As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Super Bowl, PHI vs NE, Now On NBC.

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
2017-09-21-OverdoneJokes.png
Another bad one: Photoshopping a QB with a high turnover rate on physical baking "turnovers" because lol get it

Apparently, some people picked NYG as a championship contender. How about that?

Santa Claustrophobia on

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i like this mutant league conversation

steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So, apparently the reason Bradford had a thousand-yard stare last night was that he 'aggravated' his knee. He was limping, but I don't think that's the whole story.

Did he take any shots to the head? I know there were two sacks we're he basically just fell over after minor contact.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I didn't watch the game but Bradford has gotten injured so many times over his career that maybe he's starting to get super gunshy

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I didn't watch the game but Bradford has gotten injured so many times over his career that maybe he's starting to get super gunshy

Or that he's played so little football over his pro career that he just can't deal with that level of speed and skill.
    Did he take any shots to the head? I know there were two sacks we're he basically just fell over after minor contact.

Before the end of the second half he took a sack that slammed the back of his head on the ground. He got up slowly and I joked in the last thread about the Vikings starting the concussion protocol to sit Bradford with dignity.

Veevee on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I remember that one, now. Whatever happened with Bridgewater? Did Minnesota move on?

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I remember that one, now. Whatever happened with Bridgewater? Did Minnesota move on?

Still on IR, I think he can return this week or next. They declined to pick up his option over the summer. He had a complete ACL tear, did some other structural damage and dislocated his knee. Even when it happened lots of people were saying is was going to be a calendar year+ type of injury. Not a ready for next season kind of thing.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular

The AP experiment in N'awlins is over.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Dear Cardinals Management,

The solution is not more depth at the skill positions! Fix the O-Line!

Sincerely,
    A fan that will quickly tire of your shit when Larry Fitzgerald retires.

edited October 2017
    LostNinja wrote: »

Sincerely,

If getting OL upgrades were so easy then the Seahawks, Cardinals, Giants, Texans, Bengals, etc would have already done it

The NFL right now has a real shortage at the OL positions. I'm not sure whether it's just random variance or lack of coaching talent or what, but guys were getting paid like crazy this past off-season due to the competition and there just isn't enough to go around.

Sir Landshark on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Sincerely,

If getting OL upgrades were so easy then the Seahawks, Cardinals, Giants, etc would have already done it

The NFL right now has a real shortage at the OL positions. I'm not sure whether it's just random variance or lack of coaching talent or what, but guys were getting paid like crazy this past off-season due to the competition and there just isn't enough to go around.

I've read it's because the NCAA style offenses are not adequately preparing linemen for the pros

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    And then the new CBA doesn't allow enough time to properly coach them up at this level

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    edited October 2017
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Sincerely,

If getting OL upgrades were so easy then the Seahawks, Cardinals, Giants, etc would have already done it

I've read it's because the NCAA style offenses are not adequately preparing linemen for the pros

I could see that. OL and QB are probably the most complex positions in the game at the pro level.

Sir Landshark on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, most of the stuff I've read/heard from retired linemen is pretty much in line with y2jake215's posts. The college game doesn't prepare them for the pro game and they basically have to learn on the job because of a lack of preseason workouts.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Sincerely,

If the NFL wants players to be more adequately prepared for the type of football they play, maybe they should invest in programs that teach the required skills instead of relying on other institutions to exploit train future employees.

edited October 2017
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Sincerely,

If the NFL wants players to be more adequately prepared for the type of football they play, maybe they should invest in programs that teach the required skills instead of relying on other institutions to exploit train future employees.

Good luck getting the NCAA to let go of their cash cow though

Sir Landshark on
    edited October 2017

Sincerely,

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

Goes into this a bit.

Outside of the big10 and a handful of other schools, the college game isn't preparing lineman for the way the game is played at the pro level. Which also makes evaluating them at draft time harder.

Also, moving more and more heavily towards the pass has greatly reduced the role of your immovable wall of a nose tackle as a run stuffer. So now instead of all the pressure being from your edge rushers, and the middle of the line just sort of holding down the fort. You have the Mack/Donald/Watt type tackles who are just way more disruptive than a Tony Saragossa type ever was if the block on them isn't 100% perfect.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    CNBC is saying the owners are going to add forced standing for the anthem to talks this/next week. May use a long unused statement in the rulebook that says players "should" stand for anthem. Should being used explicitly.

Jubal77 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    CNBC is saying the owners are going to add forced standing for the anthem to talks this/next week. May use a long unused statement in the rulebook that says players "should" stand for anthem. Should being used explicitly.

