As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Veldime Victory!] Disgaea: Phalla of Darkness | Finale: Rhapsodic Intervention

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was a healer!~

But i didn't get to heal anything... :(

Rend on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    Locus wrote: »
    For all the talk about the demons being invincible, that Ardor/Smasher combo role was brutal.

The role itself wasn't actually as powerful as it seemed; we were essentially just a vigilante/guardian mason combo, which was hardly out of line with the other powers in the game. What ended up keeping me alive forever was the items; the Falcon up on Ardor gave me an extra night after he died, then you had to kill him again, and then the bucket saved me the night after that. We actually had one more guard from an item for last night, but events went otherwise.

Ironically, the night he came back to life, you were wide open to attack. His item-based revival removed your invulnerability.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm kind of surprised the assembly wasn't used to attempt to affect game mechanics more.
    If I or B:L had been made the representative, we would've tried to create a special "Spectrum 5" win condition, also later in the game, we tried to get Infidel converted to the good guys.

Unfortunately, this never came to pass.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A spectrum 5 win condition would have been such genius, especially if it had been carried out.

It was all semi-annoying since every time I checked back the thread had grown 45 pages, but the spectrum stuff was also pretty hilarious.

Rend on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I may recall more shenanigans as I browse my notes, but the absolute top crown go to:

The Spectrum Five.

Remember that bum rush vote switch they pulled to switch the Rep. vote to TehSpectre?

They lost by one vote. The one that TehSpectre didn't make.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Thief
    cj iwakura wrote:
    thief.jpg

You are a Thief in the service of Veldime.

You must see all the Demons destroyed to obtain a victory.

Additionally, you may attempt to steal a player's item each night. If a player has no item, you have a 50/50 chance of learning their role instead.

Be quick of feet, and even quicker of hand.

These guys turned out to be much deadlier than I thought.
    Well, what else do you expect for Garret? :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Jester tried to kill Smasher on night 7, but was guarded. I think by Gumpy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Thief
    cj iwakura wrote:
    thief.jpg

You are a Thief in the service of Veldime.

You must see all the Demons destroyed to obtain a victory.

Additionally, you may attempt to steal a player's item each night. If a player has no item, you have a 50/50 chance of learning their role instead.

Be quick of feet, and even quicker of hand.

These guys turned out to be much deadlier than I thought.
    Well, what else do you expect for Garret? :b

Well, at least he wouldn't have been RPGFan watermarked.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's your fault, though. :b

BTW, do you intentionally make your images have a crappy quality? No offense meant.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yep, the Spectrum Five tried their damnedest to lose the game for us.

Luckily, Zot had his priorities straight.

cheez on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Locus wrote: »
    For all the talk about the demons being invincible, that Ardor/Smasher combo role was brutal.

The role itself wasn't actually as powerful as it seemed; we were essentially just a vigilante/guardian mason combo, which was hardly out of line with the other powers in the game. What ended up keeping me alive forever was the items; the Falcon up on Ardor gave me an extra night after he died, then you had to kill him again, and then the bucket saved me the night after that. We actually had one more guard from an item for last night, but events went otherwise.

Ironically, the night he came back to life, you were wide open to attack. His item-based revival removed your invulnerability.

Oh shit. He told me about the removed invulnerability when he guarded me the next night, but somehow I failed to put two and two together there.

I have no idea why I wasn't attacked that night.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I fucked up on saving Ardor the night he died. I had an item that gave me an extra vote if I had pink in the same post, which I think would have been enough to keep him alive.

Unfortunately, I forgot that vote close was dictated by the time rather than when cj said vote was closed. Oops.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Unfortunately, I forgot that vote close was dictated by the time rather than when cj said vote was closed. Oops.
    Yeah. I blew a Scry chance that night CJ moved up the vote close time.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Venture Brothers Phalla is good to go. Sign up or be destroyed.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's your fault, though. :b

BTW, do you intentionally make your images have a crappy quality? No offense meant.

In a sense, yes. I went for shorter load times over quality. I had a LOT of images to upload.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of the item, nice try at tricking me with it Infidel.

He gave me the item the day he died, telling me to be sure to give it to someone safe. Of course to use the item you have to make a vote post with pink in it in the thread, which would effectively out a member of the network to them! I considered giving it to a random person I found suspicious, but since Infidel was the one who gave it to me he would have told the rest of the demons about it already. Maybe I could have done that anyway and used it as a seering if that person didn't die the next day.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I may recall more shenanigans as I browse my notes, but the absolute top crown go to:

The Spectrum Five.

Remember that bum rush vote switch they pulled to switch the Rep. vote to TehSpectre?

