As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    My family seemed to like Betrayal at House on the Hill despite me fucking up and doing haunt 47 as the traitor while they did haunt 46.

I have the expansion but haven't opened it. Is there a reason to add it in now or does it not make sense until you've done a lot of the original scenarios?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    i really want to play SLAR.

What is For-Ex?

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I posted about it a little further up last page. It's the next game coming from Hollandspiele and designed by Tom Russell. Should be out sometime on the next weekish. Its a game about trading currencies that looks totally inscrutable to me, and totally fascinating.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hadn't posted here yet, but the Splendor expac arrived over the weekend. It looks gorgeous! Beautiful quality and very clear rulebooks. I really appreciate that they included the Dutch translation along with the original English rules. That way I can easily play this with my family and with international friends.

Now to actually play it...

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    SHUX is officially over and I'm dead tired. Time to rest and head home tomorrow morning.

Working in the library was great. Got to make people happy just recommending new games to them. Huge hits (high turnover) included, in no particular order:

Flipships
    Sagrada
    Santorini
    Modern Art
    Burgle Bros
    Hardback (only copy in existance)
    Inis
    Magic Maze
    Great Western Trail

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Damnit, that list doesn't help my current board game buying conundrum. That being Burgle Bros or Inis?

Campy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    My family seemed to like Betrayal at House on the Hill despite me fucking up and doing haunt 47 as the traitor while they did haunt 46.

I have the expansion but haven't opened it. Is there a reason to add it in now or does it not make sense until you've done a lot of the original scenarios?

Add it in, it just adds more of the same with a very few scenarios using a traitor mechanic instead of an outright betrayal

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Damnit, that list doesn't help my current board game buying conundrum. That being Burgle Bros or Inis?

Co-op vs Competitive preference should be the decider there; both are good games.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Co-op vs Competitive preference should be the decider there; both are good games.

I've heard more consistent good things about Burgle Bros than I have Inis. Haven't played either tho.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

I've heard more consistent good things about Burgle Bros than I have Inis. Haven't played either tho.

I've played both and love Burgle Bros. Inis I'd play again but it's sort of lost on the group I usually game with because zone control stuff is not really most of our deal or preference.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I was really interested in Burgle Bros but when I saw I missed out on the multiple level game board my interest died sobbing

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Burgle Bros is both great and really accessible. It's probably the best game I've ever Kickstarted. Haven't played Inis though.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I love Inis but I am also hesitant to recommend Inis any more because it has regularly fallen completely flat for me when I introduce it to people. It's just a real love it or hate it kind of game, and it tends to give a negative first impression even for people who might end up loving it. If at all possible id try that one before buying it.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I love Inis but I am also hesitant to recommend Inis any more because it has regularly fallen completely flat for me when I introduce it to people. It's just a real love it or hate it kind of game, and it tends to give a negative first impression even for people who might end up loving it. If at all possible id try that one before buying it.

My first game of Inis was pretty amusing. I screwed up the reading/telling of the victory condition rules, so our playthrough was impossible to actually finish. I still loved it, though. There's an expansion in the works, too!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

The only reason not to add it would I think be because there are more rooms and things to learn as a result.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    hey nerds

i have both editions of War of the Ring, the FFG and the Ares 2nd ed (both with the expansions) but I gotta get rid of one.

Which one is better?

• Options
    mail them both to me and i'll let you know after a while.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    hey nerds

i have both editions of War of the Ring, the FFG and the Ares 2nd ed (both with the expansions) but I gotta get rid of one.

Which one is better?

why....what....why would have both both editions?

I think Ares 2nd edition with expansion is usually agreed to be better.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Question for anyone who's done the Rising Tide scenario for Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
    we got done with the Rising Tide scenario, guessed wrong on the cultist, and when they were revealed we couldn't figure out the logic behind it.

What we found:

-Detective Blake being a big jerk. But he did have a child's drawing in his office thanking him for finding his pet, so he can't be bad!

-Bobby Foster having an item delivered to the hotel. We sneak into the store safe and find out it's a cultist sigil. Enough proof? But his account is that everyone of importance in town has a piece of jewelry and he ordered a matching piece. We later find his journal in Sylvia Marsh's house. It revealed that he was a long lost relative of the Marsh family and wanted to come to town to rejoin the family and its connections. Sylvia Marsh also had a fancy piece of exotic jewelry, so Bobby's story holds up. Although suspicious, nothing explicitly implicates Bobby Foster as a cultist. If merely being a Marsh is enough evidence, then surely Sylvia Marsh is guilty too.

-Joyce Little the book store lady being...bookish. We found a book from her store lying in a puddle. She says she sold it to Bobby Foster. Bobby said he did purchase it, but it didn't have anything useful and he must have lost it. Nothing else at all regarding book store lady.

-Town drunk Zadok being a raving drunken madman ranting about terrible things he's seen before violently lunging at us and pasing out.

-Sylvia Marsh dismissing us every chance she gets. We finally talk to her in her residence, and she just repeats how important her family is. Underneath a stone in her garden, we find ritual components evidence! Ding ding ding! Detective Blake is hanging out on the street outside.

Time comes to guess. We have it narrowed down to Bobby Foster or Sylvia Marsh. Lots of suspicious things about Bobby, but it could all be chalked up just trying to rejoin a powerful wealthy family and wanting to fit in. No smoking gun implicating him other than secretly being a Marsh family member. However, Sylvia Marsh is also a Marsh family member and we found cult ritual components hidden on her property. Anything pointing to Bobby also applied to Sylvia, but Sylvia also had definite cult items with no story to explain it away. So we chose to follow Sylvia on the final day.