It's already been done, they changed a rule to say that there will be penalties and fines and lost draft picks even? Which is just holy shit. I bet SI feels super glad they included the Rog on their "united" cover.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    A link to a great article regarding the shortage of O-Line dudes.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/13/16299646/bad-offenses-trend

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Sincerely,

Then isn't it in the best interest of the NFL to make sure that the NCAA properly prepares their charges?

I'm not being facetious, I know that there are differences between college style and NFL style, and that's lead to this problem. But I don't know WHY.

Just seems like both sides need each other, but if the NCAA and their differentiation are giving the NFL comparatively weaker talent, then the NFL need to make it clear, or look elsewhere. Feeder leagues that train up promising high school graduates? I dunno. I just find the idea of the NFL being held hostage by the NCAA to be pretty strange.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Sincerely,

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

Goes into this a bit.

Outside of the big10 and a handful of other schools, the college game isn't preparing lineman for the way the game is played at the pro level. Which also makes evaluating them at draft time harder.

Also, moving more and more heavily towards the pass has greatly reduced the role of your immovable wall of a nose tackle as a run stuffer. So now instead of all the pressure being from your edge rushers, and the middle of the line just sort of holding down the fort. You have the Mack/Donald/Watt type tackles who are just way more disruptive than a Tony Saragossa type ever was if the block on them isn't 100% perfect.

God some of those run blocks (or should I say run block attempts) by Robinson are so sad. I'm a skinny little guy, and even I'm looking at them like, that shit's like my mother trying to run-block me.

MorganV wrote: »

Sincerely,

Then isn't it in the best interest of the NFL to make sure that the NCAA properly prepares their charges?

I'm not being facetious, I know that there are differences between college style and NFL style, and that's lead to this problem. But I don't know WHY.

Just seems like both sides need each other, but if the NCAA and their differentiation are giving the NFL comparatively weaker talent, then the NFL need to make it clear, or look elsewhere. Feeder leagues that train up promising high school graduates? I dunno. I just find the idea of the NFL being held hostage by the NCAA to be pretty strange.

I'm not sure how much clout the NFL has with the NCAA though? Literally the only thing the NFL can threaten is reducing the mandatory 3 years of college, but that would hurt their goals of developing players pre-NFL even more.

The NFL starting up their own feeder league would require a good amount of initial investment I imagine, and could be a very uphill battle as a lot of areas are SUUUUPER invested in their college team, along with the whole alumni thing and all that.

I don't know that the NFL is really held hostage by the NCAA, but they definitely seem more dependent on the NCAA than the other way around. I don't follow college sports or the inner workings of the NCAA too closely though so maybe I'm wrong about that.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Sincerely,

And the fact that the Packers are going through OL like candy due to constant injuries.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Sincerely,

The Ncaa doesn't need the nfl. Cfb is a big money business and the number of D1 teams alone dwarfs the nfl.

Until all college teams start running a pro-stlye offense, which won't happen due to easier to learn and implement systems being necessary for a lot of teams, we will have these issues.

It's up to the teams to draft better, get better scouting and evaluation, and get better at teaching.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Goodell put out a bullshit statement.

We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

I’m very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week’s League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let’s resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way.

Spoilered for the bullest of bullshit. Also I highlighted the real fucking dumb part. "We can't have a conversation because of the conversation is getting in the way."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Sincerely,

And the fact that the Packers are going through OL like candy due to constant injuries.

We've had a lot of OL success over the past years though. I'm not sure if it's drafting success or coaching success or luck or some of all 3.

Preacher wrote: »

We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

I’m very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week’s League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let’s resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way.

Spoilered for the bullest of bullshit. Also I highlighted the real fucking dumb part. "We can't have a conversation because of the conversation is getting in the way."

I like the part where he says the spoke to players...and intends to ignore them. Because it's important to show patriotic deference.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Sincerely,

If getting OL upgrades were so easy then the Seahawks, Cardinals, Giants, Texans, Bengals, etc would have already done it

Hell look at the packers we invested in it pretty heavily and we still don't have enough spares and are fitting random dudes in there and playing people in random positions to try to make it work. They are big dudes who tend to get hurt with other big dudes rolling around over their feet/knees in a pile.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If only there were other sports that taught their players the pro level game and avoided a lot of career ending injuries that way. If only one of them was a violent sport....

I feel like there are ways to use the CFL, Arena League, or some other system that feed players into the Major League level that don't require building from whole cloth. But rather than investigate those options, it's cheaper and easier to just have more expendable players.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I like the part where he says the spoke to players...and intends to ignore them. Because it's important to show patriotic deference.
    I thought you said "Patriot Defense". And after reading it, I thought the statement wasn't THAT bad, by comparison. :biggrin:

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    OL in college suck too for the most part. /Michigan fan

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    OL in college suck too for the most part. /Michigan fan

Right, but the spread/read-option offense means you can have a high-powered offense with no o-line, because defenses are so much less coordinated and disciplined than pros. Meanwhile, OL are being taught to only do the bare-minimum because that's all the offense needs.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If only there were other sports that taught their players the pro level game and avoided a lot of career ending injuries that way. If only one of them was a violent sport....

