As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman vs Orcs 2: Shadow of Wardor

PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
Remember this game?
YqZsMpY.jpg

Well, it's getting a sequel tomorrow:

jAKT5Cy.jpg

Follow the continuing bromance of Talion x Celebrimbor as they commit genocide against the inhabitants of Mordor.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    There's no way I'm going to get around to playing this this year.

probably just wait until it's on a "90% off with all DLC" sale in late 2018.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first game but 2017 is a different time for me to be playing a game where the goal is to terrorize and enslave a different race of beings so they will fight each other to death and I'm good on that for now

Maybe next year

CYpGAPn.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Finally, a game that's brave enough to ask the question, "What if Shelob were a sexy lady?"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b-O0Aw6WXko

Peccavi on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i was going to skip this because of all the reasons above + lootboxes but a friend gifted me the gold edition on steam for my birthday so it looks like i am playing this tomorrow

but i've been playing the first game again and fuck if i don;t got an asshole orc that comes back from EVERYTHING, runs at the earliest opportunity and is so powerful now his only weakness is "Afraid of burning". He's immune to everything else. I don;t know how I can get rid of him.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Supposedly you can import your nemesis from the first game to this game, but my Nemesis always ends up with a bag covering his head so id rather not.

You also get to import your best follower though, and I wouldn't mind importing Naz, Ghul Hunter.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Less than a minute into the quick look, Brad says it's good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjfmYcRo0o

edited October 2017
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Supposedly you can import your nemesis from the first game to this game, but my Nemesis always ends up with a bag covering his head so id rather not.

You also get to import your best follower though, and I wouldn't mind importing Naz, Ghul Hunter.

I still hope to find Dush and make him my best follower

edit: as for the video; it pretty much tell me what I knew. gameplay will still be a blast, marketing and set-up and story is dumb as all hell.

Magic Pink on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The first game was alright. I never understood why the nemesis system was so lauded, but the game was fun enough. I was disappointed that the orcs never seemed to really develop much fear of the unstoppable, unkillable engine of death that was Talion. Guy slaughters orcs by the hundreds and keeps coming back even when killed. That's fucking terrifying. You'd think the orcs would just shit themselves and run after a while.

Anyway, I get the impression that this sequel is about the same. Competent and fun but not a must-buy. Certainly not until there's a GOTY edition, anyway.

RT800 on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    The first game was alright. I never understood why the nemesis system was so lauded, but the game was fun enough. I was disappointed that the orcs never seemed to really develop much fear of the unstoppable, unkillable engine of death that was Talion. Guy slaughters orcs by the hundreds and keeps coming back even when killed. That's fucking terrifying. You'd think the orcs would just shit themselves and run after a while.

Anyway, I get the impression that this sequel is about the same. Competent and fun but not a must-buy. Certainly not until there's a GOTY edition, anyway.

I really liked the nemesis system because I had been playing Assassins Creed games for years, and it just felt like any time I stabbed a guy, it didn't matter.

Then SoM comes along, I find a bad guy early in the game that is weak to ranged attacks... so I get in position and I shoot an arrow at him. One headshot and he's down.

And then a few hours later I'm fighting a different boss and in the middle of the fight he comes back and he's got a bandage on his head and he's yelling at me that I didn't finish the job and OH MAN this matters now?! I thought "defeated" and "dead" were the same thing and they're NOT! And now I'm fighting 2 boss groups and it's so cool!

After figuring out some of the mechanics (like "decapitating makes them perma-dead") it lost some of the shine, but the first time it happened it was a great gaming experience.

RT800 wrote: »

My impression was the orcs were too dumb and violent to care otherwise, plus their information network was notes tied to spiders at best. And, eventually, they DO shit themselves and run, you even get an ability that causes more shit running!

But really take ANY open world game with combat and you have a hero/heroine that kills things by the hundreds with inappropriate reactions from the populace, this is really no different.

omg the double jump

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I do wanna play this but it's just not as high priority as it might have been under other circumstances

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I had trouble understanding why everyone loved the Nemesis system in the first game, because I just decapped everyone.

And then that stopped being so easy, and it became amazing

Perrsun wrote: »

After figuring out some of the mechanics (like "decapitating makes them perma-dead")

not actually true as it turns out

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm about 40 minutes into the quick look and I guess this game is a lot bigger than the first one.

Peewi wrote: »
    I'm about 40 minutes into the quick look and I guess this game is a lot bigger than the first one.

plus motherfucking pokeorc battles

i was totally kidding when i joked about those weeks ago and here we are

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Could you reliably trigger a decapitation? It always seemed to me like the finisher animations happened as they would and I didn't have much control over it

edited October 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Could you reliably trigger a decapitation? It always seemed to me like the finisher animations happened as they would and I didn't have much control over it

they pretty much only happened during finishers or, more likely, after interrogating an orc then choosing to kill it. but as far as i found there was never a 100% guaranteed move that did it.

Magic Pink on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This release date totally snuck up on me

I reserved and paid this off months ago though, and I get off work early all week, so fuck yessss

Gonna murder some orcs and hang with sexy spider ladies

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I have some days off in two weeks so I think I'll dive into this then.

I got waaaaay into creating my perfect orc army last time around. Except sometimes they'd run away before I could turn them and the only way I found to lure them back was for them to jump in on a Captain fight.

Which was impossible to do end game when I converted everybody already. So I had this one empty slot. Very frustrating, I hope they address this.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Having never played the first, I was actually thinking of getting the second one, but Giantbomb's QL turned me off the game.

There's so much time spent in menus! And I'm sure that appeals to a certain crowd, but not for me.

Half the time Brad is playing he's just able to run past any orcs or fights and when he does fight it looks just way too crowded.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Loot boxes were a warning sign to me

Sexy Shelob makes it a flat out no

Is it really that hard not to objectify women

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Loot boxes rule, and I'm guessing WB just loves them at this point

They made Injustice 2 much more engaging

And from the GameSpot review, it sounds like he was swimming in the currency to buy them by endgame without ever spending any real money

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    IGN is saying you earn enough in game silver to buy pretty much everything just by playing the game normally so I guess I'm not terribly worried about loot boxes.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Loot boxes rule, and I'm guessing WB just loves them at this point

They made Injustice 2 much more engaging

And from the GameSpot review, it sounds like he was swimming in the currency to buy them by endgame without ever spending any real money
    Deadfall wrote: »
    IGN is saying you earn enough in game silver to buy pretty much everything just by playing the game normally so I guess I'm not terribly worried about loot boxes.

The reviews I read said the opposite, they had run through all the currency they had earned all game in just about an hour and then had to grind.

Also lootboxes that you can buy with real money are complete shit.

So don't buy them

Ok let's not

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    some people like loot boxes others don't others don't care

there look at all the time I saved you

I do have to say Talion looks ridiculously bad this time, I gotta agree with the GB guys on that. His face is just doofy. And the areas do look a lot smaller.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Kumail Nanjiani is in this playing, uh, Kumail Nanjiani I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvKrTplOVs

PSN- AHermano
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I do have to say Talion looks ridiculously bad this time, I gotta agree with the GB guys on that. His face is just doofy. And the areas do look a lot smaller.

It looks like they maybe tried to merge the Ranger face and the Elf face and wound up with...that.

It looks like they maybe tried to merge the Ranger face and the Elf face and wound up with...that.

and to fix it they decided to superimpose elf-guy's face over his half the time?

sounds distressingly believable, actually

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I don't remember Talion looking that bad in the E3 footage (which had the same scene of Talion and Bruz storming the castle)

I wonder if the PS4 version is hosed?

Undead Scottsman on
    I don't remember Talion looking that bad in the E3 footage (which had the same scene of Talion and Bruz storming the castle)

maybe it's just bad on the ps4?

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dang I forgot this was coming out so soon, i have no time or money for this right now

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Dang I forgot this was coming out so soon, i have no time or money for this right now

no worries, it'll only get cheaper. and patched!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

no worries, it'll only get cheaper. and patched!
    Yeah basically by the time I make it through the other games I've been meaning to play this game will hopefully be cheaper and gotten any bugs taken care of

2x39jD4.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Also isn't Target's B2G1 sale usually around this time? I may pick it up then.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Also isn't Target's B2G1 sale usually around this time? I may pick it up then.

i swear those were in november

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    man this shit is just so fun so far. And I love the silly cheesy story

From what Ive heard the post game "grind" has been overstated, for what basically amounts to a separate post-game infinite play mode thats there if you want more challenge and to keep playing, with the reward of a bonus cutscene being less the goal than simply just playing more of the gameplay. Its not some true ending you have to grind towards or the game feels incomplete.

Also reports are that you basically dont need lootboxes, they provide you with lower level orcs and the randomisation means youre better off hunting down and finding orcs with abilities you like in game, and you are swimming in gear and orcs anyway just through normal gameplay by the end apparently. Still, as a practice lootboxes are predatory and disgusting, but it doesnt sound like it affects the gameplay which is what i was worried about

Really good summary here: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/10/what-you-need-to-know-about-shadow-of-wars-controversial-loot-boxes/

You can throw enemies to their death and it goes into a little like "fall to death" cam. Also lava. And while the environments are all basically the same in terms of creatures and things to do, (and it may be my penchant for all things orc and orcish talking here) but I love how alive the worlds feel, with orcs working slaves, and building stuff, training, eating, fighting, etc.

Graphics are subpar but the art and design is fantastic, especially on the orcs. Im getting a scorpio so im hoping theres a bit of a boost there

Prohass on