They lost by one vote. The one that TehSpectre didn't make.
    I was busy with something else! I got around to checking the thread 1 minute too late. I was very sad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    One other quirk I remembered: 'Overkill' on night 7 referred to Laharl/FWD and Etna/Aldo both targeting Stew_Stick, then Ash/Ardor and Jennifer/Zot both targeting Pretentious.

Venture Brothers Phalla is good to go. Sign up or be destroyed.

Is this Grundl's, or robothero's? O_o Or both?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What did the codes do?
    (e.g. u349fladjreiw02394)

durax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    2004492581767851232_rs.jpg

This needed to be posted again, for awesomeness.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, would we have been able to pass the Spectrum 5 win condition or the convert Infidel to the good guys things?

Were we just crazy, or did we have a shot?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Needs more Item World portal.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's entirely possible, had enough bribes been done.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, would we have been able to pass the Spectrum 5 win condition or the convert Infidel to the good guys things?

Were we just crazy, or did we have a shot?

It depends on the way you phrased the proposal, but I would have likely thought of something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    durax wrote: »
    What did the codes do?
    MD5 hash.

I didn't know what to do with mine, either.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One other quirk I remembered: 'Overkill' on night 7 referred to Laharl/FWD and Etna/Aldo both targeting Stew_Stick, then Ash/Ardor and Jennifer/Zot both targeting Pretentious.
    I tried to bluff Zot into believing I still had the bucket and so attacking me would be a waste, so they should seer me instead. And when they seered me as evil, they'd try to vote me out :P (according to my plan, at least)
    But it didn't work.
    My other antics that night included telling Ardor that Stew_Stick had told me that TehSpectre wasn't the vigilante. Why Stew? Because FWD was going to kill him anyway. But then Zot like, "confirmed" that Stew_Stick was the seer (should have known that was a bad sign, but I was desperate) so I went to the proboard going all 'Oh man Stew's the seer, off him" and I guess Aldo switched over to killing Stew as well.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I was doing my damnedest Smasher. :) I wish I would have lived past day 4, I had a lot of info I could have helped with towards end game.

I didn't know Cheez killed me too, since Zot did it also and he was filled with remorse heh.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    durax wrote: »
    What did the codes do?
    MD5 hash.

I didn't know what to do with mine, either.

Yeah, this. The code was the hash of the phrase "The person explaining this message is a member of the network." (minus quotes) I gave them that phrase and an online site people could use to verify the hash.

I'm almost disappointed that never became necessary.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    an online site people could use to verify the hash.
    I couldn't figure out how to do this, actually.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Forgot one little thing to share:

The Baal Prophecy.
    cj iwakura wrote:
    You've heard whispers, fearful rumors in the darkness.

The true Lord of Nightmares, Baal.

baal.jpg

Confined to oblivion long ago, legend says he is never far from the Netherworld.

Perhaps if the Overlords combine their influence, you will see the terror of his power unleashed on those who would dare defy him.

There are those out there with the capacity to bring the demons together.

You would do well to seek them out, but exert caution with the sharing of your trust.

Was given to all Overlords after night 2. Pram(Pretentious) had a heads up in the role PM, but a vague one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Infidel wrote: »
    Well if he targeted differently (he should have attacked the guardian of course) and put his vote on the guarded guy...

Kill the two, dodge the vote, third eats the vote, hey look I won.

With the proper setup (I didn't know if Nion would figure it out or not) it was 50/50 for him to win.

This was what I was going for. I just didn't know who the guardian was. I did, however, know that El Skid was a special, as I'd seered him with an item. But, it doesn't really matter when my 50/50 chance failed anyway.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    an online site people could use to verify the hash.
    I couldn't figure out how to do this, actually.

At the site I linked to (http://people.eku.edu/styere/Encrypt/JS-MD5.html) you just put the phrase in the top box, hit the Calculate Hash button, and it appears below it.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, how exactly did Nion have a 50/50 chance to dodge the vote? What granted him that ability?

cheez on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He was found guilty by the tribunal and accepted the judgement

El Skid on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How wonderful...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just want to pop in and say that the next person who says voting out inactives hurts the village:

NUTS TO YOU!

I suspected Nion since day 2.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just want to pop in and say that the next person who says voting out inactives hurts the village:

NUTS TO YOU!

I suspected Nion since day 2.

Voting out inactives hurts the village.

Notice who kept pushing for the Zellpher vote?

cheez on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When it comes to evils, there's usually one spokesman and the rest stay quiet as to avoid notice.
    Yes, evils can use inactive voting to keep the attention off of themselves, but I'd still rather vote off an inactive than someone who's actually having fun, even if they are evil.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the fun game CJ Iwakura, I always love participating in your games.

Close game too.

Ardor on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Indeed. T'was a very fun game. Even if Gumpy got to be the main character :P

El Skid on