Turns out we were wrong. The actual cultists were Bobby Foster and...Joyce Little? Huh? Absolutely nothing we found pointing to Joyce in the slightest. We did miss quite a few search spots, but nothing that was anywhere near Joyce. Every single dealing with her had nothing suspicious at all. She sold an unnamed book to Bobby and that's it. I guess we missed something, I dunno.

Bobby would have been our 2nd guess, but again the circumstantial stuff could have been explained by his story plus anything pointing to him could just as easily applied to Sylvia Marsh. Then we found actual practicing cult material at Sylvia's residence so that sealed the deal for us.

Can anyone explain what you're supposed to look for? We don't get how finding the Cult Sigil unique item evidence on Bobby marked him as a cult member but finding Ritual Components unique item evidence on Sylvia did not. No evidence that the components were planted on Sylvia's property, other than Detective Blake hanging out outside and Sylvia expecting him. But then Blake wasn't a cultist so we don't know.

How are you supposed to deduce the cultists?

Anyone have any success stories with the Shattered Bonds scenario? Success with only 1-2 investigators? Our 2 player team lasted a whole five turns before being overwhelmed.

MrBody on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So in our Gloomhaven session yesterday we discovered we've been calculating scenario level incorrectly. We thought we've been playing at -1 difficulty. Turns out we've been playing ~+2 every scenario. We weren't dividing our average level by 2. Finally figured it out because our average level was 7 and I was wondering, "What happens when the Cragheart levels up again?"

Whoops.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Do you like card games? Does Potato Pirates as a theme intrigue you? How about learning introductory programming concepts?

Then I'm not saying you should go to Kickstarter and search for Potato Pirates. Nope, not saying to do that at all.
    $22 (~$30 after shipping to the US) for the game which includes cards, potato balls, and storage bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwFhAExJ9vg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Huh.

OGRE got a buggy digital edition on Steam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBnQ7x1-10

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FFG just announced another Elder Signs expansion based on the app.

Man, how many more scenarios does that thing have?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Sweet! Now I just gotta get around to playing 2/4 expansions still in their boxes.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Sweet! Now I just gotta get around to playing 2/4 expansions still in their boxes.

I think I incorporated Unseen Forces into the base game (the one that adds blessed/cursed dice and more rooms to the museum), but the other modes are being kept more or less separate.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I played Codenames Duet last night for the first time since buying it. It's pretty cool. It's nice that unlike in the regular, competitive game, if one person has an easy side it's still pretty damn hard. We tried the first of the campaign scenarios and we lost, but due to assassin not the more difficult rules.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    At the bachelor and bachelorette party I went to a couple of weeks ago, we saw our first legit 5 word clue, and we all lost our collective minds from the time it was said to 10 minutes after we picked the assassin and lost the game. :biggrin: Such a great game!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Huh.

OGRE got a buggy digital edition on Steam.

It was one of the stretch goals in the OGRE: Designer's Edition kickstarter.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Stretch goals:
    $100,000: Buggy digital edition.
    $200,000: We'll take the bugs out.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

I think I incorporated Unseen Forces into the base game (the one that adds blessed/cursed dice and more rooms to the museum), but the other modes are being kept more or less separate.

I did the same, then I bought a very cheap second hand copy of the base game (mainly for it's components, chucked most of the cards) and put that with Gates of Arkham together in it's own box.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Infinity's arena combat spin off game Aristeia! has a site now. There's still not much to it aside from the 8 models that'll make up the characters and that it's on a hex based board but the models are real good and span the Infinity range of weird and wonderful vs more down to earth looking designs.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This 7th Continent kickstarter is stressing me out. All the optional buys add up to a significant amount of money, but I am having a serious case of the "But what if I love it?!"-itis since this will be the only opportunity to get it.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    This 7th Continent kickstarter is stressing me out. All the optional buys add up to a significant amount of money, but I am having a serious case of the "But what if I love it?!"-itis since this will be the only opportunity to get it.

There will be a secondary market. Don't overspend. It's just a boardgame, we all have plenty of boardgames to play.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

There will be a secondary market. Don't overspend. It's just a boardgame, we all have plenty of boardgames to play.

That's the argument I'm using to justify buying everything (other than the $19 playmate they just put out). If I decide I'm not into it, I can always sell them off for at least what I paid (I expect).

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I might be self-justifying but everything ive seen and read about the gameplay of 7th continent has really grabbed me. I honestly think that I can't not like the game at this point...so im going mostly all in. (I dont need to sleeve all the cards...but enough for just the action cards is cheap enough..and i dont need the notebook or the dice...but all the expansions, Yes, I've already added to my total. Can't wait for it, even if its 5-6 months away from delivery of the base game.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

and the secondary market will jack the prices up insanely due to rarity. Not saying you NEED to get them, but don't make it seem like it will be easy or regular price to find them.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the opinions chaps and chapesses! I've got enough heavy competitive games in my collection for now, so it'll round out the other end with Burgle Bros.

• Options
    Yeah, all signs point to this being the easiest, cheapest way you'll ever have to get this stuff. It's already more expensive than the first KS. Waiting for the secondary market if your main concern is already the steep price is NOT a logical move

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    How do you play Great Western Trail without getting your hands on a cowboy? My first score, and income for that matter, was half that of my girlfriend because I couldn't get that first cowboy for cow-shopping for a while. And cowboys are tied to the job market.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do you play Great Western Trail without getting your hands on a cowboy? My first score, and income for that matter, was half that of my girlfriend because I couldn't get that first cowboy for cow-shopping for a while. And cowboys are tied to the job market.

Just to make sure, you know that the first, full-color employee on your private board counts as having 1, right? I'll agree that am early 2nd one is valuable depending on the market, but you're also using a pretty big hunk of your early cash between hiring the cowboy and buying the cattle so it kind of has to be pretty rewarding.