that GFI is restricted, it feels a bit like the bad old days where a lucky turn 1 Indexing/DDM can put you on match point.

Tapwrm is totally nuts, as you say. I've seen corps spend 3+ consecutive turns purging it through SacCon/Clone Chip, and I think that's usually the right decision? Probably the best runner econ card right now, and again, it works best in shaper.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular

Article up talking about Netrunner in general, but has a couple of the new arts coming in the revised core. (Ash and Hudson.)

Had we seen that new Crypsis art before?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

Had we seen that new Crypsis art before?

Barely if you squinted.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Huh, interesting. Not sure if it’s a typo or copy-paste error or not, but apparently in the elimination rounds at Worlds you’ll share your deck-list with your opponent.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ed/cf/edcfe5e1-746b-4118-822a-ca98539b89d4/2017b_adn_schedule.pdf

I could... see the case to be made for it? To lessen the impact any sort of scouting could have.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Huh, interesting. Not sure if it’s a typo or copy-paste error or not, but apparently in the elimination rounds at Worlds you’ll share your deck-list with your opponent.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ed/cf/edcfe5e1-746b-4118-822a-ca98539b89d4/2017b_adn_schedule.pdf

I could... see the case to be made for it? To lessen the impact any sort of scouting could have.

I have heard some say that was a typo or an error. Dunno. I get that secrecy/surprise is a big part of Netrunner, and knowing the card pool is a big part of the game. But this would help keep people honest....

Dunno. We'll see how it shakes down.

• Options
    Kester wrote: »

Tapwrm is totally nuts, as you say. I've seen corps spend 3+ consecutive turns purging it through SacCon/Clone Chip, and I think that's usually the right decision?

I think if you don't commit to getting it off the board, you have to resign yourself to the runner having enough money for their needs for the rest of the game - unless your corp deck runs very close to the ground with its own economy. The Titan FA list I'm on is mostly ok with rich runners and scores from very few credits, so I'm not going to take turns off to purge (unless I also need to remove the Clot threat, which is a whole other thing).

If you want to score out of a remote a couple of times or win any traces, though, I think you're absolutely right and the Tapwrm needs to die.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I have heard some say that was a typo or an error. Dunno. I get that secrecy/surprise is a big part of Netrunner, and knowing the card pool is a big part of the game. But this would help keep people honest....

Dunno. We'll see how it shakes down.

it's to level the playing field after the cut

it also makes scouting unnecessary, which is good

• Options
    I both hate and love the idea

I like that it levels the playing fiend in terms of scouting

but I seriously hate the idea of having your little bit of interesting splashes made 100% known

then again I'm never going to worlds, most likely, so it doesn't matter to me so whatever

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I always kind of felt like having to make rules against scouting was painful for the tournament environment, the natural thing you want to do after you get crushed is go politely spectate you friend's game.

Then again having surprises in your deck is pretty core to the design of Netrunner.

• Options
    It's not like revealing your deck list means you're playing with every card in your deck face up.

I think there's already enough factors in competitive games that award forming teams that removing the element of scouting, which there is no way to police without turning the game into a locked down nightmare, from the highest levels of the game is worthwhile.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is it maybe a way to counter people using alternative methods to scout other players decks? Or de-incentivize using alternative methods?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I just accidentally hard countered all barrier Skorp with Lady and Brahman. So that was a thing.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is it maybe a way to counter people using alternative methods to scout other players decks? Or de-incentivize using alternative methods?

I don't think the timing works out for this to be a reaction to the NRDB shit, especially since they put it in for their other LCGs as well.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    it's something tournament organizers have been pushing OP to do for ages

it counteracts a lot of shady behavior that tends to happen during the evening between swiss and the cut

Shorty on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What's a good price for a very up to date collection? I want to sell mine but I have no takers. I tried $400 and $300. Its all sleeved with KMCs, three cores, every expansion, and all cycles except for the first one.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Seeing a lot going in the $200-300 range lately. Good luck selling!

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    It's not like revealing your deck list means you're playing with every card in your deck face up.

it kind does if you're not playing any sort of traps or teethy ice at all

like I understand why it might seem like a good idea for OP at that level but it feels like something extremely out of place for a game that is kinda built on deception and bluffing

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ironically, I've long felt that the bluffing aspect of the game was largely forgotten too early in the game's life, and we got very few interesting cards for it in the overall cardpool (and they were pretty much all Jinteki traps of some sort). The game would have benefited from more usable cards that were advancable (more things like Contract Killer or Ronin). But since it didn't scouting isn't necessarily AS big a deal as it could be. Definitely still sucks if a person has made a good meta call or has figured out #SickTech, or when your deck works largely because of similarities to another popular archetype.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Inazuma into Ichi 1 a pretty big surprise at a major tournament

sig.gif
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular

Whistles...

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »

Whistles...

Man, I do remember always loving Inazuna, but I'm pretty sure one of my Netrunner friends was never a fan.

• Options
    Ironically, I've long felt that the bluffing aspect of the game was largely forgotten too early in the game's life, and we got very few interesting cards for it in the overall cardpool (and they were pretty much all Jinteki traps of some sort). The game would have benefited from more usable cards that were advancable (more things like Contract Killer or Ronin). But since it didn't scouting isn't necessarily AS big a deal as it could be. Definitely still sucks if a person has made a good meta call or has figured out #SickTech, or when your deck works largely because of similarities to another popular archetype.

There's a reason GRNDL Refinery is my favorite card. It looks so close to a Cerebral Overwriter or a Project Junebug...

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »

Whistles...

So this new rule would have really hurt you that day right?

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I am torn on the reveal of secret tech. In some ways it adds a second layer of bluffing. Now that you know a Corp is running a trap, they can bluff agendas as traps.

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg