As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]Forgotten Hope 2 thread

2»

• Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Alright I'm not meaning to derail this thread, but I know there's a game coming out for either the 360 or the PS3. It's a WW2 FPS, but it's a "what if" scenario, in that America didn't help fight the German in Europe, which leads to Hitler attacking the States in the 50's. Does anyone know the name of this game.

Halo?

I think it is called Halo.

You're thinking of "Turning Point: Fall of Liberty"

Anyways how much is BF2 these days, I miss BF1942 vehemently and would like to get in on this

Thank you, you beautiful man

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey Bombardier, aside from you and McGibs is there anyone else on the FH team from PA? I seem to remember you two being the only ones.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Haha oh shit guys, I forgot.

The skin texture for the hands in the game?

They're my hands.

Have fun killing people with my hands.

That's pretty cool. You guys, the FH devs, rock.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Hey Bombardier, aside from you and McGibs is there anyone else on the FH team from PA? I seem to remember you two being the only ones.
    Don't think so. I didn't do much aside from beta testing a bit, making some suggestions, and supplying my hands.

bombardier on
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Butters wrote: »

They're my hands.

even though they're slow

AHH! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    AHH! wrote: »

They're my hands.

even though they're slow

They are but remember how unpolished DC was? I never felt that way about FH. The DC team moved quicker but the product was pretty slapped together with very little attention paid to balance and not nearly as many original maps.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Didn't DC just have one map?

I only remember desert

AHH! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    AHH! wrote: »
    Didn't DC just have one map?

I only remember desert

At the end they had a good handful of original maps but not nearly as much as FH. But they were of course all in the Desert. Still the most popular that I remember was El Alamein.

Butters on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You are a fuckhead, teefs.
    <3 I used to make suicide car bombs with the jeeps.

El Alamein was popular in DC because it had a SCUD and a Specter gunship. It was a well designed map too.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Maybe you hid it. Check in the drawer with your anal beads.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's why you gotta use that tongue to clean em up real good.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I throw them away after I use them and buy another set

AHH! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well! Some of us aren't made of money and use a dishwasher, Mr. Trump.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FH21.jpg

night time map..

mmmm baby.

AHH! on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    looks kinda dark

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    throw some muzzle flashes in there and it'll look fine

AHH! on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so is this out yet or what?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Anyone get to try it yet? I hope to before the night is over.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    downloading it and patch 1.41 now

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    installing now

I'll try it tomorrow

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Same here.

Butters on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there a way to configure the hat switch on your joystick to do the free-looking?

If it's like '42, yeah, but you lose control when you look around.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys, I just got BF2 for ten bucks so I'm ressurecting this thread.

Anyone still playing?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think it bombed pretty hard, at least it did here. That's what happens when you release the first version of your mod 10 years after the game is released.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I play it almost nightly. Its an absolutely fantastic mod. Takes a bit to get used to it, but the first time you use smoke rounds to flank an enemy tank column makes it all worth it.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I play it almost nightly. Its an absolutely fantastic mod. Takes a bit to get used to it, but the first time you use smoke rounds to flank an enemy tank column makes it all worth it.

Does it have a decent playerbase? I'mma install and download this today, I think.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Apparently the player base is very strong. Maybe I'll jump in on this a bit more tonight.

Butters on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Every time I try and play it BF2 randomly crashes to desktop right when I'm having a fucking blast. I see how it is.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah the BF2 engine is pretty shite. At least in terms of stability when it comes to mods. If you can put up with the occasional crash its definitely worth the effort. Sure, it can be frustrating, but this is a first release so give it a chance before nay-saying. By the time the original Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 1942 reached its final release (0.7) it was rock solid, with crashes only resulting from 1942's infamous unpatched issues.

Some things to take care of before you launch FH2 to cut down on hiccups and crashes:

1) Make sure your Punkbuster is updated to the latest version. Sometimes the best way to do it is manually because Lord knows how haphazard auto-anything is when it comes to EA releases. Sometimes random disconnects are actually due to uncredited Punkbuster kicks.

2) Run the game on settings where it actually performs well. Let's not overload your system every time a tank pops a few smoke rounds in your direction. If you played BF2 absolutely maxxed you may have to tone down your graphics for FH2. The game has a much longer draw distance, the maps are absolutely massive on the 64 player size, there's a lot of smoke effects and many things like shrubs and bushes are designed not to disappear at a certain distance so cover isn't compromised.

3) Close all additional bullshit on your system before you run the game. You'll need RAM. You always need RAM. The cleaner your crash the faster you can get back into the game so clear your desktop of unneeded icons and all multi-megabyte background images.

Lastly watch the training videos:

Introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o5Y5kybSQI

Weapons and Infantry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cor8jTBAdLw

Vehicles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsA7ELESF8

Command and Tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGSpVhI9sM

Also its good to spend a little time on your own server (or singleplayer) to familiarize yourself with the tank sights, weapon features and ballistics so you don't behave like a complete fucking idiot when you join a public server.

Follow these simple steps and you'll be well on your way to

rocking

your

fucking

socks off

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    By the way guys my ingame name is VolyuPA and I tend to stick to the WOLF.net or World At War (WaW) servers. I flit around, though. Hope to see some of you bastards in my iron sights in the near future.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    you know what, volyu?

you're alright.

you're an alright fella.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, Rank. :^:

Also in my previous post about performance enhancement I forgot to mention the ability to increase your system's priority to the game engine itself via your control panel (ctrl-alt-del). Easy to follow steps:
    1) Simply alt-tab out of the game (at the menu screen - lets not make your computer shit a brick by alt-tabbing during a live game)
    2) bring up your control panel (ctrl-alt-del) and click the processes tab
    3) find the process BF2.exe, right click on it, and set the system priority to "Above Normal"

You can technically set it higher but I find that can interfere with such basics as mouse control. "Above Normal" is the perfect stage to let your computer know that you want a little extra "oomf" in the processing department which should help smooth your gameplay out if you're experiencing some hiccups and hangups.

*Note: If you crash out with your process prioritized you will need to re-apply the above steps every time you launch the game, as technically it is a "new" process every time it closes/crashes.

In the game department I just finished some intense fighting over the span of 3 maps on the World at War server. I played predominantly in tanks and managed to make the top 10 of my team each time by employing flanking maneuvers to take out tanks and using those lovely HE rounds on the Sherman to clear trenches full of hooligan krauts. It warms my heart to see those bloody Jerries lifted fifty feet high on a column of roiling sand. I'd take screenshots but my system can only play it smoothly on the medium settings without shadows as I need the performance to stay competitive.

Oh, and one last thing of great importance: When you set up your video settings upon launching Forgotten Hope 2 be absolutely sure to max your view/draw distance. Adjust the rest of your settings according to how it performs with the draw MAXED. As most tank engagements occur at long distance through magnified tank sights, and infantry combat relies on a sharp eye and steady hand with those bolt action rifles, if you don't max your draw you will find yourself getting shot at by things you can't even see. Trust me. It sucks. I spent the first night after launch getting annihilated round after round because my draw was set to 80%.

Volucrisus Aedrius on