I feel like there are ways to use the CFL, Arena League, or some other system that feed players into the Major League level that don't require building from whole cloth. But rather than investigate those options, it's cheaper and easier to just have more expendable players.

There really isn't a way to do that though. NFL OLinemen have to be the type of players they are because they have to contend with NFL level defenses. At the lower levels of football, such as college of AFL, a players individual skills can make the need to implement NFL-like schemes as unnecessary, and even detrimental to the teams ability to win.

What your asking is for the teams at a lower level to use NFL-like schemes that will result is losses because the players aren't fast/strong/smart enough to use the schemes.

Watch Wisconsin/Purdue this weekend to see this in action. Purdue should not have a chance at winning, but because Wisconsin runs a 100% pro style offense and defense they will make mistakes that they probably would not make with a simpler scheme which will keep Purdue in it, and because Purdue runs a spread/option offense they can take advantage of individual skill differences that are not there in the NFL. Wisconsin is constantly near the top and producing NFL-ready Olinemen for a long time because of this, but I'm positive it has also hurt them and kept them from getting to and winning championships at times.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That contrast in styles is why college football is more fun than the pros, btw, despite the obvious moral problems with it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    new thread, new leaf
    time for winning

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    And, while creating some sort of minor league or developmental system to create better players may be a good idea (from a on-field product perspective), there are just a whole host of issues why it wouldn't happen. The fact that the NFL and its teams would necessarily spend money to create and maintain such a product is only part of it. To offset costs, they'd try and market the fucking thing and hype the shit out of broadcasting games that are, essentially, extended versions of pre-season efforts and mostly filled with bodies who'll pretty much never make it. There are reasons why other minor leagues get little to no TV exposure.

As bad as it may be that it's difficult for certain positions to develop into the pro level, frankly, most teams are okay with it. There are so few that have managed to, in this case, build a solid and functioning offensive line that it's pretty much the same for everybody else. Two, perhaps three decent players and a couple of bodies to complete the set. Get to the playoffs and see what happens. Or, as many teams seemingly do, who gives a shit about the playoffs when they rake in the money anyway and not play for a top quality OL.

One of the 'other' solutions is to somehow force college teams to adopt NFL tactics. Making the NCAA a de facto minor league system. And that would highlight even further that they aren't getting compensated and the NCAA/colleges sure as shit don't want to open that little box.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/10/cowboys-fan-suffers-third-degree-burns-putting-on-flaming-dallas-jersey-after-loss-to-packers/?utm_term=.e1c9395e651a

Florida Man is a Dallas Fan apparently

The 27-year-old man was watching the game at home with his family, and he agreed to a wager with a woman he was with, who was rooting for Green Bay. The fan of the losing team would have to burn his or her jersey, and when Dallas fell to Aaron Rodgers and Co., the man went outside to set his Cowboys gear aflame.

That might have been the end of it, except that the man then had an idea he would soon regret: He would put on the jersey. While it was burning.

From the newspaper’s account:

A witness told Sebastian Daily, “He was set on fire after losing a bet on the Cowboys game … Skin was hanging off his arm and back.”

The man suffered third-degree burns on his right arm and right hand and second-degree burns to his back.

After family members pulled the jersey off the man, they rushed him to a hospital, where he reportedly told police that he was drunk.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/10/cowboys-fan-suffers-third-degree-burns-putting-on-flaming-dallas-jersey-after-loss-to-packers/?utm_term=.e1c9395e651a

The 27-year-old man was watching the game at home with his family, and he agreed to a wager with a woman he was with, who was rooting for Green Bay. The fan of the losing team would have to burn his or her jersey, and when Dallas fell to Aaron Rodgers and Co., the man went outside to set his Cowboys gear aflame.

That might have been the end of it, except that the man then had an idea he would soon regret: He would put on the jersey. While it was burning.

A witness told Sebastian Daily, “He was set on fire after losing a bet on the Cowboys game … Skin was hanging off his arm and back.”

The man suffered third-degree burns on his right arm and right hand and second-degree burns to his back.

After family members pulled the jersey off the man, they rushed him to a hospital, where he reportedly told police that he was drunk.

I mean, even if he wasn’t drunk, he’d probably say he was drunk, so he’d have some kind of excuse.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I mean, even if he wasn’t drunk, he’d probably say he was drunk, so he’d have some kind of excuse.

He probably thinks players should stand.

This discussion has been closed.